Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about brake shims..

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Question about brake shims..

When I replaced my factory original front pads on my '04 manual with a set of Rotex Gold Kevlars four years ago, I didn't remove and reuse the shims from the OEM pads. I still have those pads with the original factory shims attached. I just ordered another set of the Rotex pads because I suspect I will need to put them on the car in the next few months and I am considering using the original shims.

My question is what is the best solvent or cleaner to use on those shims to get them into like-new condition? Also, what sticky substance do you folks use on your shims to afix them to the back of the pads?

I have never had any problems with not using the shims on the Rotex pads, but since the shims are a polished stainless steel, I imagine they will prolong the life of the caliber pistons.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Registered Member

Anyone want to chime in on this? Please.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
No separate shims on the fronts with the Brembo as they are part of the pad assembly, so I would just use an anti-squeal lube on the back of the pads, but Acura recommends Molykote M77 assembly lube between the shims on the rear, I believe 2 inside 1 outside. I've always used anti-squeal lube on the back of the all pads, or shims that come in contact with the piston(s) to avoid possible high pitch noise while under light braking, and on the non-piston side where the caliper comes in contact with the back of the pad. Although the shims are in place to minimize the noise, they can also be problematic.

As far as cleaning the rear shims, I'd use good old brake cleaner and a towel.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-21-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
when i did my brakes a while back i did not re-use the shims, or get new, and all seems fine and dandy. and like Turbonut said, a grease/lube is key to making everything work properly. i wasnt picky on what i used, just picked up whatever the local auto store carried.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut
No separate shims on the fronts with the Brembo as they are part of the pad assembly, so I would just use an anti-squeal lube on the back of the pads, but Acura recommends Molykote M77 assembly lube between the shims on the rear, I believe 2 inside 1 outside. I've always used anti-squeal lube on the back of the all pads, or shims that come in contact with the piston(s) to avoid possible high pitch noise while under light braking, and on the non-piston side where the caliper comes in contact with the back of the pad. Although the shims are in place to minimize the noise, they can also be problematic.

Not on the stock factory pads for my '04 manual. The shims are separate components which can be attached or removed from the back of the pads. I just went out in my garage and there are four of them, two of which are laying loose in the box with the original pads.

What I am primarily concerned about is any potential damage to the pistons with not using the shims. I didn't use them on the Rotex pads I installed 61,000 miles ago and have not experienced any "felt" problems. The shims, being a polished stainless steel, should reduce friction between the piston cups and the shims versus the piston cups and the backs of pads without the shims. However, I have never had shims on previous pads that I have replaced with other cars, so this is new to me, hence my questions.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blkaspec
when i did my brakes a while back i did not re-use the shims, or get new, and all seems fine and dandy. and like Turbonut said, a grease/lube is key to making everything work properly. i wasnt picky on what i used, just picked up whatever the local auto store carried.
I used NAPA Sil-Glyde on the rears of the new Rotex pads when I installed them. Now a search turns up that this stuff is not the best product to use. What is your recommendation for a quality lubricant for the rear of the pads for our cars?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Turbonut

So this is what I really need to use as a lubricant for the rear of the pads? Where can you get it? Just a Honda/Acura dealer or should parts stores have it? Also, what other products are quality for this purpose?