3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 07 TL-S 6MT tomorrow!! *UPDATE** I bought it!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JwongTLS
Take southernboy's advice. Those are good tips for diving a MT car.

When u take off from 1st, u want to like double tap the gas and as u tap it the 2nd time slowly realease the clutch. That way u dont ride the clutch that bad. As for downshifting, I think the easiest way is to double clutch. That way u dont ride the clutch as well.

Should watch some youtube vids
alright I will give youtube a shot.

one more thing. I was playing with the NAVI and they have this thing called messages.

then it freaked me out saying my airbags don't work because of a low wattage and my traction control doesn't work because of some wattage thing too.

What's up with these messages? Do I really need to take it to the dealer?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those message could be old from the previous owner. For example u might get a gas cap message saying its not tight when it really is. That's a common problem.

You can delete them unless they recently popped up then u might want to see whats going on with that.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JwongTLS
Those message could be old from the previous owner. For example u might get a gas cap message saying its not tight when it really is. That's a common problem.

You can delete them unless they recently popped up then u might want to see whats going on with that.

it just popped up yesterday when I picked it up. I haven't had a full day to play with everything and I"ll probably do that tomorrow. Will see what's up about that but I wasn't sure if that stuff was legit since it didn't pop up. I was just digging around and found it.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
alright I will give youtube a shot.

one more thing. I was playing with the NAVI and they have this thing called messages.

then it freaked me out saying my airbags don't work because of a low wattage and my traction control doesn't work because of some wattage thing too.

What's up with these messages? Do I really need to take it to the dealer?

I have had the airbag and traction control messages before. It means the cars battery is low or was low at some point in time.

Happened to me when I had my windows tinted and the guy left on my interior lights for a few hours. Had to hook my car up to a machine to charge the battery. Then when I drove off the airbag and traction control message popped up.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
The car should be fine after a long drive. At least thats how it was for me. Haven't seen those messages since.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 AM
2008 Acura TL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyatkayak
I need a lot of help on knowing how to drive it the right way because I don't. I only enough to get the car to point A to point B.

So far, I need to learn how to get out of first here without having to rev it higher and then feeling the car wanting to move but still holding the clutch until i slowly release it. It's not smooth.

I also don't know how to downshift correctly or at all. for example: i'm on six gear and then the light turns red and what do I do because if i just hit the brakes, it's harder.

I just need to learn how not to ride it. oh mannnn... so much to learn.
LOL! Don't sweat it man. I've been driving manuals for 20 years and I'm still refining my technique.

In the beginning, there's just no substitute for getting out driving. Don't worry about any advanced techniques yet.

Remember that any time the clutch pedal is anywhere between fully depressed or fully disengaged, you are putting wear on the clutch - so you want to minimize that "in-between" time as much as possible. And like Southernboy said, if you're sitting for more than a couple of seconds at a stop, kick it into neutral and take your foot off the clutch pedal to minimize wear on the hydro/mechanical components of the system.

Launching in first: get a feel for the engagement point of the clutch. As you're letting out the clutch, you should be feathering on the throttle. There's a balance to be found with engine rpm, throttle position, and the rate you are letting out the clutch - the only way to figure that out is to practice.

When you are downshifting (i.e. 4 to 3 or 6 to 5...) remember that the engine is going to be at a higher rpm in the lower gear, therefore you need to apply more throttle. This is called rev-matching. There are all kinds of advanced techniques to do this smoothly (heel and toeing, double clutching, etc...), but don't worry about that yet. Again it's about finding that balance point between rpms, speed, throttle position, and clutch engagement - the only way to figure that out is to practice.

Bottom line: get out and DRIVE!! Accept the fact that you are going to be a little clumsy with it for a month or two. Just be patient with yourself and before you know it you'll have the hang of it.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Do those messages come from the Nav or from the MID? Both of my 3G TL's have Nav and I don't recall ever seeing anything about this. But this is so much to learn about this car, anyway.