3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer MT or AT and Why?
Manual Tranny
59.32%
Automatic Tranny
40.68%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:13 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?

1) MT
2) AT

Just a friendly poll to show member interest on a much debated topic. Which do you drive or prefer and why? You may say why you prefer one or the other, but please don't challenge why someone else says their preference. Emphasis on FRIENDLY! LOL!

I will start it off:

I prefer MT and I have MT!

Reason: I like the feeling of being more in control of the over-all driving experience! It's fun, and I enjoy it! Auto is too "plug and play" for me!

This was done at someone else's request, so let's show this poll some love and vote!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love a MT. however I drive an AT so that the wifey can drive the car the one day a week her ride needs gas. I whipped marriage is a long marriage? LOL
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Hardtimes
i love a MT. however I drive an AT so that the wifey can drive the car the one day a week her ride needs gas. I whipped marriage is a long marriage? LOL
LOL, I'm still practicing being humble. But yes, I believe you're right!

Maybe...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i prefer MT but... i go to school in downtown....

traffic jam + MT = SCREWED
Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I voted MT, but drive an AT. I have nerve damaged in my left leg.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When im driving in traffic (80% of the time in LA) i prefer AT. The other 20% of the time i prefer MT.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
i love a MT. however I drive an AT so that the wifey can drive the car...
+1
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Hooksta

I prefer MT in sports cars. And although the TL is moderately sporty, I prefer an automatic for traffic, fast food, cell phones, pushing Navigation buttons, etc.

I respect those who like the MT...they are fun, but I do not consider it a necessity in a car like the TL. Now if this was a 350Z, Mustang GT, Corvette, S2000, Supra, etc, I would have purchased it with a MT.

Unless there has been a mass change in the last few years, it is my understanding that a AT is easier to sell and typically holds higher resale value over a MT...especially when you are in the 4-door sedan market. Once again, having a Porsche with a MT will likely HELP you to sell it...just don't see that applying to an Accord/Camry type car.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

MT.

Wife actually encouraged me to get an MT. I test drove both AT and MT before making the purchase. MT is much better.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i prefer mt- traffic or no traffic.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
MT all the way, baby! It's all about the fun factor and this car has it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I have an AT

I like AT's in that you don't have to think about driving. However, I learned to drive on a manual and I love the control that you have on the car and the driving experience. I yearn for a manual but am thankful I have an AT in stop and go traffic.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive MT but understand why people drive AT.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

I bought an AT although I prefer a MT. My truck is a MT and it gets old after awhile (stop and go driving), it’s nice to have a change once in awhile. I also have a gsxr 1000 that is much faster, handles better and has a manual tranny, so I use that for my speed fetish. I expect the TL to be quick not fast and I don’t need a MT for that.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer AT, and honestly, it'll probably stay that way because the itch to drive MT just isn't there. Its like those that like their computers stock... My car is stock too, and I prefer it that way... Boring to some, fun for me.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Registered P.I.M.P

My first car was a MT. Then went to AT... it was just easier and less to really think about. In todays cars there are enough distractions as well.

MT was fun while it lasted. Now I just want an easy comfortable ride to where I'm going.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Racer

The only reason i got the TL was because it came in manual. Over time, i've come to absolutely love this thing! I learned how to drive stick with this car and to be 100% honest, i don't even think about the stick when i'm driving. I guess you can say it's become "second nature?"
Old 03-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I just use auto mode most of the time and SS/manual mode when feeling like driving briskly, track days, or like a mental case with no concern of fuel prices!

The beauty of Tiptronic
Old 03-14-2007, 01:38 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Midnight_TL
...to be 100% honest, i don't even think about the stick when i'm driving. I guess you can say it's become "second nature?"
My sentiments exactly. My arm and left foot just move on their own! LOL!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
First off, I have a VERY strong bias in favor of manual transmissions. Every car I've ever owned for my personal driving machine, with the exception of one, has had a manual transmission. That said, reasons;

o Fun factor.
o Better control over engine speeds and drive train use.
o Fun factor.
o Absolute and direct connection between engine and drive wheels.
o Fun factor.
o Increased throttle response (result of previous reason).
o Fun factor.
o MUCH less expensive to own and operate.
o Last far longer.
o Easier maintenance.
o Basically nothing to go wrong.
o Looks better (the shifter and its surrounds).
o Seems to be meant for this car.
o Fun factor.

Oh, did I mention the fun factor? Let me just say this. If the TL had not been offered with a manual transmission, I would be driving something else.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by alvonchui
MT.

Wife actually encouraged me to get an MT. I test drove both AT and MT before making the purchase. MT is much better.
Same here. She can't even drive an MT either. I won't say that MT is much better, it's just more to my liking.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Racer

prefer AT, didnt want to take trade in hit when i sell my car after payments are done
Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Instructor

I have always preferred MT and just loved the one in my S2000 but after we lost that car in a garage fire and were test driving TL's, my wife insisted on the AT. I thought, OK, we can both have what we want: she can put it in "D" and I can shift it manually. But it is just not the same, not even close to a real MT, so I usually just put it in D also. So I have to exercise my right arm in the MG and the Austin Healey. Marriage brings some acceptable compromises.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Oh, did I mention the fun factor? Let me just say this. If the TL had not been offered with a manual transmission, I would be driving something else.
I second that. I've never owned a car with an automatic, and I hope never to have to do so. Having an MT in traffic doesn't bother me at all since it's my RIGHT leg that starts to cramp from having to keep it on the brake so much!

The GF also has an MT in her RSX Type-S, and she had one in her previous car too (an RX-7 that I bought from her when she got the RSX).
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Buda
I have an AT

I like AT's in that you don't have to think about driving. However, I learned to drive on a manual and I love the control that you have on the car and the driving experience. I yearn for a manual but am thankful I have an AT in stop and go traffic.
I gotta tell you.....once you have driven a MT all the time you never have to "think" about it. It all comes naturally. I have driven MTs for the past 25 years with the exception of one car. I wouldn't drive anything else. When I am behind the wheel of an AT now, that's when I have to think about NOT using my clutch foot....lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drove both AT and MT but wanted MT from the get go. Great option for this car. So I got it, for all the reasons SouthernBoy previously stated. My wife knows how to drive an MT and it's a fun switch from driving an AT.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:20 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

MT is nice. Probably would've gotten an auto if the 04-06 autos had more control, the SS is not to my liking. I hear the new ones are better though...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsong83
prefer AT, didnt want to take trade in hit when i sell my car after payments are done
That is a good point. I've been driving manual since I was 16, and is my preferred transmission. I don't even think about it when I'm in traffic (it's second nature). On the Acura is was nice to get the few added upgrades over the auto like the brembo's and the lsd.

..back to your point. When I go to sell my manual cars after a couple years of ownership, I've always had a tough time finding a buyer. My cars always have very very low miles and are in perfect condition and it's tough to find a buyer that wants a manual tranny. This is a real good point to anyone considering buying a manual tranny.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
A-SPEC

AT is much much more convenient.
But when you drive MT car, you feel the car like it's part of you. Every gear!
My previous cars were S2000, A41.8T all MT. couldn't take the traffic in NYC anymore..
Old 03-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Hooksta

Originally Posted by cbbutlercm
I bought an AT although I prefer a MT. My truck is a MT and it gets old after awhile (stop and go driving), it’s nice to have a change once in awhile. I also have a gsxr 1000 that is much faster, handles better and has a manual tranny, so I use that for my speed fetish. I expect the TL to be quick not fast and I don’t need a MT for that.
I'm in the same boat as you, I have a BMW GS1200 motorcycle which is MORE fun than my TL could ever dream of being.

I saw SouthernBoy's list and he forgot to add:

Manual Transmissions will get you dinged everytime when you trade in.
The Automatic has a manual shift option so you CAN control engine speed and hold it in one gear if needed. No it doesn't shift like a MT but it can be used to control engine speeds.

Regarding the comment that a MT is "made for this car." I've never seen a 4 door sedan that was "made for a MT." Cars that are made for a MT are Corvettes, S2000's, Mustangs, BMW 3 series (2 doors), or economy cars and pickup trucks.

And the comment that a MT is MUCH less expensive to own or easier to maintain??? What are you dong to your past AT's? I've never even changed transmission oil in ANY AT I have ever owned in 20 years. I have however, had to have the MT greased. Also, if I paid $1,000 more for an AT I got it back when I resold the car. The AT holds better resale (if you are talking about 4 doors).

And those that say that you don't notice shifting???? Sit in bumper to bumper traffic or try and grab your bottle of Coca-Cola, or eat your french fries when needing to shift the car and tell me you don't notice. Man someone pass me the Kool-Aid.

I'm not denying the "fun factor" or the personal preference to own a MT. I enjoy 5-speeds as well, but it wasn't worth it to me for the hit in resale (or when trying to resale on my own), the pain in traffic, replacing the clutch when it goes out, having it greased, knocking it out of gear by accident and having it roll off to hit something, likelihood of stalling it, taking off on hills, and not being able to hold a phone/food/drink/etc in my right hand for having to shift the thing in times when I don't want to have "fun." Of course I am fortunate enough to have a 2006 BMW GS Enduro motorcycle for "Fun." Can your TL do a wheelie or go cross country? Now that is fun!

That should get em going.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here. All my cars before I got married were MT. But now they've been all AT.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Racer

A manual TL would be a thrill….…and I miss it, all my previous cars were manual… ..but living in NJ and a long commute in stop and go traffic…..I opted for the automatic this time
Old 03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,108 Likes on 2,552 Posts
Agreed
SouthernBoy, I'm all but convinced our DNA crossed paths somewhere in our genealogy lines.

Oh and count me also in for MT!
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
First off, I have a VERY strong bias in favor of manual transmissions. Every car I've ever owned for my personal driving machine, with the exception of one, has had a manual transmission. That said, reasons;

o Fun factor.
o Better control over engine speeds and drive train use.
o Fun factor.
o Absolute and direct connection between engine and drive wheels.
o Fun factor.
o Increased throttle response (result of previous reason).
o Fun factor.
o MUCH less expensive to own and operate.
o Last far longer.
o Easier maintenance.
o Basically nothing to go wrong.
o Looks better (the shifter and its surrounds).
o Seems to be meant for this car.
o Fun factor.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Have an MT and vote MT... My truck and wifes van are both AT's..... Also, my wife can drive MT so it didn't matter to her what I got..... She likes the idea of being able to drive an MT every once in a blue moon when she has to take the TL somewhere, although it is not very often..
Old 03-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Racer

I like MT and I drive it, but I would reconsider if there is an SMG option on TL.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Prefer MT, but own AT

I prefer MT, but own an AT. Wifey doesn't drive MT, and I said yes...what can I say? One thing is for sure, when I'm ready for a new car it will be MT!!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mishar
I like MT and I drive it, but I would reconsider if there is an SMG option on TL.
I agree... I might consider if Acura did a sequential manual tranny.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Hooksta
I'm in the same boat as you, I have a BMW GS1200 motorcycle which is MORE fun than my TL could ever dream of being.

The Automatic has a manual shift option so you CAN control engine speed and hold it in one gear if needed. No it doesn't shift like a MT but it can be used to control engine speeds.

Regarding the comment that a MT is "made for this car." I've never seen a 4 door sedan that was "made for a MT." Cars that are made for a MT are Corvettes, S2000's, Mustangs, BMW 3 series (2 doors), or economy cars and pickup trucks.

And the comment that a MT is MUCH less expensive to own or easier to maintain??? What are you dong to your past AT's? I've never even changed transmission oil in ANY AT I have ever owned in 20 years. I have however, had to have the MT greased. Also, if I paid $1,000 more for an AT I got it back when I resold the car. The AT holds better resale (if you are talking about 4 doors).

And those that say that you don't notice shifting???? Sit in bumper to bumper traffic or try and grab your bottle of Coca-Cola, or eat your french fries when needing to shift the car and tell me you don't notice. Man someone pass me the Kool-Aid.

I'm not denying the "fun factor" or the personal preference to own a MT. I enjoy 5-speeds as well, but it wasn't worth it to me for the hit in resale (or when trying to resale on my own), the pain in traffic, replacing the clutch when it goes out, having it greased, knocking it out of gear by accident and having it roll off to hit something, likelihood of stalling it, taking off on hills, and not being able to hold a phone/food/drink/etc in my right hand for having to shift the thing in times when I don't want to have "fun." Of course I am fortunate enough to have a 2006 BMW GS Enduro motorcycle for "Fun." Can your TL do a wheelie or go cross country? Now that is fun!

Can my TL do a wheelie? LOL! Imma leave that one alone, but I'm going to get some fries in a few so I'll let you know how that turned out!

As for the stop and go traffic, it makes no difference to me if it's a manual car or automatic...I'm still stuck in traffic!! I hate that! But the fact that I drive an MT causes me no problem with traffic. NONE! Shifting isn't laborious to me, and it doesn't get monotonous. Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, if anything, it gives my ass something to do to keep me alert becuz that traffic can make you sleepy after a long day! You fall asleep in stop and go in an MT, and you get woken up abruptly by your engine choking out! You fall asleep in the same traffic in an AT, and yo ass gets woken up by the guy that was in front of you choking yo ass out becuz you just dented his bumper! LOL!

Yeah, I can't do what your motorcycle can do, but you know damn well the AT and the MT driving experience is not the same! And hell to the naw to those damn crappy paddles!! That shit is weak! Gimme the real, so I can feel and later with that fake wanna be shifting! You know that shit is an "alternative"! Hahahahaha!

Side note, I plan to get a bike one day. Hopefully I talk myself out of it becuz I'm too crazy for one of them damn things! I just finished eating people up making rush hour fun before I got here! I would've treated traffic like a Ginsu blade playa if I was riding on 2!!!! So rev on, but be safe man! I like seeing that cat box Hooksta! LOL!

Later!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooksta

Well let's see.. I hardly know where to start. Clearly you and I are of somewhat differing opinions here and since our opposing views hurt no one, that's just fine with me.

As for a manual transmission carrying a higher cost at trade in than an automatic, two things come into play here: the market (area) in which you are unloading your car, and the type of car it is. For example, I would expect a manual Mustang or a BMW to fetch a nice trade or sale amount. Market area and car type are very important.

As for pretend-a-shift automatics.. they are not in the same league as the real thing, so I fail to see any valid comparison there.

"I've never seen a 4 door sedan that was "made for a MT". Wow.. tell that one to BMW or Ford's SVT group. Wouldn't they be surprised.

"What are you dong to your past AT's". Nothing. I have only ever owned one.. a 1983 Toyota Cressida. And its transmission went out at around 118,000 miles. Cost me $1,400 to have it fixed.

No one is allowed to eat in my car.. except the wife and I VERY carefully when traveling on vacation. Don't allow smoking either.. or heavy perfume, or smelly hand cream.

I've never replaced a clutch for something due to my operation (had an oil seal go on my first car that destroyed the clutch). I expect that if I keep my TL past, say, 300,000 miles, then I might be getting in the area where a clutch may have to be replaced at some point. But seeing as though that would be a long way off, a clutch replacement is not in the cards for me. I don't have any problems starting off on hills or knocking my car out of gear or any of the other things you mentioned.

But still, I certainly do respect your opinion and hope you do mine, sir.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Hooksta

Two great posts in my opinion...no problems here!

Quick Reply: Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?