3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my New TL after a lot of ups and downs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up my New TL after a lot of ups and downs.

I thought I was going to have to wait until late December to get the colors I wanted. And then the salesperson calls yesterday to tell me that a new A/E Navi just came in, and it's got my name all over it. We spend a couple hours working out the insurance, turn in of the CL-S, and Credit App and other info.

All this gets squared away. I decided to get a lip spoiler, but it would not be in until next week. No Biggie. Then the salesperson calls to say there is a problem. The car is marked for "Dealer Demo" only. Mandated by Honda/Acura, and that they cannot sell it to me or anyone else. I go ballistic, and make a couple of phone calls. One call went to the best dealer on the east coast. They've never heard of such a thing. "The dealer decides on what is or is not a Demo car, as they come in." The Salesperson says she has to talked to the owner to find out what are the ramifications if they go ahead and sell it to me anyway. I mean it's either this car, or I have to wait until at least the end of November, or December. Depending on Marysville's paint schedules and Navi builds and such.

She calls me a couple hours later and says, there is no way they can sell the car. That it is something new, Acura is doing with the 04 MDX and 04 TL. They get these "for demo only" cars and are not allowed to sell them for 6 months. She even faxes me a letter from HQ that states these things, as well as penalties if the vehicle is sold to anyone, not even an employee of the dealership. Basically they can get fined, but more importantly they can loose allocation, and no one wants to have their 04 TL pool cut in half for a few months. Just to sell one car.

The only other Navi they had was a SatSilv/Ebo. I test drove it, and it was currently being used by the owner of this 5-brand dealership. It had 350 miles on it when I test-drove it last week.

She calls me back in the evening, and says "I know your last choice was SatSilv/Ebo again like your CL-S. But what if we made you a deal?" I said it would have to be the hella deal. She hung up and called back a little while later. They could sell me the "owner driven" SatSilv/Ebo and Navi. With the lip spoiler, for less out of pocket, and $30 less a month than the original deal. I thought well... I can wait 30-60 maybe 90 days for one of my first 2 color combos, or get a damn nice deal on the same color combo as my CL-S. Yes it's got miles on it. But based on the way the throttle response, shift points, and just general feel and reaction the car is giving to my input. It has be driven pretty gingerly. I mean this car was not very responsive at all. The shifts were virtually undetectable; the throttle needed some serious “tip in” before the car got going. This is an ECU that's learned to be gentle. So I wasn't worried about the car getting ragged on, or the break in period (which I take very seriously) being compromised. So I made the deal.

Now, I'm no moron! Actually I’m a pretty sharp egg, plus I have a background in BS detection, as well as judging human body language and mannerisms. I'm not sure I buy the "Demo only" thing regarding the Anthra/Ebony Navi that showed up at their doorstep, on a truck from Marysville, yesterday morning. But there’s not much I can do about it. These cars are at a premium. It’s a sellers market out there. You want a car fairly soon, you take what you can get. Or you wait, and wait for exactly what you want, no mater how long it takes. Some get lucky and find exactly what they want right away. But not in an area where there 3 dealers, in the same radius as 31 Ford dealers. What I do know is, is that this car was not on anyone’s list of order's or deliveries. The Salesperson and I had gone over a list of every car in that combo, coming into any dealer within a 250 radius, by the end of December last week. This car was NOT on that list. So maybe Acura did send it to them as a special DEMO ONLY! Not to mention, my lease on the CL-S was up yesterday.

I do know that I saved a few hundred up front, and $30 a month on the Satin Silver/Ebony Navi, lip spoiler’d beauty in my driveway. Over the original deal made for a black or anthracite/ebony navi.

This will be just fine for the next 3 years. Besides, one thing that always bothered me about the Black and Anthracite models, IMHO, was the front grill. There's a LOT of brushed aluminum up there. And the pieces are a lot wider than the previous CL and TL. I thought it stood out like a sore thumb on the dark cars. On the silver and white. It blends in so much more with the body color.

Well. That's how my day went yesterday. Now I just have to get it to stop turning the “fan on 7" when I try to link my Blue Tooth phone to it.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I think you made the best of a poor situation. I wouldn't want to take home a "Demo Only" model because some of those have low build numbers, and have some fit/finish issues. At least you got a good deal on the "owner's car". I know you did this, but I'll say it anyway....inspect everything!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

I heard the same story from my dealer on the "Demo Cars". Acura gave an additional allocation of 1 car to each of their dealers with the stipulation that this be used as a demo car for 6 months.

Additionally, you don't really want black/ebony. It looks cheap, much too much like an Accord. I had originally ordered the black/black w/ navi but immediately changed my order to Satin Silver once I saw it in person. The Anthracite does look nice however.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:24 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by neuronbob
I think you made the best of a poor situation. I wouldn't want to take home a "Demo Only" model because some of those have low build numbers, and have some fit/finish issues. At least you got a good deal on the "owner's car". I know you did this, but I'll say it anyway....inspect everything!
Well, that didn't even cross my mind. That the Demo ONly cars would be ones that they DON'T want to sell brand new to the public. I'll bet the there is some kind of an agreement that says the dealer must fix any little problems with that car, while they have it. And then, after six months, they can sell it used. hmmm?

Thanks for the tip NB!

And yes, the Silver will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. As a matter of fact. I plan on logging any thing I find, big or small (I already have a slightly mis-installed piece of interior trim) and habe it all taken care of during the first service visitat 3.75K Miles.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can completely understand how annoying it can get....I was trying to find satin silver with ebony and navi and not a single dealer had it so then i just went and placed and order after a few weeks and now finally it should be arriving within 2 weeks...i can't wait...and i want to do soo much to it so i am just waiting and waiting!!!