Sponsored by:

performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance upgrade

Hey Guys,

I just recently recieved my 2004 TL anthracite/Ebony/5AT/NAVI and now i'm looking to upgrade the performance a bit. I was wondering what you guys recommend I start with...any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Peach Tea

i recommend you start with posting in the right section.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by badazzTL

Try the Comptech anti-roll bar.
Stiffer springs or coilovers.
CAI (Injen and K&N currently).
Comptech exhaust.

No "real" power-adders available yet, although a couple of people have nitrous. You can search the general forums for any of the above that I mentioned and you can find a ton of stuff.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc

Try the Comptech anti-roll bar.
Stiffer springs or coilovers.
CAI (Injen and K&N currently).
Comptech exhaust.

No "real" power-adders available yet, although a couple of people have nitrous. You can search the general forums for any of the above that I mentioned and you can find a ton of stuff.
i rank $ per HP gained.

some of these have bad ratios, others not so bad. i'll let you (the TL owner and hard worker) decide which ones are worth it.

NoS is best bang-for-the-buck.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by cvajs
i rank $ per HP gained.

some of these have bad ratios, others not so bad. i'll let you (the TL owner and hard worker) decide which ones are worth it.

NoS is best bang-for-the-buck.
Except for the CAI, everything I've listed has a bad $ per HP gained ratio... . You are right about the nitrous. In almost ALL cases, nitrous adds more hp on the cheap than any other power adder. If done right, it can also be reliable (although it is not street-legal).

IMO, sometimes it is more worthwhile to work on the suspension of a vehicle before changing the power and the power delivery. It can make the car much more "fun" in the twisties, and less of the bare-knuckled, oh-s**t driving. Of course once you have tuned your car to the level you want it to handle, then adding another 80-100 hp...

Again, just my
Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

instead of adding horsepower there are other ways to get better performance out of the car. getting better tires will help alot. if does not add horsepower but the increased traction will improve handling and acceleration. getting a lighter set of rims will also do this as well.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
And what would that section be? Any specific recommendations?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:08 PM
Racer

I second the tires. Extra HP is nothing if you can't stop or steer right. Living in NJ, you'll need a nice set of A/S like the Falken 512 or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Intermediate

Power is nothing without control, so Id go for suspension (Aspec or coilovers or springs with rear sway) and wheels with new rubber. Then later get your added HP. But its up to you.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Ron A
This thread was initially in the Photo Gallery subforum. I think one of the other mods might have moved it here. That was what badazzTL was referring to.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by Ron A
This thread was initially in the Photo Gallery subforum. I think one of the other mods might have moved it here. That was what badazzTL was referring to.
thanks for clearing that up.

someone left me negative points for this thread, i don't know why. it says "too mean to the new guy". get over it and next time leave ur name pussy
Old 10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Except for the CAI, everything I've listed has a bad $ per HP gained ratio... . You are right about the nitrous. In almost ALL cases, nitrous adds more hp on the cheap than any other power adder. If done right, it can also be reliable (although it is not street-legal).

IMO, sometimes it is more worthwhile to work on the suspension of a vehicle before changing the power and the power delivery. It can make the car much more "fun" in the twisties, and less of the bare-knuckled, oh-s**t driving. Of course once you have tuned your car to the level you want it to handle, then adding another 80-100 hp...

Again, just my
I agree with you 100%, pooch
Old 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
thanks for clearing that up.

someone left me negative points for this thread, i don't know why. it says "too mean to the new guy". get over it and next time leave ur name pussy
Well, both your first "answer" and this one certainly do not reek of helpfulness or gentlemanly behavior - I did not neg you, but i am posting my suggestion to be a bit more magnaminous straight up. Using vulgarities and giving the finger are not a mode of communication some people (like me) think represents good manners. I suggest not getting all worked up over this is a good moving forward position, but what do i know?

yanks2685 - in the stickies at the top of this Forum, there is a pointer to the "3G Garage" - lots of good info there, since you will inevitably be asking many questions that have already been asked and answered. I admit that i have occasionally told people to "Do a Search", as obviously common questions asked repetitively eat up space, and more importantly for you, many of the better posters on here simply will not post meaningful answers over and over. So instead of just being a "good citizen", it is in your best interest to do a bit if your own homework.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Well, both your first "answer" and this one certainly do not reek of helpfulness or gentlemanly behavior - I did not neg you, but i am posting my suggestion to be a bit more magnaminous straight up. Using vulgarities and giving the finger are not a mode of communication some people (like me) think represents good manners. I suggest not getting all worked up over this is a good moving forward position, but what do i know?
blah blah blah
Old 10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
blah blah blah
Norfolk - it figures.