Power steering recall, lowered with RJ kist.. dealer can't do it

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 02:44 PM
Instructor

Power steering recall, lowered with RJ kist.. dealer can't do it

I was lowered about 1.5" (tein ss) with RJ full kit.

I went to dealer today (weir canyon anaheim), to do power sterring recall.... they said they can't get my car lifted up... they said there wasn't enough space to put the jack-ing arm in..

This dealer use that two-arms jack that goes to your left and right (underneath side skirt) to lift up the car. Those arm can't get it in cause there wasn't enough space underneath it.
They told me that the car is too low... and told me to raise it up a bit before the can do it....

what do you guys think? should I raise it up just for that purpose... It's only 1.5"... hmmm...
Old 08-09-2008 | 03:23 PM
Advanced

That sounds very strange. I am not understanding what this thing is supposed to look like but I guess if they are saying that is the case you might as well just raise it to take care of that recall. I had mine done and it was taken care of in a day. No biggie.
Old 08-09-2008 | 03:41 PM
iScrape going into

Originally Posted by Spikedlee
That sounds very strange. I am not understanding what this thing is supposed to look like but I guess if they are saying that is the case you might as well just raise it to take care of that recall. I had mine done and it was taken care of in a day. No biggie.
It's not strange alot of places including dealerships do not want to take the risk of liability of destroying sideskirts of any brand on a car especially if its lowered. Believe it or not 1.5 drop is enough for alot of places not being able to get the arms to lift the car underneath the car without damaging the side skirts. Good example I am slammed maxed out on Tein Basics, no shops around where I live will touch my car cause of how low it is and don't want to risk the chance of destroying my side skirt. Has already happened to me once. To the OP what I would suggest if you can either take off your sideskirts or raise the car which ever is easier for you do it.
Old 08-09-2008 | 03:59 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i have an aggressive drop on my car, and i know it is a problem getting it on the lift. I have seen the dealer drive the car on wood blocks to get the car up in the air a little to put the arms under it. they are just being lazy..
Old 08-09-2008 | 04:04 PM
iScrape going into

Originally Posted by drdamian
i have an aggressive drop on my car, and i know it is a problem getting it on the lift. I have seen the dealer drive the car on wood blocks to get the car up in the air a little to put the arms under it. they are just being lazy..
Yeap same thing my dealership does for me. But honestly I can see how it could be looked at them being lazy. But also they don't want to take liability just in case something was to happen to his car. In alll honestly I'd rather have a place tell me they can't do it than them one being lazy and messing something up, or two messing something up and not telling me they did.
Old 08-09-2008 | 04:13 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

When i had mine done the dealer never put it on a lift...

I even brought the 2x4's that i use at home to get my jack under the car just incase, and they said there was no need because they do it all from above.
Old 08-09-2008 | 04:29 PM
Administrator

If they did it all from above, they probably didn't change the power steering hose, which is required in the recall if your vehicle is listed in the recall notice.

TSB 08-016: 2004-08 TL: Safety Recall: Power Steering Feed Hose Leak
Old 08-09-2008 | 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I do the power steering hoses all day long without raising the vehicles.
Old 08-09-2008 | 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Was that the actual Service Manager after talking with the Shop Foreman about your car- saying NOT HERE?
Could be liabilty issue- using a 2x4 is not the same as driving flat on the floor and moving the equipment under the car- if they SELL aspec equipped cars- thats the same height, so what do they do?

There are shops, sunk the lift into the floor so EVERY car- dont care if it drags pavement--- drives right on and they move the arms in place or it has wide track that fit the frame rails and up it goes.

I use a place that has their alignment rack set in the ground- lowered cars not an issue!

Go to another dealer and ask if they can help you- its a RECALL and a very important one to have done immedialty- BEFORE the fire~
Changing the height is easy enough- remove 4 wheels and reset all the spring perch heights,,,,AND if you mark everything it MIGHT not need an alignment afterwards-
buts thats 80 bucks alignment and your labor for something, that as our secret acura tech said, can be done from above!

When you check another shop- tell them you are very disappointed in the other place- and really want to find a dealership that you can fix you up,
AND you WILL give all 10s on the surveys in return! You will get good service from the right place!
Thats what you report to acura= excellent across the board!
Anything less is a failing grade, acura corp and dealer reads the surveys done by the card with your receipt- email, and phone. Managers gather round and see who is doing a good job and dispense bonus checks to them
to those who are getting bad reviews- its looked into and the bonus pay is not dispensed

See another dealer- when in doubt, ask to speak with the real Service MANAGER and the Head Tech=- who will know how the job is done
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:58 AM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Originally Posted by Ron A
If they did it all from above, they probably didn't change the power steering hose, which is required in the recall if your vehicle is listed in the recall notice.

TSB 08-016: 2004-08 TL: Safety Recall: Power Steering Feed Hose Leak

It was changed...The new one is totally noticable because its a thicker hose with a shiny new heat shroud around it.
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:37 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Yup, like was said before bring some pieces of wood that they can drive onto and then there will be sufficient clearance.
Old 08-10-2008 | 02:52 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all the reply guys...

Does anyone knows any dealer in Southern California that has the lift (almost) even with the car so that lowered car can be lifted up? I live in Riverside, but don't really mind driving some distance... I know a lot of Southern Cali. brothers have slammed TL... which dealership do you guys go to? especially for this recall....

Unless, I can find any dealer that can lift up my car (with my current height), I'm really considering raising up my car permanently... I don't really feel that the "2x4 block thingy" is really safe, and I'm pretty sure the dealership will be reluctant to do it due to liability issue, and that makes me even more reluctant too, lol...

My height is so good looking right now... so perfect... but if I really can't find any dealer that can lift-up my car safely without any hesitation and reluctant... It's very inconvenience to have to raise your car everytime going to the dealer.. for service, warranty issue, this recall, and possible any future recall.
Old 08-10-2008 | 03:05 AM
My Garage not

they aren't messing with u, if they have older style lifts the bottom chassis of the car is gonna catch and/or scrape.
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:50 PM
Instructor

Noone from Southern Cali can chim-in? especially with the lowered car
Old 08-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
Team Owner

try calling the dealerships in the phone book
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:39 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Originally Posted by d1jey1

Does anyone knows any dealer in Southern California that has the lift (almost) even with the car so that lowered car can be lifted up? I live in Riverside, but don't really mind driving some distance... I know a lot of Southern Cali. brothers have slammed TL... which dealership do you guys go to? especially for this recall....

Unless, I can find any dealer that can lift up my car (with my current height), I'm really considering raising up my car permanently... I don't really feel that the "2x4 block thingy" is really safe, and I'm pretty sure the dealership will be reluctant to do it due to liability issue, and that makes me even more reluctant too, lol...

My height is so good looking right now... so perfect... but if I really can't find any dealer that can lift-up my car safely without any hesitation and reluctant... It's very inconvenience to have to raise your car everytime going to the dealer.. for service, warranty issue, this recall, and possible any future recall.
Seriously bring (4) 2-3 foot pieces of 2X10 or 2X12 and stick them directly in front of the tires and have the tech drive onto them, it will raise your car 1.5 inches. It is perfectly safe and is common practice in most shops and by towing compaines when dealing with low vehicles. Just ask them...
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

I go to Tustin Acura dealer and I have no problem when they do any services with lowered car. I'm on Tein SS with more than 1.5 in drop (more like no finger gap). Call them ahead to make sure so you don't have to drive all the way from Riverside to Tustin for nothing, but I'm sure they can do it without any problem.
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
I do the power steering hoses all day long without raising the vehicles.
That's good to know. I feel better knowing they didn't have to do all that stuff in the TSB. I just wondered because it didn't look like my splash shield was removed but I trust my dealer to do the job so it looks like there's more than one way to do it.
Old 08-10-2008 | 06:41 PM
Safety Car

that's dumb - acura of lynnwood didn't even have to lift my car to even do that recall...and even if they had to, i'm dropped a little over 1.5 inches with the aspec kit on...they sure wouldn't have had any problems there either.......................
Old 08-11-2008 | 09:34 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Ron A
That's good to know. I feel better knowing they didn't have to do all that stuff in the TSB. I just wondered because it didn't look like my splash shield was removed but I trust my dealer to do the job so it looks like there's more than one way to do it.
I was in the same boat...my A-pipe wasn't removed, but I trusted that my dealership did the work...definitely nice to know.
Old 08-11-2008 | 09:46 AM
Drifting

Noone from Southern Cali can chim-in? especially with the lowered car
i had my recall done at the very same dealership. they were actually very nice and offered me a loaner. i opted to wait so i can see them do the recall.

my car was worked on and they did put it on the lift. i saw them work on it from the underside and also spray some brake clean on the underside, presumably to remove any residue p/s fluid that may have sprayed/leaked. took about a couple hours. got some free drinks and chips and i was not the least bit displeased.
Old 08-11-2008 | 09:53 AM
Byruns

word... i brought mine in at Sierra Acura of Alhambra. Got it done with no problem and i'm at a max drop on Tein SS.... Also tried going in for an oil change at the same time, and obviously failed.
Old 08-18-2008 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

Just to update on the situation… weir canyon dealer said that they have new alignment rack on their garage, so it can lift up my car from 4 tires… so no ground clearance issue… and they did the power steering recall….

Now, I’m just being anal about it…. Is there any way to check (make sure on my car myself) that the Power steering recall has already been done in fact? If anyone know, please let me know how to check… thanks
Old 08-18-2008 | 12:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LacViet
I go to Tustin Acura dealer and I have no problem when they do any services with lowered car. I'm on Tein SS with more than 1.5 in drop (more like no finger gap). Call them ahead to make sure so you don't have to drive all the way from Riverside to Tustin for nothing, but I'm sure they can do it without any problem.
Glad to hear that Tustin can do it. I've been going there and am going to get my TSB done next week. I just had the Progress Springs installed and it's sitting pretty low.
Old 08-18-2008 | 04:50 PM
Instructor

if anyone can post the picture of before and after PS recall, showing what part are they changing... I would really appreciate that
Old 08-18-2008 | 04:56 PM
2007 Acura TL-S

there should be lifts for lowered cars.. my rsx was slammed.. about 2 inch off the floor from sideskirt and i brought it in fro a oil change. they said it was fine and that they had a special lift for lowered cars.(not sure if all dealerships have it tho)
Old 08-18-2008 | 05:30 PM
Drifting

if anyone can post the picture of before and after PS recall, showing what part are they changing... I would really appreciate that
ill post what it looks like now after the recall. ill take a pic when i get home.
Old 08-18-2008 | 07:00 PM
Instructor

thanks a lot sixsixfour..... i wonder if I can see it from top of the hood... or only from underneath
Old 08-18-2008 | 07:52 PM
WDP Director of R & D

thanks a lot sixsixfour..... i wonder if I can see it from top of the hood... or only from underneath

You can see the hose from the top.

Also - Most recalls require a small re cal/campaign ID sticker/tag to be placed under the hood for easy identification. Not sure if Acura does this or not. I understand however that you physically want to see/verify the new hose etc..

Good call - glad to hear you were able to get it accomplished.
Old 08-18-2008 | 08:22 PM
Drifting

here are the "after" pics.

the hose was changed from that soft rubber one to a more rigid unit. they also put an extra rubber layer on top, and the lower half closest to the rear exhaust manifold was wrapped with some heat shielding.

hope this helps
Old 08-20-2008 | 01:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the picture... that really helps... yes mine is exactly like that