View Poll Results: Do You Prefer MT or AT and Why?
Manual Tranny
59.32%
Automatic Tranny
40.68%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007 | 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Agreed
SouthernBoy, I'm all but convinced our DNA crossed paths somewhere in our genealogy lines.

Oh and count me also in for MT!
Kind looks that way, don't it? To complete the Twilight Zone scenario, if you love guns and boats as you do performance machines, that DNA may well have spread itself around.

How's it going, anyway?
Old 03-14-2007 | 07:38 PM
Gotta..

Talking

Be honest, I am a big fan of MT, and my previous cars are all MT, but I bought an AT TL-S, some of the reasons I must state...

1. resell value is more than MT, cuz I think I only hold this car for max 3 year.
2. easier
3. auto tranny has f-1 shift paddle, kinda fun...
Old 03-14-2007 | 08:01 PM
Instructor

I'm going to have to go with Automatic. I drive way too much and it's all hils around where I am driving.
Old 03-14-2007 | 08:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Hooksta
And those that say that you don't notice shifting???? Sit in bumper to bumper traffic or try and grab your bottle of Coca-Cola, or eat your french fries when needing to shift the car and tell me you don't notice. Man someone pass me the Kool-Aid.
Fries went swell Hooksta! I got this!

Oh yeah, what flavor you want? Tropical punch?

NBP!
Old 03-14-2007 | 08:49 PM
Intermediate

I prefer driving a manual, but I prefer owning an automatic. The fun factor of driving a manual has however in the TL been replaced with paddle shifters and about forty buttons on the steering wheel. Besides, most modern automatics at full throttle can shift faster than 95% of the manual drivers who think they need a manual to out drag the other fellow. Some cars need the manual to perform, the TL doesn't. So while buying a manual TL does result in some owner satisfaction, the smart money will buy an automatic, still enjoy a lot of fun and have a more valuable asset when its time to trade or sell.
Old 03-14-2007 | 08:52 PM
CLS-6

AT recall- Nuff said. LOL MT all the way
Old 03-14-2007 | 09:23 PM
Team ABP member

I pick MT, and own a MT. However I always said that if I were to get an AT car it would have to be a TL. And low and behold I've owned a '01 and '02 TL and was happy with them, even tho I secretly wanted a manual TL which prompted my the purchase of my 3rd TL.
Old 03-14-2007 | 10:42 PM
Intermediate

MT's are exhilarating because of the raw feel but they are only incrementally faster than AT's, I like to drive my TL-S on winding roads and when I use my "crappy paddles" to down shift twice before engaging a hair pin or decreasing radius 2nd gear means 2nd gear no matter AT or MT, its all about corner speed (sorry another by-product of my motorcycle riding). Those of you who are continually knocking the Semi-Automatic tyranny’s, you should really stop in to your local Acura dealership and test drive the new TL-S AT with grade logic, shift hold control and rev matching feature it’s really well made. Don’t misunderstand me I Love a manual as much or more than the next TL owner but for some it’s more practical to own an AT and for others it’s more worth it to own a MT, either way as long as your having fun...
Old 03-14-2007 | 10:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksom1
In fact, if anything, it gives my ass something to do to keep me alert becuz that traffic can make you sleepy after a long day! You fall asleep in stop and go in an MT, and you get woken up abruptly by your engine choking out! You fall asleep in the same traffic in an AT, and yo ass gets woken up by the guy that was in front of you choking yo ass out becuz you just dented his bumper! LOL!
Yep. Happened to me years ago. In my first car, 85 Supra with stick. Coming home up the Garden State Parkway. Guy behind me fell asleep at the wheel of his AT Ford LTD (or something like that), car rolled into the back of my car, he woke up from the impact, and hit the gas thinking it was the brakes, and hit me again. Caused me about $3000 of damage, back in 1988.

My vote is MT. If you own the car for 3 years, then yes, it would be financial hit. If you own it for 8-10 years, not that much of a difference, the mileage will hurt a lot more, IMHO. If you lease, won't matter since you're returning the car anyway!
Old 03-14-2007 | 11:22 PM
Instructor

i just think i'll go nuts if i drive MT in LA traffic
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:02 AM
AZ Community Team

Been busy, this work thing keeps interfering with getting on Acurazine every once in a while (also busy at home with the family).
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Kind looks that way, don't it? To complete the Twilight Zone scenario, if you love guns and boats as you do performance machines, that DNA may well have spread itself around.

How's it going, anyway?
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:39 AM
Instructor

I prefer MT but drive AT hubby didn't know how to drive a stick at the time of purchase (does now).
Old 03-15-2007 | 09:10 AM
AZ Community Team

Good debate and I agree with some of your comments. I also ride a motorcycle (85 Honda VF500F) and that essentially procludes me from getting a sportscar since riding beats driving any day it's sunny and warm.

In terms of the AT versus MT in ownership costs, perhaps your experience had MT ownership costing more than AT but in general averaged out over many owners MT are less expensive than AT in terms of maintenance and repairs. There are roughly 3-5X more components in a AT and the fluid pressures are high so alot can and does go wrong in operation over time. The fact that you never changed fluid ever in any vehicle means you are EXTREMELY lucky since ATF is under alot of stress in typical operation.

In the MT will get you dinged every time, that I would change to "most of the time". Alot of folks out there (not the majority mind you) look for MT cars new or used. My brother sold his BMW's and I remember him telling me that when he sold his 4 door 533i, many of the callers asked "it's not a automatic I hope". And he lives in NYC, so it was kinda amusing that people were looking the MT over the AT in a four door BMW. Also in California, alot of the used Acura/Honda's sold to the younger crowd also look for MT Civic's, Integra's, and Accords.

To the multi-tasking while driving I use the HFL, and never have any food or drink in the car (except for water!). Everyone is different but driving to me is a task best left for total attention (unless you stuck in traffic!).

Again this is good and civil debate!

I'm in the same boat as you, I have a BMW GS1200 motorcycle which is MORE fun than my TL could ever dream of being.

I saw SouthernBoy's list and he forgot to add:

Manual Transmissions will get you dinged everytime when you trade in.
The Automatic has a manual shift option so you CAN control engine speed and hold it in one gear if needed. No it doesn't shift like a MT but it can be used to control engine speeds.

Regarding the comment that a MT is "made for this car." I've never seen a 4 door sedan that was "made for a MT." Cars that are made for a MT are Corvettes, S2000's, Mustangs, BMW 3 series (2 doors), or economy cars and pickup trucks.

And the comment that a MT is MUCH less expensive to own or easier to maintain??? What are you dong to your past AT's? I've never even changed transmission oil in ANY AT I have ever owned in 20 years. I have however, had to have the MT greased. Also, if I paid $1,000 more for an AT I got it back when I resold the car. The AT holds better resale (if you are talking about 4 doors).

And those that say that you don't notice shifting???? Sit in bumper to bumper traffic or try and grab your bottle of Coca-Cola, or eat your french fries when needing to shift the car and tell me you don't notice. Man someone pass me the Kool-Aid.

I'm not denying the "fun factor" or the personal preference to own a MT. I enjoy 5-speeds as well, but it wasn't worth it to me for the hit in resale (or when trying to resale on my own), the pain in traffic, replacing the clutch when it goes out, having it greased, knocking it out of gear by accident and having it roll off to hit something, likelihood of stalling it, taking off on hills, and not being able to hold a phone/food/drink/etc in my right hand for having to shift the thing in times when I don't want to have "fun." Of course I am fortunate enough to have a 2006 BMW GS Enduro motorcycle for "Fun." Can your TL do a wheelie or go cross country? Now that is fun!

That should get em going.
Old 03-15-2007 | 09:50 AM
Drifting

I prefer manual but for practicality, the TL is my first AT car. Ive never owned an AT car since the TL.
Old 03-15-2007 | 09:55 AM
Intermediate

I have an AT and prefer an AT. I drove a 240SX stick for 10 years.... IMHO - MT is good for sports cars. AT is good for LUX cars
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:00 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Christina72
I have an AT and prefer an AT. I drove a 240SX stick for 10 years.... IMHO - MT is good for sports cars. AT is good for luxary cars
I think the TL is capable of pleasing both palates - sport and luxury. So either way someone goes with one is fine...but get a MT anyway.

LOL! (j/k)

P.S. - MT is kicking butt on the poll! As if...
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:20 AM
Instructor

Good debate and I agree with some of your comments. I also ride a motorcycle (85 Honda VF500F) and that essentially procludes me from getting a sportscar since riding beats driving any day it's sunny and warm.

In terms of the AT versus MT in ownership costs, perhaps your experience had MT ownership costing more than AT but in general averaged out over many owners MT are less expensive than AT in terms of maintenance and repairs. There are roughly 3-5X more components in a AT and the fluid pressures are high so alot can and does go wrong in operation over time. The fact that you never changed fluid ever in any vehicle means you are EXTREMELY lucky since ATF is under alot of stress in typical operation.

In the MT will get you dinged every time, that I would change to "most of the time". Alot of folks out there (not the majority mind you) look for MT cars new or used. My brother sold his BMW's and I remember him telling me that when he sold his 4 door 533i, many of the callers asked "it's not a automatic I hope". And he lives in NYC, so it was kinda amusing that people were looking the MT over the AT in a four door BMW. Also in California, alot of the used Acura/Honda's sold to the younger crowd also look for MT Civic's, Integra's, and Accords.

To the multi-tasking while driving I use the HFL, and never have any food or drink in the car (except for water!). Everyone is different but driving to me is a task best left for total attention (unless you stuck in traffic!).

Again this is good and civil debate!

i couldnt find any info on average selling value of MT and AT of the same model, but your example of your brother selling the BMW isn't a good one. so if i were sell my TL and everyone who calls ask for AT, does it mean everyone in the market looks for AT? if half my callers ask for AT, does it mean 50% of the buyers in the market are looking for AT?

there is reason that the proportion of selling AT/MT at dealerships is around 9:1, at least for Acura dealerships. i have posted the exact percentage before if you want to dig it up.
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Which is precisely the reason why I originally stated "Alot of folks out there (not the majority mind you) look for MT cars new or used.".

I never said it was to taken as a absolute but as a contrast example to the statement to the earlier statement that you always take a ding for a MT in a resale. I content that is not true for all used cars, that was the purpose of the example. You cannot deduce much from a limited sampling as to preference percentage (you'd have to apply statistical sampling variation), but you can deduce there is some interest as opposed to none at all in used vehicles with MT's.

As to the TL, Acura originally forecast in the TL technical/marketing data in hondanews.com that ~15% of the TL's would be MT. I'm not even sure that the MT TL production reached that amount since I don't see that many MT in my area (I'm one of the few). It's all about supply and demand.

Originally Posted by jimmyl729
i couldnt find any info on average selling value of MT and AT of the same model, but your example of your brother selling the BMW isn't a good one. so if i were sell my TL and everyone who calls ask for AT, does it mean everyone in the market looks for AT? if half my callers ask for AT, does it mean 50% of the buyers in the market are looking for AT?

there is reason that the proportion of selling AT/MT at dealerships is around 9:1, at least for Acura dealerships. i have posted the exact percentage before if you want to dig it up.
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:58 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Unless there has been a mass change in the last few years, it is my understanding that a AT is easier to sell and typically holds higher resale value over a MT...especially when you are in the 4-door sedan market. Once again, having a Porsche with a MT will likely HELP you to sell it...just don't see that applying to an Accord/Camry type car.
Not necessarily. A car like an MT TL can be highly coveted. To begin, there aren't that many in production. Second, you get the Brembo option. Generally, there is a particular buyer out there who is looking for this car.

I found my '04 MT NBP / Ebony with 6000 miles. If I were to sell it, I'm sure I'd have no problem getting top value for it, if not more.

I had a MT '00 Maxima Black / Gray and had no problem selling it to a dealer for book value.

By the way, I love my MT. But, this will probably be the last one I own. Next time I'll go with an AT TL with paddle shifters. As far as brakes, I love seeing my Brembos through the wheels. I could always upgrade that on an AT though!
Old 03-15-2007 | 01:19 PM
Instructor

Of course I am fortunate enough to have a 2006 BMW GS Enduro motorcycle for "Fun." Can your TL do a wheelie or go cross country? Now that is fun!

That should get em going.
Now you got me thinking... I think maybe if I have a hill and let the TL roll backwards then with the right application of parking brake I just might be able to get the front wheels off the ground. It worked with a golf cart!!!

Manual for me. I like the control.
Old 03-15-2007 | 01:43 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by HiTEC
..back to your point. When I go to sell my manual cars after a couple years of ownership, I've always had a tough time finding a buyer. My cars always have very very low miles and are in perfect condition and it's tough to find a buyer that wants a manual tranny. This is a real good point to anyone considering buying a manual tranny.
I'm a MT guy, always have been, always will be (as long as both legs work). I agree that it becomes second nature once you have been doing it for a while. My issue is that I drive 2 cars, a 03 CLS 6 MT and a 97 Honda Prelude 5MT (148k on my first clutch and still redlining ). 6th gear on the CL is where reverse is on the Prelude, there have been several times when "second nature" has led me to getting close to stuffing the car into reverse from 5th when going to shift into a 6th gear that isn't there.

In regards to resale of a MT car, it is difficult to find a buyer, but the buyers of these cars will tell you it's difficult to find the car. When you do find a buyer for a MT car, they are more likely to want to get something done before they lose their opportunity. Used automatics are a dime a dozen.
Old 03-15-2007 | 02:09 PM
Advanced

Prefer MT but bought an AT b/c i live in the city. And I regret it now! Guess I'll have to wait for an '09
Old 03-15-2007 | 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I bought my '04 manual TL on July 17, 2004 (it was built in July and sat on the lot for 2 days before I bought it). On that day, Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA was averaging 27% of their TL inventory in manual transmissions. I know that has dropped off since then.

However, in the Northern Virginia and fringe area, I suspect there is a greater market for such cars with manual transmissions than you might find in the upper Northeast, California, or similar places. Not sure why, but I imagine it has to do with teh affluence of the area along with a lot of yuppies and techies. Who knows.
Old 03-15-2007 | 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Which is precisely the reason why I originally stated "Alot of folks out there (not the majority mind you) look for MT cars new or used.".

I never said it was to taken as a absolute but as a contrast example to the statement to the earlier statement that you always take a ding for a MT in a resale. I content that is not true for all used cars, that was the purpose of the example. You cannot deduce much from a limited sampling as to preference percentage (you'd have to apply statistical sampling variation), but you can deduce there is some interest as opposed to none at all in used vehicles with MT's.

As to the TL, Acura originally forecast in the TL technical/marketing data in hondanews.com that ~15% of the TL's would be MT. I'm not even sure that the MT TL production reached that amount since I don't see that many MT in my area (I'm one of the few). It's all about supply and demand.
Yep. Fewer made means fewer for resale. Thank God for the free market system.
Old 03-15-2007 | 05:20 PM
Registered Member

There will never be closure between the battle of the Manuals vs the Automatics. Let's face it.. some people are just shiftless (heh, heh).

Seriously, I just don't see the argument for an automatic other than for towing. But then again, I'm not so biased that I can't see where there are those who just don't wish to shift for themselves. Personally, I would get so bored before long and would find myself wishing I had a manual again. But that's just me.

To those of you who are of the shiftless variety (my wife is one), please do enjoy your toy and I hope you understand that those of use who prefer to shift for ourselves also enjoy rowing the gears at our discretion.
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:01 PM
Hooksta

Originally Posted by jimmyl729

DING DING DING!!! There is the answer to the poll question right there. If Acura is producing 9-1 AT vs MT I think that answers the question as to what people prefer in a luxury mildly sporty 4-door sedan.

Had a friend once who bought in hook line in sinker for a purple 1994 Honda Civic EX. The salesman told him that purple would be the HOT color since Honda was discontinuing it for 2005. AND that this was the only one left in the Eastern United States. Poor dog paid full sticker for the "RARE" color.

I'm no genius but if the purple Civic was such a in-demand color then why did Honda discontinue it?

Most of my post was designed to stir the pot...thus my "that'll get em going" blurb at the end. I prefer driving a MT, but it is far from practical. I still stand behind my belief that a Porsche MUST be in a MT, but a 4-door luxury car does not. THUS, Acura agrees with me by producing AT's 9-1 over MT's. Maybe they can make you guys one in one of those HOT purple colors for you?
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:37 PM
Cruisin'

I like autos because i'm fat and lazy!
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:39 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by black label
In regards to resale of a MT car, it is difficult to find a buyer, but the buyers of these cars will tell you it's difficult to find the car. When you do find a buyer for a MT car, they are more likely to want to get something done before they lose their opportunity. Used automatics are a dime a dozen.
Yes! That is exactly what I was going to add to this when I got home today! When you want a manual it is hard to find! That is a byproduct of production limitations, but it also is a fact that people want to hold on to them! I bought the last NBP/Ebony one on the lot for the 06 model year! Someone was just coming to get it when I did! Think if they read this thread they would agree with me?

Originally Posted by Legend2TLI'm not even sure that the MT TL production reached that amount since I don't see that many MT in my area (I'm one of the few).
And who else is in that area big guy? Ya know it! Your's truly! We represent I270 extended!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoySeriously, I just don't see the argument for an automatic other than for towing.
Classic! Nuff said!!

Originally Posted by HookstaMost of my post was designed to stir the pot...thus my "that'll get em going" blurb at the end. I prefer driving a MT, but it is far from practical. I still stand behind my belief that a Porsche MUST be in a MT, but a 4-door luxury car does not. THUS, Acura agrees with me by producing AT's 9-1 over MT's. Maybe they can make you guys one in one of those HOT purple colors for you?

Haha...I caught that when I responded to your first post! As for your AT 9-1 numbers? Forgeddaboutit!! The only numbers in this poll/thread that matter are the numbers in the upper right-hand corner...the poll results! So far, at the time I typed this, that "AT" you keep talking about is getting crushed by the MT 80-45! THAT, Hooksta, means the people have spoken! And what are they yelling???:

MT! MT! MT! MT! MT!

Now get ME some Kool-aid! LOL!
Old 03-15-2007 | 06:58 PM
Hooksta

Yes! That is exactly what I was going to add to this when I got home today! When you want a manual it is hard to find! That is a byproduct of production limitations, but it also is a fact that people want to hold on to them! I bought the last NBP/Ebony one on the lot for the 06 model year! Someone was just coming to get it when I did! Think if they read this thread they would agree with me?

And who else is in that area big guy? Ya know it! Your's truly! We represent I270 extended!

Classic! Nuff said!!

Haha...I caught that when I responded to your first post! As for your AT 9-1 numbers? Forgeddaboutit!! The only numbers in this poll/thread that matter are the numbers in the upper right-hand corner...the poll results! So far, at the time I typed this, that "AT" you keep talking about is getting crushed by the MT 80-45! THAT, Hooksta, means the people have spoken! And what are they yelling???:

MT! MT! MT! MT! MT!

Now get ME some Kool-aid! LOL!

What flavor you having?

Here's my MT!

Old 03-15-2007 | 07:09 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

What flavor you having?

Here's my MT!

I likes!!!

That thing is making me wanna go sign some documentation!! This guy that works with me has this Suzuki or whatever that's supposed to be the fastest out there. I try to go the other way when I see it, but it's calling me!! LOL!

Looking good playa!
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Hooksta has mentioned that the TL does not "need" a manual whereas a Porcshe does. At first glance, that may seem like a valid point until one realizes that the TL is not a luxury car. It is classed as a Luxury Performance Sedan. Yes I know, the word "luxury" appears in that title. But so does "performance".

Any car company that wishes one of their models to be seriously considered for this particular genre knows that they will be playing with some pretty heady stuff. BMW's, G35's, IS350's. Acura could just as easily stayed with what they had been producing in the 2G versions but for 2004, they decided to up the anti and play in a more serious sandbox. While a front driver of this type enters with a detriment, the TL has been accepted as a real contender in this class.

One of the hallmarks of this group of driving machines is the offering of a manual transmission (wake up Lexus). And glory be, even the General, as in Pontiac, has finally seen the light and is planning to offer their new G8 with a 6MT and a small block V8 at 362 HP. Guess which buyers they're going after with that one?

Like Hooksta, I also believe that there are a few cars which should never see the slush of an automatic. Ford has done this. Chevy has done it. Even Cadillac has done it. Names like Porsche and Corvette and SVT and CTS-V and a handful of others belong in the manual bucket. I do like the fact that performance sedans offer both (at least some of them). In that way, the buyer who wants (or needs) a sedan does not have to give up the driver's side of his car love.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Nice looking bike. Just be careful on that puppy. Our department (less than 100 people) had two bikers involved in serious accidents last year. The lady has permanent brain damage and the guy suffered a number of broken bones and backbone damage.

Just be carerful.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:17 PM
Hooksta

I likes!!!

That thing is making me wanna go sign some documentation!! This guy that works with me has this Suzuki or whatever that's supposed to be the fastest out there. I try to go the other way when I see it, but it's calling me!! LOL!

Looking good playa!
Thanks!

If you like sport bikes...such as the Ninja type, anything larger than a 600 will give you all you want. Regarding all the claims about "the fastest bike out there," I dare to say the rider makes way more the difference. Bikes are much different than cars in this aspect. Also depends on setup etc.

My bike is certainly not the fastest thing out there, but I have seen good riders with bikes like mine run past bikes that should be much faster. Buy what you like and if you are not experienced taking a riding course. You can really get hurt on bikes. Notice I am wearing my gear in the photo. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).

Whatever you decide, be smart about it. Once you get used to the power and torque that only a bike can provide you'll understand why all this AT vs MT talk for a 4-door car doesn't really mean all that much.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:22 PM
Hooksta

Hooksta has mentioned that the TL does not "need" a manual whereas a Porcshe does. At first glance, that may seem like a valid point until one realizes that the TL is not a luxury car. It is classed as a Luxury Performance Sedan. Yes I know, the word "luxury" appears in that title. But so does "performance".
My only friendly counter point to your post is that the TL is a front wheel drive. It is very hard to be taken seriously as a "true" sports car when you are in a FWD. My

Still agree that the TL is a great car, and I am sure a blast in a MT.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:28 PM
Hooksta

Nice looking bike. Just be careful on that puppy. Our department (less than 100 people) had two bikers involved in serious accidents last year. The lady has permanent brain damage and the guy suffered a number of broken bones and backbone damage.

Just be carerful.
Very good advice indeed. No one is ever truly safe, but if you want check out this link. This is my very first day on a bike at age 4. At age 36, I have been riding for 32 years now. But everyone's number can come up...other drivers (cagers) are usually what get you hurt.

Here is the you tube video link:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nt=AVSEQ02.flv

And success at age 7...my first motorcross race! Sorry about the 70's helmet hair.
Old 03-15-2007 | 07:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Cool lil Daredevil! Fell down, got right back up again!

I hope that's the extent of any fall you might have now man! Have fun!
Old 03-15-2007 | 08:25 PM
Pro

I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time. So my choice is pretty limited
Old 03-15-2007 | 08:45 PM
RAR

I prefer MT when its a wide open road and I can enjoy it
I prefer AT when there's heavy traffic.
I prefer MT when it keeps others from driving my baby whom I dont want to
I prefer AT when it allows others to drive when I need them to
I prefer AT when it comes time to sell my car
I prefer AT when my hands are occupied and I cant easily shift
I prefer AT when it doesnt add to the number of distractions I need to deal with.
I prefer MT when it leads to better mileage
I prefer MT when it leads to better performance.
Old 03-15-2007 | 08:51 PM
Registered Member

My only friendly counter point to your post is that the TL is a front wheel drive. It is very hard to be taken seriously as a "true" sports car when you are in a FWD. My

Still agree that the TL is a great car, and I am sure a blast in a MT.
Yeah, I made reference to front wheel drive as being a detriment. Since I own two 3G TL's (the wife's is an '05 automatic), I can vouche for the distinct difference in handling characteristics between the manual and the automatic TL.

As for FWD and handling, I think Ford had the best handling FWD sedan I've experienced.. the 2000 SVT Contour. Darned thing would do a .92g 200 foot skid pad in street trim. Not to shabby.

Since my first love in auto sports is drag racing, FWD just don't get it. We all know that FWD has very poor traction and with drag racing, you need weight transfer.

However, the manual TL is a superb handling FWD performance sedan, I have to say. Perhaps the best currently offered.
Old 03-15-2007 | 11:42 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
I prefer MT when its a wide open road and I can enjoy it
I prefer AT when there's heavy traffic.
I prefer MT when it keeps others from driving my baby whom I dont want to
I prefer AT when it allows others to drive when I need them to
I prefer AT when it comes time to sell my car
I prefer AT when my hands are occupied and I cant easily shift
I prefer AT when it doesnt add to the number of distractions I need to deal with.
I prefer MT when it leads to better mileage
I prefer MT when it leads to better performance.
LOL! WTF?? That's like she loves me, she loves me not Leedogg!

Quick Reply: Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?