Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud new TL owner + a window tint question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new TL owner + a window tint question

Hi all. I just wanted to share my excitement about my new 2004 TL with some people who will appreciate it the same way I do!

Drove off the lot tonight with an anthracite '04 navi/5AT, and I couldn't be happier. I'll forgo the pics, but I DID add the chrome wheels (so sweet!).

I'm gettin' the window tint done tomorrow. So, question - The owner's manual (damn there's lots here to learn) suggests no tint with "metalic properties" so as to not interfere with the navi system. Anyone got any experience/input on this? I know the tint I put on my '98 Integra had "metalic properties", or at least metalic-sounding names.

Also, has anyone had any experience or can you offer any insight on having an after-market alarm system installed? I don't want to lose the functionality of the Acura keyFOB (what does that stand for anyway?), but don't want to carry TWO keyFOBs (Acura's + alarm's).

Thanks for any input!

- Grit
Old 07-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First off congrats on the new TL, and if I may ask which dealership in San Diego did you purchase your tl from? Yes the non-metallic tint is what Acura prefers, I just found that standard ceramic tint, which isnt metallic, works fine and doesnt seem to intefere with the navigation at all. Make sure your super careful about what % you tint your front windows, I keep having to lower my front windows whenever I see cops, lol
Old 07-24-2004, 06:06 AM
Intermediate

Thanks

I've never heard of ceramic tints, just dyed and metalic. Where'd you get your window tint at? I was going to go back to Diamond in Miramar.

Cush in Escondido. Cost was sticker - Costco discount.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Grit
I'm having my tint done Monday at Mr. Tint in Escondido. It's a little futher down Auto Parkway on Vineyard. I'm having 35% Pinnacle ceramic all around. They did my brother-in-law tint and it looks really good.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Ceramic

Ceramic tint costs a little more. Search for "ceramic tint" at the top and you will have some reading for a while.

Formula One has Pinnacle ceramic tint. It's very good. It comes in 35% and 15%.

XP
Old 07-24-2004, 05:50 PM
Intermediate

I would NOT - repeat NOT go with metallic tint - Im telling you this from personal experience - I have a 01' 330i and the antena on the car is of course built into the rear window. Well lets just say I didnt notice the antena until AFTER I had installed the tint. Even then I didnt notice until I tried listening to an AM station and realized my car no longer had AM! It may not screw up your receiption completely but it will negatively impact it - Im not sure if TL has antena on rear glass but I suspect it does.

If you already put tint then I hope it worked well for you - if you havent done it yet I wouldnt risk it or youll be sounding like I sound every morning: @#$#$ cant believe I didnt realize frigin antena was built in to rear window... !@#$#$% damn titanium tint!!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Racer

good info
Old 07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Racer

i've looked throught the manual and i don't remember reading about the tint, could you guys please tell me what page it's on?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

The other one...

Originally Posted by gochan
i've looked throught the manual and i don't remember reading about the tint, could you guys please tell me what page it's on?
It's on page 3 of the Navigation Manual.

Metallic tint will impact your AM signal, your GPS signal, and your cell phone signal.

If you are in a strong signal area, you might not notice the difference. Of course, if you tinted the car when you first got it, you would have no reference point by which to compare before and after.

XP
Old 07-25-2004, 06:52 AM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Ceramic tint costs a little more. Search for "ceramic tint" at the top and you will have some reading for a while.

Formula One has Pinnacle ceramic tint. It's very good. It comes in 35% and 15%.

XP
Xpditor; Is Pinnacle formula one's 'top of the line' tint? I don't even see it on the web site. The thing is I'm looking for 20% for a net of around 15%. What about the Premier series? I never see anyone mention anything besides Pinnacle. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Is Pinnacle the pinnacle?

Originally Posted by shotcaller88
Xpditor; Is Pinnacle formula one's 'top of the line' tint? I don't even see it on the web site. The thing is I'm looking for 20% for a net of around 15%. What about the Premier series? I never see anyone mention anything besides Pinnacle. Thanks.
It's pretty new. GO HERE for more info. It is a premium line of non-metallic film and is fairly new. Only the best Llumar installers will carry it. You might check with the high end auto dealers and ask the Svc ppl where you can get your car tinted.

Or, there is installer info on HERE .

XP
Old 07-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think for an anthracite, 20 on the side, 15 or 5 on the back would be cool. what do you think?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shawn744
i think for an anthracite, 20 on the side, 15 or 5 on the back would be cool. what do you think?
If you go too dark on the back you won't be able to see much at night. Also the auto dimming mirror won't work. I have 35% all around and its fine.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 AM
AM MT Navi

Hmm...so the Premier Series is metallic. I didn't know that. It really sucks that they don't make 20% Pinnacle.
I think 20% (~15% net) all around on an Anthracite would look sweet. Eventhough the front windows wouldn't be legal, I would take the risk to match the rears.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Dark Side of the Moon...

Hmm...so the Premier Series is metallic. I didn't know that. It really sucks that they don't make 20% Pinnacle.
I think 20% (~15% net) all around on an Anthracite would look sweet. Eventhough the front windows wouldn't be legal, I would take the risk to match the rears.
I have 35% on ALL the side windows front and back. I could have put 15% on the rear side windows but I wanted them to match. They are just fine (see photos in GALLERY). That nets to close to 30% adding the factory tint (by direct meter).

I put 15% on the rear window. I don't know what that nets and neither does a patrolman because the police meter has a slot that you have to put over the window to measure it. You can't do that on the front and back. From their perspective, they just want to be able to see who and how many people are in the car when they approach it. It's not just a number they pull out of the air. Their life could depend on it.

As you know, Florida law allows you to go to 28% on the front seat sides and 15% elsewhere.

Tint King in W. Palm is where I got mine.

XP
Old 07-25-2004, 11:38 AM
AM MT Navi

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I have 35% on ALL the side windows front and back. I could have put 15% on the rear side windows but I wanted them to match. They are just fine (see photos in GALLERY). That nets to close to 30% adding the factory tint (by direct meter).

I put 15% on the rear window. I don't know what that nets and neither does a patrolman because the police meter has a slot that you have to put over the window to measure it. You can't do that on the front and back. From their perspective, they just want to be able to see who and how many people are in the car when they approach it. It's not just a number they pull out of the air. Their life could depend on it.

As you know, Florida law allows you to go to 28% on the front seat sides and 15% elsewhere.

Tint King in W. Palm is where I got mine.

XP
Tint King in West Palm? off military? That's where my cousin get his Lexus ES330 tinted. They refused to put any tint darker than legal on his windows. At the same time they offered to tint the windshield which would be illegal. I haven't been there myself, but this is what he told me. How was your experience with them? Who installed the moleskin?
Thanks, Scott
Old 07-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Yup!

Tint King in West Palm? off military? That's where my cousin get his Lexus ES330 tinted. They refused to put any tint darker than legal on his windows. At the same time they offered to tint the windshield which would be illegal. I haven't been there myself, but this is what he told me. How was your experience with them? Who installed the moleskin?
Thanks, Scott
Yes. Ask for Jay. He has an 04 TL (white). They did a perfect job. A little pricey: $ 220 for Pinnacle all the way around.

You know that you can get Pinnacle on the back window and metallic everywhere else?

It's a little cheaper and you can get whatever shade you want.

XP
Old 07-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LesinSD
Grit
I'm having my tint done Monday at Mr. Tint in Escondido. It's a little futher down Auto Parkway on Vineyard. I'm having 35% Pinnacle ceramic all around. They did my brother-in-law tint and it looks really good.

Thanks Les. I took mine there too and also did 35% all the way 'round. Looks spectacular. Everyone was right, too dark woulda been too much. I'm quite happy with this.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Advanced

tint

Huper Optik is a great ceramic tint. I've had llumar plat plus in the past the huper optic has much better heat rejection. i've had on my 04 tl for about 8 months and it's great. 2 thumbs up. it is about $50-75 more than plat plus. well worth the extra money
Old 07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grit
Thanks Les. I took mine there too and also did 35% all the way 'round. Looks spectacular. Everyone was right, too dark woulda been too much. I'm quite happy with this.

They do good work. The 35% to me is just right. Any darker and it would have been over kill IMHO. Plus if I went with the 15% I probably would have been too nervous to drive the car.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Instructor

I have SunTek Metallic tint on mine. 35% all around. AM/FM/XM/Navigational system all works the same as before. Have had it on for 2 months so far. Oh, and I've experinced no new cell phone problems.

The reason I risked having SunTek Metallic tint put on was because someone else on this forum said they had no problems with this specific brand.

I'm actually going to risk it further though and have another layer of 35% put on to make it 15% on the back and back windows. I've decided I want it darker.

I don't have mole felt on and I have noticed scratches that are very very hard to see on 2 of the windows. They don't bother me cause you have to look for them to see them. Nobody would ever notice them otherwise. My roommate is a professional tinter so if I have further problems (with the double-layered metallic tint, or additional scratches), he will take it off and I'll get mole felt put on and will redo the tint.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Grit
I checked out them too - but they dont do moleskin...in fact I can t find anyone in the sd area that has formula one and does moleskin---are there any in So Cal - HELP!!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:28 PM
VTEC HoooA

I had 13% all around installed yesterday and have no issues so far. The navi, AM, and phone all still work as before. The car is hella darker inside than it was before, but that was the point
Old 07-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Intermediate

My TL had Llumar tint installed at the dealer!!! According to this, it is metallic.

http://www.formulaonetinting.com/tin...sp#LComparison

What should I do?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neon8ss
I checked out them too - but they dont do moleskin...in fact I can t find anyone in the sd area that has formula one and does moleskin---are there any in So Cal - HELP!!
Yeah they do, but they don't call it moleskin they call it felt. I was going to have them do it, but they wanted to charge an extra $100 to do it. I had the moleskin kit, so I just did it myself before I brought my car to them.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:45 PM
04 5AT ABP/Camel

Originally Posted by sdkirby
My TL had Llumar tint installed at the dealer!!! According to this, it is metallic.

http://www.formulaonetinting.com/tin...sp#LComparison

What should I do?
Do you have the Navi? Is it still working? If you are having no issues as a result of the metallic tint, then do nothing.

If it aint broke... don't fix it.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Yeah they do, but they don't call it moleskin they call it felt. I was going to have them do it, but they wanted to charge an extra $100 to do it. I had the moleskin kit, so I just did it myself before I brought my car to them.
I asked Mr. Tint (San Diego area) about the moleskin. Yep, they referred to it as felt and said they could order it and install it for $25/window.