Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor fitting door - can anything done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor fitting door - can anything done?

For those of us who share the poorly fitting Driver Rear Door (discussed earlier) - has anyone shown it to the dealer? I was just curious if it was fixable, if the problem lies in a poorly formed door or a problem with the body? I was gonna toy around with loosening the "clasp" on the wheel well (similar to loosending a hinge on a door in your house, then retightening) to get a better fit.
That is the only real problem I have ( I have learned to live with the tires and as the number of chips grow, I have accepted that, but the door bugs me.)

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
What's a TL?

What is the problem with the doo exactly?? Does teh rear door stick out a bit when closed? If so, I had that problem, and it was resolved by the dealer very easily.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VTEC=happiness
What is the problem with the doo exactly?? Does teh rear door stick out a bit when closed? If so, I had that problem, and it was resolved by the dealer very easily.
I think he is referring to the "character" line that runs along the side of the car from the front fender to the back quarter panels. I've noticed that some doors tend to be tilted upwards slightly at the back edge. I've noticed this in a few cars at the dealer esp. with the rear passanger door. You can see it also at the top of the door at the black window frame where the front and rear doors meet. Luckily, mine is well aligned. Good luck to those who need to get theirs fixed.

dsc888
Old 05-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Team Anthracite Member

The driver rear door almost looks like it is not closed all the way - not that noticeable - but you get what I mean if I describe it that way. It is really only bad up by the groove (the one that extends length of car).

Door is sealed tight - no water, no air noise, just slightly poking out. Is this what you had?

Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
What's a TL?

Originally Posted by TBone2004
The driver rear door almost looks like it is not closed all the way - not that noticeable - but you get what I mean if I describe it that way. It is really only bad up by the groove (the one that extends length of car).

Door is sealed tight - no water, no air noise, just slightly poking out. Is this what you had?

Yup...and it was an easy fix.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Team Anthracite Member

for real? That would so make my day. My wife won't even stay in the room if I mention it anymore. OK, I will go to the dealer then (I'll have them tighten my parking brake too then - been holding off)

VTEC, thanks for the info - this is great news. I guess I just assumed it was unfixable (never assume!)

Like the old Bud Light commercials...I love you man!

TB

Yup...and it was an easy fix.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:47 AM
What's a TL?

for real? That would so make my day. My wife won't even stay in the room if I mention it anymore. OK, I will go to the dealer then (I'll have them tighten my parking brake too then - been holding off)

VTEC, thanks for the info - this is great news. I guess I just assumed it was unfixable (never assume!)

Like the old Bud Light commercials...I love you man!

TB
Damn, I hope I'm not wrong....that would turn the tables a bit! I am convinced that we are on the same page, and your door will no longer slightly stick out from the body
Old 05-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
TBone, could you take a shot at your rear door? I wonder what it looks like... Thanks.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

I had the same issue. Dealer fixed it, now it's perfect. Funny thing is that my 99 TL had the same issue (drivers side rear door). I never complained about it because it didn't stick out much, and I assumed it was not fixable (or would cause other problems). This is just bad QC on the part of Acura.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I have had this problem before, and if the strike plate is adjusted, the flush fit should be achieved.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
my passenger's side door (front) looks like it's not closed all the way .. and when I run my fingers over the edge of the front pass. door onto the the rear pass. door, I can feel the unevenness...

chalk this one up to Acura's crap quality control standards... if this car truly had all these dinky problems engineered OUT of the vehicle, it would probably cost over $40,000 for the base model considering what you get for the money.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:29 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I will tonight - I just saw your post now. I do not think I can post it here tho...any suggestions? Astroboy - how do I put a pic in my reply?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by rets
TBone, could you take a shot at your rear door? I wonder what it looks like... Thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Had the same problem with driver side rear door. Had to leave over night, but dealer took care of it.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

sorry for the bad pic - it was dark, the car is pollen covered and the flash was reflecting off the metallic paint. It is most noticeable by the groove and I also see a difference from the passenger side rear by the 45 degree angle part where it meets the roof line.

I will tonight - I just saw your post now. I do not think I can post it here tho...any suggestions? Astroboy - how do I put a pic in my reply?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
What's a TL?

Same problem I had, and it was taken care of
Old 05-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

thanks VTEC.

You guys had to see the look on my neighbors face as he walked by seeing me take such an unusual picture of my car!

Same problem I had, and it was taken care of
Old 05-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Sorry, TBone, without pic, I will never be able to imagine how it looks like. As VTEC said above, hope your Acura dealer would find the way to fix it for you.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

uh, the pic is down there .... look below - post#14.

Originally Posted by rets
Sorry, TBone, without pic, I will never be able to imagine how it looks like. As VTEC said above, hope your Acura dealer would find the way to fix it for you.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

uh, the pic is down there .... look below - post#14.
I saw it already. As I said it should be fixible, otherwise, Acura should offer the replacement. This is what my service guy told me in the day 1. Maybe Acura knows it better now after 6 months long.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 PM
Intermediate

Had the EXACT same problem. The dealer fixed it. Took two visits but its now perfect!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tbone,
I performed the adjustment on both of my rear doors Sunday. All that is needed is a large phillips screwdriver to loosen the "loop striker" within the door jam. IE Silver loop with the black plastic cover that the door latches on. Pop off the black cover and expose the two large screws, loosen, and gently tap the striker in about 1/16 of an inch. Their is plenty of movement and you can actually go too far - body sticks out farther than door, so perform small adjustments until perfect.... What worked best for me is to loosen the screws then tap them sideways to move striker mount - using a punch/hammer.

If your comfortable doing this its not very hard, otherwise, big picture - the dealer/body shop can easily make it look much better.

Smitty
Old 06-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Tbone,
I performed the adjustment on both of my rear doors Sunday. All that is needed is a large phillips screwdriver to loosen the "loop striker" within the door jam. IE Silver loop with the black plastic cover that the door latches on. Pop off the black cover and expose the two large screws, loosen, and gently tap the striker in about 1/16 of an inch. Their is plenty of movement and you can actually go too far - body sticks out farther than door, so perform small adjustments until perfect.... What worked best for me is to loosen the screws then tap them sideways to move striker mount - using a punch/hammer.

If your comfortable doing this its not very hard, otherwise, big picture - the dealer/body shop can easily make it look much better.

Smitty
WOW! I just found this reply. Only drawback to this forum - we all post so much, they scroll away so fast. KJSmitty - huge thanks man. You just confirmed my theory/plan for this weekend. That is exactly where I was headed. Dealer tried to fix the other day, they tell me they made "some adjustments", but it is still sticking out just like it was. I do not see any marks or indication they even touched the striker - idiots. Kinda scary - what DID they "adjust" then? Door will probably fly off tonight! I will try this - I was planning on anyway, but now I know it has a good chance of correcting prob. Thanks for the reply - glad I dug up my old post and saw your reply - thanks.

TB
Old 06-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Tbone,

Smitty
Smitty - how did you get the screws loose?? I think that is why the dealer - said they tried to fix it - they probably could not budge them either. Do you know, do they make a phillips attachment for my torque stick - that'll get em loose. Did you just use a regular phillips? You must have gorilla fore-arms - I couldn't budge em at all. You can see where dealer musta slipped the screw driver couple times - a little stripped. Any suggestions besides a blow torch? I gotta fix this door!!

thanks.