Sponsored by:

POLL: Who thinks K&N panel filters add "2-3 MPG?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question POLL: Who thinks K&N panel filters add "2-3 MPG?"

That's equates to roughly a 10% improvement for the new TL.:lol2:

Someone should write Acura and tell them how they could increase their fleet mileage by ~ 10% @ the cost of ~ $12 per vehicle (their cost delta between a K&N and the OEM filter).
Old 03-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
um, didn't set it up as a poll
Old 03-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on what it's replacing. If you're comparied a new cotton filter with a new paper filter, there isn't going to be much (if any) difference. But the paper filter gets dirty sooner, so if you compared to filters at say 10K or 15K miles, you could see a difference in fuel mileage due to the paper filter blocking flow more than the cotton filter would at that mileage.

If you change your paper (even a cheap paper) filter often, you won't see any difference between a cotton and paper filter in terms of MPH, HP or anything else. As you pointed on in other threads, any dyno number posted are typically within the margin of error of the dyno and don't prove anything. The testor could simply be picking favorable pulls.

I run cotton for 2 reasons. It came with the CAI and I would have otherwise been changing the filter with every oil change and since I drive tons of miles (30K a year minimum) over a few years that can add up especially since I would be so lazy as to just have the dealer do it during the service...so I'm sure the filter would be a billion dollars plus another billion in labor charges.

With cotton I can just pull and clean it twice a year and I'm good to go.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Retired MOD

Re: POLL: Who thinks K&N panel filters add "2-3 MPG?"

Originally posted by harddrivin1le

Someone should write Acura and tell them how they could increase their fleet mileage by ~ 10% @ the cost of ~ $12 per vehicle (their cost delta between a K&N and the OEM filter).
That is because is not true..... also the filter has to be maintain more often.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Lurker

Cotton takes LESS maintanence than paper.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by Skeedatl
It depends on what it's replacing. If you're comparied a new cotton filter with a new paper filter, there isn't going to be much (if any) difference. But the paper filter gets dirty sooner, so if you compared to filters at say 10K or 15K miles, you could see a difference in fuel mileage due to the paper filter blocking flow more than the cotton filter would at that mileage.
Have you seen foam / cotton filters after 15k miles...they get very dirty too. I could show you, I have a pic.

If you change your paper (even a cheap paper) filter often, you won't see any difference between a cotton and paper filter in terms of MPH, HP or anything else. As you pointed on in other threads, any dyno number posted are typically within the margin of error of the dyno and don't prove anything. The testor could simply be picking favorable pulls.
Can't disagree, but filters other than paper are also louder

I run cotton for 2 reasons. It came with the CAI and I would have otherwise been changing the filter with every oil change and since I drive tons of miles (30K a year minimum) over a few years that can add up especially since I would be so lazy as to just have the dealer do it during the service...so I'm sure the filter would be a billion dollars plus another billion in labor charges.

With cotton I can just pull and clean it twice a year and I'm good to go.
So you think....this is the main reason I got rid of mine. I also drive 30k plus a year.....I change oil every 5k miles and try to clean the filter every other oil change, but I have to pull it out clean it then oil it. The first few times was easy.....but it seems like it get's harder to clean as time goes.....plus they also have a limited life span.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Lurker

I've never had to replace a cotton filter...they always outlasted the car. As for dirt at 15K, the thing about cotton is they can still filter and have decent flow at 15K. They "look" dirty but that isn't a guage of airflow and filtering performance. The second you oil it and get fine dust on it they look filthy.

My point was at 15K a paper filter is utterly and completely dead while the cotton will keep on doing its work. IOW cotton stay more efficient longer.

But that's the choice anyone can make. You don't favor cotton, you're free to run paper. Me, I prefer cotton.

With noise...my CAI is plenty noisy...I dunno how much is due to filter, how much is due to no silencer. I never ran a cotton filter in the stock box so I don't know about the TL, but I ran cotton in my old 5-0 and it didn't seem any louder. But who could tell over 2-1/2" exhaust and 2 chamber flowmasters.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Retired MOD

With noise...my CAI is plenty noisy...I dunno how much is due to filter, how much is due to no silencer. I never ran a cotton filter in the stock box so I don't know about the TL, but I ran cotton in my old 5-0 and it didn't seem any louder. But who could tell over 2-1/2" exhaust and 2 chamber flowmasters.
Most of it is due to the silenser (aka resornator) same goes for the performance.....that is why I always tell people to remove it instead of paying for an overpriced CAI. The 04 has a very efficient intake already....if you install a CAI (removes the resornator and secondary tubing) is they same as just removing it and adding the same type of filter that comes with the CAI to the airbox.

If you mainly buy it for looks, then yeah it does look better than the stock airbox.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Cotton takes LESS maintanence than paper.
I'd argue that cleaning/re-oiling those filters is far more maintenence intensive than merely disposing an old one and throwing in a new one.

However, that's neither here nor there in terms of this post.

Here are examples of what people are claiming:

Originally posted by cybershot
I realize that it doesn't make much sense, but i installed the K&N yesterday before my 150 mile trip to Austin from Houston. I have 5K miles on the car and it always gets around 29-30 on the highway going around 75 mph. The whole way I was getting right at 32. All I'm saying is mine changed. If I reset it while driving on the highway on cruise control it gives 32 mpg, before yesterday, this method showed 29-30 mpg. I know this may add some fuel to the flames, but they were my observations.
Originally posted by marquis
Anyone else have experience with these air filters and whether they think they are worth using? An extra 2-3 mpg for $40 is a good deal in my book. Performance boost would be a plus too.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: POLL: Who thinks K&N panel filters add "2-3 MPG?"

Originally posted by Bitium
That is because is not true..... also the filter has to be maintain more often.
I agree with you 100%.

Others claim otherwise. (See my post directly above)

The people making these claims fail to understand that they're claming a ~ 10% increase overall engine efficiency merely by installing a different air filter and that if that were the case, they'd see similar gains on a chassis dyno (~ 23 more peak HP and a corresponding percentage gain across the entire RPM spectrum).
Old 03-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Lurker

I'd argue that cleaning/re-oiling those filters is far more maintenence intensive than merely disposing an old one and throwing in a new one.
Depends...paying for and going out to get the paper filter is more of a pain...or worse, paying the dealer to do it which is what my lazy ass does....then get bent at the $100 oil change bill.

It's way easier (and cheaper) for me to clean my filter twice a year than go out and buy or have the deal install 4 or more paper filters a year. I typically clean the filters when I'm detailing the car so that the time it takes the cotton to dry isn't a problem. I just consider it "detailing" my filter. Takes just a few minutes if you don't count the drying time.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Depends...paying for and going out to get the paper filter is more of a pain...or worse, paying the dealer to do it which is what my lazy ass does....then get bent at the $100 oil change bill.

It's way easier (and cheaper) for me to clean my filter twice a year than go out and buy or have the deal install 4 or more paper filters a year. I typically clean the filters when I'm detailing the car so that the time it takes the cotton to dry isn't a problem. I just consider it "detailing" my filter. Takes just a few minutes if you don't count the drying time.
I run an AMSOIL Filter in my Z28....

Same basic deal as a K&N in terms of maintenance.

I run it mainly because I don't have to keep buying replacement (paper) filters.

But these claims of ~ 10% mileage improvements are outright insane.

If that were the case then wed see similar gains in power on chassis dynos (~ 230 stock and with the paper filter and ~ 250 merely by installing a K&N).
Old 03-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Lurker

I wouldn't believe gains in HP, but I would believe 10% loss in a dirty paper filter compared to the same mileage K&N...but that's not based on anything but visual inspection of filthy paper filters compared to the cotton ones. But visual inspection doesn't mean much. Given that paper filters do get clogged faster, logic simply suggests that when they're massively clogged there will be a drop in HP and MPG just as if there were any obstruction in the airstream.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Drifting

I wouldn't believe gains in HP, but I would believe 10% loss in a dirty paper filter compared to the same mileage K&N...but that's not based on anything but visual inspection of filthy paper filters compared to the cotton ones. But visual inspection doesn't mean much. Given that paper filters do get clogged faster, logic simply suggests that when they're massively clogged there will be a drop in HP and MPG just as if there were any obstruction in the airstream.
"Massively clogged"? After 5,000 miles?

And remember, a ~ 10% gain mileage (same car/driver/driving style) would equate to a ~ comparable gain in output on a chassis dyno.

Thus, the guy below should see ~20-plus drivewheel HP gains (plus comparable percentage gains across the entire rpm spectrum) when he throws his TL on a chassis dyno.

He won't.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by cybershot
I realize that it doesn't make much sense, but i installed the K&N yesterday before my 150 mile trip to Austin from Houston. I have 5K miles on the car and it always gets around 29-30 on the highway going around 75 mph. The whole way I was getting right at 32. All I'm saying is mine changed. If I reset it while driving on the highway on cruise control it gives 32 mpg, before yesterday, this method showed 29-30 mpg. I know this may add some fuel to the flames, but they were my observations.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Racer

You made an entirely new thread to mock those that say they see this improvement with the K&N air filter? Why? Don't you have better things to do with your time that going over posts with a fine tooth comb simply to prove them wrong and argue over 15 pages about air filters?

Why is it so important to you that you are proven right and that you point out other people's incorrect observations or assertions?

It's really getting old.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLProspect
You made an entirely new thread to mock those that say they see this improvement with the K&N air filter? Why? Don't you have better things to do with your time that going over posts with a fine tooth comb simply to prove them wrong and argue over 15 pages about air filters?

Why is it so important to you that you are proven right and that you point out other people's incorrect observations or assertions?

It's really getting old.
Why do you visit my threads if they bother you so? No-one MAKES you read them; doing so is soley YOUR decision.

And do you want people blowing their money based on FALSE CLAIMS/igorance?

I want people to know that they WILL NOT SEE any quantifiable gain in fuel economy by switching from a (less than totally filthy) OEM paper air filter to a K&N replacement panel filter.

PERIOD

:clown: :thefinger:
Old 03-28-2004, 12:41 PM
Racer

You're right, I should have looked at the "thread starter". I'll know better next time.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Lurker

"Massively clogged"? After 5,000 miles?
I change using the in-car Service Minder as per Acura recommends. Which means oil changes in the 8K range. And yes, here in the dirty/dusty southwest where rain in infrequent my paper filters are completely dead at 8K miles which is why I changed to cotton.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLProspect
You're right, I should have looked at the "thread starter". I'll know better next time.
Yes...good idea.

That way you can continue living with eyes closed. Living if much easier that way.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Racer

Please point out where the in quote you used by me makes *any* claims on the results of using a K&N filter. Sheesh, get your facts straight you moron. Better yet, keep me out of your asinine, pointless, imflamatory arguments.

However, that's neither here nor there in terms of this post.

Here are examples of what people are claiming:

quoteriginally posted by marquis
Anyone else have experience with these air filters and whether they think they are worth using? An extra 2-3 mpg for $40 is a good deal in my book. Performance boost would be a plus too.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Racer

Yes...good idea.

That way you can continue living with eyes closed. Living if much easier that way.
Why, because I don't want to hear your endless rhetoric? Reading your posts is the only way to enlightenment? That's pretty arrogant.

No one is saying you're wrong. The way you present your ideas, facts, whatever, is in a tactless, I'm right/you're completely wrong attitude. How about arguing in a manner that doesn't require insults and back handed comments? There's an idea.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Drifting

Please point out where the in quote you used by me makes *any* claims on the results of using a K&N filter. Sheesh, get your facts straight you moron. Better yet, keep me out of your asinine, pointless, imflamatory arguments.
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

You've posted this before. The work it takes to use a K&N makes it unsuitable for the average car sold to the average consumer.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Lurker

Besides...where's the profit in it. Acura doesn't get to sell replacement filters every oil change.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Racer

The K&N may or may not save me few mpg, but it sure keeps the jiffylube guys from asking if I want to purchase their $15 paper filter - along with $10 wiper blades, $50 belts, hoses, etc....
Old 03-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Lurker

That right there justifies running a cotton filter
Old 03-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by Norse396
The work it takes to use a K&N makes it unsuitable for the average car sold to the average consumer.
I agree with Norse. I had a K&N in my first new car, and found it to be a pain in the butt because of the downtime waiting for the filter to dry after cleaning, the need to keep yet another fluid in the garage, etc. When I got rid of that car, I never even really thought seriously about getting another K&N. I gave the left-over filter lube I had to a friend and never looked back.

Others have a differing opinion, and I respect that.

Another thing to consider is the K&N can present a minor hazard to some cars; my previous car used a "hot wire" MAF. There were some owners who tried the K&N (and Amsoil) in that car, and ended up with a thin coating of the filter lubricant on the hot wire of the MAF, which caused the MAF to malfunction. It may be that they over-oiled their filters, but that is a hazard of use.

This may not be the case with the TL, but it is something to consider: if the creator of the car didn't design in a lubricated filter, they may not have designe the car to deal with the lubricant.

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by casooner90
The K&N may or may not save me few mpg, but it sure keeps the jiffylube guys from asking if I want to purchase their $15 paper filter - along with $10 wiper blades, $50 belts, hoses, etc....
Not going to JiffyLube accomplishes the same thing...

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Happy in the Abyss

NAH!

2-3 mpg - no way.

Jim
Old 03-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

:lol1: So true!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Yes...good idea.

I'm so glad you are here to open our eyes and lead us into the promised land. You are truly a saint and you are so wise too. Thanks for blessing poor ingnorant souls like myself with your massive knowledge of all things.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: POLL: Who thinks K&N panel filters add "2-3 MPG?"

That's equates to roughly a 10% improvement for the new TL.:lol2:

Better add to that letter that synthetic oils protect engines better, last longer intervals, and get better mpg than the dino oil that comes with the car.

And a synthetic oil filter such Mobil 1 or Bosch would filter much more that the stock paper filter, and very likely would help the engine last longer.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:19 PM