Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police & FBI looking for a black TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elkayem
Couldn't they have tracked him down by his Sat NAV?
First, for that to even hypothetically work you would have to know who’s car it was, which they didn’t, and then the technology would have to exist to do such a thing (I am sure it does but no one would ever admit that it does). Second, in the United States such tracking system would be illegal even under the blatant-violation-of-our-civil-rights patriot act.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fish008
First, for that to even hypothetically work you would have to know who’s car it was, which they didn’t, and then the technology would have to exist to do such a thing (I am sure it does but no one would ever admit that it does). Second, in the United States such tracking system would be illegal even under the blatant-violation-of-our-civil-rights patriot act.
Well, the technology definitely exists to track GPS installed devices. They do it at my job - SHHH!!! - and the ubiquitous Lo-Jack is probably your easiest example of it. I don't think it's far-fetched at all. Probably just has to be tweaked a little in production.

But yeah, I do agree that at first they must know whose car it is.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by elkayem
Couldn't they have tracked him down by his Sat NAV?
I saw on the news that his dealership pointed the police to the right direction. They also said that he missed some car payments.

Its funny, that they called the type -s rim " spider web wheels".....lol
Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
hahaha
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonywp75
I saw on the news that his dealership pointed the police to the right direction. They also said that he missed some car payments.
Possible conversation between dealer and thief prior to robbery:

Thief: Do you guys think that you can give me some time with making up these car payments?

Dealer/Finance: Sorry sir, but we run a tight ship here!

Thief: But, I'm really struggling and times are so hard right now...

Dealer/Finance: Look! If we let you go, we have to let everyone go! Now we want that money and we want it now!

Thief: Jesus Christ! Have you no shame? What would you have me do? Rob a bank?

Dealer/Finance: I really don't give a shit! Just get out there and get me my money!! Or that Type-S will look real good when we "back that thing up" to it! Hahahahahaha!

Thief: (walking away in deep thought) I can't go out like that, I gotta do something...but what?...Eureka!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Possible conversation between dealer and thief prior to robbery:

Thief: Do you guys think that you can give me some time with making up these car payments?

Dealer/Finance: Sorry sir, but we run a tight ship here!

Thief: But, I'm really struggling and times are so hard right now...

Dealer/Finance: Look! If we let you go, we have to let everyone go! Now we want that money and we want it now!

Thief: Jesus Christ! Have you no shame? What would you have me do? Rob a bank?

Dealer/Finance: I really don't give a shit! Just get out there and get me my money!! Or that Type-S will look real good when we "back that thing up" to it! Hahahahahaha!

Thief: (walking away in deep thought) I can't go out like that, I gotta do something...but what?...Eureka!

That's effed up man... effed up but funny!!!

That guy didn't live to far from me... I'm gonna try and find out what's gonna happen to that car. I know a couple cops....
Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Pro

May have been posted already (I haven't checked back in on this thread since page 1)...but here's a full story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21161242/

"Authorities had spent Friday fielding tips about the suspect and his getaway car, an Acura TL Type-S. Police towed a car from the apartment complex where they made the arrest Friday afternoon."

There's a link to a video on the site (it basically just shows the car being towed)...not sure if this will link properly, but here ya go!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Pro

Thought this was interesting given our previous discussion.

DETROIT (AP) -- In a year, some General Motors cars and trucks could have a new anti-theft device that brings stolen vehicles to a stop. GM says it will offer the protection through its OnStar service on about 20 models for the 2009 model year that begins next fall. Police will be able to have OnStar slowly halt a car that has been reported stolen. GM is still exploring the possibility of having the car give a recorded verbal warning before it stops moving.
OnStar already finds 700 to 800 cars per month using the global positioning system.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved

Darksom was obviously right about Lo-Jack, they have had the technology to track stolen cars for some time now. The issue with all of these services is that you need to know whose car it is and they need to report it stolen before they can active it. Again they should not be tracking vehicles every move unless it is requested by the owner (I have seen such programs for parents of teen drivers) or unless required by some part of law enforcement.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM
MRP in O-H-I-O

I'm not sure how LoJack operates, but don't forget that OnStar is basically a cell phone imbedded in your car. It is NOT a GPS based system (although it sometimes it uses GPS to know where it is). If OnStar is able to shut-down a stolen car, they are doing it by sending that signal to your car over a cell-phone signal, not GPS.

Remember that GPS is a passive technology. All a GPS receiver can do is listen, not transmit. So, I'm not sure how you would "track" one.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RXSTL
I'm not sure how LoJack operates, but don't forget that OnStar is basically a cell phone imbedded in your car. It is NOT a GPS based system (although it sometimes it uses GPS to know where it is). If OnStar is able to shut-down a stolen car, they are doing it by sending that signal to your car over a cell-phone signal, not GPS.

Remember that GPS is a passive technology. All a GPS receiver can do is listen, not transmit. So, I'm not sure how you would "track" one.
Here are two other longer, more detailed stories as to the workings of this program:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/08/auto...tech/index.htm
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300462,00.html

I think that the CNN story is better.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:24 PM
black on black 04 TL 6MT

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
And if an automatic (5AT), he may be in the service dept.......

Just kidding...
GOOD ONE!
Old 10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
imagine if it had RJ wheels, and got on camera, that would be nuts. Condolenses to the guards fams.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Unhappy Update

The 2007 killings of two Loomis armored van guards was captured by a bank security video, but the gunman's image was not identifiable.

Nor was defendant Mustafa Ali identifiable from two other security videos: one showing someone stalking the Loomis guards Oct. 4, 2007, at an earlier stop at a Northeast credit union, and another showing the killer driving away after the shootings.

The car was another matter.

That night, as she watched the 11 o'clock news, Susan D. Reardon saw the video of the car and a description of the gunman. She called police.

"It was pretty much a reflex decision," Reardon told a Philadelphia jury yesterday. "There were just too many coincidences."

Reardon said she had been unemployed a month, laid off as business manager at Davis Acura on Route 1 in Langhorne, just north of Philadelphia in Bucks County.

But business downturns do not erase more than 20 years of auto retail experience, and Reardon remembered that car: "It was an Acura TL Type S, the highest TL package you could buy, with all the bells and whistles."

More important, Reardon testified, she remembered the buyer. As business manager, she told Assistant District Attorney Michael Barry, she had to approve financing. She said she had looked at Ali's credit report and hesitated about giving an OK, which promptly put her at odds with sales staff eager to close the deal.

Reardon said she had told police they should contact Davis Acura if they wanted to learn the identity of the TL's owner.

Reardon's tip quickly led police to Ali, who lived in a Woodhaven Road apartment complex in the Far Northeast, not far from the site of the shooting at the Wachovia bank at Bustleton and Bleigh Avenues at Roosevelt Mall.

Ali, 38, is charged with two murders and one count of attempted murder in the robbery of the Loomis crew as it serviced an outdoor ATM at the Wachovia branch.

Killed were guards Joseph Alullo, 54, of Levittown, and William Widmaier, 65, of Fairless Hills, both former Philadelphia police officers. Loomis driver Joseph Walczak, 72, of Frankford, was cut by flying glass when a bullet struck the van's bulletproof windshield.

Reardon was among seven witnesses who testified before the Common Pleas Court jury in the third day of the prosecution's death-penalty case against Ali.

Her testimony was a cautionary tale for those considering a life of crime: Not one of a half-dozen witnesses to the shooting has been able to identify Ali as the gunman; those who saw the car did not forget it.

On Tuesday, Police Sgt. Joseph Mears, a car buff, testified about how he had been asked to view security video of the gunman driving from the scene - available minutes after the shootings.

Mears testified that the distinctive orange-and-red taillights, sharkfin rooftop antenna, wheel rims, and black-on-black styling were immediately identifiable as a top-of-the-line 2007 Acura TL Type S. The detailed description and stock photos were quickly flashed to police.

Mears told the jury that his skill was based on experience: "As a police officer, 75 percent of the vehicles you encounter you view from behind."
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
wow i just read this whole tread. i cant believe this happen. thats one hell of an update for 3 yrs later.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
B A N N E D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crazy. Can't believe a TL owner is making us look bad.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69
Mears testified that the distinctive orange-and-red taillights, sharkfin rooftop antenna, wheel rims, and black-on-black styling were immediately identifiable as a top-of-the-line 2007 Acura TL Type S.
?? That's not a UA7 Type-S that I'm used to seeing, at least one that isn't modded. Just thinking out loud...