Sponsored by:

Question bout Clearing Headlights for 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question bout Clearing Headlights for 3G TL

Hello everyone,

i have been reading all about clearing out the headlights and i have called up a few places around my area (BOSTON, MA) and no one does it for me. i'm hoping someone owns a 3G TL in the area and has gotten it done somewhere and can be oh so nice to tell me where they have done it. Thank you very much.

Also, if you know of any place in the BOSTON area which do excellent AND clean jobs for any other type of mods (body kids, tints, etc) for 3G TLs please let me know. Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
i remember that its not legal in some places..... make sure it is in Mass.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 PM
9th Gear

i think its legal as long as you dont have different color turn signal bulbs (like blue, etc).
Old 04-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
its not legal ANYWHERE
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.........what he said
Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Instructor

its legal to have clear corners so long as it blinks amber when signalling. you can get around the fugliness of having your corner signals look like "egg yolks" by getting the philips silvervisions which make the corner look clear but blinks amber.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Doesn't the US car need to have "amber" or "yellow" in the front??

Originally Posted by BTL05
its legal to have clear corners so long as it blinks amber when signalling. you can get around the fugliness of having your corner signals look like "egg yolks" by getting the philips silvervisions which make the corner look clear but blinks amber.
I guess so. As long as your front has the "amber" or "yellow" light plus the reflex items, they don't care whether your headlight is clear or not. Some cars have their amber light mounted on the front bumper or lower fender, our cars have it on the headlight's corner.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:41 PM
05 WDP TL

i just cleared my headlights myself this weekend i just emailed sylvania and they replied saying the bulb size 7443 is not available in the silverstar bulb sizes....any body know what other turn signal bulbs i can use? the stock clears ones look kinda yellow...

thanks
wes
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Question Pics please

Please if possible could you post some pics of the cleared versus non cleared headlamp assemblies so we can see exactly whats been done.

Your last sentence concerns me. Are you looking for whiter signal lamps to use on cleared headlamps ?

Correct me if I am wrong but I'm thinking clearing the headlights is not going to be legal anywhere because it removes the amber assembly which is a non illuminated reflective element. As I recall it was in the sixties that the reflectors became mandatory on all four corners then in the early seventies for the mandatory illuminated corner marker lamps or signal lights visible from the side of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by madehtsobi
i just cleared my headlights myself this weekend i just emailed sylvania and they replied saying the bulb size 7443 is not available in the silverstar bulb sizes....any body know what other turn signal bulbs i can use? the stock clears ones look kinda yellow...

thanks
wes
Old 05-09-2005, 11:57 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are funny..... talk about people who talk even if they dont know what the actual law is....

here is something from california... you guys should maybe look the rules up in your state before making claims on here. if you don't know something, then say that you dont know and dont type anything down.

if there is something that you think is true, but are not sure... then say, i THINK or im not sure, BUT....

take a peek

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve
Old 05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

I am the LAW. I say clear that shit and don't put any color turn signals and you are ok in NJ.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Those who said you can clear the lens so long as the bulb burns yellow/amber are correct. What is illegal is blinking white lights (or blue, green, etc.). Some BMW's have clear turn signal lenses up front (factory option)...they pass. Same goes for the rear turn signals, they can have a clear lens, but must blink yellow or red...ie, RX330.

In fact, with regards to lights on a car, the only certainty is that the brake lights must have a red lens. Remember back in the day you could get clear-outs for the rear that were totally white? You could hardly see if someone had thier lights on, and when they hit the brake, they were a light pink. Within 2 years, the only clear-outs you could get had a red portion on the lens with the rest clear. Why? All white was not only illegal, but causing accidents. Even GTO black-out covers say they are not meant to be used on the road.

So, if you want to clear your turn signal lenses, knock yourself out...just get a yellow/amber bulb or have a friend who does inspections. Either way, some of you are quite lucky compared to me...in NC, you can't smoke or tint any of your lights, regardless of whether you can still see them clearly (like with Rockblockers).
Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Banned

let's get back on topic. Who here has instruction on how to clear the lense?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

search???
Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by chill_dog
ya. what he said!

here is yet ANOTHER thread about headlights...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115291

you wont see the instructions there directly, there is ANOTHER LINK to the instructions in THAT THREAD

i wonder if people just do not see the SEARCH button anymore. or maybe people just dont search. which is understandable.

but i hate it when people say "i searched and i cant find anything on......"
Old 05-10-2005, 10:08 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by triggle
Please if possible could you post some pics of the cleared versus non cleared headlamp assemblies so we can see exactly whats been done.

Your last sentence concerns me. Are you looking for whiter signal lamps to use on cleared headlamps ?

Correct me if I am wrong but I'm thinking clearing the headlights is not going to be legal anywhere because it removes the amber assembly which is a non illuminated reflective element. As I recall it was in the sixties that the reflectors became mandatory on all four corners then in the early seventies for the mandatory illuminated corner marker lamps or signal lights visible from the side of the vehicle.

i will try to get some pics asap for you guys...but one of my headlights is messed up so its fogged up while the other is fine...i didnt blow dry the other headlight enough so thats why it is fogged up and i broke the middle chrome piece and tried super glue and that crap got on the lens so that corner is messed up....the amber reflector did not pop out like the other side...i had to use a small drill bit so that it would come loose!

anyways im looking for some 7443 signal bulbs that will light up amber or i may even try the super white led i saw on ebay.

i drove behind a cop today and nothing...maybe at night if i had the super white corner they might be suspicious. but man....if your car is not "Souped" up i wouldnt worry that much..its more of a luxury car so it pretty much looks like a regular car and not one thats dropped and has the weed eater exhaust sound so cops wont really notice you...thats my opinion though.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by traidsganster
let's get back on topic. Who here has instruction on how to clear the lense?

i dont have instructions but all i used where couple flat head screwdrivers and blowdryer and then this "seal up" glue!! took me 3hrs from start to finish this mod all by myself!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Shift_faster

Cleared lights are illegal. I know because I have them. I will only speak for NY so here goes. You need a amber reflector in the front. It is not just the color of the blinking bulb.

Someone brought up BMW's with cleared lenses from the factory. If you notice, the cars with "cleared" headlights from the factory have an orange reflector glued to the bumper. That is the only way that it becomes legal. NOT the amber in the bulb.

However, cops will rarely pull you over for cleared headlights. If you have yearly inspections, either hope that they don't notice or go to a hole-in-the-wall place.

See M3 pic below. Notice the amber reflector on the bumper.

Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you have to take the entire assembly off to replace the signal bulbs, or is that only for the xenons?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Do you have to take the entire assembly off to replace the signal bulbs, or is that only for the xenons?

nah....u just need the take off the two front clips right in front of the wheels and push down on the clip and pull out and then just twist out the signal bulb! i havent checked on how to replace the hid's yet
Old 05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
05 WDP TL

ok...here are pics of my do it yourself cleared headlights with one of them messed up

i will try to take some more tomorrow!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 PM

wow, that is really bad. get that dry in there and stuff the edges with sealant. fill that puppy up.

it hurts to look at that
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Frightening to think mine could look like that if I tried to do it myself.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 PM

i think he has discouraged a lot of people from doing this mod. if i saw that before i did mine, i probably never would have done it
Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned

WTF happened to your passenger side?? Why is it foggy? ayethetiense did it perfectly..

now you just discouraged me. I got a WDP
Old 05-11-2005, 10:29 PM
05 WDP TL

sorry but just wanted you guys to see what a good one and a bad one looks like...

i just didnt give it enough time to dry/seal/cure properly...i blew dry the left side and let it sit there while i pryed apart the right side and right after that i installed it because i was rushed to get somewhere...

please dont be discouraged...its not hard at all...ive done it before on my civic and no foggy no problems.....first time happened..

im getting a new headlight soon and will do it properly this time and will post up the new pics after i get it done...hopefully within a week!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Damn...seeing the left side REALLY makes me want to do it (I have WDP, too), but the whole not-passing-inspection thing bugs me. I'm a little discouraged by the right one, but it more just emphasizes that you should take your time, do it right, and don't spare the silicon. Those that have cleared them, do you pass your inspections honestly or do you know someone?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
05 WDP TL

im not due for inspection for awhile but i doubt they will look or be that strict on the headlights. just maybe change your bulb to orange and say it came like that...i doubt the people that work at those inspection places "know" how each cars headlight looks like and can say that illegal or what not.....if they do say you can't pass...goto another one..im sure there are more than "1" in your area....
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

When someone assembles it make sure you have someone take pics of putting the silicon in place. I am not 100% sure how to do that. In addition, what is the name of the silicon you are using?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by crazymjb
When someone assembles it make sure you have someone take pics of putting the silicon in place. I am not 100% sure how to do that. In addition, what is the name of the silicon you are using?

its called "SEAL ALL" and i got it at walmart and it cost like 2-3 bucks...

when you take the headlight apart...youlll have two pieces the front clear plastic and the black back part....put the sealer on the black back part and just lay the front part in and push in!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

K, and I dont have to worry about the stuff getting on the part of the light you can see? What is the recomended dry time, and should I apply pressure, how much. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 PM
05 WDP TL

well...anything you do you have to take your time and be careful...this "seal all" is kinda "stringy" meaning once you squeeze it out and you want to stop there is like this stringy excess you have to becareful of, but its still liquidy so its easy to wipe off if you get on the lens or whatever.

it says cure time is like 2-4 hours, but when i did my other side i just used the blow dryer but with cold air and blew around it for about 5-10 minutes for it to partial cure up and did the other side and left it sitting there

and just enough pressure so it will sorta hold. can't tell you how much but you should be able to know when you do it yourself. just make sure you get the clips and that arrow part on the corner to stick in the hole!

wish me luck on getting another right side headlight!!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 PM

ok look. once its all sealed.... i'll repeat again because i cant stress this enough

once you put silicone and seal it back together. let it set for a few hours.

THEN go back to it and stuff the edges with more silicone. fill up the gaps. you wont be able to see about 90 percent of those edges once the headlights is on anyway. not noticeable at all

MAKE SURE YOU FILL THE GAPS!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Ill wait 5 hours for it to cure . Just to be sure. From the looks of it I am gonna have to do this without telling my parents. So midnight to 6 AM.(dog wakes em up at 6). I'll prolly be able to talk my father into helping me.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
ok look. once its all sealed.... i'll repeat again because i cant stress this enough

once you put silicone and seal it back together. let it set for a few hours.

THEN go back to it and stuff the edges with more silicone. fill up the gaps. you wont be able to see about 90 percent of those edges once the headlights is on anyway. not noticeable at all

MAKE SURE YOU FILL THE GAPS!

you are right!!! the more silicone the better and let it set for a few hours!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:19 PM
05 WDP TL

yay!!!!! i just won the ebay auction for my new right side headlight so i can replace this one!!!!! i will post more pics once i get this new headlight and try to take some pics along the way!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by madehtsobi
yay!!!!! i just won the ebay auction for my new right side headlight so i can replace this one!!!!! i will post more pics once i get this new headlight and try to take some pics along the way!
sweet! congrats man. how much did you get it for?

wana send me your old one? maybe i can work on it and figure something out that would make em look better.

dont wana experiment with one that i would put back on my ca ras a the permament one. but if your just ogna toss your old one anyway, might as well try and see what i can come up with
Old 05-13-2005, 06:25 PM
05 WDP TL

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
sweet! congrats man. how much did you get it for?

wana send me your old one? maybe i can work on it and figure something out that would make em look better.

dont wana experiment with one that i would put back on my ca ras a the permament one. but if your just ogna toss your old one anyway, might as well try and see what i can come up with

thanks! i won the auction for the right side headlight for my damaged ones for like 175 shipped, which i believe it a awesome deal!

actually i was going to keep it and not toss it away...

what were you thinking of? angel eyes? i wasnt too sure but that's what i have in mind!!! let me know what you wanna do....we can both work on it!!

wes

btw, whats your name?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Team NightHawk VP

im clearing mine as we speak, but should i bother taking off the HID bulb, the ballast i will take off

Quick Reply: Question bout Clearing Headlights for 3G TL