Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Tint in Columbia, MD/Moleskin

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Tint in Columbia, MD/Moleskin

They quoted me $225 for the Carbon 35% Tint install and then another 200 something to install the moleskin since they "need to take the whole door apart"

Can someone whos had the moleskin applied tell me if it saved you from scratching?

They cover scratching in their lifetime warranty so is it even worth it to get the moleskin? Anyone used them before? It looks REALLLLY shady but I remember someone saying they did good work

http://www.performancewindowtinting.com/
Old 04-13-2006, 12:03 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Got mine done there. so did tzakiel...

both of our tint are scratched... I don't know what happend to tzakiel's but my driver window was scratched because a part of weatherstripping got folded in.

I unfolded that part and problem free so far. Slightly scratched tint doen't bother me at all.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by kennyc
Got mine done there. so did tzakiel...

both of our tint are scratched... I don't know what happend to tzakiel's but my driver window was scratched because a part of weatherstripping got folded in.

I unfolded that part and problem free so far. Slightly scratched tint doen't bother me at all.
ok so you recommend the moleskin then ? Im not sure if tz got his fixed or not but originally he said he was happy with it and thats what drew my attention to these tinters in the first place. I saw yours and it didnt look badly scratched...are you going to have them fix it?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

I don't know... if they would replace scratch tint for free why would you still want moleskin for extra $200?

I probably will get it fixed. What I am afraid of is that even though they use the same brand and darkness tint it might come out slightly different due to different batch. As it did on the Audi.

Bottom line is, I probably will not get it fixed until most of them get scratched up. Then I will get them to replace all the windows.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I am getting tint done next week at a place in Spokane that I heve dealt with a 1/2 dozen times before and I was quoted $170 Moleskin included and they have done TLs before so its not an unknown zone fore them.

They do excellent work and I have never had an issue outside of one scratch which my dog did and they even replace that when I had my fronts redone ( I was busted for it and removed it .. then they redid it a few months later)
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

spokane.... as in Washington, the state??
Old 04-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

spokane.... as in Washington, the state??
Yeep thats the one .. I live just directly north of there in BC CanaDUH.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:33 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Beautiful area... I want to retire there one day!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Doctor Sarcasm

I don't know... if they would replace scratch tint for free why would you still want moleskin for extra $200?

I probably will get it fixed. What I am afraid of is that even though they use the same brand and darkness tint it might come out slightly different due to different batch. As it did on the Audi.

Bottom line is, I probably will not get it fixed until most of them get scratched up. Then I will get them to replace all the windows.
I guess for the convenience of not having to go back to get it done.....although Chris lives about a mile from there....
Old 04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Beautiful area... I want to retire there one day!
Well I'm here .. I'm retired .. and your right .. its beautiful here .. and from where I live if I drive a little over an hour the rainbow trout are up to 26 pounds ..

Opps sorry to hijack the thread .. I appologize...
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

I called Performance Tint the other day and didn't get the warm and fuzzies. I've decided I'm going to shell out the cash for ceramic tint (either HuperOptik or Formula One Pinnacle) and have been trying to find a good place. Performance had a few pictures on their website of a BMW with HuperOptik tint (now seems to have been removed) and I'd read a couple of decent recommendations here so I figured I'd give them a shot. On the phone when I asked about the tint they said they no longer carried HuperOptik but the stuff they had was just as good. He then proceeded to try to convince me that the only difference between ceramic tint and carbon tint was they were different brands. Anyway I ended up not using them mainly because they didn't have the tint I wanted but I doubt I'd have used them anyway.

If anyone knows of any other good tinters in the area I'm all ears.

-apnar
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by apnar
I called Performance Tint the other day and didn't get the warm and fuzzies. I've decided I'm going to shell out the cash for ceramic tint (either HuperOptik or Formula One Pinnacle) and have been trying to find a good place. Performance had a few pictures on their website of a BMW with HuperOptik tint (now seems to have been removed) and I'd read a couple of decent recommendations here so I figured I'd give them a shot. On the phone when I asked about the tint they said they no longer carried HuperOptik but the stuff they had was just as good. He then proceeded to try to convince me that the only difference between ceramic tint and carbon tint was they were different brands. Anyway I ended up not using them mainly because they didn't have the tint I wanted but I doubt I'd have used them anyway.

If anyone knows of any other good tinters in the area I'm all ears.

-apnar
The place is shading as well and the guys look like criminals but Ive heard they are good.

Hmmmm...lifetime warranty against scratching is def what I need though.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Well I'm here .. I'm retired .. and your right .. its beautiful here .. and from where I live if I drive a little over an hour the rainbow trout are up to 26 pounds ..

Opps sorry to hijack the thread .. I appologize...
26 POUNDS??? Are you serious? I bet thats fun on a nice 5 weight Winston Boron.... Holy crap.... Im headed to Montana in two weeks to do some spectacular Fly Fishing but they aren't that big!

TL relation... 26 pounds?? That weighs as much as a TL Stock 17 inch Enkei Rim!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
SSM A-Spec

JP has had all of his cars done at California Tint in Great Falls. They've always done a good job. I might go there for my new car.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

225 is a competitive price in MD. I got 20% put on buy "THE TINT MAN" out in glen burnie for the same price before taxes. As for the moleskin. I got the tint put on before accessing this board and learning about moleskin. Only one window scratched (driver side front) and i never really cared about it nor cared to get it fixed or put out more money for moleskin. The windows are naked now due to a fix it ticket and my unwillingness to put 35% tint on my car. to me it seems useless to pay for a tint i can see through. just my $0.02
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
$225 for the Carbon 35% + $200 something for moleskin!!

Is that the best price you can get in MD? Is it because of the film?

Just got mine done in Irvine, CA with Solar Gard NR and moleskin for $160! Thats 7 windows.. removed the rear break light in the rear windshield.. all done in 2 hours. Hey xtin, maybe you should take a road trip out to CA before the snow melts at Mammoth.

Seriously though, can you find a better place?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by datmrman
$225 for the Carbon 35% + $200 something for moleskin!!

Is that the best price you can get in MD? Is it because of the film?

Just got mine done in Irvine, CA with Solar Gard NR and moleskin for $160! Thats 7 windows.. removed the rear break light in the rear windshield.. all done in 2 hours. Hey xtin, maybe you should take a road trip out to CA before the snow melts at Mammoth.

Seriously though, can you find a better place?
thats pretty reasonable in the DC area..believe it or not
Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Wow.. have you considered getting it tinted and DIY moleskin? I'm sure theres a howto on here.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by datmrman
Wow.. have you considered getting it tinted and DIY moleskin? I'm sure theres a howto on here.
I have the instructions but I would rather someone with the right tools do it correctly.

To be honest its in their best interest to install the moleskin because if I get one scratch thats visible, Im going back for a redo =)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Yeah.. and they don't want to face the wrath on an angry xtin!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Safety Car

on => of

I should get some sleep soon.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 AM
VS#03

I have the moleskins installed since 05 and I don't have one scratch on my window, the moleskins do help. Also make sure they remove the rear quarter window to apply the tint to the entire quarter window.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtin
The place is shading as well and the guys look like criminals but Ive heard they are good.

Hmmmm...lifetime warranty against scratching is def what I need though.
That was the other thing I forgot to mention. I to am interested in a good life time warranty. But a warranty is only good if you can find the person to fix it. It seemed Performance doesn't actually even have their own shop, they were just part of some "auto salon" or something if I recall. I didn't have much faith that if I had an issue in 3 years there'd be anyone there to make good on my warranty.

-apnar
Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

apnar, don't judge the book by it's covers. They did an excellent job on my TL. They are also very professional in person.

Their price is reasonable and they were right on time.

Can't say that to a lot of places these days.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

apnar, don't judge the book by it's covers. They did an excellent job on my TL. They are also very professional in person.

Their price is reasonable and they were right on time.

Can't say that to a lot of places these days.
JUst an update..I got it done with the moleskin for $355. I guess I didnt mind paying for the moleskin for the convenience of not having to go back and get it redone.

Got 35% Carbon and it looks really nice. Will take pics when I get my AEM CAI and my tinted tail lights on

The place is actually called "Picture Perfect" and they do detailing and carpet repair etc as well . .Very shady looking but the work looks great so far. Took about 2 hours with the moleskin and tint installed
Old 04-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry it's too late but just to follow up, my tints are scratched, too. Everyone I have ever seen with a 3rd gen TL has scratched up their tints (unless they had the strips cut back or covered with felt). I think $225 is reasonable for tinting and $200 too much for a felt install. The fact is the 3rd gen window stripping is too large and too hard and gets folded over/smashed into the windows when rolling them up and down.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:50 PM
9th Gear

Can someone please tell me the best and cheapest place to buy some moleskin...how much do you need?

JUst an update..I got it done with the moleskin for $355. I guess I didnt mind paying for the moleskin for the convenience of not having to go back and get it redone.

Got 35% Carbon and it looks really nice. Will take pics when I get my AEM CAI and my tinted tail lights on

The place is actually called "Picture Perfect" and they do detailing and carpet repair etc as well . .Very shady looking but the work looks great so far. Took about 2 hours with the moleskin and tint installed
Old 04-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by tzakiel
Sorry it's too late but just to follow up, my tints are scratched, too. Everyone I have ever seen with a 3rd gen TL has scratched up their tints (unless they had the strips cut back or covered with felt). I think $225 is reasonable for tinting and $200 too much for a felt install. The fact is the 3rd gen window stripping is too large and too hard and gets folded over/smashed into the windows when rolling them up and down.
Yeah I had the moleskin installed by them. They said the TL always scratches and they cant guarantee no scratches unless you got the moleskin, so I did
Old 04-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by charaiponh
Can someone please tell me the best and cheapest place to buy some moleskin...how much do you need?
Email AcuraKid@
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

They are criminals at Picture Perfect. They bus them in and bus them out every day. No joke!! I used to work at Audio Connections to the right of them. I think they're expensive. I've always used Fresh Designs in College Park. 220 for ALL windows (even whole windsheild.) I installed the moleskin that I bought from this site myself after I had scratches. I had them retint the fronts cause they were real bad and I don't have 1 scratch after 2 years. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by jamilla
They are criminals at Picture Perfect. They bus them in and bus them out every day. No joke!! I used to work at Audio Connections to the right of them. I think they're expensive. I've always used Fresh Designs in College Park. 220 for ALL windows (even whole windsheild.) I installed the moleskin that I bought from this site myself after I had scratches. I had them retint the fronts cause they were real bad and I don't have 1 scratch after 2 years. Just my 2 cents.
I dont care about their personal story. They did a good job
Old 04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
We have an authorized moleskin vendor here in Acurazine, flnsx.

Click here for ordering information.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:35 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron A
We have an authorized moleskin vendor here in Acurazine, flnsx.

Click here for ordering information.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts
They said the TL always scratches and they cant guarantee no scratches unless you got the moleskin, so I did

Thats a load of crap, I got my windows tinted as soon as I bought my car. Not one issue with my tint scratching.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I talked with a tint guy and he says the TL and a few other cars have really tight seals. Unless you wash the rubber gasket area thoroughly and frequently, there is a greater likelihood of scratches.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by trancemission
Thats a load of crap, I got my windows tinted as soon as I bought my car. Not one issue with my tint scratching.
Probably because your seals were nice and clean. Over time dirt gets in there and makes the felt really gritty and then everytime you roll em up, SCRRRRAATCHHHH

I just did the moleskin for peace of mind, really. Ive seen too many scratched up tints.

Ethan, what % and make? I also heard the metallic is less likely to scratch than Carbon and Ceramic
Old 04-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

I dont care about their personal story. They did a good job

I wasn't giving you there personal history just noticing your observation was dead on.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 PM
SSM A-Spec

Holy cow, removing the door takes a Long Ass 2 minutes. Unscrew a few screws and the whole thing pops off. Also, you don't need to remove the entire door to get to the seal. Pop the top part out everyone and the seal comes off. Than take the moleskin strips, apply, and re-install. Done.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I'd like to see some pics of someone doing this.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by TL Dustin
Holy cow, removing the door takes a Long Ass 2 minutes. Unscrew a few screws and the whole thing pops off. Also, you don't need to remove the entire door to get to the seal. Pop the top part out everyone and the seal comes off. Than take the moleskin strips, apply, and re-install. Done.
Not exactly 2 minutes if you arent familiar with the door. Took me about 30 minutes to get the drivers door off the first time

Quick Reply: Performance Tint in Columbia, MD/Moleskin