Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Mismatch on Bumpers (WDP)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Paint Mismatch on Bumpers (WDP)

Well I too fell victim to this horrible defect. My front and rear bumpers are a shade darker than the fenders and rear quarters. I spoke to the sales manager last week when i bought my 08 MDX and told him (boldly) that since i'm a repeat customer spending all this money, I want to know what they will do about my bumpers. They asked me to bring the car in so they can see it.

My question is, before I take this car in and raise a stink about the mismatched paint, I was hoping I could get some comments from our members on this issue. Have any of you addressed this issue with your dealer? What was the outcome? Am I chasing a dream here?

If they are willing to repaint under warranty, do you think I'd be pushing my luck if i suggested to pay them for labor to swap out the bumpers for a full RJ kit (which I will purchase) and ask them to paint that instead?

Your thoughts are very welcome...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Welcome, but so you know, WDP is stock mismatched...

The bumpers ARE a different yellower (even darker) shade than the body. I have WDP, trust me on this. Bumpers have a non-metallic coat so the paint can adhere to the flexible composition of a bumper.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
haha..you're pushing your luck on that. no dealership would repaint aftermarket bumpers for you under warranty.

but, you'll probably get a matching paint with RJ kit instead.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
almost every wdp has the same problem, i dont think the dealer will fix it for u, but u can try. i would just deal with it like a lot of the people on here do. this is my second wdp tl, i had an 04 and now an 08. i have had the same problem on both, the 04, both bumpers didnt match and on my 08, the rear doesnt match. its not a big deal
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
they might repaint it if it is bad enough mismatch. If you want to be sneaky and the dealership uses an off-site collision center, you can stick the RJ bumpers on and have them paint those, OR go to the bodyshop where it is to be painted, give the guy painting it a 20 and later for the labor for fitting and such and say "paint these bumpers instead and i'll pay you for the labor too"
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hah! That's crazy enough to work

I think I'll get them to agree to repaint the stock bumpers. I have a good relationship with Rick Case Acura in Sunrise, FL. I'm just trying to get a free paint job on my RJ kit

On another note, if this quest turns out to be a failure, would it be a bad idea to buy the RJ kit pre-painted? Have any RJ kit owners bought theirs pre-painted with much luck?? I'm afraid shipping might cause the bumpers/skirts to flex and chip or crack the paint.

Sigh... I just can't justify the cost of $1800 for the kit and then having to pay another $600-700 to paint it.

Ron, where you at, Dog?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
get your RJ kit painted locally to match the rest of your car.
get a good bodyshop to do it. they can match it nicely.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Jokerman

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Trew
Hah! That's crazy enough to work

I think I'll get them to agree to repaint the stock bumpers. I have a good relationship with Rick Case Acura in Sunrise, FL. I'm just trying to get a free paint job on my RJ kit

On another note, if this quest turns out to be a failure, would it be a bad idea to buy the RJ kit pre-painted? Have any RJ kit owners bought theirs pre-painted with much luck?? I'm afraid shipping might cause the bumpers/skirts to flex and chip or crack the paint.

Sigh... I just can't justify the cost of $1800 for the kit and then having to pay another $600-700 to paint it.

Ron, where you at, Dog?
Rick case is a good dealer and it seems like they actually care about the customers. The two things i needed to get done within days of buying my car they had no problem fixing it. Now i bought the car is S. Florida and took it up to VA. In Hampton Roads area Hall Acura is a good place to go. But back to Rick Case, they should have no problem helping you out, especially since you have a good relationship with them.