Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Peeling paint.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:31 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peeling paint.

Take a look at your '04 TL where the front bumper fascia meets the fenders on the sides and see if the paint on the fascia looks as though it was peeled back during installation. It would appear that the fascia may fit just a little to snuggly. Mine is in the shop now for a repaint, but the dealer tells me this isn't the first such repair he has performed. Quality control issues and fit and finish problems seem to plague this car. Between the squealing Brembos, absurd brake dust issues, rattles and creaks and the paint, I would be inclined to think I had just bought a Chevy Cavalier or Kia Rio. Not that I don't love the car, but when your spending $34k, quality is expected.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:35 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your spending money on a Honda or Acura, quality is expected.
Is the paint peeled back to the point you can see the black plastic?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Team WD Chaplain

I had this problem with the original paint and am now experiencing it with the repainted bumpers.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Testosterone1
Take a look at your '04 TL where the front bumper fascia meets the fenders on the sides and see if the paint on the fascia looks as though it was peeled back during installation. It would appear that the fascia may fit just a little to snuggly. Mine is in the shop now for a repaint, but the dealer tells me this isn't the first such repair he has performed. Quality control issues and fit and finish problems seem to plague this car. Between the squealing Brembos, absurd brake dust issues, rattles and creaks and the paint, I would be inclined to think I had just bought a Chevy Cavalier or Kia Rio. Not that I don't love the car, but when your spending $34k, quality is expected.
I certainly agree with you that peeling paint is not acceptable on a $34k automobile. However, perhaps you should have done more research before you chose the 6MT with Brembo brakes. My $53k Audi A6 had brakes that produced "absurd brake dust" and squealed like crazy, but I was told by the dealer this was normal due to the high-performance metallic pads. My BMW 330Ci also produced lots of brake dust. Check out the comments from owners of G35 Coupes as well over at Fresh Alloy. This isn't a defect... it's a trait. Don't blame Acura for this one.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts

Could you shoot some pics for us if possible? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
How the hell can you compare brake dust to peeling paint????

I've always had brake dust on my German cars (Audi/VW/BMW), but I REPLACED THE PADS. Problem solved. What - am I supposed to f'king paint the bumper in my backyard?

Come up with a logical comparison, nimrod.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:20 PM
9th Gear

What the hell are you talking about? Trying reading, *--hole! No one was comparing brake dust to peeling paint! Get a clue.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:34 PM
9th Gear

Hey [B]Lindros2, thanks for the warm welcome. You are quite the jerk there buddy. Not to mention you have no comprehension of the English language. No one was comparing peeling paint to brake dust, NIMROD!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Pro

Hey [B]Lindros2, thanks for the warm welcome. You are quite the jerk there buddy. Not to mention you have no comprehension of the English language. No one was comparing peeling paint to brake dust, NIMROD!
Hey, some people just get their jollies by responding like es. Don't let it get to you. With that said, by including brake dust, etc., along with peeling paint you essentially did compare them. In any case, welcome to the forum and hope you get your issues resolved!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Drifting

Guys watch your language. This is your one and only warning. Let's keep it clean, informative and mature. thanks.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Guys watch your language. This is your one and only warning. Let's keep it clean, informative and mature. thanks.
If you want to see language, maybe you should check out the "Amplifier or Not" thread. I'd say this is pretty tame.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

can you take a pic?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dseag2
If you want to see language, maybe you should check out the "Amplifier or Not" thread. I'd say this is pretty tame.
That's not the point.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Hey, some people just get their jollies by responding like es. Don't let it get to you. With that said, by including brake dust, etc., along with peeling paint you essentially did compare them. In any case, welcome to the forum and hope you get your issues resolved!
No he didn't he was speaking to the quality of the vehicle...sighting troubled areas that have been mentioned in the past. I don't see anything wrong with what he stated....easy for me to understand, but then again my IQ is higher than the Liters in my TL.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
SoCarioca!! :)

Mine peels on the tip of the hood

My TL's paint cracks and peels at the front edge of the hood.I don't even compain anymore.. This vehicle ( which for some reason Sade may explain) is the object of my Love, but I have had so many problems, many unresolved, that I became kind of dormant..

About the hot tempers, yes, it is innapropriate; yes, criticism doesn't need to be unpolite and yes, it is part of the skill set to be able to abstract certain people for the sake of a better environment.. Aggressive response? ok, be it. Maybe it will make the person feel better at the moment and he won't be like that anymore, or will simply feel bad for acting like that where everyone is just having a great time.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Instructor

please take a pic and let us see. also report back what the dealer says about this.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:44 AM
9th Gear

The car is at the dealer's for the repaint as of Monday, sorry, no pics of the peeling areas. It should be ready either today or tomorrow. And thanks to the rest of you for the support, I appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Team WD Chaplain

Here's a couple of pictures for you. Mind you these are "tiny" peelings, but shouldn't be occurring. It was happening on each side of the car. At least they matched! This was pre-repaint.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Cheap ass paint job. Look how thin that paint is. It just seems like Honda/Nissan paint doesn't stick to the damn primer.
I am also wandering if it has anything to do with the minor flexing of the bumper along the fenders (if there is any). The fit and finish might be so close that they rub causing the paint to peel off. In any rate I wouldn't live with that for one second.

Take it to the dealer and demand that it be fixed. I have had 4GM and 1Mopar all new and not one ever did something like that. Damn cheap import paint.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

You know, my TL has the peeling on both sides and peel on the len assembly meets the metal quarter panel. I am going to it repaint under warranty during first week of July. While I am there they also going to fix my trunk, the alignment is not level between left rear panel and right rear panel.

Stay tune.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

However, perhaps you should have done more research before you chose the 6MT with Brembo brakes.
Some of the Brembo's on the Volvo R's squealed. Volvo's solution was to develop a new compound for the pads and replace all four of them under warranty for anyone that had a problem. And the dust doesn't seem any worse than other cars I've had.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Advanced

I had the same problem on my front bumpers on both sides. Also i got 3 chips on my hood. Very poorly painted car and I have called Acura and waiting to see what they will do. Dealer says the chips are due to driving. I say it's due to a poor paint job. I love this car but this is crazy.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:32 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by flip_man
You know, my TL has the peeling on both sides and peel on the len assembly meets the metal quarter panel. I am going to it repaint under warranty during first week of July. While I am there they also going to fix my trunk, the alignment is not level between left rear panel and right rear panel.

Stay tune.
I didn't have any peeling of the paint (as far as I could tell) but I did have the body shop (who repainted my rear bumper due to a bump in it) adjust my trunk lid because the right side stuck out more than the left so there was a visible gap between where the trunk meets the tail lights.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:51 AM
Intermediate

I had the same problem with my ABP. Same explanation from the dealer, too snug of a bumper off the line. It was repainted flawlessly and without hassle.