Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Button Start engine mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Push Button Start engine mod.

I was considering to do push button mod on my 2005 tl.

but my only concern is that what if someone break into my tl and start the engine and drive.

i wonder if there is a protection for push-start button mod.

cheers.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:44 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
normally for a push button, either the key is in the ignition (i think this is kinda wack, it totally kills the purpose and just adds an extra step. OR you can have it so that it wont start unless the microchip is close to the ignition.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
This thread has been moved from the Performance Parts & Modifications subforum to the proper forum. Please read The "Modifications" in "Performance Parts & Modifications" announcement at the top of the Performance Parts & Modifications subforum for a full explanation.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitly more trouble than its worth.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
KPTech is working on a push button start

http://www.kptechnologies.com
Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I miss what my Infinity had, just get in and drive, no looking for hole to stick your key in....but once you summon up everything you have to do for a push start in our TLs, it's not worth it.

You need to make a lot of changes, especially the one where you car has to recognize your key fob to open doors and start the car, requiring detecting sensors to be installed in left/right mirrors..etc...etc...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Advanced

hmm i guess it looks cool but not worth risking my tl.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Sorry but I always saw push button start as a huge marketing scam. Pointless. A solution looking for a problem. Glad you reached the right conclusion.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Passat has this feature. I actually hated it when I looked at one.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
whats wrong with turning the key?

push button never really impressed me. now remote start, that does.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:29 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote start is the only thing I want added onto the TL. No push button! Stop copying off of me Ethan!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Instructor

I like push starts...like on the new g35 and my sister's altima, foot on brake, hit the button, vrooomm...key never leaves your pocket.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by limited
I like push starts...like on the new g35 and my sister's altima, foot on brake, hit the button, vrooomm...key never leaves your pocket.
Believe it or not I love this feature as well. If the new 2009 TL does not have it, it is another plus for infiniti.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too fat

Originally Posted by limited
i like the key in the ignition idea, I'm too fat so jeans are too tight to keep my keys in my pocket...cookies
Old 01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
lmfao, push button start is just like paddle shifters, they get old FAST
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by New Car TL-S
i like the key in the ignition idea, I'm too fat so jeans are too tight to keep my keys in my pocket...

Some of the transmitters are pretty darn big.

I participated in a couple of Acura-sponsored surveys about push-button starting and voted against the idea if it cost any money-- it can be a convenience maybe 2% of the time to unlock the car doors if one has hands full, but that's about it.

I also never understood those push-button starts cars where the driver has to put the module into a housing in the dash (VW, Prius?) before hitting the start button-- That's more work than putting a regular key in the ignition and turning it! :shakehead
Old 01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Race Director

I wish we did have the real keylink fob, where you can open/close doors without taking out your key fob, I miss that feature from my FX, you never had to search for keys, this was especially helpful when you carry groceries and the trunk just opens without you have to dive in your pocket and search for the keyfob. Oh well, maybe the 09 will implement this very useful feature.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Ok so if you have that unlocking feature how will you know if your doors are trully locked, everytime you get near to check they open, so you never really know if they locked, and I walk behind my car after I park so the trunk will open?

Proof: american's are lazy

All that I will say the tl needs is for the key to be put on the dash rather than the classic steering column, the type s has the self start so once you put the key in it cranks alone, I think that feature is perfect

Aside from that there is only one other thing, finger print reader rather than a keyhole
Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Aside from that there is only one other thing, finger print reader rather than a keyhole
And what about when it ices up or snows real hard?

The more "electronics" that you add to the starting operation, the greater the chances for failure! You were right the first time - we getting too lazy!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Race Director

stillhere, you really have no clue how it works do you?

ok, guys this technology is available on all Infinitis, Audi, Bmw, Benzes....use it before you knock it...on the door handle you have soft button that you press, which opens/closes doors, and you get a light flash with a chime confirmation.

It has nothing to do with being lazy, it takes care of caring a monster keyfob like Acura's, and a convenience of always being able to open/close/start the car without looking for the damn remote.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
stillhere, you really have no clue how it works do you?

ok, guys this technology is available on all Infinitis, Audi, Bmw, Benzes....use it before you knock it...on the door handle you have soft button that you press, which opens/closes doors, and you get a light flash with a chime confirmation.

It has nothing to do with being lazy, it takes care of caring a monster keyfob like Acura's, and a convenience of always being able to open/close/start the car without looking for the damn remote.
Anything that is "convenient", does in fact promote laziness...Not saying this thread will change the world, as you've stated there are many examples of this out there already in luxury cars, and even the Altima...but I'm just saying...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Race Director

OK, rationalize this then..... do you still want to use the knobs on a TV to switch between channels? Why be lazy and use a remote?!? Get up, and change the channel...

The whole point of newer technology is to provide simpler, smaller, faster and more efficient products.

One thing I do find funny, every time you get an after market head unit installed,it always comes with a remote, i feel funny using the remote knowing that I just as easy can control the head unit myself, lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Advanced

key never leaves your pocket i think that'd be sweet!!! but thanks to darksom1, i mite do remote start instead. but one thing i dont like about remote start is that it turns off the engine after few minutes if you dont plug in your key. so if you forgot to plug key in and drive car stops middle of nowhere...
Old 01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Race Director

the remote start is nice, but you still have to put the key in and turn it, but at least your car will be nice and warm already
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by dhkkim
key never leaves your pocket i think that'd be sweet!!! but thanks to darksom1, i mite do remote start instead. but one thing i dont like about remote start is that it turns off the engine after few minutes if you dont plug in your key. so if you forgot to plug key in and drive car stops middle of nowhere...
not necessarily... you can set the alarm to run as long as you want... yes you can set a limit to 5 or 20 mins before it shuts off, usually with turbo vehicles... but mine is set to constantly run until i shut it off or arrive to my car...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Once you hit the brake to put car in gear, they key takes over, if its not in there then itll just die once you hit the brake. Had this in my 89 Camry, 94 Ford Ranger, 99 Camry... So you have no worries about it dying after driving a distance.

This is in regards to a remote start which is properly installed!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:10 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
For sure having a push-button start like the BMW 3-series is a gimmick. You still have to push in your key fob. Instead of turning it you push the "start" button. They did this to emulate a race-car feel, that's all. Trying to get someone excited about firing up the engine.
The gimmick wears off the 10th time you use it.

Other systems similar to "keyless go" systems like Mercedes and others are way different. You use no keys at any time. You don't use the remote unless you want to, it just has to be in your pocket. You just open the door and push start to start the car, no keys whatsoever. My mom's Lexus has this system. I also thought maybe it's not a necessary item. Once I lived with it a bit and got used to it...my gosh I LOVED IT. It's not a gimmick at all and it's so functional and convenient. The longer you live with it, the more you'll appreciate it. Then you go back to keys and it's like going from HIDs to halogens. You'll wish every car had it. Don't knock it till you try it. I get in and I'm off! Or I park and walk out in one motion. Too cool. Lexus dosen't have any real reliabilty problems to speak of so the technology is pretty sound.

KPTech's system looks interesting. They are trying to develop an universal aftermarket system to do this....WOW. It'll be amazing if they pull this off, but I see glitches inevitable. Good luck to them.

Yeah maybe it's made for lazy americans but just as someone pointed out so were remote controls and power windows.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
One thing I do find funny, every time you get an after market head unit installed,it always comes with a remote, i feel funny using the remote knowing that I just as easy can control the head unit myself, lol.

I agree, everytime Im with someone that uses it I look at them like

I drove my friends G37. Im not saying that the push button feature isnt cool, it just doesn't impress me all that much. I actually found it to be somewhat hindering to me. But maybe Im old school.

Id rather put my key in the ignition........if ya know what I mean...........

I kid I kid....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

OK, rationalize this then..... do you still want to use the knobs on a TV to switch between channels? Why be lazy and use a remote?!? Get up, and change the channel...
Knobs?? What knobs???

Yo Tek, I still use pliers and a flathead screwdriver to change my channels playa! Knobs?? Nah...too convenient for me dawg!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
As for aftermarket systems, many of them come with remotes because for one reason it's useful on different vehicles. It may not be of much use in a TL but what if you have a van a limo or a boat? See how handy it would be there? The second reason is because the head unit is usually jammed with tiny buttons because of a big display. Once you become accustomed to the ergonomics of the remote you can use it like 2nd nature. Pioneer is really good at this. The 1st deck I bought years ago had one that fit right in my palm. I could control the whole deck even while shifting gears and making turns. I didn't have to reach or glance anywhere. My 2nd Pionner deck had a steering wheel mounted remote that is detatchable. Again this pretty much gives you the advantage of the buttons on the steering wheels that we love on our TLs. But 90% of my friends that have aftermarket decks don't use their remotes because they say it's stupid too. You see them on Ebay all day.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Other systems similar to "keyless go" systems like Mercedes and others are way different. You use no keys at any time. You don't use the remote unless you want to, it just has to be in your pocket. You just open the door and push start to start the car, no keys whatsoever. My mom's Lexus has this system. I also thought maybe it's not a necessary item. Once I lived with it a bit and got used to it...my gosh I LOVED IT. It's not a gimmick at all and it's so functional and convenient. The longer you live with it, the more you'll appreciate it. Then you go back to keys and it's like going from HIDs to halogens. You'll wish every car had it. Don't knock it till you try it. I get in and I'm off! Or I park and walk out in one motion. Too cool. Lexus dosen't have any real reliabilty problems to speak of so the technology is pretty sound.
Lex's "keyless" feature is very convenient and functional. I love that feature. no need to stick the fake key into ignition.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Could you guys please Recommend me a good remote start product? I dont wanna screw my tl up.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Race Director

I had Clifford 3.5 Matrix, but I think nowadays people recommend CompuStart.

And remember, an alarm is only as good as the person who installs it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by darksom1
Knobs?? What knobs???

Yo Tek, I still use pliers and a flathead screwdriver to change my channels playa! Knobs?? Nah...too convenient for me dawg!
:lol:

All I meant is that new technology is suppose to make our lives more efficient, get in, get out in a snap. I guess I have a New Yorker's mentality, we want to do everything fast as we are in a rush to get no where, lol.

I only miss that open/close door feature when it's raining, and I have to dig in my pockets to find the remote, instead of just pulling the handle
Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

hey anyone with remote start want to try something funny, you can only drive straight since the wheel will lockup but, in any event, pull the fuse to the break lights, then hit the breaks while the car is on no key in ignition, take the little tab off next to the shifter and put it in gear, and off you go...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, that's about as terrible as ideas get.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Race Director

stillhere153, my maxima was flat bedded like that....hmm was it you?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

heavens no I am no car thief, I just had a blown fuse in my previous car and my friend was able to move my car down the block
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by stillhere153
hey anyone with remote start want to try something funny, you can only drive straight since the wheel will lockup but, in any event, pull the fuse to the break lights, then hit the breaks while the car is on no key in ignition, take the little tab off next to the shifter and put it in gear, and off you go...
DUDE!! Puff, puff...give!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Racer

Here is the KPtech module in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6XAj0AQWA

I've pushed it about 100 times and it's still more fun then turning the key (I do realize I'm biased!).

Quick Reply: Push Button Start engine mod.