Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM: Water on inside driver side window

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PROBLEM: Water on inside driver side window

My windows have been tinted and have moleskin installed. I've only discovered this problem because of the rain in Southern California. Whenever I roll down my windows and then roll them after being out in the rain, the inside of my driver side window gets coated with a thin layer of water. The inner moleskin strip on the driver side if soaked, and I have no idea how the water got there. This does not occur on my front passenger side window. I haven't checked the rear windows for this condition.

Does anyone have any experience with the problem of water on any of the inside windows?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:49 AM
Cruisin'

I have exactly the same problem when it rains... Not too sure what the reason for it is, but my passenger window also seems to be spared. Additionally, the inner moleskin strip now seems to have come off partially from the inside, and I don't know really how to replace it. Where did you get your tint done? Mine was at Steve's Tint in upland.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Cruisin'

I also got mine done at Steve's.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the front of the moleskin strip is more damp the back of the moleskin strip.

Below are pics with description. I'm hoping someone can tell if wrong based on these pics.

On the driver side, there is a gap between inner moleskin and front inner rubber border. Picture of driver side where I think the leak is.

There is no gap, as described above, on the passenger side. Picture of passenger side for comparison.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:04 AM
Cruisin'

Hmm.. I'll have to check my car windows later on to make sure if I know what you mean. It's really not much more than a nuisance, though. Anyone else from Steve's Tinting have the same problem? I always figured the issue was due to me lowering the driver side window a lot more while it rains (i.e. drive thru, parking pass/payment) thus letting the water soak into and erode the moleskin glue; nobody really ever has to lower the passenger side while it rains. Anyway. Those are my thoughts. But the moleskin glue has gotten to a point where it now leaves glue streaks on the inside of the front part of the driver's side window. Those come off cleanly with Stoner's invisible glass.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 AM
Cruisin'

In my case, I don't think my windows getting wet has to do with me lowering the window when it rains. The morning of the first day it started raining, the inner moleskin strip was already wet when I rolled down my windows to show my parking permit.

Even for the moleskin to get wet from the rain, you windows have to be down for a fair length of time to get the exposure needed to get them soaked.

Would repair be covered under Steve's Tinting's lifetime warrenty?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
I think they used the wrong kind of moleskin. It rained like mad yesterday and I drove around in it for several hours. Although I didn't open the window, I checked it when I saw your picture and my moleskin isn't wet. It is also very thin, while yours looks to be about as thick as the window. This could be the problem because it is soaking up water, or is it swollen because it is so wet?

Either way, it just doesn't look like the moleskin I have. Mine is barely noticeable when you look at the plastic wiper, except of course it is fuzzy instead of shiny plastic. And I certainly don't have a problem with glue, which again makes me think you got the wrong stuff.

Here's a picture of a roll of moleskin, which might help for comparison purposes.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 AM
2005 ACURA TL

MISTERYU. Give us a call as soon as you can. Iam positive the water will dry out. The same problem happened to my TL in the rain. It took about a week and a half.