Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Tint in Columbia, MD/Moleskin

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$200 to install the moleskins is a rip...someone posted pictures on the forum of installing the moleskins without even removing the door panel.

It seems that some people, even WITH moleskin, have reported scratches; however, it doesn't seem to be the majority. The dealer had tinted my windows prior to me purchasing the car and my rear windows are scratched...I need to have it re-tinted at some point
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I'd like to see some pics of someone doing this.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=2&pp=25

I installed the moleskin myself. On a scale of 1-10 for DIY projects, I'd say it is a 3. It is simple, but requires care and patience. The only tools you need are a small flat screwdriver and a phillips head medium screwdriver. A flat prying type tool would help pop the door panels off.

I think it took me about 2 hours to do all 4 doors the first time I did one. I actually take more time than that to wash/detail my TL.

But, even WITH the moleskin, I have two very fine, almost invisible scratches. It isn't noticeable enough for me to want to fix it.

If you are in a sandy or dusty area, you can almost plan on scratches from hard particles being caught between the hard OEM rubber wiper and the window.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by ITL
$200 to install the moleskins is a rip...someone posted pictures on the forum of installing the moleskins without even removing the door panel.

It seems that some people, even WITH moleskin, have reported scratches; however, it doesn't seem to be the majority. The dealer had tinted my windows prior to me purchasing the car and my rear windows are scratched...I need to have it re-tinted at some point
I think it was 125 in the end. Its worth it to me for peace of mind. I have NO scratches
Old 06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8&page=2&pp=25

I installed the moleskin myself. On a scale of 1-10 for DIY projects, I'd say it is a 3. It is simple, but requires care and patience. The only tools you need are a small flat screwdriver and a phillips head medium screwdriver. A flat prying type tool would help pop the door panels off.

I think it took me about 2 hours to do all 4 doors the first time I did one. I actually take more time than that to wash/detail my TL.

But, even WITH the moleskin, I have two very fine, almost invisible scratches. It isn't noticeable enough for me to want to fix it.

If you are in a sandy or dusty area, you can almost plan on scratches from hard particles being caught between the hard OEM rubber wiper and the window.

Thank you!! That definitely helps. I ordered my kit from a site that was recommended on here. Hope to get it soon.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xtin
Not exactly 2 minutes if you arent familiar with the door. Took me about 30 minutes to get the drivers door off the first time
You don't have to completly remove the panel, so it really only does take 2 minutes. I did the whole car myself in about 30 minutes taking my time. Anyways, these tint shops are getting away with highway robbery! They basically charged you $125 for 30 minutes of work plus materials??? That's insane.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Agreed. I spent about two hours too, but only because I was going particularly slowly. Only issue I hit was with the lower-left screw (the one that has a rubber gasket on it). On two of my doors, the metal cylinder turned along with the screw. To take the screw out, I had to hold the cylinder in place with some needle-nose pliers. Anyone else run into this problem? Is there something I did wrong to make that cylinder loosen up?
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Xtin, I hope you live in the MD/VA part of the "Metro DC". I was at the DMV down here in DC getting my car inspected and there was a guy with tint on his window. They WOULD NOT let him even pull into the inspection place with the tint on the windows. I'd really like to get mine tinted, but I don't want to go through the hassles every time I get my car inspected. Stupid DC tint laws.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by TokyoJoe
Xtin, I hope you live in the MD/VA part of the "Metro DC". I was at the DMV down here in DC getting my car inspected and there was a guy with tint on his window. They WOULD NOT let him even pull into the inspection place with the tint on the windows. I'd really like to get mine tinted, but I don't want to go through the hassles every time I get my car inspected. Stupid DC tint laws.
I dont understand what you are asking.

I dont know the DC tint laws as I live in Maryland