3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Extended Warranty Now or Later?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 01:02 PM
jmo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Extended Warranty Now or Later?

I will pick up my new TL in about a week, and my wife and I are deciding whether or not to buy the extended warranty now, or wait until the car is almost out of warranty to buy it. We are currently building a new house and so minimal out of pocket cash right now is best. They tell me at the dealership that to purchase the warranty down the road will add about $400 to the cost. Does anyone know of any reason that it would not be a good idea to buy it down the road instead of now? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke. You have a certain amount of time (think 6 months) before the price starts to rise (unless Acura decides to start charging more). Has the dealer said how much he wants? What is the length/mileage/deductible?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Racer

If you check the vurry acura site (they quote and sell the extended warranty online for a good price), it seems to imply that you can buy the initial extended warranty for up to 24 months after purchase at the same price. My guess is that it would be higher after that (sorta like life insurance costing you more as you get older)
Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM
jmo
Intermediate

I guess I should ask the dealer how long we would have to purchase at the initial price of $1,300/no deductable. And that is a Acura warranty, not an outside company.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:30 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Acura Care for (7yr/100K, $0 deductible) I bought, I paid $1895 for refundable pro-rated any time I want to cancel. Also at the end of the contract, if I do not use, dealer will refund it in full. I've also seen it for $1100 on Curry Acura web site. When I called and left message, nobody called me back though. Also, I do not think the Curry Acura one gives refund option after 7 years. Give it a try.

Remember the Law of Murphy though, when you buy the warranty you do not need it, when you don't you'll spend a lot of money to fix it.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

jmo...don't pay $1300 for the warranty. That's a rip off. You can get it for around $1100.

I got mine for $1150, zero deductible, refundable, transferrable.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jmo
I guess I should ask the dealer how long we would have to purchase at the initial price of $1,300/no deductable. And that is a Acura warranty, not an outside company.
jmo,
marquis is right... I got mine for 1160/- zero deductible, refundable, transferable - ACURA Extended Warranty. And I purchased my warranty 3 months after I got the car. 1300/- is a rip off... my 2c
Old 02-15-2004, 03:15 PM
never stops!

Originally posted by cullal
jmo,
marquis is right... I got mine for 1160/- zero deductible, refundable, transferable - ACURA Extended Warranty. And I purchased my warranty 3 months after I got the car. 1300/- is a rip off... my 2c

Does yours return full amount after the expiration if not used? In my case I've a written receipt from the Dealer that they'll pay it back and not the Honda. Also, I was exploring if I can cancel my current one and buy again. The contract says if cancelled the coverage cannot be reinstated. Any comments?
Old 02-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Go here--> http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura-care-quote.asp and buy it online. with $0 deductible its $1120. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the Acura care warranty, is it really "through" acura?

I currently own a 2000 VW Jetta, VW had a wonderful 24k 2year bumper to bumper warranty in 2000.

So I got an extended warranty (MasterGuard or something like that) from the Dealer for $700ish to extend to 7yrs 100k miles.

Well, the warranty is a total pain in the ass. The "claims" department isn't always open when you take a car in, you always have to go through hoops with the dealership to give them a copy of the warranty paperwork because each service tech you talk to forgets you ahve it. Sometimes you have to call the place yourself to pre-authorize work, and when you do you are talking to some guy in a boiler room in NYC whos main job is to authorize NOTHING.

I can't stand it, when something goes wrong on my car I dread having to deal with the warranty issue (not to mention finding time to take it in, etc).

So my question is, for the Acura care warranty, is it really "through" acura? Does the dealership itself get to decide coverage like it does with the bumper-to-bumper warranty?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally posted by marquis
jmo...don't pay $1300 for the warranty. That's a rip off. You can get it for around $1100.

I got mine for $1150, zero deductible, refundable, transferrable.
Marquis,

I've had my TL two weeks so far and have hemmed and hawwed about the extended warranty. Where did you buy your warranty? At the dealer? I bought my TL at Acura of Boston, but they didnt' say anything about the warranty being refundable. I've been to the Acura of Mission Viejo and Curry Acura web sites, but I think if I am going to make a move on this, I'd like to see the "refundable" part in writing first.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 02-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Racer

I bought mine from the dealer, Inskip in Warwick RI (I'm in MA, down on the south shore, so Warwick wasn't all that much of a reach for me to get to).
Old 02-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Racer

Originally posted by cullal
jmo,
I backed off on sticker price because my dealer quoted me $3000 Now, I hear from everyone getting it for much less which is closer to the cost I paid for my wife's Sienna. Is there a website in Ca that I can go to and buy direct? I will also have a word with the local sales manager for giving me a bogus number.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone here purchased a 100k/7 year/$0 ded. 04TL extended warranty for under $1100? If so, was it refundable?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Racer

Rob,

How I got my deal on the ex-warranty was that I got an email the day before from the finance person at Inskip offering this "great deal" on the ex-warranty, something like $1500 instead of the usual $1700. I wrote back and told her no way since it was way overpriced and told her I could get it online from Curry Acura for $1120. When I went in the next day to take delivery, they offered $1150 and I took it.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Racer

Jazz,

I've never seen it under $1100.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Racer

Originally posted by joganjani
cullal,
Does yours return full amount after the expiration if not used? In my case I've a written receipt from the Dealer that they'll pay it back and not the Honda. Also, I was exploring if I can cancel my current one and buy again. The contract says if cancelled the coverage cannot be reinstated. Any comments?
Joganjani,
The extended warranty I have is from ACURA and is administered by American Honda.
The warranty is transferable.
As to cancellation: the contract can be cancelled for a full refund within 60 days of purchase. After 60 days the cancellation will be pro-rated.
I did not see anything about a refund after expiration of the warranty if it was not used.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:55 PM
10th Gear

I want to thank the folks here on this thread for talking about the extended warranty. Armed with the info I read from this site, I was offered a 100K/7yr/zero deductible for $1595 and had to laugh at the dealer..I said no way. I've seen the price as low a $920 on the forum. The dealer ask what are you willing to pay..I told the $1150...This seems to be the going rate here...cant be too greedy. An agreement was made within 1 minute of the conversation on the phone beginning. Thanks again guys!
Old 02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Advanced

I don't understand why so many people are looking at extended warranties, when you're buying a reliable vehicle to start with.

It's not like you're buying a Chevy or a BMW. Acura is reliable.

Extended warranties may offer piece of mind, but most times they are just a waste of money. I've never bought one, and never will. I keep my cars 10-years on average, and like to rack-up the miles. I never had a day where I said "Damn, I wished I'd bought the extended warranty."

I've always believed if you need to buy the extended warranty, you need to look for a different car or brand of car.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

The contract offered directly by Acura is about $1,100. There are other 3rd party companies selling a warranty but then you would wind up with the same problem the VW guys on here had ("negotiating each instance). There is no such thing as a REFUNDABLE warranty after 90 days. The one that joganjani
claims he has was posted by him on one of these sites and it CLEARLY stated only a 90 day period. He says he has something fomr the dealership separately but if so, then he may need to review because most contracts state that the ENTIRE contract is outlined in the single document. Think about it. If you 'could" get 100% of your funds back after 7 years, it would be a win-win situation (i.e. too good to be true). The plain and simple is that the Honda extended warranty is $1,100 and goes for 7 years or 100K miles. I personally believe that it's a sucker bet IMHO
Old 02-18-2004, 06:52 PM
never stops!

Originally posted by ndabunka
The contract offered directly by Acura is about $1,100. There are other 3rd party companies selling a warranty but then you would wind up with the same problem the VW guys on here had ("negotiating each instance). There is no such thing as a REFUNDABLE warranty after 90 days. The one that joganjani
claims he has was posted by him on one of these sites and it CLEARLY stated only a 90 day period. He says he has something fomr the dealership separately but if so, then he may need to review because most contracts state that the ENTIRE contract is outlined in the single document. Think about it. If you 'could" get 100% of your funds back after 7 years, it would be a win-win situation (i.e. too good to be true). The plain and simple is that the Honda extended warranty is $1,100 and goes for 7 years or 100K miles. I personally believe that it's a sucker bet IMHO
It is win-win. That is exactly why I bought this. This is in two parts;

1. Honda warranty 7yr/100k, $0 deductible with cancellation option on pro-rated after 60 days, transferable for $50 fee.
2. 100% refund after 7 years from the dealer if not used. I've a seperate reciept for this part from the dealer. This part is not transferrable.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
10th Gear

Link to sample contract from Mission Viejo Acura in California:
http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura...e-contract.asp
Old 02-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Racer

Does anyone know what the coverage differences are, if any, between the initial warranty and the extended one? In other words, are there certain items that are covered under the intial warranty but not the extended one?

As I understand it, the initial warranty (4/50k) covers most everything except normal wear items (wipers, glass, leather, etc.).
Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

Thanks to all on this site (especially to rets) for advice on Ex war. I got mine (2 month after purchase) for $1150 - 7yr/100K, 0 ded, transferrable and refundable.

I'm still annoyed that my dealer was quoting $3000 and $2400 - they're still ignoring, saying "no-way"

To answer 'why purchase' question: I've never purchased ex war on home appliance, electronics, etc in the past because they're not worth it. For example, If i'd bought all the ex war on all my appliances and home electronics, I'd have spent enough money to buy another piece of somethinge else by now - probably couple of pieces. My first ex war was on my wife's Sienna for $980 due to all the electronics on that van. The ex war has already paid for it self by having the elect side doors worked on twice at $600+ each time. With Acura, I don't have any doubt on the mechanical side as I'm convinced of Honda engineering, but way to many little things can go wrong with the electronics. Besides, if I don't use it then I get it back - not too bad.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by rljones
Link to sample contract from Mission Viejo Acura in California:
http://acuraofmissionviejo.com/acura...e-contract.asp
Thanks for providing this link. One thing that I noted in the fine print was that the navigation system seemed to be excluded. The complexity and expense of this unit was one factor leading me to at least consider the warranty. Did I miss something here? The warranty available throught my credit union covers factory installed nav systems.

V. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
(A) Parts other than genuine ACURA parts; wiper blades; battery and cables; ... . buttons; carpet; dash pad; door and window handles; knobs; rearview mirror; trim; upholstery; electronic/audio accessories and cellular telephones other than GENUINE ACURA ELECTRONIC/AUDIO ACCESSORIES; navigational devices; tires; seat belts; airbag(s), and related parts, EXCEPT FOR THE SRS CONTROL UNIT (if at any time you believe there is a defect with these parts, please contact an ACURA DEALER immediately).
Old 05-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Burning Brakes

93SHOcar,

I too am wondering about the same thing as you. I want to know if anyone knows if the NAVI is covered under the extended warrantee. Electrical gremlins do start to creep up after a couple of years. Can someone please clarify this point?

dsc888
Old 05-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Oops! I just answered my own question. Curry Acura's EW coverage page stated in the lower right corner that factory installed NAVI is indeed covered. Here is the link...

http://www.curryacuracare.com/cov.cfm

dsc888