Sponsored by:

Question about "Auto" Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question about "Auto" Climate Control

Hi, guys!

I have my TL's Climate Controls set to "Auto" and 83 degrees normally. One thing that seems pretty annoying to me is that the compressor seems to be always on and blowing cold air.

Right now, the temperatures here in the southwest are pretty nice - mid 70's most of the day. However, when I get in my TL, it gets pretty chilly even though the I have the Climate Control temperature set significantly higher than the outside temperature.

As nice as the TL is (I still luv my TL!), I sometimes miss the old-fashioned "turn-the knob somewhere between blue and red until you felt comfy" temperature control system on less sophisticated vehicles.

Has anyone figured out a way to do something like this on the TL? I haven't found any way to mix warm and cold air together as a method of adjusting the temperature. Right now, my only option seems to be to turn off the compressor by hitting the "A/C Off" button.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i am remember correctly, in the auto mode, the AC will not be on if you have the cabin temperature set higher than the actual temperature outside. i dont quite understand when you say that you want to mix warm and cold air... have you tried taking the setting off of AUTO and adjusting the temp until you're comfortable? for me its just like "turning the knob"
Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
83 degrees??? You must like sauna's! Do you have reptile syndrom? I've never seen anyone keep the temperature that high in a car.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Hey got Jazz, if you type in "auto climate control" into the search you will find many threads on this. just wanted to let you know....
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

Change the temperature to "Hi" and set the vent manually so that you can check your driverside or passenger side heater works properly.
My driverside heater was intermittenly not working properly.
I have had the problem for a year and I've been frequently visited the dealer for service.

They have changed lots of thing including air motor mixer and etc. However they finally change the controller and fixed the problem.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Advanced

You know, i had the same problem but didnt really care enough about it to look at it........... until it got cold.

When the weather started to get cold and i could actually use my heater to warm me up..... the freakin thing was NOT working... only blows cold air.

I took it back to the dealer and told him my heated seats were warming me up more then the heater is! So he took it to the back and within the hour, it was fixed.
It turned out to be some "plug disconnected" from the heater? I dont know, but they fixed it.

=)
Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
Hey got Jazz, if you type in "auto climate control" into the search you will find many threads on this. just wanted to let you know....
Sorry! I did try to think of what I could search on, but I figured "Climate Control" would give me an information overload. I'll check "auto climate control" out and see what I get. :chagrined:

Originally Posted by ehdee21
if i am remember correctly, in the auto mode, the AC will not be on if you have the cabin temperature set higher than the actual temperature outside.
I would have thought the same thing, but it apparently doesn't work quite that way. When the outside temperature is a lot cooler than the Climate Control setting (don't know how much), the vents start blowing warm air. It would be nice if the threshold was a little narrower ... and if there was a mixture of warm and cold air instead of 100% warm or 100% cold air.

Originally Posted by ehdee21
i dont quite understand when you say that you want to mix warm and cold air... have you tried taking the setting off of AUTO and adjusting the temp until you're comfortable? for me its just like "turning the knob"
I tried this, but it didn't seem to work like "turning the knob". If I had A/C on (non-AUTO), there was still too much cold air coming through the vents. With A/C off, the cabin heated up after a few minutes and I would have to turn on the A/C for a short while.

It seems to me that the "AUTO" setting automatically adjusts the following: Compressor, 100% cold (or warm) air, vent routing, and fan speed. It doesn't seem to blend the cold and warm air to hit the temperature point ... or if it does, the TL could do a better job of it, IMHO.

Originally Posted by JetJock
83 degrees??? You must like sauna's! Do you have reptile syndrom? I've never seen anyone keep the temperature that high in a car.
It's true ... and my girlfriend questions my sanity when I play golf at 115 Degrees or go hiking at 105 Degrees. I guess I've adapted pretty well to the desert!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Automobile Aficionado

83, lol, damn. i keep between 67-75 usually.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm usually between 70 and 73. Seems to adjust fairly well to me. It never is 100% on or off unless the difference between the outside and inside is super big. Maybe something wierd is going on with yours that makes there no in between. The compressor is always on, but it seems to mix the hot/coldness of the air pretty accurately and the fan speed adjusts well also.