Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's Con's & Nags One Month In

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro's Con's & Nags One Month In

Well it has been a while since I posted Pro's Con's & Nags One Week In, and I did promise an update after a month so I thought I'd better get to it. The car was garaged for several weeks while I sold my old car. I let winter pass and decided I'd make it one month of actual driving experience with the TL. I'm glad to say there are not too many things to add to the lists but a few new items have popped up that need attention.

PROs
- Hey all you 5ATs, can you say LSD ? Was that Timothy I just ran over with both wheels spinning ? Auto induced euphoria.
- Yes it's Fun to drive, adequate power. see above
- I have to give the wipers high marks for how quiet they are.
- Framed windows very secure compared to frameless Integra 4dr.
- I love my tires. Pilot Alpin snows - very comfortable not too noisey
- Have not had to deal with any major issues yet.
- Phone charger power outlet is well thought out.
- Center console slider feature is neat
- Blue Man Group DVDA - Dave Matthews does a neat song on it. Never though I'd buy a Blue Man Group CD but I'm glad I did.
- Quietest power antenna ever !! ya ya ya Doesn't freeze up either !

CONs
- Door opening in a tailwind could be bad. There is not enough leverage on the interior door handle to hold the door in a gust which can force it open. A damper might be nice, but it's something to remember and live with.
- Seats previously listed as a PRO gets moved to the CONs. Finding them too big. I've had to lessen the lumbar support so I sink in because I'm sliding around while cornering. It helps to press myself in with the steering wheel when cornering. They lack adjustable bolsters. This is a personal thing so please don't take offense if you are a perfect fit.
- The curtain of darkness. The cutoff of the low-beam lights is quite drastic. You can be blinded if mountain cornering in traffic at night. A set of round driving lights may be very useful. Better distance pattern on low beam.
- Blind spots
- pegging the brakes closes the sunroof cover. Integra is better with 2 click stops. They cheaped out on this. Unacceptable since same mfgr's lessser car had a much superior system.
- Cassette ? Hello Acura you listening: NO ONE HAS CASSETTE TAPES. Give me an AUX in or better yet MP3. If you insist on cassette you should put the 8 Track below it. I like to have some future options, don't want obsolete audio 5years from now and a AUX-IN would help that. Sorry but having a cassette in this grade of car is embarrassing.
- Seats look very old but car is really only one month old.

NAGs
- Bad molding on the wiper control knob always catches my finger. I have to sand it down I guess.
- Previous nag cancelled. The wiper mist tripple sweep can be canceled by hitting the pulse sweep once.
- Previous nag cancelled. Seatbelt is now easily reached. Just a matter of re-training.
- Cheap shift boot and parking brake boot - begging for a mod.
- E-brake setting feels strange - especially if you set it up hill. It feels like it might be skipping over the star adjusters. I'll check this one with the dealer.
- Cheap keyfob paintjob scatches within a week. Solid color plastics = better

PROBLEMs
- Engine knocking. The knock sensor should be adjusting and I am running 94 octane so it shouldn't knock at all. Funny though, on 87 and 89 it did not knock. This affect driving because I find I have to release the cluctch at a higher RPM and feather it in. This should not be needed on any car.

- Throttle Lag on initial acceleration. Not every time. This is a 6mt there should be no lag. May be related to above.

- Brake switch click is as loud as the signal indicator clicking. Pressing brake pedal off axis causes the click but it is well after the brake lights are on. Appears to be when the switch plunger clears the (de)actuator plate.

- Small paint defect will have to be addressed.

OVERALL
I still think it is a sexy car. The PROs are kudos to Acura. The CONs are hey Acura wake up, and the NAGs I can live with or mod around. The problems are not ones that I want to live with. Two of them directly affect driveability.

Here's a copy of my original review:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105735

Originally Posted by triggle

Pro's, Con's & Nags - One week in

I'm going to attempt to convey my Car and Dealer experiences with updates at the following intervals. I may re-adjust this to be KM based.

1 week - general observations likes gripes and nags.
1 month - new observations and how am I adapting to the above
3 month - car should be broken in by now, guess I'll be as well
6 month - here we find out what the car is really made of
compressed camel sh_t or real car stuff.

Here's what I hope to pass along.
Pro's
Con's
Nag's
Unresolved problems

Purchased an 04 just last week. Did well on price since the '05's are already here. She's a beaut so far with 6MT and Brembo's. In Canada the 6MT is marketed as a Dynamic package not an A-Spec(2003) or Type-S(2002). There are no options that I know of, except Navi and Floor Mats and maybe skirts. The 6MT comes with the Brembo's and leather wrap wheel. I'd like to learn more about the packages offered in the US but that is another thread.

Some details
Since it's an 04, it was a great deal. Let's say more than 5k lower then MSRP. Actually for a yank tank (American Made) it could have been more but I digress.

Why an 04 TL
I went to the dealer looking to see the '05 TSX in the new light blue they are offering. The '05's also have control backlighting and I thought a Japanese built machine like the TSX would be better as was the Integra I came from. I hope to be proven wrong but indications are, that the Japanese built cars are a tad better. The '05 TSX with a 5AT was as expensive as the '04 TL 6MT so I went TL.
It was in the showroom and the wife sat in it and said "oh ya this is sweet". Since there are no known changes for the '05 model I thought the 04 was a worthy investment. I learned that the 5AT TL would have been cheaper, but the Brembos are soo sweet you can just about stand the car on its nose. The '04 was not offered with BlueTooth unless you went Navi but that's in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

PROs
- Silky smooth power. Watch that tach cause you could over-rev if not watching.
- Gobs of power
- Seats are comfortable.
- Best control layout of ANY car I've seen or driven - I am NOT (last time I checked) Chinese, but this car has Feng Shui (I think)
- Sunroof control is so intuitive. Up=UP, Back=Back, Forward=well ya guessed it
- Map light controls are also pure joy... press lens=ON press again=OFF
- Audio layout is great and easy to get used to
- Power..lots...okay too much for a front drive..Hey Acura let's go AWD (SH)
- Styling as compared to the TSX has some plusses the side crease, car looks lowered. Side markers, car is considerably wider.
- Great forward cupholders
- Stops with authority
= did I mention POWER
- good turning radius as compared to a TEG
- leather wrap steering wheel is pure joy - very good layout + feel
- tilt telescope wheel is a nice plus - telescoping wheels seem to be coming back into fashion
- nice touchy feely controls for air vents
- very acceptable stereo DVD system

CONs
- Summer tires...Salesman told me as I was leaving the dealership
- Bad rear cupholders..dremel fix in 10 minutes..after warranty fix !
- No folding rear seat
- leather looks a bit cheap out and cheap - upscale cloth option would be nice
- 91 octane
- signal lights are incandescent - but why?
- bi-xenon headlamp system - bulbs may not last as long as separates
- black interior is not as visually striking as the contrasting camel or parchment
- white paint on plastic bumpers doesn't match the body's paint
- dome lights left on still flatten the battery - auto shut off needed
- poor color selections - wanted Redondo red
- headlights don't seem as effective as Integras

NAGs
- Instrument lights too bright
- Control surface lights too dim
- No Trip computer selection memory - must press the button each time I start the car - this is one of my pet peeves
- seat belt difficult to grab hold of to put on
- horn is too loud inside the car
- every cubby surface seems to have a soft rubber pad except the big one above the ashtray cubby this makes no sence at all
- 3 pass windhield mist - a single pass would do - leads to premature windscreen wear which is important here on the left coast
- no bluetooth phone to test with..yet

PROBLEMS
- Blown speaker replaced by dealer in a few minutes
Old 03-19-2005, 08:03 AM
GOLDEN NUGGET

Power antenea??? Canada only??
Old 03-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a previous Integra owner, I assume he's being sarcastic. As in "the quietest antenna is one that doesn't move."

Or, I could be all wet.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good write-up and I mostly agree; however, I take exception to the comment about the tape deck. Some of us, including myself, use that deck mostly for "books on tape" available from the library. Great for long trips, but not as useful as in the past because of the variety provided through XM radio and the increased number of "books on CDs".
Old 03-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldnt see myself driving a car like this and listening to a book. C'mon, there is a reason you get surround sound. My friend listens to books on tape and I have to bring my Ipod when I go somewhere with him. MUSIC ALL THE WAY. I agree 100% on the AUX input.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
I couldnt see myself driving a car like this and listening to a book. C'mon, there is a reason you get surround sound. My friend listens to books on tape and I have to bring my Ipod when I go somewhere with him. MUSIC ALL THE WAY. I agree 100% on the AUX input.
Perhaps someday when you grow up you will understand. In the meantime, enjoy your music; I enjoy mine.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wow, thanks for this detailed review... worth a reading...
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
Perhaps someday when you grow up you will understand. In the meantime, enjoy your music; I enjoy mine.
Not slamming crazymjb but I agree

Wife and I enjoy listening to books with the TD on long trips , but will agree that is the only use I have for it...

Due to the fact that our local library has a great selection of books, all on tape vs CD, we are glad the TL is so equipped for now
Old 03-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazymjb
What state allows a 15 year-old to drive?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrjoshua
What state allows a 15 year-old to drive?

good call!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Very nice review. I appreciate the humor in the "quietest power antenna ever" comment and got a good chuckle out of it.

I listen to books on iPod....I only used the tape deck for a brief period for connecting the iPod prior to owning the iTrip.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Repecat
Good write-up and I mostly agree; however, I take exception to the comment about the tape deck. Some of us, including myself, use that deck mostly for "books on tape" available from the library.
Yeah, I agree here although for a different reason. I have tons of recordings on tapes (both pre-recorded and self-recorded) that I haven't duplicated on CD yet (actually, I probably never will due to the time and $$ required to do so). Yeah, I know tapes are "out", but you'd be surprised how many people over 30 still have them and use them. I tend to think the target audience for the TL are those in their 30s-40s or even older, so many of us appreciate the tape deck. My wife's Lexus also has a tape deck by the way...

That being said, an auxiliary source for expansion would have been a great feature as well.