3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"performance" air filter hype

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 03:52 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not good considering you have to do 150MPH to see it.

Perhaps I need to fab up an air box and beat this sh!t out of my TL...for the sake of science.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Skeedatl
The air moving in a pipe is exactly what is happening with ram air...air is diverted through a closed environment...the mathematics for pressure work the same for air as they would for any fluid...just the constants are different (which I noted in the calculations). All of the calculations treat it as compressible, and in fact show the amount of compression, which was later verified in an article posted by 1LE, but like Rodabaugh, the amount of conversion taking place is so small that you can call it incompressible until the difference it large enough to be "worth discussing".

It's compressible for the sake of description, my math shows that there is "some" compression going on...but for the sake of description, the amount of compression is so small, that it doesn't make any difference in terms of HP.

It's like measuring MPG. If you get 30MPG or 30.1MPG...it's not going to make a difference. Not that .1MPG is "non-existant" but rather because there are so many other variables that .1MPG is within "uncertainy" in calculating MPG.

At any speed you can move air molecules closer together...but there is a point in which the pressure difference is so low that it doesn't matter. Rodabaugh's argument is that in automotive applications, cars as so slow, that the tiny amount of compression that does occur "doesn't matter" in terms of generating horsepower...that is until you're driving so fast that you are talking about speeds no one goes, especially on the street (where you see ram air applications like the WS6). In that case, you see HP improvements along the lines of ANY CAI, like the Injen CAI.
It's not exactly the same as the air flowing through a pipe. You can follow the pipe model AFTER you have stagnated the outside air at the inlet of the ram air structure. This is where the pressure increase happens.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Not good considering you have to do 150MPH to see it.

Perhaps I need to fab up an air box and beat this sh!t out of my TL...for the sake of science.
The ~ 6.5% increase in power correlates to 150 MPH.

There were MARKED increases in power well below that speed, which you'd already know IF you read the articles (which you clearly have NOT).

Look at it this way:

From a dead start on a balls-to-the-wall run, that bike is clipping the 100 MPH mark in ~ 7 seconds.

So in just ~ 7 seconds, that bike is going to begin to see quantifiable gains that wouldn't exist without ram air.:wow:
Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Lurker

The computations aren't location specific. Where the compression occurs in irrelevant, only where the envelope of compression exists. And even then, the location isn't necessary for computation.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by harddrivin1le

There were MARKED increases in power well below that speed, which you'd already know IF you read the articles (which you clearly have NOT).

Look at it this way:

From a dead start on a balls-to-the-wall run, that bike is clipping the 100 MPH mark in ~ 7 seconds.

So in just ~ 7 seconds, that bike is going to begin to see quantifiable gains that wouldn't exist without ram air.:wow:
That's all well n' good for a 10s bike. Those seat of the pants gains aren't realized in anything else. How much off yer E/T would you see if you put ram air on your 1LE? If I run 15PSI or 15.5 PSI of boost, my E/T's are fall in the same .1s range. REALLY zero difference if I run 15 compared to 15.25 PSI of boost.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Drifting

The computations aren't location specific. Where the compression occurs in irrelevant, only where the envelope of compression exists. And even then, the location isn't necessary for computation.
OK...

But, back to the bike test.

It was seeing 10 mb of positive airbox pressure @ just 80 MPH. That's 2.6 HP.

That bike hits 80 in what - 5 seconds (in a standing start, balls-to-the-wall run).
Old 03-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Look at it this way:

An increase of.43PSIG is about equivalent to a 1,000 ft elevation change. I don't know about you, Skeedatl, but I can feel a difference of 1,000ft.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Drifting

That's all well n' good for a 10s bike. Those seat of the pants gains aren't realized in anything else. How much off yer E/T would you see if you put ram air on your 1LE?
Not much...

But I've never been a drag racer, anyway.

I like running FROM SPEED.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by kilrb
An increase of.43PSIG is about equivalent to a 1,000 ft elevation change. I don't know about you, Skeedatl, but I can feel a difference of 1,000ft.
I told him that earlier and posted an altitude vs. air pressure chart to back the claim.

Here it is:

http://home.flash.net/~rfm2/altitude.htm

And with ram air, the faster you go, the LOWER your altitude effectively becomes!
Old 03-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Lurker

I can't. Pomona is like 850' or something like that and I get the same ET there as I do at a crappy sea level track like Carlsbad or even the 1/8th at Irwindale.

Not until I go to Palmdale so I see any difference at all, 3,000ft or something like that. What's that...nearly 2 PSI below normal or something like that? And even then, it's just a tenth or 2.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Drifting

I can't. Pomona is like 850' or something like that and I get the same ET there as I do at a crappy sea level track like Carlsbad or even the 1/8th at Irwindale.

Not until I go to Palmdale so I see any difference at all, 3,500ft or something like that. What's that...2 PSI below normal or somethign like that?
TRAP SPEED is more telling than ET in terms of how much HP is being produced. And if temp and humidity are similar @ both tracks, your car should post a slightly higher trap speed @ the lower elevation.

I don't doubt that "ram air" essentially has no impact on ET (or much impact on ET) in drag racing with streetable cars. The average speed of such cars through the standing start 1/4 simply isn't fast enough.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Lurker

I run faster at high altitude, just I just boost it more...and less wind resistence
Old 03-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Drifting

I run faster at high altitude, just I just boost it more...and less wind resistence
We both know that less wind resistance equates to lower air density (due to lower atmospheric pressure)....

So if the wind resistance is quantifiably less, so must be the air pressure.
Instructor

The outside air stagnating on the front of the ram air intake increases the pressure inside the entire intake system. The location of the compressed air also comes into play in the pressure drop of the intake system. If the outside air is compressed, it is more dense and therefore the velocity of the air flow through the intake system is decreased. Density is directly proportional to the velocity, but the pressure drop is proportional to the square of the velocity. That is, if we compress the air by 2%, the pressure drop of the intake system will be decreased by 4%.
Lurker

Just don't tell my motor that.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:44 PM
User Registered

Holy buh-jeezus guys... this thread was started on 03-20-2004 @ 02:35 PM???? That's only 3 days and it's already 17 pages and 411 replies long?!?!?!

It's just an air filter! Just hold a kleenex to your nose and breathe... wolla, air filter. What a concept.

Now a supercharger behind that air filter! That's worth at least 20 pages and 500 replies.

We've all seen the commercial on Spike TV... just agree...

K&N, yeah, K&N!

Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Drifting

The outside air stagnating on the front of the ram air intake increases the pressure inside the entire intake system. The location of the compressed air also comes into play in the pressure drop of the intake system.
Yep...

Sounds like we need to nominate Rodabaugh to the Offical Club of Ass Clownery.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Lurker

That is, if we compress the air by 2%, the pressure drop of the intake system will be decreased by 4%.
That would be true if you had only a finite amount of air.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Drifting

That would be true if you had only a finite amount of air.
"Pressure DROP is DECREASED...."

That means a net rise in pressure (a net drop in vacuum).

I think we should ALL be able to agree at this point that "ram air" does offer SOME benefit, perhaps as low as ~ 75 MPH and that its benefit from that point will increase to the square of velocity.

I'll take Ram Air, thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Lurker

That has already been said...and shown in the calcucations, which is why I figured he has mistakenly used a double negative.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:01 PM
Lurker

The location of the compression is irrelevant in terms of calculating the amount of compression...the entire system is compressed.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Lurker

The only thing that matters, is that the TB "sees" the compression. IOW, you can't compress only the front of the airbox. It's either all or none. The location of the source of the force doing the compression, which is at the inlet...doesn't matter. It's irrelevant for computing the amount of compression.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Lurker

"Pressure DROP is DECREASED...."

That means a net rise in pressure (a net drop in vacuum).

I think we should ALL be able to agree at this point that "ram air" does offer SOME benefit, perhaps as low as ~ 75 MPH and that its benefit from that point will increase to the square of velocity.

I'll take Ram Air, thanks.
Square of the multiplyer of the velocity. Double the velocity, quadruples the pressure seen in the previous velocity.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Drifting

Square of the multiplyer of the velocity. Double the velocity, quadruples the pressure seen in the previous velocity.
Yes...I got that...

Just think of the Ram Air system you'll be able to afford (and the money you'll still have leftover) now that you no longer "need" aluminum heads.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Lurker

Maybe I'll just put that money down on one of those alien Miller cycle motors.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Maybe I'll just put that money down on one of those alien Miller cycle motors.
Nothing gained there (in terms of power)....All of the "extra" static/mechanical compression ratio goes "out the window" due to the fact that the intake valve remains opened as the piston rises from BDC. Dynamic compression ratios are comparable to what one would see in a "comparable" Otto cycle engine running the same octane gasoline.

All they gain is a mild reduction in pumping losses...I suppose that would equate to a power gain on some level, but nothing that's directly attributable to the higher static compression ratio.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Lurker

Nope, it's gonna run 50:1 on Pepsi...diet Pepsi at that.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro

Nope, it's gonna run 50:1 on Pepsi...diet Pepsi at that.
hey skeed make sure you have a reference for that or hardrivin will :tflamer: your arse....
Old 03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Why is it so hard to follow that I don't run air filters for 15,000 miles?

And any K&N I've ever had is FILTHY after ~ 5K miles.

And you're wrong when you state that engines don't make "an effort" when drawing air into the cylinders.

That "effort" (actually a pumping loss) is LARGE at anything less than WOT.
So I take it is filthier than your paper filter. Does that mean its working better???
Old 03-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Swat Dude
So I take it is filthier than your paper filter. Does that mean its working better???
Don't know...

Real world testing/results I've seen produced a mix bag of conclusions....

Does't K&N also make ludicrous claims about the # of miles the filter can go before being "serviced?"

It's filthy @ 5,000 miles...

Here is is:

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

"Lasts up to 50,000 miles before cleaning..."
Old 03-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Lurker

In my experience cotton looking "filthy" doesn't mean bad flow, whereas in paper it does.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Cotton looking "filthy" doesn't mean bad flow, whereas in paper it does.
Look what they claim:

Leave yours in for 50,000 miles without touching it and see how well it flows...:lol2:
Old 03-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

In my experience cotton looking "filthy" doesn't mean bad flow, whereas in paper it does.
According to Harddrivin's experiment protocol, just by looking at more dirt on the KN filter than a paper filter run the same amount of miles last year in the desert, one would have to conclude by the presence of more dirt that the KN was working better.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Lurker

Look what they claim:

Leave yours in for 50,000 miles without touching it and see how well it flows...:lol2:
Hence, the words UP TO. Try leaving a paper one in there for 1/2 that, tenth that.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Hence, the words UP TO. Try leaving a paper one in there for 1/2 that, tenth that.
I've never seen a paper filter than claimed to be good for "up to 50,000 miles."

What kind of environment would allow that kind of mileage with a K&N (or any other filter)?????

The entire claim is asinine.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Swat Dude
According to Harddrivin's experiment protocol, just by looking at more dirt on the KN filter than a paper filter run the same amount of miles last year in the desert, one would have to conclude by the presence of more dirt that the KN was working better.
Not my "experiment."

In fact, that wasn't ANYONE'S experiment that I'm aware of...
Old 03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Lurker

I've never seen a paper filter than claimed to be good for "up to 50,000 miles."

What kind of environment would allow that kind of mileage with a K&N (or any other filter)?????

The entire claim is asinine.
I clean mine about every 15K or so I guess, but when I do pull it, it's darker, but not filthy. Should I want to I'm sure it could go easily twice that without any adverse effects. And I live in a pretty dusty environment and make fairly frequent trips to Vegas. With cotton, while it may "look" dirty, doesn't mean it's clogged; as would be the case with a paper filter. With paper I was changing the filter every oil change (5,000mi). I would pull it, hold it up to the light and you couldn't see ANY light through it; it was so nasty. So I'm going about 3x paper between cleanings and probably could go 6x paper between cleanings. If it weren't so easy to clean, I probably would go 30K between cleanings.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Drifting

... With paper I was changing the filter every oil change (5,000mi). I would pull it, hold it up to the light and you couldn't see ANY light through it; it was so nasty. So I'm going about 3x paper between cleanings and probably could go 6x paper between cleanings. If it weren't so easy to clean, I probably would go 30K between cleanings.
Most of that is attributable to the fact that the paper filter catches more dirt in the first place.:wow:
Old 03-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Lurker

Paper is better at catching fine particulates, making it dirtier faster but the particulates that are harmful to the motor are those over 20 microns, and with that, they both filter pretty much the same in the SAE tests I've seen.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:31 AM