Possibly new TL owner - just some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010 | 11:33 PM
3rd Gear

Possibly new TL owner - just some questions

Hello,

I'm brand new here and I'm sure you guys get sick of these threads but I've done some searching and wasn't really able to find the results I was hoping for.

I currently drive a 2002 RSX Type S, it's still relatively low mileage (around 70K miles). The car is fun and all but I'm starting to get sick of having to rev the hell out of the engine to get any power, also, the car is depreciating quickly and I'm seeing more and more of these cars riced out nowadays.

That brings me here today, I've spent the last month or so looking at some new options, cars such as the 350Z/G35/330ci/WRX. Whatever car I go with, will be my daily driver and with me living in Canada, I knew I'd have some issues with a few of these cars in the snow. Still, I looked at all of these cars and after test driving/researching as much as I could, I found that none of these cars are really for me. I almost ended up buying a 2006 WRX but couldn't stand the interior of that car.

So that brings me right back to square one, looking at my list of cars that I was interested in, there's no real logic in my choices. I'm 24 years old, I'm not married, not planning on having kids any time soon and am still in school. I started looking at the TL these last few weeks and the more I research, the more interested I am.

I love the idea of getting another Acura for reliability (my RSX has been awesome besides minor maintenance that it's needed), the FWD will help in winter. The 6 speed transmission lets me have my fun commute to school/work.

Now for my main question(s) and my main reason for posting this wall of text you see here. Being in Canada, I don't have the luxury of having a big selection of TL's to choose from. My main "have-to" for the TL is to be 6MT and in my city, I have 2 choices for that:

1. 2006 Anthracite Metallic TL Dynamic package - this car has around 45K miles on it, 1 owner, it's an Acura certified vehicle and they are asking $21K CAD before taxes. This car does not have navigation

2. 2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl (Did I get that name right?) TL Dynamic package - same model as car above, seems like it's also 1 owner, not Acura certified, this one has 54K miles on it and they are also asking $21K CAD - no navigation

Right now I'm leaning towards the AM car as it's certified with lower mileage. Am I missing out on a lot if I get the base TL? A 2007 Type S with navi costs around $31K CAD so that's quite the jump in price. Seems like all I'd really miss out on is that 30 HP, the exterior pieces, and navigation?

Lastly, for anyone who's done the upgrade from RSX Type S to TL, how was the change for you? I did test drive the Anthracite Metallic car today and while I liked the way it drove, I know the TL is in a whole different class compared to the RSX but I'm just looking for reviews from others who have made the change. I'm not planning on modding the TL (maybe basic stuff eventually i.e. a nice drop/wheels/exhaust) but nothing major. Does this car seem like it's right for me?

Cliffs:

Is the upgrade from a 2002 RSX Type S to a 2006 base TL worth it?
Old 07-24-2010 | 12:58 AM
10th Gear

RSX and TL are two different car, sport coupe vs luxury sedan. If you really want an upgrade that is worth it get an Acura NSX.
Old 07-24-2010 | 05:46 AM
Suzuka Master

If I were you and I could swing the extra dollars, I'd get a TL-S as there is more to the TL-S than just the 30 HP. Not a big fan of the wheels and some of the other design features of the TL-S, but it is the top of the line model, as I recommend buying the best available model at the price you can afford. If it's out of your range and you'll be satisfied with the TL, there are many available options that can be added to the TL as you probably have seen here on the forum. Having a 6 M/T at least affords the limited slip diff that will help in the snow.

Many say not to purchase a TL without the nav, and I am one of those, as it is more than just a navigation system so give it some thought. If there is a limited selection in your area, the price is right, the car is right and w/o nav, go for it, be happy and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-24-2010 | 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

If an A/T is a possibility, take a look at the silver TL-S CPO at Silver Hill, 104K 26.9 CDN.
Old 07-24-2010 | 06:37 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply!

You make very good points, I'm afraid if I buy the car without nav, I'll always have regrets.

I'm trying to avoid the automatic TLs as I love my manual transmissions. I think what I'm going to do is go test drive the AM TL one more time, I fell in love with it when I test drove it yesterday and I figure if I like it more than my RSX, than I might as well upgrade.

Worst case scenario, I can always just save up some more money and just wait for a private party 6MT TL-S to pop up
Old 07-24-2010 | 08:59 PM
Pro

Whereabouts in Alberta are you sunny? I've been on the hunt for a TL for a couple of months now. I was going to test drive a KBP TL-S next week but it got sold before I could even go see it in person. The selection definitely isn't the greatest over here. I'm very keen on getting a 2007 with navi.
Old 07-24-2010 | 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by v|nsan|ty
Whereabouts in Alberta are you sunny? I've been on the hunt for a TL for a couple of months now. I was going to test drive a KBP TL-S next week but it got sold before I could even go see it in person. The selection definitely isn't the greatest over here. I'm very keen on getting a 2007 with navi.
I'm actually in Calgary. That sucks about the 07 selling so quick, I don't think I've even seen a KBP Type S here on the roads. What's your price range? Northwest Acura in Calgary has a black 08 Type S with a 6MT transmission for $31,950, has somewhat higher mileage on it though (62K KM). Not sure if it has navi? Looking at these pictures, it looks like it does but they don't mention it in the ad (but then again, they also say the car is an automatic so maybe they forgot to include it?). Here's the car:

http://www.northwestacuracalgary.com...da50dd0250.htm

I was hoping I'd be able to find a Type S privately but as you said, the selection is very bad.
Old 07-26-2010 | 01:32 AM
Pro

Actually I'm not too bummed out about it being sold. It was an 07 yet it had +90K KM on it. Hence why the price was going for around 26K, but still overpriced imo. I'm hovering around 25K in terms of price range. That black type-s looks sexy. There was actually a black type-s at weber mazda weeks ago that I turned a blind eye to since it was NBP. I prefer WDP or a KBP if it happens to come along

Good luck on your car hunt!