3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you used Metallic Tint ... any problems?
I have metallic tint w/ no problems
33.33%
I have/had metallic tint and had problems
8.33%
I have non-metallic tint
25.00%
I don't have tint but wanted to participate
33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Probs w/ Metallic Tint??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Probs w/ Metallic Tint??

I know I know, there's been a ton of threads asking for opinions on the problems associated with metallic tint. In all the threads I've read the information is mostly anecdotal.

I know the manual says "Don't use metallic tint!" But i have used Metallic with no ill effects.

I am looking for actual experiences ... have you used metallic tint and if so have you had any problems with Nav?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I thought Formula One had ceramic tint...
Old 05-12-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm Baaack!

Formula one has the Pinnacle series which is ceramic, I have Ultimate series which is metallic

Here's the Formula One website
Old 05-12-2005, 07:13 PM
100k miles club

i've had my metallic tint for over a month now and i drive everyday. no problems so far w/ navi or xm reception. on weekends i drive places i don't normally go and still no problems
Old 05-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by w1n78
i've had my metallic tint for over a month now and i drive everyday. no problems so far w/ navi or xm reception. on weekends i drive places i don't normally go and still no problems
You wouldn't have problems with xm radio reception as the antenna is on the outside of the roof.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by Xpditor
You wouldn't have problems with xm radio reception as the antenna is on the outside of the roof.
duh! thx XP you have proven my stupidity
Old 05-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If the TL is like other cars, the antenna for the NAV is under the dash near the front defrosters. In which case, (unless you tinted your windshield), you wouldn't have problems either.

Heck, when you tint the rear glass, the you are covering the interior side of the antenna, not the side facing outside, so you would think that shouldn't effect reception either.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Wink An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Originally Posted by avs007
If the TL is like other cars, the antenna for the NAV is under the dash near the front defrosters. In which case, (unless you tinted your windshield), you wouldn't have problems either.
The GPS antenna for the Navi system is under the rear window package shelf. The owner's manual say NOT to use metallic tint or it will interfer with GPS signals. Weaker signals can cause delays on updating the position on the screen and could affect the accuracy.

It seems AM reception is harmed more than FM with metallic tint. Also, cell phone signals from inside the car will be weaker with metallic tint.

There's really not a big debate about this. It's a known fact and you are warned about it in the Acura manual.

However, several people on this forum have said that their Navi seems to work OK with metallic tint.

It may be that they are in an area of strong signals or else they don't notice the deteriorated performance because they didn't establish a baseline before installing the tint. Whatever. If they're happy- fine.

I chose to take Acura's advice and not risk it. After spending $2000, I'd like the Navi to work the best it can.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Xpditor
There's really not a big debate about this. It's a known fact and you are warned about it in the Acura manual.
ahh sensei - if it were not that big of a debate I believe the results of the poll would be much different....

At this point 1/8 people with Metallic tint indicated a problem .. and they were kind enough to not elucidate. Definitely not scientific but it certainly begins to underscore that perhaps Acura was being a bit over cautious?? (Not that I blame them)

I brought this up for all those people considering their options. Why have people pay roughly twice as much for ceramic tint if they don't need to??
Old 05-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
ahh sensei - if it were not that big of a debate I believe the results of the poll would be much different....

At this point 1/8 people with Metallic tint indicated a problem .. and they were kind enough to not elucidate. Definitely not scientific but it certainly begins to underscore that perhaps Acura was being a bit over cautious?? (Not that I blame them)

I brought this up for all those people considering their options. Why have people pay roughly twice as much for ceramic tint if they don't need to??

Let me say again:

Originally Posted by XPDITOR
There's really not a big debate about this (degradation of signal). It's a known fact and you are warned about it in the Acura manual.

However, several people on this forum have said that their Navi seems to work OK with metallic tint.

It may be that they are in an area of strong signals or else they don't notice the deteriorated performance because they didn't establish a baseline before installing the tint. Whatever. If they're happy- fine.
My Formula One Pinnacle was $79 more than metallic tint: $225.00 total + tax.

For those who don't mind or don't notice the degraded signal, they can save the $79 or so.

For those of us who have used a handheld GPS in a vehicle with metallic tint, we have observed LOS unless you put the GPS up on the dash under the clear windshield where it will function much better as shown by the signal strength of the satellites.

I stand by my original statements. For those for whom it doesn't matter, I'm happy if you're happy.

Your poll assumes the respondents have Navi but it doesn't specifically ask that.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

It doesnt matter because the inconsistency, if any, is minimal.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had metallic tint on my 04 accord w/ navi and now my TL (is only option in my area).

Anyway it affects your NAVI signal a lot... I tested this with both cars, I checked how many sats connected before tint, which would be like8.... Now after tint some areas I get 0-5, with avg 3, when I use to have 5-8 avg of 6...

It kills the signal a lot... I have even looked into moving the GPS atenna to outside of the car, and getting a real small one and putting on trunk and have it black like my car is so it blends in better, but cant find anything with right connectors.

Anyway its a fact the metal in tint DOES affect the navi... most wont notice it because the navi tracks good even with no signal, however they do a lot of road work in my area and it changes a lot so in my case its not accurate all the time and when I get back on a known road it does not update my location for some time, when in past it was almost instant...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

I take back my "minimal" comment. It had me going into the lake today.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

How can you check how many satellites are hooked?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB2k5
I have had metallic tint on my 04 accord w/ navi and now my TL (is only option in my area).

Anyway it affects your NAVI signal a lot... I tested this with both cars, I checked how many sats connected before tint, which would be like8.... Now after tint some areas I get 0-5, with avg 3, when I use to have 5-8 avg of 6...

It kills the signal a lot... I have even looked into moving the GPS atenna to outside of the car, and getting a real small one and putting on trunk and have it black like my car is so it blends in better, but cant find anything with right connectors.

Anyway its a fact the metal in tint DOES affect the navi... most wont notice it because the navi tracks good even with no signal, however they do a lot of road work in my area and it changes a lot so in my case its not accurate all the time and when I get back on a known road it does not update my location for some time, when in past it was almost instant...

what tint brand was it?

There are some tint brands that are not full metal tints, but metalized hybrids, its my guess these wouldn't affect signals as much.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Luv my TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had my car tinted at steve's tint at upland. they did a marvelous job!!!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo
what tint brand was it?

There are some tint brands that are not full metal tints, but metalized hybrids, its my guess these wouldn't affect signals as much.
How dark are your tints? I'm sure darker tints have more "metal" particles in them as well. With that said, my metallic tints are 30% in all of my cars, and I don't have problems with AM/FM/Cell/Navi reception in any of my cars.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:58 AM
4th Gear

Checking how many sats you pick up

Originally Posted by Steel
How can you check how many satellites are hooked?
A user in another thread posted this (I don't remember who, otherwise I would give recognition):

1. When your nav screen is on, hold map/menu and the cancel button all at the same time for 5-7 seconds. It will bring you to the diagnoses screen.
2. Press the upper right GPS reception button and drive around.
3. It will show you all the satellites that you are picking up.
a. You need at least four for accurate readings.
b. If you have at least four there is nothing wrong.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steel
I take back my "minimal" comment. It had me going into the lake today.
Its not your tint. My tsx used to do that all the time especially in south carolina in hilton head. I had ceramic tint put on and it still did it sometimes. Acura says to turn the car off and back on again. I have an 05 tl with metallic and no probs yet.