Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about registration

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Question about registration

I didn't know where to post this but I need help and an accurate answer,can you have a car registered in one name and insured in another? The car is registered in my name but insured in my cousins name because insurance is just to expensive for me for the past driving record I have. Any help would be appreciated. I live in nj. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
I think you'll need to be insured also.... When you get pulled over, cops will ask for YOUR license, registration and proof of insurance.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Jokerman

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
proof of insurance is with the car normally, If i let a firend drive my car, the insurance is in my name, but normally would cover the person driving
Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Didn't you just answer your own question?

The car is registered in my name but insured in my cousins name.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm not sure how it is where you live but i know that in CA the person who insures your car must also be on the title/registration. I know this because I recently switched to my mom's policy from my dads and they made us go to the DMV to swap their names before they would put me on the policy. You can have two names on the registration though. I have my name and my mom's.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
That's how I have it now but will I have any problems If I get pulled over and the cop sees insurance under one name and registration in another?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Perhaps you should contact your DMV or insurance company to make sure.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsrtne1
I'm not sure how it is where you live but i know that in CA the person who insures your car must also be on the title/registration. I know this because I recently switched to my mom's policy from my dads and they made us go to the DMV to swap their names before they would put me on the policy. You can have two names on the registration though. I have my name and my mom's.
really? cuz when my cousin added his wife onto the insurance policy about 2 years ago they didn't ask him to go DMV and add her to the registration, i thought as long as the car is insured it doesnt matter whose name it is under, that's based on the fact that if u get pulled over, accident is a different case.(knock on the wood)
Also I was driving my housemate's car about 4 years ago and i got pulled over for not doing a complete stop at stop sign, my name wasn't under either the title or insurance, the cop didn't say anything about but i still got a ticket for the violation, maybe they changed the law this year???
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
It depends on the insurance company's underwriting guidelines. Each insurer sets its own rules about purchasing policies. Some will not permit you to insure a vehicle unless it's in your name, but there are many who will.

It'd be wise to be at least list you as a secondary driver if you can obtain a policy that isn't in your name.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsrtne1
the car I own is in my name only but my husbands and my name are on the insurance policy. This is in NC
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by **WhItE-aNgEl**
I didn't know where to post this but I need help and an accurate answer,can you have a car registered in one name and insured in another? The car is registered in my name but insured in my cousins name because insurance is just to expensive for me for the past driving record I have. Any help would be appreciated. I live in nj. Thanks
You will need to be at least listed as a driver on your cousin's policy as a driver, which will increase the price as if you had it insured yourself. Other than that, its considered illegal, :-D.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
maybe it does have something to do with the insurance company. When I first bought my tl I wanted the registration and title to only have my name but Allstate required that my dad have his name on it too. Just recently I switched to my mom's policy with AAA and they also wanted her name on the registration along with mine.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In most states the titled owner needs to register the vehicle (this is a Dept of Motor Vehicle requirement).

Insurance companies want all regular users of the vehicle to be listed on the policy, which includes spouses, parents, kids (driving age) that live in the household. That is because they need to charge you based on the risk.

What you are doing, insuring it under your cousin, is probably not allowed by the DMV and most certainly not allowed by your insurance company. It's just that neither group are aware of what you are doing.

It's also unethical and unfair for all of us. Here's the reason...whether we like it or not, insurance companies are businesses that must turn a profit. If they are not able to charge you correctly because you are lying, then they are probably not getting the premium for the risk (you admitted that you have a suspect driving record). When the insurance company pays out for your claim, which appears to be more likely based on your admitted driving history, they will need to recoup their loss somehow.

That will come at the expense of the rest of us, who honestly report our usage to the insurance company, and who probably have a better driving history than you, and who will subsidize you.

This is just like theft from a store. Someone steals from a store, the store needs to raise prices to make up for their loss. Those of us who shop at the store pay the price.

To answer your question of can you do it - you already are doing it. Is it legitimate - no.
Is it ethical - no.
Did you just come on Zine and tell everyone that you are screwing the rest of us - yes.

I'm not trying to preach, I am a realist and am well aware that things like this happen and I can't do a damn thing about it. I just thought you would like to know what you are actually doing.