Prepping car for drive to Denver, Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009 | 12:01 PM
Intermediate

Prepping car for drive to Denver, Any tips?

Im going to be driving from Houston to Denver in 2 weeks to visit family. I want to make sure the car (05 TL) is in as good shape for whatever weather can be expected. Wanted to just ask for any advice beforehand?

I was planning on spraying the door seals with silicone spray and polishing the door frame, and the car just had an oil change.

Any other tips or things i should know before I go 2200 miles in a week?
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:12 PM
RETIRED

Originally Posted by N.I.toHTown
Im going to be driving from Houston to Denver in 2 weeks to visit family. I want to make sure the car (05 TL) is in as good shape for whatever weather can be expected. Wanted to just ask for any advice beforehand?

I was planning on spraying the door seals with silicone spray and polishing the door frame, and the car just had an oil change.

Any other tips or things i should know before I go 2200 miles in a week?
I've actually done this drive, it takes approx. 14-15 hours with only stops for gas. The TL is a very comfortable and friendly car for long journeys. Theres a few things I'd bring with me for this particular trip:

First aid kit: Never know what could happen.
Blanket and pillows: if you happen to run out of gas or spin out on the freeway in the middle of the night. It's winter, Denver gets a lot of ice and snow. Be prepared! Also, you'll find yourself going upwards 100+ miles with no exits or gas stations! Also, You'll find your cell phone without any service for long stretches during your drive.
Inspect your spare tire: Not many people think of this.
Check all your tire pressures and make sure theres plenty of tread: Like I said, It's snowing in Denver, and I-25 isn't always maintained. So better to be safe than sorry.
Food: Just in case!
Jumper Cables: Always nice to have a set of these in the car!
Small fold-able shovel: This has come in handy many times for me!

I believe that's it, but if I can think of anymore things to add, I'll come back and post. Be prepared for that cold cold weather!!

Last edited by TimTim; 12-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:20 PM
Former Whiner

Yup, very cold. The snow has already has begun.
Are you driving alone?
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator

how are the tires?
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:47 PM
07 TL-S

i actually did this drive cause i have family in denver too. man what a long drive. not sure if i can do it again. i didn't do it in a TL though.
getting out of texas takes FOREVER...
Old 12-07-2009 | 12:57 PM
Intermediate

It's me and my wife. The tires are pretty good, im gonna rotate them this week. I dont need snow chains or anything for the tires right? i mean they do clear the roads regularly in Denver and on 70?
Old 12-07-2009 | 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Make sure you have plenty of toons to help keep you awake. Perhaps a urine bottle on those long stretches or if you get stuck in the snow. Portable radio for the same reason (snow). Top off fuilds, brake, power steering, etc. De-icer in window washer fluid resevior. Check antifreeze level in radiator. Plenty of snacks, food and drinks.
Old 12-07-2009 | 01:09 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

I'm all about road trips....drove to Miami from Chicago last February and driving to your neck of the woods this coming April to Austin, TX. Everything above is what I would recommend. Make sure your air filter is good, tire pressure just right & fluids topped off.
Old 12-07-2009 | 01:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TimTim
I've actually done this drive, it takes approx. 14-15 hours with only stops for gas. The TL is a very comfortable and friendly car for long journeys. Theres a few things I'd bring with me for this particular trip:

First aid kit: Never know what could happen.
Blanket and pillows: if you happen to run out of gas or spin out on the freeway in the middle of the night. It's winter, Denver gets a lot of ice and snow. Be prepared! Also, you'll find yourself going upwards 100+ miles with no exits or gas stations! Also, You'll find your cell phone without any service for long stretches during your drive.
Inspect your spare tire: Not many people think of this.
Check all your tire pressures and make sure theres plenty of tread: Like I said, It's snowing in Denver, and I-25 isn't always maintained. So better to be safe than sorry.
Food: Just in case!
Jumper Cables: Always nice to have a set of these in the car!
Small fold-able shovel: This has come in handy many times for me!

I believe that's it, but if I can think of anymore things to add, I'll come back and post. Be prepared for that cold cold weather!!
Good stuff If you stop by walmart and buy a emergency car kit, most of the items are in there, including tow cables if need be. Have a safe journey.
Old 12-07-2009 | 01:31 PM
TL

When you buy jumper cables be sure to get a quality set. Most of the sets that come with those roadside safety kit are total junk. You want to look for a set with some nice low gauge wires (1 or 2 gauge is best.. but under 4 gauge should be ok) and high quality clamps. Length is also a concern. I'd go for 20ft cables if you can swing it. They will be pricey but you only need to buy them once.
Old 12-07-2009 | 01:56 PM
Racer

Hmm.... you should watch out for animals..... my father had a brand new 06 mustang, he hit a deer 8 months later on 95 towards Maine.... you should definitly be careful about those animals.... but since it's winter, I doubt any animals should be around..... but if you do come across an animal.... if it's not bigger then a labrador retriever.... then just run over it (I'm sorry if this offends anyone) .... I think human life is more valueable.... you don't want to swirve to avoid hitting a bunny and then end up paralyzed cuz you hit a tree or something.... My girlfriend always gives me sh*t for that, but if it's snowing out and I'm going over 40.... I'm not swirving for no squrrel....
Old 12-07-2009 | 02:03 PM
RETIRED

Originally Posted by Mr.President
Hmm.... you should watch out for animals..... my father had a brand new 06 mustang, he hit a deer 8 months later on 95 towards Maine.... you should definitly be careful about those animals.... but since it's winter, I doubt any animals should be around..... but if you do come across an animal.... if it's not bigger then a labrador retriever.... then just run over it (I'm sorry if this offends anyone) .... I think human life is more valueable.... you don't want to swirve to avoid hitting a bunny and then end up paralyzed cuz you hit a tree or something.... My girlfriend always gives me sh*t for that, but if it's snowing out and I'm going over 40.... I'm not swirving for no squrrel....
OMG how did I forget that! It's winter, the deer and antelope are actually out in full force! I've had many many many close encounters with deer and antelope, I've killed many prairie dogs in my day! But seriously, keep an eye out for those guys, that's an expensive bill, and Texas insurance companies might give you a hard time with that story! Haha!
Old 12-07-2009 | 02:08 PM
Racer

OMG how did I forget that! It's winter, the deer and antelope are actually out in full force! I've had many many many close encounters with deer and antelope, I've killed many prairie dogs in my day! But seriously, keep an eye out for those guys, that's an expensive bill, and Texas insurance companies might give you a hard time with that story! Haha!
Maybe if you bring the dead carcus, they'll probably believe you...LOL... and if they don't..... then DAMN!!! you justed hauled 100 pounds of rotting flesh for nothing!!! LOL
Old 12-07-2009 | 02:08 PM
RETIRED

Also, most of the freeway will be 2 lanes, you'll want to stay on the right @ all times except when you're passing. State Troopers are a pain in the ass when it comes to that, keep your headlights on, even during the day. Keep it at around 75-80mph in dry conditions to be safe. You'll find that the posted speed limit is 75mph when you get out to the open area's, It's good to stay no more than 10mph above that. Cops will definitely give you a citation cause you're out of town, so be safe!
Old 12-07-2009 | 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Make sure your fluids are properly filled. A nice fluid change (oil/trans oil) before the trip is nice. And the rest is pretty much covered. I would take a cooler or some extra food on the road and maybe a spare gas tank just in case.
Old 12-07-2009 | 04:57 PM
Team Owner

there are a couple of threads on trip prep if you use the search

Seafoam- 1 can in 1/2 tank of gas now, and take a can with you in case its snowing hard- and more moisture in the fuel itself- seafoam will deal with it for you

Deicer in wiper fluid
Any other fluids are low indicates a problem,- find prob and fix

carnuba wax on all outer glass will help
clean the inside glass

ck ALL bulbs including license plate light- they love to stop you for that

Important: go to a parts store and get the battery and electrical system tested!
a 3 year old acura battery is headed for the dead pile,
and with the extra load of running seat heaters, headlights, defrost/heater fan, tunes, etc etc- the charging system needs to be a full strength
Old 12-07-2009 | 05:52 PM

Bring a bag of kitty litter incase you get stuck. Spread it infront of your car so your tires have something to grip to if the road is icy. My parents and I do that on the sidewalk infront of my house when it's icy for traction.
Old 12-07-2009 | 07:56 PM
2004 AM TL

bring a winter coat and a pair of shorts - you never know what the weather is going to be like here...
Old 12-07-2009 | 09:00 PM
Racer

i agree with the posts above...also bring your radar detector if you have one. If you don't have navi then bring a map, cell phone, flashlight and all the gifts for your beloveds!
Old 12-07-2009 | 09:26 PM
Drifting

Hello from Denver. The high today was about 15 degrees but feels like -15 with the windchill. As soon as the sun started setting the temperature dropped further. Currently it's a little after 8pm, it's about 5 degrees outside and the temp is still dropping. Dress warm. Also, with how cold it's been for the last few days and how cold it's supposed to be for the next week you're going to see a lot of ice on the streets. If it keeps snowing and doesn't warm up at all it's going to be a mess when you get here.
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:42 PM
Instructor

i'm thinking it's freezing here in LA at 50 degrees tonight

i dont know how you guys do it!
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:51 PM
Former Whiner

We arctic gangstas. Seriously, check your tires.
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:57 PM
Safety Car

Make sure the bolts are properly torqued after getting it back from the tire shop. 80ft lbs, star pattern.

If your car is otherwise up to par on maintenance, I don't foresee any problems. The TL is fairly reliable.
Old 12-08-2009 | 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Thanks to all! I do lots of road trips so i will be packing up the trusty cooler with the necessities for a straight shot (except stopping for gas and letting the dog out!), and the cold weather doesn't bother me that much as I just moved to Houston from Northern Ireland. It was just really the driving conditions like the snow and ice and how good the city and state highways are about gritting the roads and stuff, and you have helped me out!

2200 miles for a 2 day visit! cant wait!
Old 12-08-2009 | 11:44 AM
Team Owner

be prepared for some of the worst drivers you have ever encountered in snow!
Seems like places that get bad weather also attract the most untrained driver who panicks- locks the brakes and slides thru the intersection right at you~

expect black ice- its actually the real reason for the ouside temp guage on the dash- if within 5 degrees of freezing: expect road ice- especially on bridges, overpasses and shaded areas
Old 12-08-2009 | 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Wow! That's a lot of driving for only a two day visit. Did you consider flying?
Old 12-08-2009 | 11:54 AM
Under construction

good luck on the trip! i love driving in snow, i know crazy but that's how syracuse was
Old 12-08-2009 | 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

keep your headlights on, even during the day.
Huh, what for?
Old 12-08-2009 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Get a portable battery booster instead of jumper cables. That way you don't need to rely on another car, just hook up the cables and start your car. Mine has come in handy several times (for friends/family and strangers, too). Make sure it is fully charged. They aren't cheap, though.
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Wow! That's a lot of driving for only a two day visit. Did you consider flying?
Yeah, but you gotta love a good drive on a straight road in a comfy fast car right?!

Sure beats the 2 hours a day i sit in the car to and from work!
Old 12-08-2009 | 03:43 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Sometimes flying is worth it if you're alone but when you have a spouse or gf it's cheaper or if a friend comes along you split the gas money. I'm a fan of taking advantage of our nice American Interstates & enjoying our rides.
Old 12-09-2009 | 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Izzy-Type-S
Sometimes flying is worth it if you're alone but when you have a spouse or gf it's cheaper or if a friend comes along you split the gas money. I'm a fan of taking advantage of our nice American Interstates & enjoying our rides.
Yea, I love driving when we travel as well. Have a very safe and fun trip!
Old 12-09-2009 | 12:17 PM
Team Owner

fly- to Denver- in the winter???? have you people tried to change planes there and experienced delays and snow problems?
Better off driving
Old 12-09-2009 | 12:25 PM
Former Whiner

You will be fine.
Just don't try to be too hasty. I drove out to Vegas and was cruising behind a lady in a 3G TL. Long story short, she was pulled over going 100+. Not good...
Old 12-09-2009 | 03:03 PM
Intermediate

Question Seafoam or Redline

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
there are a couple of threads on trip prep if you use the search

Seafoam- 1 can in 1/2 tank of gas now, and take a can with you in case its snowing hard- and more moisture in the fuel itself- seafoam will deal with it for you

Deicer in wiper fluid
Any other fluids are low indicates a problem,- find prob and fix

carnuba wax on all outer glass will help
clean the inside glass

ck ALL bulbs including license plate light- they love to stop you for that

Important: go to a parts store and get the battery and electrical system tested!
a 3 year old acura battery is headed for the dead pile,
and with the extra load of running seat heaters, headlights, defrost/heater fan, tunes, etc etc- the charging system needs to be a full strength

Just wondered why you suggested Seafoam when I thought I read in a post that you thought Redline SI-1 was better to add to gas? I may be mistaken but I just wondered.
Old 12-09-2009 | 07:08 PM
KoolKatz..

^^After all this is done, just drive safetly!

You might not think so...but don't FALL ASLEEP BEHIND THE WHEELS. That's the hardest part for me on long trips.
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:33 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
be prepared for some of the worst drivers you have ever encountered in snow!
Seems like places that get bad weather also attract the most untrained driver who panicks- locks the brakes and slides thru the intersection right at you~

expect black ice- its actually the real reason for the ouside temp guage on the dash- if within 5 degrees of freezing: expect road ice- especially on bridges, overpasses and shaded areas
worst drivers all the drivers here freak out when it snows here, so yeah just be cautious and give yourself plenty of room from the car in front of you to make sure you are able to stop in time

within 5 degrees of freezing it was like 2 degrees in the carport when i started the motor at like 7 this mourning, then about 20 minutes later on my way to work it hit a low of -12 YES minus 12 :bittercold: (it is not normally this cold)

i know it is only a 2g , and i was a lirrle late to get it at -12, but i did get it at -10 though

also make sure your ass warmer's work too, since they proably have never been used in texas

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-09-2009 at 09:37 PM.