Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality TL vs TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality TL vs TSX

Just Curious. The TL is made here in the US, correct? The TSX in Japan? Is there a thread that discusses the quality differences people have found, if any. I couldn't find a thread on this. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:56 PM
You touch my tra la la...

TSX has been rated higher on quality but I was drawn to the TL because it looks a lot better inside and out.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Instructor

The TSX has been rated higher in quality but then again it has been out for some time in Europe and now in the US. If you look at their web site you will see some of the same complaints on the TSX as are here about the TL. Most of the complaints are about rattles. In the end I think you will find them about the same as I'm sure Acura puts the same quality controls on their US factories as they do on their Japan factories. The TL is made at the same facotory as the Accord and that has received high ratings and is a big seller.
I think the TL suffers on some rattles due to the firm ride on the car when over rough roads. My car is quiet until I hit some rough roads.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Racer

We have both. The TSX has some added features that SHOULD have been on the TL, but otherwise the 2 cars are identical in quality (IMHO). The TL is fabulous, but I must say that there is something really special about the TSX - I seem to enjoy it a little more. Both cars are the bargains of the century.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:48 PM
You touch my tra la la...

The TSX seems like a really fun car... its smaller than the TL and feel more "zippy" even though the TL is obviously faster. I would have defintely gotten it in 6MT if I decided to go with it, since it is just an overall fun car to drive.

What do you wish the TL had that the TSX has?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSX comes w/Michelins, TL comes w/EL-42...Nuff said
Old 06-02-2004, 05:24 PM
TL Techy

The TSX price. haha
Old 06-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Advanced

TSX 200hp,TL 270hp..really nuff said :p
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The leather seats of the TSX are harder... less comfy compared to my Type S.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:28 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
tsx has same leather as accord.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:29 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcat
TSX 200hp,TL 270hp..really nuff said :p
Old 06-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
hmm

Interesting..I cross shopped the tsx vs the tl and found the quality of the TSX several notches below the TL in every way.Seats, dash materials, fit and finish, overall "feel" of car. The TSX feels like a civic si to me. Fun...but not a serious everyday car IMHO. I had a tsx as a loaver a few weeks ago and was very happy to get back into my tl. I do like the TSX looks though...
Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mindcrime
The TSX has been rated higher in quality but then again it has been out for some time in Europe and now in the US. If you look at their web site you will see some of the same complaints on the TSX as are here about the TL. Most of the complaints are about rattles. In the end I think you will find them about the same as I'm sure Acura puts the same quality controls on their US factories as they do on their Japan factories. The TL is made at the same facotory as the Accord and that has received high ratings and is a big seller.
I think the TL suffers on some rattles due to the firm ride on the car when over rough roads. My car is quiet until I hit some rough roads.

Sounds about right. I would think that the American plants must be up to par with the Japanese plants, but I have experienced American car manufacturing in the past (and currently) and have been VERY disappointed in the quality. The TL is my next vehicle, so I hope the rattles and squeaks will be remedied in future models. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

So I wonder if it would be wise to get rid of the Mustang and get a TSX instead??? hmmmmm
BTW, you want to talk about poor quality control on a car...'Mustang' is the epitome of it.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Instructor

I had a TSX loaner, and granted, the poor thing had been ridden hard and put away wet, but I thank my lucky stars that I got the TL over the TSX (was considering both). I could discern no difference in the quality of the TL over the TSX, except for the fact that (for as much bitching on this forum as there is) the vinyl/leather in the TSX felt much cheaper than the all leather in the TL and the stereo wasn't to the leve l of refinement that the TL's is...oh and that little problem of 200hp and an automatic...other than tha, they are equal cars with different missions.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92NSX
So I wonder if it would be wise to get rid of the Mustang and get a TSX instead??? hmmmmm
BTW, you want to talk about poor quality control on a car...'Mustang' is the epitome of it.
You know, last year they actually shut the Dearborn Mustang line down for a couple of days because the cars were failing QC inspections at such a high rate. Yes, Quality if Job 1 !!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLme
Sounds about right. I would think that the American plants must be up to par with the Japanese plants, but I have experienced American car manufacturing in the past (and currently) and have been VERY disappointed in the quality. The TL is my next vehicle, so I hope the rattles and squeaks will be remedied in future models. Thanks.
Shouldn't we differentiate between American car manufacturers and American car manufacturing. No doubt most GM and Fords are junk but that has more to do with the company and what they stand for in regards to quality rather than the average american automotive worker. Toyota and Honda make cars in the US and their quality ratings are still high.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Advanced

I have a Ford right now and I have never had a problem with it. The car also took a hit from a Honda when I was rear ended.. and The Honda was destroyed... my back bumper had scratches.. and that was a mustang
Old 06-03-2004, 03:38 AM
Banned

Fionn , who cares about your ford?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mindcrime
Shouldn't we differentiate between American car manufacturers and American car manufacturing. No doubt most GM and Fords are junk but that has more to do with the company and what they stand for in regards to quality rather than the average american automotive worker. Toyota and Honda make cars in the US and their quality ratings are still high.
Not to mention, the parts suppliers used by American makes vs Foreign makes fall along these same lines. There's simply a culture of quality inherrent with Japan's automakers that hardly exists with domestic automakers. That said, Garbage in, garbage out.

As far as the Europeans go they pretty much consider ANY non-European car unsophisticated and not road worthy. Including the USDM Honda Accord. Car magazine (UK) is pretty xenophobic in their review of non-European cars. I remember where they TOTALLY slammed the USDM 6G Accord coupe exported from Ohio to Europe. (While it's no Enzo or M5 or 330Ci, it does a lot of things well.) So I take their reviews on cars with a grain of salt.

Peace.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Fionn,

No disrespect but any car who hits you from behind get destroyed even a Ford.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Racer

galeforce - There are a lot of small details - The TSX has the turn-signal mirrors the TL was SUPPOSED to have, REAL fog lights below the bumper, the cargo hooks above the rear doors pull down and are damped, not just simple hooks, and so on. It seems that 2 totally different teams designed them. Other than the TL's brute power, the TSX seems more fun to drive - probably related to the size. My wife says that she likes it so much she will never buy another car! (We'll see).
Old 06-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rick955i
You know, last year they actually shut the Dearborn Mustang line down for a couple of days because the cars were failing QC inspections at such a high rate. Yes, Quality if Job 1 !!!!
That doesn't shock me at all.

I have a Ford right now and I have never had a problem with it
I haven't either unless you want to count having the following replaced under warranty.
1. Both headlights 2xs
2. Headliner
3. Floor carpet.
4. Speakers
5. Emission sensors 2xs
6. Both tailights.

Great Job1 !!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Drifting

hmm--

Originally Posted by automophile
galeforce - There are a lot of small details - The TSX has the turn-signal mirrors the TL was SUPPOSED to have, REAL fog lights below the bumper, the cargo hooks above the rear doors pull down and are damped, not just simple hooks, and so on. It seems that 2 totally different teams designed them. Other than the TL's brute power, the TSX seems more fun to drive - probably related to the size. My wife says that she likes it so much she will never buy another car! (We'll see).
I always hear the TSX is so "fun" to drive. I was expecting to get a giant grin while test driving the car...best I could muster was a smirk. When I drove the TL..it was exhilerating to say the least roaring out of second gear. Not to say I need all that power. I found the Audi A4 a ton of fun to drive. TSX just felt like too little car for me...although the car looks sweettt....
Old 06-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Bobz

I could never figure out how Acura could charge $28k for a 200hp TSX when you can get the Honda 240hp V6 for at least $2k less. I drove both cars with the 6speed and found the Honda way more fun to drive than the Acura. I ended up with the TL which right now is in a quality price niche that no one else can match right now. The TSX should be about a 24k car.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
I could never figure out how Acura could charge $28k for a 200hp TSX when you can get the Honda 240hp V6 for at least $2k less. I drove both cars with the 6speed and found the Honda way more fun to drive than the Acura. I ended up with the TL which right now is in a quality price niche that no one else can match right now. The TSX should be about a 24k car.
ya i totally agree with ya
Old 06-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Drifting

yep

I totally agree as well. I liked the 4cyl manual accord drive better than the tsx.
And it was every bit as fast...and that was about 4k less than the TSX!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Just a few items

Originally Posted by GaleForce
The TSX seems like a really fun car... its smaller than the TL and feel more "zippy" even though the TL is obviously faster. I would have defintely gotten it in 6MT if I decided to go with it, since it is just an overall fun car to drive.

What do you wish the TL had that the TSX has?
A chrome grille.
More power in the radio.
mp3
Price
weight
Old 06-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by automophile
We have both. The TSX has some added features that SHOULD have been on the TL, but otherwise the 2 cars are identical in quality (IMHO). The TL is fabulous, but I must say that there is something really special about the TSX - I seem to enjoy it a little more. Both cars are the bargains of the century.
What are these features you speak of?