3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which oil change service should I choose?
1. Let the dealer do it all for $7 and use maintenance coupon book (least expensive option)
34.62%
2. Let the dealer do it, bring in my own oil, and use the maintenance coupon book.
26.92%
3. Screw the dealer and change the oil myself (most expensive option).
38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Oil Change Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 01:12 AM
I make Boom Boom in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll: Oil Change Dilema

I am due for my first oil change (2005 TL). Here is my dilema:

1. I have a coupon special from the dealer for an oil change, complete with oil, filter, crush washer, and washer, fluid check and tire check, for $7.

2. I'd like to switch to full syn (mobil 1, etc...), but doing so will cost me an extra $10-20.

I also have a maintenance book that gives me every other oil change free ($35-100+ depending on the mileage of the car/oil change) and requires me to go to the dealer to use the maintenance book. This book also has the 7.5K, 12.5K, 17.5K, etc... check ups and fixes.

So should I go with the dealer for the special price and use their oil or should I bring in my own oil and still let the dealer change the oil or change the oil myself?

Yes, I am cheap.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:42 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by txathlete
I am due for my first oil change (2005 TL). Here is my dilema:

1. I have a coupon special from the dealer for an oil change, complete with oil, filter, crush washer, and washer, fluid check and tire check, for $7.

2. I'd like to switch to full syn (mobil 1, etc...), but doing so will cost me an extra $10-20.

I also have a maintenance book that gives me every other oil change free ($35-100+ depending on the mileage of the car/oil change) and requires me to go to the dealer to use the maintenance book. This book also has the 7.5K, 12.5K, 17.5K, etc... check ups and fixes.

So should I go with the dealer for the special price and use their oil or should I bring in my own oil and still let the dealer change the oil or change the oil myself?

Yes, I am cheap.

Nothing wrong with trying to keep an eye on your spending... That's not being cheap, rather smart.

I enjoy changing my own oil but was also a dealership mechanic for over 8 years and a "motorhead for life... Even if you bring your own oil for the first change, $7 is still a great price. I would also think that if you spoke to your service adviser and let them know you wanted to use your coupons but also continue to provide the oil,,, they may say no problem as well as take $5-$7 off per "paid" oil change.

Now, if in order to get the every other free oil change they "make you" also pay for the "high-priced" schedule "checks".....? I myself would turn away... Besides the tire rotation, everything else that they say they "look" at and charge you near $200 for is a complete joke, and is included in most oil changes anyway... Your better off having an independent shop change your oil and perform the "visual" checks for much less money. Document it in the Mx manual & save receipts - they can't void your warranty just because "Acura" did not perform said "checks"...

My theory is to not utilize a dealer unless for warranty work. Just remember one thing... When business is good, most dealership service departments (like Acura, Lexus, Infinity, BMW, etc.) turn more profit per month than the sales department!!
I hate giving them money for something I can perform in my driveway/garage.

Cheers
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I voted for #1 cause I have not had a bad dealer experience for a while. If you trust the service department, go for it, I would though lots will not.

I think its just a (nice) car and someone has to work on it that is supposed to know what they are doing. The dealer has some accountability and imho they deserve the chance to 'screw it up'. Sure you will get lots of different negative opinions.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 AM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm pretty satistied with the way my dealer does it. Eventually I'll do it myself.....
Old 05-03-2005, 02:12 AM
SleeperTL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Option 2 has worked well for me. the 'value' of dealer service and the full syn that you want to use. the former obviously requires that you trust your service advisor/dealership.