Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing in Portland OR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pricing in Portland OR?

Has anyone shopped for an '06 TL (w/o Navi) in the Portlant, Oregon/Vancouver WA area? If so, what kind of quotes are you getting?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by acuranewb
Has anyone shopped for an '06 TL (w/o Navi) in the Portlant, Oregon/Vancouver WA area? If so, what kind of quotes are you getting?

Thanks!
Portland area acura dealers suck as far as pricing goes... (In fact so does Lexus of Portland and Beaverton Infiniti). I went to the Acura dealer in Eugene, and got a much better price... Though with my current TL, I managed to get Acura of Portland to price match an out-of-town dealer, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do that.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by avs007
Portland area acura dealers suck as far as pricing goes... (In fact so does Lexus of Portland and Beaverton Infiniti). I went to the Acura dealer in Eugene, and got a much better price... Though with my current TL, I managed to get Acura of Portland to price match an out-of-town dealer, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do that.
I don't care if I have to drive down to Eugene to get a good price. Did you buy your TL recently? If so, how much did you pay?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Drifting

I don't care if I have to drive down to Eugene to get a good price. Did you buy your TL recently? If so, how much did you pay?

Thanks!
Mine's an 05' tho not an 06, but I bought it right when the 05's came out. Got an 05'/Navi for 33 even at the time, which includes all the bs like floor mats, trunk tray, wheel locks, etc. Both acura dealers in portland were asking over 35k at the time.

You can be like me, and whip out your laptop/pda, and connect to Acura of Portland's free WiFi, and pull up this site and show them the prices people are paying
Old 08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Mine's an 05' tho not an 06, but I bought it right when the 05's came out. Got an 05'/Navi for 33 even at the time, which includes all the bs like floor mats, trunk tray, wheel locks, etc. Both acura dealers in portland were asking over 35k at the time.

You can be like me, and whip out your laptop/pda, and connect to Acura of Portland's free WiFi, and pull up this site and show them the prices people are paying
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Intermediate

Anyone bought a TL in or around Portland, OR recently? If so, what did you pay?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 AM
4th Gear

How does these quotes sound?

"Ron Tonkin Acura"

The best that I can do on the Acura TL, Automatic with Navigation, is $32,300 plus Licensing and Registration.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

"Acura of Portland"

TL Auto with Navigation $32,402 plus $218 for DMV & Doc. fees

* You also get our Customers for Life package for free

Tires For Life (as long as you own your car)

Rental Cars For Life (2 days of rental car service per year)

Car Washes For Life (up to twice per month, hand washed)

Exterior Paint Protection for the paint on your car

Interior Protection for Fabric, Leather, and Vinyl Surfaces

Around-the-Clock Emergency Roadside Assistance w/ Towing

Tire & Wheel Road Hazard Protection

Anti-Theft Protection

20 % Discounts in our Collision Center (maximum discount $500. Limit 2 repairs)

$150 Discount on a Broken Windshield Replacement (limit of 2 replacements)

This is an amazing package which is offered at every Dick Hannah dealership, and like I said, it does not add to the price of the car in any way.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by tde46
They'll prob give you an enterprise rental. Ron Tonkin said they only give out Acura loaners if the service is less than one day. They said anything longer then no dice.

Acura of Portland usually gave me a Ford Explorer. However they said I could bring it back later, and see if they had any acura loaners in stock.

When I went to the Acura dealer in Eugene to get service, I usually got an RL loaner. The first time I had the RL for a week. They knew I drove in from Portland, and said I could drive it back to Portland, and to just come back the following weekend, even if they were done earlier, to make it more convenient for me.

This is an amazing package which is offered at every Dick Hannah dealership, and like I said, it does not add to the price of the car in any way.
Only problem I have with Acura of Portland is that their service department sucks. They tried to void my warranty because I didn't have the dealer perform regular maintenance. Then they lied about what service I did need, because I already had the service done, then they admitted they didn't actually check to see if I needed the service, they only went by the miles. Then as a last ditch effort they tried to say that you need "special tools" to do some of the service, so I asked them to show me where in the Acura Service Manual it mentions these "special tools". Of course they couldn't. Then they just admitted it would be more convenient if I had them do it.

When we did have problems with our TL, they told my wife they never heard of those problems, and that they'd have to see. When I brought the car in, they said the problem I was experiencing was actually very common, and that they would have it fixed right away.

Granted this was over a year ago, so hopefully they improved since then.... But at least their staff is nice...

Lexus of Portland was down right rude. They refused to let me test drive the GS, because , (and I quote), "We are not in the business of letting high schoolers come in here and joyride in our vehicles.... If you would like to test drive, perhaps you can come back with your parents."

I don't know what I did wrong. I was in my mid twenties at the time, and I just came back from a business meeting, so I was actually wearing a suit. And I met my wife there, and her work requires business formal attire, so she was in a suit as well. I made sure to rip them a new one, and create as big a scene as possible in front of all the customers.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Lexus of Portland was down right rude. They refused to let me test drive the GS, because , (and I quote), "We are not in the business of letting high schoolers come in here and joyride in our vehicles.... If you would like to test drive, perhaps you can come back with your parents."

I don't know what I did wrong. I was in my mid twenties at the time, and I just came back from a business meeting, so I was actually wearing a suit. And I met my wife there, and her work requires business formal attire, so she was in a suit as well. I made sure to rip them a new one, and create as big a scene as possible in front of all the customers.
That is un-freaking believable. You definitely should have let the general manager know the kind of "service" his salesmen gave you. I guess you took your allowance and milk money elsewhere...lol.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Wow, that does sound like a good deal. I wonder what kind of tires you get? Only problem is that I am about 1/2 hour from Dick Hannah and only about 10 minutes from Tonkin, which makes service at Hannah relatively inconvenient.

"Ron Tonkin Acura"

The best that I can do on the Acura TL, Automatic with Navigation, is $32,300 plus Licensing and Registration.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***

"Acura of Portland"

Anti-Theft Protection

Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
4th Gear

They'll prob give you an enterprise rental. Ron Tonkin said they only give out Acura loaners if the service is less than one day. They said anything longer then no dice.

Acura of Portland usually gave me a Ford Explorer. However they said I could bring it back later, and see if they had any acura loaners in stock.

When I went to the Acura dealer in Eugene to get service, I usually got an RL loaner. The first time I had the RL for a week. They knew I drove in from Portland, and said I could drive it back to Portland, and to just come back the following weekend, even if they were done earlier, to make it more convenient for me.

Only problem I have with Acura of Portland is that their service department sucks. They tried to void my warranty because I didn't have the dealer perform regular maintenance. Then they lied about what service I did need, because I already had the service done, then they admitted they didn't actually check to see if I needed the service, they only went by the miles. Then as a last ditch effort they tried to say that you need "special tools" to do some of the service, so I asked them to show me where in the Acura Service Manual it mentions these "special tools". Of course they couldn't. Then they just admitted it would be more convenient if I had them do it.

When we did have problems with our TL, they told my wife they never heard of those problems, and that they'd have to see. When I brought the car in, they said the problem I was experiencing was actually very common, and that they would have it fixed right away.

Granted this was over a year ago, so hopefully they improved since then.... But at least their staff is nice...

WOW I'm really surprise about their poor service. It makes me not wanting to buy from them.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
4th Gear

Wow, that does sound like a good deal. I wonder what kind of tires you get? Only problem is that I am about 1/2 hour from Dick Hannah and only about 10 minutes from Tonkin, which makes service at Hannah relatively inconvenient.

Not sure about the tires. Also, I believe you can take any acura to be serviced at any Acura Stealership.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Drifting

WOW I'm really surprise about their poor service. It makes me not wanting to buy from them.
Ron Tonkin is just as bad... They refused to perform the tranny recall on our departed TL, unless we had the recall letter in hand, despite being able to verify the VIN number online.

When I got a flat tire, I put the spare on, and drove into Ron Tonkin (since I was nearby). They said they don't fix tires. Told me to take it to Les Schwab..... I went to Beaverton Honda, and they fixed the flat tire for free... (I hate Les Schwab, but that's another rant/thread)

The sales staff at Ron Tonkin Acura are pretty rude too, tho not as bad as the Lexus dealer... I was looking at a TL/CL Type-S at the time (before we go our first TL). I was looking under the hood. Salesman came out, and said that she wants to show the car to an interested customer. What do I look like? Anyways, she closed the hood while I was still poking around under it, and almost took my head off with the hood.

When I went to buy the TL, they wouldn't budge off MSRP, because they said they didn't need to. They offered me a "program" car with 8,000 miles on it for like 500 off MSRP or some crap like that... I went to Eugene and bought the TL for a little over invoice. When I brought it into Tonkin to have a spoiler installed, they congratulated me on my purchase of a used TL. After that comment, I told them I got a brand-spanking new TL with only 4 miles on the clock, for less money than they wanted for their program/used TL. I then cancelled my appointment because I told them their comment was disrespectful.

2 years later, a coworker was interested in buying a TL. We went to Tonkin, because he liked Tonkin. Aynways, while we were there, the salesman said the same thing about the TL being MSRP. I told my coworker, and the salesman, that he can get a better deal at a different dealer. Salesman interjected and said that they can beat anybody's price. He even claimed that they never lose customers to other deals over selling price on the car. I had to jump in and call BS, and told him that I came into this dealer twice to buy a TL. A 2G and a 3G, and both times, I walked away, because they refused to budge off MSRP, even when I presented the asking price from other dealers. I said I went and bought my TLs from said other dealerships, so don't tell me that you never lose customers to other dealerships based on selling price... Salesman stood there like an idiot.

So in conclusion... If I were you, I'd go to Acura of Portland. The staff there are super nice and friendly... Service department may be a little shady, but you don't have to take your car there for service. Or maybe they improved the service department....
Old 08-11-2006, 01:33 PM
5th Gear

Comment on Salespeople and Services

Been lurking for a while, but I wanted to get my $0.02 in on this topic...

For what it's worth, I think you'll come across good/bad sales/service people in all dealerships. Here's my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

I bought a new 98 Integra from Acura of Portland and the sales/service people were decent. Not good, but no complaints either.

Acura of Portland was purchased by Dick Hannah a few years ago and since then I did notice a downward slide in service. I'd be told that my car is ready, only to wait for 20 minutes as they "get it ready" "wash it," and "find it in the lot." I've also been quoted for services that I don't need. In 2006, they told me that I need $1200+ of services done for things like timing belt when I've only had less than 30k miles on the Integra that was new in 1998! (I bus to work.) While I understand the concept of preventive maintenance, I think that was overboard. They also wanted $600 to fix a wheel rubbing noise, claiming that the left front wheel bearings are bad (again, at 30k miles!) I took it to another mechanic who took it apart, found no problems with it, and charged me $72 for the work/peace of mind.

I should also mention that in 2002, as my wife and I were shopping for her VW Passat, we also had a horrible experience w/Dick Hannah at Vancouver, with the salespeople asking me how much I make. When I asked how that’s relevant, he said that with the time we spend arguing over a few hundred dollars, I could have just paid it and make up for it by working. Yeah, we walked out pretty much after that.

Also in 2006, as it was getting inconvenient to shift my 10-month old in and out of the 2-door Integra, I looked into purchasing a TL. I did most of my research/requests on-line and was contacted by three sales people, one each from Acura of Portland, Ron Tonkin Acura, and Acura of Salem. Out of all three, the rep from AoP was possibly the rudest person that I've had the displeasure of working with. In addition to high pressure (which I can sort of understand, coming from a salesperson) he was rude and condescending. I made an arrangement on Sunday to test drive the TL, notified him of it, only to be kept waiting on Sunday as he’s not in and they have to find someone to test drive with me. As I get to the stage of comparing prices, he would call and say stuff like "I hope you'll remember who test drove with you and who sent you literature on the TL."

While I mumble something like "sure, of course," I was thinking that 1. it wasn't YOU that test drove with me or call me, as a courtesy, to say that you'd be out on Sunday and 2. Sending literature is YOUR JOB. It's not as if another rep wouldn't give me the lit and besides, I got the brochures from Acura Corporate first!

In the end, he wasn't even close with the lowest quote. I've been refraining from shooting my moth off because it serve no one's interest to create a conflict with him, but after he responded to my comment of lowering the price with "no, that price is not negotiable", I let him have it, told him of all the rude things he's said/done and that he should not mistake courtesy for a push-over. Of course, I did this AFTER someone provided a lower quote than his.

I bought the car from Ron Tonkin because the salesperson there was courteous and had the lowest price of all three without much negotiation. Acura of Salem's salesperson was also courteous and professional but couldn't even come close to the Portland prices.

Again, this is just personal experience and I'm sure all dealerships have their good/bad salesperson. If you'd like, I can provide you with the names of the rep that I bought from at Ron Tonkin and the name of the rude salesperson from Acura of Portland. I didn't mention their names here because I wasn't sure if I'd be breaking forum rules.

The price I paid for a 06 automatic w/o Nav was a bit over $31k. Even though we had financing lined up before we went in, Honda Finance had a lower rate so we went with that. Looking around, it seems that price isn't the best. Oh well.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you like your TL as much as I like mine.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Kendall Acura in Eugene is pretty good. Bought my '05 TL there.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Federation Squirtle Squad

I went with the Acura of Portland, they are pretty good, when i bought 06 TL about a year ago, it was great, i first went to the Beaverton Ron Tonkin one and they actually offered free oil change for life and they would even price match any thing that the Portland one offered but i decided to go with the free tires for life at the Portland one, 33k no navi

Before i decided on a TL, i was gonna get the IS350, the lexus dealership is pretty nice, a lady there actually called my brother after i left thinking i was him since he bought an is300 a few years ago.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Is this a reasonably current quote?

"Ron Tonkin Acura"

"Acura of Portland"

Anti-Theft Protection

Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Oh, and was the person who quoted this actually from Acura of Portland (in which case it would be reasonably current by default), or was it someone else repeating what Acura of Portland told them ?

Thanks!

Is this a reasonably current quote?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 PM
4th Gear

Oh, and was the person who quoted this actually from Acura of Portland (in which case it would be reasonably current by default), or was it someone else repeating what Acura of Portland told them ?

Thanks!

Quotes are from Acura Internet Managers.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Intermediate

Ron Tonkin just price matched an ebay quote for us on a new 06 RL So the deal we got made up for the lackluster deal we got from them on our 05 tl. They are nice people there, the parts guys are really nice too.

acura of portland lost our business years ago, I got into a screaming match with the manager about a 98 type r THAT THEY CALLED ME IN TO SEE!! he started it
Old 08-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

So how much are you paying at Tonkin and did you get Nav? Thanks.

Originally Posted by hadboosttroy
Ron Tonkin just price matched an ebay quote for us on a new 06 RL So the deal we got made up for the lackluster deal we got from them on our 05 tl. They are nice people there, the parts guys are really nice too.

acura of portland lost our business years ago, I got into a screaming match with the manager about a 98 type r THAT THEY CALLED ME IN TO SEE!! he started it