3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A problems and fixes mechanic/dealership rant.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
still surprised how much torque you were geting out of the stock parts... not for this thread though.. good luck man... if you ever get a chance put up some vids after the upgrades
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2cents….

I respectfully disagree that cars are easy to completely diagnose these days unless it’s obvious. The code from the car’s computer could have multiple issues that can cause your specific problem. Some dealers just shot gun the code issue which would include replacing some parts that are not defective, but usually fixes the problem (at your expense). That’s why I’m so grateful for this forum to point out issues & fixes to our beloved vehicles.
Most of the issues found here are reoccurring, and could give a good idea of the cause of a problem before taking it to the shop.

I will agree on this point, depending on where you take your car you could get the Nitwit. So I recommend doing a little homework first, and it could save you money, and time.

IMO...
Old 02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Brazz
I respectfully disagree that cars are easy to completely diagnose these days unless it’s obvious. The code from the car’s computer could have multiple issues that can cause your specific problem. Some dealers just shot gun the code issue which would include replacing some parts that are not defective, but usually fixes the problem (at your expense). That’s why I’m so grateful for this forum to point out issues & fixes to our beloved vehicles.
Most of the issues found here are reoccurring, and could give a good idea of the cause of a problem before taking it to the shop.

I will agree on this point, depending on where you take your car you could get the Nitwit. So I recommend doing a little homework first, and it could save you money, and time.

IMO...
They might seen difficult from the outside looking in but diagnostics are very easy. It's just logic, connecting the dots, looking at codes and then data.

The problem nowdays is most mechanics do not know the inner workings of an engine. They don't have the common sense required to put 2 and 2 together or they're just lazy. They need to start out with a simple carbureted car with a distributor ignition and learn to troubleshoot before moving onto electronics. Some of the best mechanics I know started working on cars before electronics were common and transitioned to electronics as they became common. Troubleshooting the older stuff contrary to popular belief can be much more difficult than today's stuff. Trying to tune a carburetor from say the idle to power transition or adjusting springs or weights in a distributor to change the ignition curve would leave most people scratching their heads but it's a great learning tool because you appreciate and understand how, why, and what the ECU does for you.

The problem is, electronics and DTCs allow people to skate by without knowing much about cars and that's the reason for my rant. They know little so they read a code and replace the part the code points to without thinking or looking at any of data available. I've literally had to help the dealer interpret data to figure out the issue and this is not hard stuff, it's basic stuff that anyone one of us could learn in a day.

Basically 90% of the time, it's black and white if you know what you're doing. There's very little grey area. Cars are VERY easy to diagnose properly. There are other professions that seem very hard to me but I'm sure to the people that do them everyday they're easy. The bar has been set so low in the automotive world that people accept piss poor work as normal.

There are exceptions such as cars the customer has torn apart themselves, wires disconnected, cut, missing, covered in grease, etc. Those I usually would not touch.

That's not the point however, the point is it's on them to diagnose properly and no matter how hard or easy it is, the customer is not expected to pay for the dealer's mistakes. That's not the way it works unless the customer allows it.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

IMO...
when you charge $150/hr for labor you better know how to diagnose....
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO...

i work in computers.. and the computer system of a car can be as bad sometimes.. but a computer system can be diagnosed with the right tools.. and can be done without trial and error... now when a person changes things and does NOT say what they changed.. ya makes it difficult.. but if you take the OEM car then you should be able to diagnose it correctly

it truly is not rocket science or brain surgery... they just have more idiots in the car bays now trying to get their car shop more money... that’s why I like car shops that have been around for more than 20 years owned by a mom and pop since they more or less give a damn about doing it right.. and my experience is they always have the smarter technicians
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
They might seen difficult from the outside looking in but diagnostics are very easy. It's just logic, connecting the dots, looking at codes and then data.

The problem nowdays is most mechanics do not know the inner workings of an engine. They don't have the common sense required to put 2 and 2 together or they're just lazy.

The problem is, electronics and DTCs allow people to skate by without knowing much about cars and that's the reason for my rant. They know little so they read a code and replace the part the code points to without thinking or looking at any of data available. I've literally had to help the dealer interpret data to figure out the issue and this is not hard stuff, it's basic stuff that anyone one of us could learn in a day.

Basically 90% of the time, it's black and white if you know what you're doing. There's very little grey area. Cars are VERY easy to diagnose properly. There are other professions that seem very hard to me but I'm sure to the people that do them everyday they're easy. The bar has been set so low in the automotive world that people accept piss poor work as normal.

That's not the point however, the point is it's on them to diagnose properly and no matter how hard or easy it is, the customer is not expected to pay for the dealer's mistakes. That's not the way it works unless the customer allows it.
Well said Matt. From the customer side, this "Dumbing down of America" as I like to call it really pisses me off. It's sad that every time I need something repaired now (be it a car, appliance or whatever), I go in with shields up thinking I'm going to get screwed by incompetence or outright dirty dealings. It's just a matter of when and by whom. (Of course on the flip side, I'm quick to say thanks when something actually goes well.) I'm no mechanic, but to see (so-called) certified mechanics these days blindly pull out their checklists and follow every step (at my hourly expense) doesn't instill confidence. So now of course, I hit the internet before every repair to gather as much data as possible to get the mechanic going in the right direction. ...and I'm paying how much an hour for this "expertise" again?