Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Percentage of TLs with manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fastlarry
It is ridiculous for you to state that drivers choose an automatic over a stick strictly because they are lazy or don't know how to drive a stick. I recently bought an automatic TL Type S and it is only the 7th automatic I've had out of 23 cars. I got tired of sitting at a standstill on the interstate for hours at a time working a clutch back and forth. With the power of the TL, I don't need the "edge" that a stick once gave to a driver in acceleration. Today's automatics are so well made and shift so quickly that the manufacturing of manuals will continue to decline. Additionally, manuals are more difficult to resell and take a real beating as a trade-in to a dealer. Yes, driving a manual is more involving and fun, but most of us need to be more practical and are more mature than putting down drivers because of their choice of tranmissions.
Check out the definition of lazy in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: disinclined to activity or exertion. Using the clutch is activity or requires some type of extertion. If you don't want to, isn't that by the definition of the dictionary, lazy? Hell, I don't want to go on the treadmill in my basement everynight. So am I lazy, yes. Also, if someone doesn't know how to drive a stick, then what other option does a driver have? That's right, an automatic. So I'm not sure you assertion that "It is ridiculous for you to state that drivers choose an automatic over stick strictly because they are lazy or don't know how to drive a stick..." holds that much water.

As for manual's being harder to sell, I'll give you that but, hey if you buy a car to have fun, you pay a little more per mile... Small price to pay. Also, I'm not looking for an "edge" as you assert a stick would give a driver. I like it because of driver involvement.

As for being more mature, who said it was a put down? As I said in one of my early responses, it wasn't meant to be an insult because of their transmission choice. The starter of this thread included the statement "..or don't know how to drive a manual transmission..". Is that a false statement given the fact that close to 85% (or so) of the cars in the US are sold as automatics because the public wants that? Don't think so.

Finally, some people who chose not to sit in traffic when commuting to work everyday find another way. Public transportation (trains or buses)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Davan
Well my previous cars were all Maunal (Neon, Integra, RX-8, 325CI...), but I decide to buy 07 TL-S with automatic transmission with manual,

however I always use the manual along auto trans, so can you say im lazy after I bought TL-S?
I know Maunal provide quickness but when can you actually use that "quickness"? often or seldomly?
For me I am getting tired of racing with cars (for the age of 20 you guys will think im weird...), so I just wanna an auto to make my life easier.

All my personal view, please dont put hatred on me.

If you don't like racing, why get a Type-S?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:04 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert_TL
I've got the auto. It's my first automatic car (all prior cars were manuals).

Just because I chose an automatic doesn't mean I don't know how to drive a stick.

As far as the comment about cars in europe and asia all being manuals. This is true. I just got back from a vacation in Ireland and didn't see a SINGLE automatic car the entire time I was there. But, if you've ever actually been to Europe and seen how their roads are, you would understand why cars need to be manuals there. You don't see the same road conditions in America that you see in Europe that would necessitate a manual.

I got the automatic for 2 reasons. The first reason is that I moved to a city with really bad stop-and-go traffic. And I don't care who you are, in REAL stop-and-go traffic, you get SICK of shifting in a hurry. The second reason is that I just don't really understand the allure of going for the "racy" manual in a FWD car. If you were really that interested in performance, you would have bought a RWD car that would have been a LOT more fun to drive and would have really made the manual worth it. I've said this before and I'll say it again: the TL is NOT a race car. People who think the TL is "fast" and "racy" need to get out more.

You're right the TL isn't a race car, but some people get the manual to make their drive more enjoying. I mean if we went with that mentality then everyone would buy hybrids wouldn't they?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I don't think its "lazy" in the sense everyone is taking it. You choose not to hassle with the clutch. Personally, I love driving a stick and yes, the manual still gives a edge over the auto. Same car, same motor, equal drivers the manual will win.

My wife can not drive stick, so did I buy an auto? No, its my car, I have to drive it. But its all good, its a fun car either way. I just prefer to drive a manual car, and I enjoy the extra fuel mileage I receive.
Jason
There ya go Jason! That's what I'm talking 'bout! And you representing with NBP at that? You go boy!!!!

I know I weighed in on this, but damn, after reading all of this, I wanted to say something else. My first car I bought was a MT. I only knew the "basics" of driving it then. I was not nearly Racer X at that time like I am now. And no I don't speed on the regular, I just speed. Get it? Anyway, I was coming home today and taking corners like Adobeman said and ripping it, man it was just fun! I know it's not a Porsche or a Murcielago (spell that right?), but it's MY Porsche!!! And it's fun, and Imma get back in it and do it again the next time I crank it up!

Hey if you want an automatic then drive an automatic. I've had both. We know it's about preference, mostly with some pre-disposed conditions. We just all talking Sugar-Honey-Iced-Tea!! That's all. But make mine a 6MT baby! By the end of the month I will have the Comp SS (maybe bushings 2) and the GM SyncMesh Fluid in! Damn! Don't that sound fun? Well get you one and come on! The weather's breaking and so am I! Romantic drive? Hell yeah it's romantic Adobeman! I thought you knew!

- Ray
Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
I've got the auto. It's my first automatic car (all prior cars were manuals).

Just because I chose an automatic doesn't mean I don't know how to drive a stick.

As far as the comment about cars in europe and asia all being manuals. This is true. I just got back from a vacation in Ireland and didn't see a SINGLE automatic car the entire time I was there. But, if you've ever actually been to Europe and seen how their roads are, you would understand why cars need to be manuals there. You don't see the same road conditions in America that you see in Europe that would necessitate a manual.

I got the automatic for 2 reasons. The first reason is that I moved to a city with really bad stop-and-go traffic. And I don't care who you are, in REAL stop-and-go traffic, you get SICK of shifting in a hurry. The second reason is that I just don't really understand the allure of going for the "racy" manual in a FWD car. If you were really that interested in performance, you would have bought a RWD car that would have been a LOT more fun to drive and would have really made the manual worth it. I've said this before and I'll say it again: the TL is NOT a race car. People who think the TL is "fast" and "racy" need to get out more.
How does FWD justify not getting manual? My FWD TL beats 90% of the cars on the road. G35 coupe is RWD, and my car literally destroys those, its not even worth the gas, and yes Ive gone up against auto and manual ones. The truth is that the TL is "fast" and it can be "racy." Id rather be in the seat of the TL than a G35 coupe anyday. I think the TL is nicer and a better build, besides the fact that rain or snow the G35 feels like its ice skating. If you purchase Aspec suspension or an aftermarket one it gives you a lot less toss at launch and much better handling, putting the, what did you call it? "racy" part into the the TL. Im more than happy with my 6MT TL and I would never have gotten it in automatic. The benefits are more than worth it speed wise, not to mention youre more attentive to the road.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by geronimomoe
The starter of this thread included the statement "..or don't know how to drive a manual transmission..". Is that a false statement given the fact that close to 85% (or so) of the cars in the US are sold as automatics because the public wants that? Don't think so.

Why are you writing in the 3rd person.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Racer

Don't forget what I ended the starter of this thread with "or don't know how to drive a manual transmission."

My wife doesn't know how to drive stick. Made me get rid of my SHO (stick) for an auto Civic (for harmony in our marriage)

Many of the early replies were addressing my statement regarding lazy. Doesn't not knowing how to drive a manual transmission force a car buyer to get an automatic?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Why are you writing in the 3rd person.
Your point is?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts
Check out the definition of lazy in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: disinclined to activity or exertion. Using the clutch is activity or requires some type of extertion. If you don't want to, isn't that by the definition of the dictionary, lazy? Hell, I don't want to go on the treadmill in my basement everynight. So am I lazy, yes. Also, if someone doesn't know how to drive a stick, then what other option does a driver have? That's right, an automatic. So I'm not sure you assertion that "It is ridiculous for you to state that drivers choose an automatic over stick strictly because they are lazy or don't know how to drive a stick..." holds that much water.

As for manual's being harder to sell, I'll give you that but, hey if you buy a car to have fun, you pay a little more per mile... Small price to pay. Also, I'm not looking for an "edge" as you assert a stick would give a driver. I like it because of driver involvement.

As for being more mature, who said it was a put down? As I said in one of my early responses, it wasn't meant to be an insult because of their transmission choice. The starter of this thread included the statement "..or don't know how to drive a manual transmission..". Is that a false statement given the fact that close to 85% (or so) of the cars in the US are sold as automatics because the public wants that? Don't think so.

Finally, some people who chose not to sit in traffic when commuting to work everyday find another way. Public transportation (trains or buses)
It was never an issue of "definition", but one of implication. The word "lazy" implies something negative. Many people take exception to you implying they are lazy for making a choice like this...myself included. Frankly, I don't much care which one you PREFER, but I do care that you are making a judgment regarding my personal ethics based on the transmission I chose to get on my car. That just seems silly.

Furthermore, your tenuous argument that we who don't like stagnant traffic could choose an alternate form of transportation proceeds from a false assumption - that assumption being: that there is adequate public transportation available. In Phoenix, that's simply not the case. Plus, just because I don't like dealing with a clutch in stop-and-go traffic doesn't mean I don't still like driving my car...there's a lot I love about this car and the fact that I DO have a long commute is one of the reasons I sprung for the luxuries that come on this car.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ttribe
It was never an issue of "definition", but one of implication. The word "lazy" implies something negative. Many people take exception to you implying they are lazy for making a choice like this...myself included. Frankly, I don't much care which one you PREFER, but I do care that you are making a judgment regarding my personal ethics based on the transmission I chose to get on my car. That just seems silly.

Furthermore, your tenuous argument that we who don't like stagnant traffic could choose an alternate form of transportation proceeds from a false assumption - that assumption being: that there is adequate public transportation available. In Phoenix, that's simply not the case. Plus, just because I don't like dealing with a clutch in stop-and-go traffic doesn't mean I don't still like driving my car...there's a lot I love about this car and the fact that I DO have a long commute is one of the reasons I sprung for the luxuries that come on this car.
Who's judging ethics here? I'm sure not. If you CHOSE to read what was originally said as judging your ethics, look up ethics, the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation Lazy is defined by the dictionary disinclined to activity or exertion. I'm not judging your moral duty or obligation.

85% or so of the cars sold in this country are automatics. I don't think anyone is arguing that statement. Yes as someone replied earlier, if there are physical limitations, (which I freely admit I forgot) then an auto is probably the only option.

Then are you saying that the rest of the drivers can't drive stick (which is what I said originally), are physically incapable, or 212 million people live in areas where the congestion is so bad that we're driving in multiple hours of traffic?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:59 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Then are you saying that the rest of the drivers can't drive stick (which is what I said originally), are physically incapable, or 212 million people live in areas where the congestion is so bad that we're driving in multiple hours of traffic?
I think there are enough variables to warrant someone going the route of not driving a stick. Then after all of that is said and done, there is just the plain old issue of preference. Some people just would rather reach for a soda or the radio dial and just relax than have to pay attention to the gears. There is no end to this debate surely, because driver enthusiasts, like myself, are going to prefer the exhilirating feel of being in control of the experience, vs. the "just want to relax and look good" in the lap of luxury crowd.

For every reason you think of or I think of why you should drive a stick or why it is not "excusable" not to drive a stick, they have a reasonable counter in their opinion of the debate. So there will be no winner in this. Because really, I think this is just simply about preference. Everything else, in some form or fashion, fits underneath that umbrella.

But me personally...lol.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM

Who's judging ethics here? I'm sure not. If you CHOSE to read what was originally said as judging your ethics, look up ethics, the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation Lazy is defined by the dictionary disinclined to activity or exertion. I'm not judging your moral duty or obligation.

85% or so of the cars sold in this country are automatics. I don't think anyone is arguing that statement. Yes as someone replied earlier, if there are physical limitations, (which I freely admit I forgot) then an auto is probably the only option.

Obviously, I am saying nothing so extreme...if I was, you wouldn't have brought it up as an attempt to counter my statement. However, you are avoiding the crux of the argument - it's not about the definition. The word "lazy" implies something very negative when attached to the description of a person. Your opening post stated that anyone who doesn't choose as you do (in this case, the type of transmission on a car...I can't believe we are arguing about this), is by definition "lazy"...BTW, it's implied in the way you talk about people who don't know how to drive stick because they too, are "disinclined" to learn, which would require work. Therefore, by your definition - lazy.

I will leave physical limitations out of this, because it's obvious that there is no reasonable argument for laziness in that case and you've acknowledged that.

You ARE making a judgment of ethics when attaching a descriptor like lazy to any individual or group. My personal ethics (or sense of moral obligation) may require an above average "work ethic" which would definitely not be considered lazy. Nevertheless, you made a blanket statement which implies that the decision to purchase a vehicle with an auto or stick is the litmus test for laziness (which is how your posts have come off). If you want to state that I am a "lazy driver" by your definition, fine, I can accept that. But, to identify everyone who doesn't agree with your personal preferences with a broadly negative label is asking for a counter. In my very first post, I provided you with one - a lot of traffic, it DID impact my decision. It was only intended to be ONE counter.

By making an argument based on a blanket statement (i.e. all auto drivers are lazy) you left yourself open to the simple rebuttal which requires only one counter to show the falsity of your statement...if it has one exception your argument is false. Others have chimed in as well.

Now, let's try to re-cast what I think your point was (or should have been). Namely, that you enjoy driving this car when outfitted with a MT and you can't understand why someone would choose to have an AT on such a fine machine. Fine - that's a valid statement of preference which colors your perception of the world. I can accept that...it demonstrates our mutual passion for the car. However, I will not accept your broadly applied label based on your narrow definition.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would never consider buying any car that is not MT. I drive the rush hour traffic about 1 hour each way everyday and love my MT. When I was buying my 6MT, the dealer told me that acura only makes about 10% of their 3rd gen TL in MT and out of those, only about 2% of them had a Nav. It sucks that I live in So. Cal. and most So. Cal peeps don't know how to drive a MT or too lazy to learn because of the traffic congestion.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by darksom1
I think there are enough variables to warrant someone going the route of not driving a stick. Then after all of that is said and done, there is just the plain old issue of preference. Some people just would rather reach for a soda or the radio dial and just relax than have to pay attention to the gears. There is no end to this debate surely, because driver enthusiasts, like myself, are going to prefer the exhilirating feel of being in control of the experience, vs. the "just want to relax and look good" in the lap of luxury crowd.

For every reason you think of or I think of why you should drive a stick or why it is not "excusable" not to drive a stick, they have a reasonable counter in their opinion of the debate. So there will be no winner in this. Because really, I think this is just simply about preference. Everything else, in some form or fashion, fits underneath that umbrella.

But me personally...lol.
RIGHT - YOU seem to get it! I had a stick when I owned an Integra (back in the day) and practically swore I'd never own anything other than a MT on car...time and circumstances changed my OPINION.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by tonester
I would never consider buying any car that is not MT. I drive the rush hour traffic about 1 hour each way everyday and love my MT. When I was buying my 6MT, the dealer told me that acura only makes about 10% of their 3rd gen TL in MT and out of those, only about 2% of them had a Nav. It sucks that I live in So. Cal. and most So. Cal peeps don't know how to drive a MT or too lazy to learn because of the traffic congestion.
You know that's going to bring up another 3 pages don't you Tonester?

Bad Tonester! Bad Tonester! LOL!
Old 03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
gotta love flaim bait threads. Not gonna get involved with highschool level mentalities.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so glad I bought a manual transmission, even though i drive in las vegas daily in congested traffic about 20 miles each way from work, it doesnt really bother me. One thing with an auto is that i feel like i am constantly having to brake in congested traffic. Where with my manual i rarely have to brake just simply switch gears and then coast in that gear.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
nnInn

Car Talk
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

30+ years and counting
It's very easy if you want to drive - get MT, if you want to be like passenger - get AT.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by A-TLvic882
30+ years and counting
It's very easy if you want to drive - get MT, if you want to be like passenger - get AT.

So you've been driving since you were about 10-12yrs old?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
Not gonna get involved with highschool level mentalities.
Thanks for the compliment-- my wife usually says I act like a second grader...
By the way, there are so many more things you can do while driving an AT instead of a manual. For example, I can eat a doughnut and drink a coffee while talking on the phone in traffic...
And in SoCal, I have to have a hand free to reload the 9mm on the freeway.
OK, I'm done, as is this thread...
Somebody lock this before I post again...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
I love your spelling of the word "doughnut." You don't see that too often anymore. Props for that.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
gotta love flaim bait threads. Not gonna get involved with highschool level mentalities.
They feed the trolls here.... it's amazing this one is not locked up yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
So you've been driving since you were about 10-12yrs old?

yap, but not every day like now.

p.s. and i teach my kids too
Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ttribe
However, you are avoiding the crux of the argument - it's not about the definition. The word "lazy" implies something very negative when attached to the description of a person.
Whoa whoa. When did we have to start being PC about the word "lazy" There are too many words out there that people disliked having applied to them and now are taboo. The word fits what we're talking about.

There are alot of things in our wonderful modern world that make us Lazy if we use them. Remote controls, washing machines, etc. They're all designed to make life easier. And yes if we choose to use them we are being lazy in that particular aspect of our lives.

It doesn't make anyone a bad person, or even necessarily say anything about your character in general. So yes, I embrace the fact that I am lazy in certain aspects of my life. Just not my transmission choice.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 AM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

And I think we need a poll MT & AT for this thread not just car talk.