Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Painting brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors

Hey guys, purchased brakemotives drilled/slotted rotors and before I install them I'd like to coat them black.. I haven't seen anyone do this which tells me it might not be a good idea. Is this possible to do? If so how would I go about doing so?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you wanting to coat the hub, where the rim sits against? or the actual rotor, where the pad gets depressed onto? If its the latter, I don't thing that would be a good idea personally... might create unnecessary friction, or even cause the rotor/pad to get super hot
Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rydjohnson
Are you wanting to coat the hub, where the rim sits against? or the actual rotor, where the pad gets depressed onto? If its the latter, I don't thing that would be a good idea personally... might create unnecessary friction, or even cause the rotor/pad to get super hot
The rotor. That's what I thought too..I never really see any black rotors I guess it's for good reason
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
a caliper uses clamping forces to "clamp" the brake pads against the rotor.
if you paint the rotor face itself, it might create a slick surface making the pads ineffective.
you will crash and die.
The following users liked this post:
Davidsternmustdie (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
you will crash and die.
Or this...
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
you dont want to be painting the friction surface of your brakes..
Old 09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Pads will eventually scrape the paint material off the rotor and you'll be left with a regular brake rotor again.

Why anyone would decide to paint an item that gets constantly wore due to surface to surface contact is beyond me.... Makes no sense at all.

Think about how many times you hit the brakes when you drive. Everytime you hit the brakes, your pads are pressing against the rotor and both the rotor and pads slowly deteriorate. Pads wear quicker than rotors, but the rotor still does wear out over time. Not only that, but think about how much heat is generated due to friction. I don't think the paint would hold up.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 09-21-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
You could paint the entire rotor, but it will only stay where the pad doesn't make contact.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
The zinc plating is actually a good base if you decide to put a high temp paint on the hubs, but as everyone else said, not on friction surface.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I had Brakemotive rotors on my Trailblazer SS, I painted the hat part with VHT caliper paint and it started to peel after a while, the zinc will keep it from rusting there, but obviously it gets worn off on the friction area and will rust in the rain but comes right off when you drive. I've heard of people just using plain old Rustoleum with good results, I might have had the VHT on too thick so it chipped easy when I removed the wheels.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah man I wouldn't paint them the brakemotive rotors are very resistant to rust I have had mine on for 4-5 months and not a spot of rust.

Question for brakemotive though: The weirdest thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, I was driving and all the sudden it felt like it had a flat tire. I got out of the car, no flat tire so then I checked all the tires for any movement making sure there weren't and loose lugs, ball joints or anything along those lines. There wasn't so I kept driving and eventually it just went away on its own which seemed very weird to me. The next week I was driving with my brother and all the sudden his car started doing the same thing, we were sure he had a flat so we did the same drill and it was like we were having the exact same problem. Then it hit me the only thing our cars have in common is brakemotive brakes. Is it possible for the brake to grab or something that would cause this sensation? It just seems way too coincidental. Just to be clear I am in no way complaining about your product because I love your brakes, I tell everyone I know who says they need new brakes to buy from you. But I am wondering if you have ever experienced anything like this in testing or feedback from drivers.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by joelmatt89
yeah man I wouldn't paint them the brakemotive rotors are very resistant to rust I have had mine on for 4-5 months and not a spot of rust.

Question for brakemotive though: The weirdest thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, I was driving and all the sudden it felt like it had a flat tire. I got out of the car, no flat tire so then I checked all the tires for any movement making sure there weren't and loose lugs, ball joints or anything along those lines. There wasn't so I kept driving and eventually it just went away on its own which seemed very weird to me. The next week I was driving with my brother and all the sudden his car started doing the same thing, we were sure he had a flat so we did the same drill and it was like we were having the exact same problem. Then it hit me the only thing our cars have in common is brakemotive brakes. Is it possible for the brake to grab or something that would cause this sensation? It just seems way too coincidental. Just to be clear I am in no way complaining about your product because I love your brakes, I tell everyone I know who says they need new brakes to buy from you. But I am wondering if you have ever experienced anything like this in testing or feedback from drivers.
That is very odd! To answer your question, no, this would be the first I've ever heard of this. I would take the wheel off and do a thorough inspection to eliminate any possibilities. Let us know what you find out!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I can't imagine paint lasting more than a couple times braking anyways. In fact if I wanted to paint the hubs, I'd probably not worry about over spray and just let the pads scrape the excess off.