Sponsored by:

Quartz Glass Coating

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Quartz Glass Coating

Anybody heard of Quartz Glass Coating?
Invented from Japan, I believe it is some sort of coating that will allow you to wash your car only with water, and other protection such as 15 times harder to get scratches on the body compared to other generic paint coating materials out there (if any) and 7 times harder to get scratches compared to clear bra.. and with this, no need to wax your car, it will keep it nice and shiny after a wash with water

Anybody heard of this and know if there is any place in America that does this? I know a lot of places in S. Korea and Japan do this... hmm
Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM
matty's '02TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope. Heard of good paint shops using many layers of clear coat (7-10). Apparently makes it harder to scratch / get rock chips especially. Also makes it possible to do more wet sanding / refinishing in the future if need be. I imagine this could still scratch & get swirls, though.

I wonder how many layers of clear coat we have on our TL's?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by yohan81718
Anybody heard of Quartz Glass Coating?
Invented from Japan, I believe it is some sort of coating that will allow you to wash your car only with water, and other protection such as 15 times harder to get scratches on the body compared to other generic paint coating materials out there (if any) and 7 times harder to get scratches compared to clear bra.. and with this, no need to wax your car, it will keep it nice and shiny after a wash with water

Anybody heard of this and know if there is any place in America that does this? I know a lot of places in S. Korea and Japan do this... hmm
Never heard of it. I searched on net....nothing mentioned ANYWHERE about this??
Old 01-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Never heard of it. I searched on net....nothing mentioned ANYWHERE about this??
of course... that's why I'm posting a question here =)

I heard from my good friend in Korea who is driving 350Z there (350Z is not being imported into korea through nissan, so it's kinda rare car there)

Anyways, if anybody can read some korean like me, should visit this site
http://www.q-glass.co.kr
Old 01-18-2006, 02:31 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
something similar around here (wisconsin) called diamond glaze. Its a super hard compound that is supposed to last about 1 year without needing a wax, assuming you dont use automatic car washes and all that crap.....

a buddy had it done and it looked good for about the first 2 months, but after that, not really noticeable.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnny--2k
something similar around here (wisconsin) called diamond glaze. Its a super hard compound that is supposed to last about 1 year without needing a wax, assuming you dont use automatic car washes and all that crap.....

a buddy had it done and it looked good for about the first 2 months, but after that, not really noticeable.
QGC is supposed to last many years.. they claim it to be "semi-permanent"
I guess it's not available in US
Old 01-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like it might be similar to a product called Amazing Glaze. British Airways used it to protect the paint on Concorde. I suppose if it can stand up to temperatures of 127 degrees Celsius at 1,350 mph, it can stand up to whatever our cars endure.

I have not tried it on the TL but have heard from some British friends that it's pretty good stuff, although certainly not a "one-time forever" treatment. The stuff is very expensive (£199 for the kit advertised on their site....remember that's in Sterling, so double it for US dollars).

http://www.amazingglaze.co.uk
Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Back In Black
Nope. Heard of good paint shops using many layers of clear coat (7-10). Apparently makes it harder to scratch / get rock chips especially. Also makes it possible to do more wet sanding / refinishing in the future if need be. I imagine this could still scratch & get swirls, though.

I wonder how many layers of clear coat we have on our TL's?
Probably two at most.

I painted cars for many years and the TL is the thinnest I have seen. I've buffed many scratches out of my Chevy Suburban but am extremely hesitant to even touch the TL. I hope my luck continues because my 04 TL is two+ years old without a blemish.....