Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential TL owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Potential TL owner!

Okay, I have been looking for about 6 mos. for a RRP/parch. w/nav TL. so rare to find them on Autotrader, CL, cars.com.
PRIVATE OWNER!

Asking $13.9. Max is 15k OTD w/taxes etc. I ideally want to stay 13k and below for the car itself. Plan to get a loan to pay for it.
Miles: 95k
2OWNER, Clean title, No accidents.

Description:
Exterior: Redondo Red Pearl(great paint condition) she told me the previous owner was an elderly man who bought the car for his wife and got an extra protection coat for the paint job from fading? idk
Also has upgraded chrome rims(though badly curb rashed on 2 of the rims) , Always Garaged!

Interior: parch./camel (slight peel or rip on driver side bolstering stitching/will eventually get it reupholstered)
Has NAVI!

Mechanically:
She said she did the water pump, and timing belt at 90kmiles. Fully synthetic oil? idk what that means. Has all paperwork from dealer/pepboys. Test Drove it! to me the engine seemed smooth but my mom who tagged along in the backseat during the test drive said it jerked a bit when switching gears. usually around the 3rd gear. great pickup on freeway no problems.

SO, should I try to go lower is it too high, just right? Iknoe the 105kmiles is coming up. Can someone tell me the full list. I searched it but generally says belts(but not their names), water pump, tensioner and pulley. What else?

Surely appreciate the help guys, she even told me she would hold off from viewing the car to anyone once i go through my bank to see if they grant me the loan, since I was the first one to see it)

Last edited by MandoTL; 04-04-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Need to give a better understanding of my potential purchase! add a bit more info.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If the timing belt and water pump was changed at 90k, then you won't need that service at @105k, but the spark plugs will need replacement unless they were done also, better check. I would make absolutely certain the service has been done by receipts or checking with the shop that supposedly did the work. If it wasn't done as they say, and the belt breaks, kiss the engine goodbye.
Also upgraded wheels lead me to believe young at heart driver. Now, that could mean that they like the looks of the wheels for show, or in their heart they enjoy driving the car hard.
Check with Acura about service and recalls using the VIN and if you'll not too mechanically inclined at this time of your life, pay to have Acura or a mechanic give the car a once over. Money well spent.
As far as price, don't see a year so go to KBB and look up the suggested price, and then deduct the upholstery work, wheels, and any other item that needs replacement. Look at the size and quality of tires and make certain they are like new. Certainly don't want to purchase a car and then spend $600-700 on tires. Come up with the problems and ask if they can do any better on price and if they ask your offer, hit them with the asking price minus the problems.

Remember, these aren't inexpensive cars to operate, tires are costly, premium fuel required, not the greatest fuel mileage, great for the car, but certainly not in the economy class and with the gas prices, make a decision with the mind, not the heart, especially if money is tight.
Take a 30mpg regular fuel vehicle and compare to the, let's say 20mpg TL. The TL will run about $140 more p/month based on 20k per year.
We don't use the TL very much, but got rid of a Grand Cherokee that was @ 14mpg and picked up a '08 knock around car for $15,280 brand new 30mpg. We drive about 30k per year on that car and it saved me $290 p/mo, @ $3500 p/year. Lot of money as it will actually cover the cost of the car in 4+years.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

@Turbonut Sorry the year is an 05 thought I typed it in there. But as far as receipts go she got the reg. oil changes done at pep. boys as normal maintenance. And I did see the water pump and timing belt done at her local acura. But not spark plugs or any of the 3x3 fluid changes that are done at 105k.

I plan to bring a mechanic which is my uncle to inspect it himself the next time I view it since he was unavailable the first time I saw it. The chrome rims are Acura OEM ones so everything is original except the tires which arent the Michelin ones. she got them about 6mo. ago. I may need new tires but I can look around. I am willing to pay $1,600 in repairs to make it meet my expectations in condition.

Have the VIN will do a check up on recalls at my local dealer later and still need to get a Carfax report as well since she didnt have one. Its a big upgrade from my stock 91 integra to an 05 TL. the gas mileage is pretty much the same, except the premium cost for gas and increased hp!. I do much of my driving hwy when I commute to visit family since I go to college in SD well the car is LA. Money wont be tight on gas even with the premium req. fuel it get better than my moms 03 GMC Envoy XL I-6 SLT. it costs her close to $90 to fill her tank. 12-14 avg. mixed. thats bad gas mileage compared to a TL

Well since I was looking at 06-07 honda pilots (reg. gas)could not find the color combo for my budget price. So looked at the next best thing 05-06 Acura TL w/Nav. (premium) so either way I was going to spend money on gas. I am the type of person that if I need to drive I will but I try to avoid it. Im also keeping my 91 integra, and still have my TL.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
But not spark plugs or any of the 3x3 fluid changes that are done at 105k.
Sparks plugs are to be done at 90k while the timing belt is at 105k. Better for you that she did it the ohter way though. Spark plugs can be bought for $60 from ebay and is an "easy" DIY.

What do mean by 3x3 fluid changes? Tranny drain and fill x3?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Yah from the paperwork she didnt have spark plugs... she did say that the other paperwork was at home. The girl is prob. in her mid 20s nd when she was showing me the car she seemed kinda clueless as to what she was talking about. So she might have done them also... her bf takes her car to get tht stuff done.that is why I told her that I would bring my mechanic w/ me next time I check out the car and she would bring the rest of the paperwork. also have a carfax to show nd est. of stuff that needs to be repaired.

yah sorry thats what I meant the tranny drain and fill...

Edit: I am really kinda of clueless myself on how maintenance works I usually just go to my uncles shop when I think something is wrong with my integra. I do check the oil b4 I head on long trips. but oil changes are done at a local EZ lube shop for oil changes by the sticker they give you.

Last edited by MandoTL; 04-05-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
btw, here's a tip. Make sure to get the LOAN first before you look for cars.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Well since the loan will be pulled out by my parents. they have really good credit. So i dnt see a major problem there.. We are going through our credit union and they just need the VIN to check the vehicles value and such and my parents and the credit union staff say they will get approved for the asking price.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Edit: I am really kinda of clueless myself on how maintenance works I usually just go to my uncles shop when I think something is wrong with my integra. I do check the oil b4 I head on long trips. but oil changes are done at a local EZ lube shop for oil changes by the sticker they give you.
Ooofta, not the best way of doing it. Preventitive maintenance is better than fixing it because it breaks because it wasn't maintained. That's the good and bad of forums like these. You find all of things you "should be" doing to the car to keep it running well. While you're doing the maintenance you can learn all sorts of things, too.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

@sodaks2k usually I'm just paranoid with things like oh my engine runs kinda weird. I would go to my uncles shop, but usually he always indicates that my car is fine no problems. I see him on a daily basis when I'm in town and he always tells me "you have a really good running car". I still get compliments on how it rides and the condition outside. My dad is the one who tells me to stop trying to find a reason that your car has a problem when it doesnt. I am very observant but I understand what you mean.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Mechanically:
Test Drove it! to me the engine seemed smooth but my mom who tagged along in the backseat during the test drive said it jerked a bit when switching gears. usually around the 3rd gear. great pickup on freeway no problems.
Is this a 5AT or 6MT? If it's a 6MT then it may need the 3rd and 4th gear switches replaced. Also, at that mileage you should probably have the valves adjusted.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Damn forgot to type that in as well. It a 5AT no need for a manual car when your in traffic. I will be sure to look out for that when my uncle takes a look at the engine.