Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Possible Solution For 6MT Dirty Wheel Problem

Anyone try these?

http://www.partsandaccessories.com/a...ped_brand=true
Old 01-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that would be soooooo ugly, they are black plates that cover ur brakes so u can't see them. UGLY
Old 01-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

They also can cause your brakes to overheat easily.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ewwww, i like to see the disc brakes in the back ground
Old 01-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Only solution is:

Hose, soap, wipe
Old 01-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Resident auto maniac

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Only solution is:

Hose, soap, wipe

I agree..

You know what I found tho? When you are out of wheel cleaner, windex works pretty well... if not better...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Only solution is:

Hose, soap, wipe
Agreed with a slight mod.... occasionally wax.

Covers will inevitably cause problems plus they would look worse than the little bit of dust that builds up between washing. I've seen cars do much worse things with dust than the TL.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
The ammonia in windex is a little hard on the clear on the wheels .. If you want solid cheap protection put on a few layers of NuFinish 24 hours apart .. Use Klasse SG or Zaino if you have it ..

As long as your car/wheels are washed weekly the dust won't be a damaging issue .. if not .. the dust mixed with water becomes acidic and eats the clear.

I never use wheel cleaners for the same reason .. a little rough on the clear and if the wheels are washed regularly there is no need for it .. The cleaners also strip the wax.

The clear on the wheels is close to the same as on the body .. so abusing it with cleaners etc tends to dull them after a while.

Just get an old sheepskin wash mitt and use it with the last of the car wash water/soap.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Safety Car

i have a solution to the brake dust, just don't ever step on the brakes....that should fix it.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I've been using Simple Green for years. I works great and causes no wheel damage
Old 01-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by caball88
i have a solution to the brake dust, just don't ever step on the brakes....that should fix it.

Haha

Yeah, it's a pain wiping my wheels every other day. I have not waxed my wheels, but I need to soon since the was would help the dust to not stick on the wheels. It would be easier to clean if you wax your wheels.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Adobeman
Agreed with a slight mod.... occasionally wax.

Covers will inevitably cause problems plus they would look worse than the little bit of dust that builds up between washing. I've seen cars do much worse things with dust than the TL.

coat your wheels with some wax, when brake dust builds up, hose and wipe, comes right off!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
10th Gear

Different Brake Pads Perhaps?

I came from having a Chrysler Crossfire which had just awful brake dust problems on the front wheels. It would only take 3-4 days after washing to have them covered in dust again. After reading over the Crossfire forums it was suggested to buy a brake pad called 'Rotex Gold' brake pads for the front tires. It supposedly fixed the problem and reduced dust by like 99%. I browsed the net quickly and nothing came up right away, but if I can dig up the forum that I used to go to I will see if I can find anything....also want to note, I have no idea if they would work for the TL...so pretty much I could be blabbering about something that could possibly be no use to anyone here.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WildBill448
I came from having a Chrysler Crossfire which had just awful brake dust problems on the front wheels. It would only take 3-4 days after washing to have them covered in dust again. After reading over the Crossfire forums it was suggested to buy a brake pad called 'Rotex Gold' brake pads for the front tires. It supposedly fixed the problem and reduced dust by like 99%. I browsed the net quickly and nothing came up right away, but if I can dig up the forum that I used to go to I will see if I can find anything....also want to note, I have no idea if they would work for the TL...so pretty much I could be blabbering about something that could possibly be no use to anyone here.
The Crossfire shares a lot of parts with the Mercedes SLK. My past 6 cars have been German (Audi & Mercedes). I don't know if you ever notice every Audi, BMW, or Mercedes on the road has filthy front wheels. The german pads are notorious for dusty badly. Looks like they gave the same pads to the Crossfire too.

The last two Audi's I purchased, I had ordered new pads before I even took delivery of the car. I drove it home after delivery, and up it went on the jacks for an immediate pad swap to less dusty pads (EBC Greenstuffs). It cut down on my dusting my 80% at least. The Acura is nothing compared to the German cars.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by caball88
Old 01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dont use any product on your wheels if it is a warm or hot day/ Soap and water safe bet
Old 01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

I've been using Simple Green for years. I works great and causes no wheel damage
I just hope your dilluting it some as it is pretty harsh stuff on the clear coat .. would you wash your fender with it?

On the wheel waxing note .. most carnuba waxs will not stand the heat generated at the wheels .. you will need a polymer to be effective and have any life. Klasse SG or Zaino are great .. but expensive and if you don't have them on the shelf at home go get a bottle of liquid NuFinish ($5). Its one of the lowest cost and best polymers for wheel protection.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I just hope your dilluting it some as it is pretty harsh stuff on the clear coat .. would you wash your fender with it?
I usually don't put anything on my paint but car soap and zaino. I've used SG in 3 cars now with no issues. My first step is to hose down the car and wheels. Then I walk around and spray my wheels with SG, then hit them with one of my old wash mits and hose them off after each wheel. I normally wash my cars twice a week, and I've never had SG effect my finish of any of my allow wheels. I've actually had horrible results with purchased wheels cleaning product which seem to contain a mild acid. Those would cause problems with time. SG seems to be much milder than those products, but still has the punch to remove brake dust and dirt without hurting the finish.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

I usually don't put anything on my paint but car soap and zaino. I've used SG in 3 cars now with no issues. My first step is to hose down the car and wheels. Then I walk around and spray my wheels with SG, then hit them with one of my old wash mits and hose them off after each wheel. I normally wash my cars twice a week, and I've never had SG effect my finish of any of my allow wheels. I've actually had horrible results with purchased wheels cleaning product which seem to contain a mild acid. Those would cause problems with time. SG seems to be much milder than those products, but still has the punch to remove brake dust and dirt without hurting the finish.
My point was your wheels are clear coated as is your fender .. the Simple Green with time won't be good for the wheels and will slowly dull them as it is working on the clear coat. You may not think its happening but after a years worth of using it put a new whell beside one of yours and you will see the difference. Simple Green will attack and haze bare aluminum so its either acidic ot alkaline .. And if your washing 2wice a week you should have no need for a wheel cleaner of any sort .. Car wash soap and water will do it.

Not many cars dust worse than a Audi/VW and I never had a need for anything but soap and water if its not left to sit on the wheels for weeks.

I detail high end cars high end cars professionally and do have experience in this field. Examples
Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing the brake pads is the thing to do.
I hope pbr/axxis starts or does make their deluxe pads for the brembo setup.

I used them on the passat that had dust worse than the TL, and the deluxe pads were about dustless, but worked great.

Brett
Old 01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

My point was your wheels are clear coated as is your fender .. the Simple Green with time won't be good for the wheels and will slowly dull them as it is working on the clear coat. You may not think its happening but after a years worth of using it put a new whell beside one of yours and you will see the difference. Simple Green will attack and haze bare aluminum so its either acidic ot alkaline .. And if your washing 2wice a week you should have no need for a wheel cleaner of any sort .. Car wash soap and water will do it.

Not many cars dust worse than a Audi/VW and I never had a need for anything but soap and water if its not left to sit on the wheels for weeks.

I detail high end cars high end cars professionally and do have experience in this field. Examples
I believe you. Maybe it's the fact I never keep my cars for max 2.5 years. You think that's maybe why I don't see the results, and I always have seperate winter and summer wheels (so I spread out the wear)? I'll take note to your post, especially if I plan to start keeping my cars longer (which I do because they are a waste of money).
Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
tTLiang

detailer....cool..could you please share some more effective methods to remove swirl marks (hard to avoid them on the black car) for diy? thanks much.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody used those Michelin dust repellent? I could not find that ever in any auto part store.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I like "Wheel Wax". I used it on many of my cars with good success. Holds up to weather nicely, but still no substitute for a good wash and wheel care.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Only solution is:

Hose, soap, wipe
I learned my lesson with my 04 Maxima. I used some so called rim cleaner on my rims, and some of it ended up stripping the clear coat inside one of the wheel wells, I got it off before it could do any more damage, but now and from now on, I just use soap and water.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Only solution is:

Hose, soap, wipe
I learned my lesson with my 04 Maxima. I used some so called rim cleaner on my rims, and some of it ended up stripping the clear coat inside one of the wheel wells, I got it off before it could do any more damage, but now and from now on, I just use soap and water.

But the wax idea may be something I would try.