Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint chippin / Clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint chippin / Clear bra

I got my 05 TL at the end of Feb. and my front bumper's paint is peeling like crazy. I researched Clear Bra by 3M and found a dealer in my area, i also went back to where i brought my car and told them they needed to repaint my bumper before i get my clear bra on, the manager lookin at my car peeled back 2 one inch sections of paint and the look on his face was priceless. Anyone have any bad luck with their paint job and how the 3m clear bra is?? I saw a few pics of the clear bra and noticed a faint line for the hood, after complaining about the line the guy said he'll do the entire hood for another 50 bucks, yay no visible clear bra line, can't wait...
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this: 3M Clear Bra Test. If you're gonna do the hood, what about the fender areas? You'll still be able to see the "line" on that part? For the hood, he'll probably have to use an uncut sheet instead of precut patterns. That's a lot of area to be working with. Just be aware that he will have to trim excess with utility knife/balde. The front end should be just fine with the precut material. Post some pix after the install.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I have the clear bra on my 05 TL and yeah you can see a line, but you dont really notice it, if you ask me. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

That test is a cool site, i was AMAZED to see the results. The bumper will be covered in full, i'll need to deal with the fenders having a line but since those are smaller then the hood i should be good with it. I'll definitly post pics and my experience.

plastikman - awesome i'm glad to hear someone else has it and does not have a problem. I'm meeting with the installer tomorrow for him to show in detail what he's doing and to see the product.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Luv my TL

clear bra is the best investment on your TL!!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
A long, excellent thread on clear bra installation. My pics are on page 3. XPditor's install is most of the thread and he has great pictures as well.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86629
Old 06-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Racer

I've had a clear bra on my last few cars and I put it on my new TL immediately. I have WDP and you can hardly see it at all. On darker colors, you'll see a line much easier than white or silver.

One thing though... make sure you tell the clear bra people and the manufacturer of the cut... stongard, xpel, etc... that your bumper is repainted. Some of them say they won't warranty a repainted (non-factory) paint.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Dad is about to invest in the clear bra because his TL's front end is a disaster. How much did it cost you to repaint the bumper?? Hopefully it won't cost too much...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sclass88
My Dad is about to invest in the clear bra because his TL's front end is a disaster. How much did it cost you to repaint the bumper?? Hopefully it won't cost too much...
is the paint peeling?? the front of mine is peeling like crazy (i'm going to post a pic tomorrow). I went back to the dealer and complained and they're going back to acura to find out if they are allowed to repaint it for free. I'll let you know how the dealership goes.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:27 PM
I6

I have paint peeling on my front bumper also. Right where the headlight meets the bumper. I also have a clear bra on my bumper. Got an oil change tomorrow and I'm gonna see what they can do about it. The clear bra needs to be removed in order to repaint. Hopefully they will pay for another clear bra.
Probably gonna say that the clear bra caused it or a rock hit it.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive2380
I got my 05 TL at the end of Feb. and my front bumper's paint is peeling like crazy. I researched Clear Bra by 3M and found a dealer in my area, i also went back to where i brought my car and told them they needed to repaint my bumper before i get my clear bra on, the manager lookin at my car peeled back 2 one inch sections of paint and the look on his face was priceless. Anyone have any bad luck with their paint job and how the 3m clear bra is?? I saw a few pics of the clear bra and noticed a faint line for the hood, after complaining about the line the guy said he'll do the entire hood for another 50 bucks, yay no visible clear bra line, can't wait...
50 bucks for the whole hood sounds good to me. I have considered getting one for my car too. I wonder how much would it be to do that entire car!

From what I head the clear bra is great.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had 3 tls and they have all had bad paint jobs. The one I kept for 83,000 miles had the front bumper painted twice. Get the clear bra you will not regret it... But, get it before you pick the car up or drive it that many miles.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

woooooo i just got a call from the dealer, they said Acura has authorized them to replace the bumper and re-paint it. Parts on order now, pretty soon no more ghetto-ness from my peeling paint
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Why on earth is the clear bra pre-cut to not fit the entire hood - this makes no sense to me.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Why on earth is the clear bra pre-cut to not fit the entire hood - this makes no sense to me.
The concept of Paint Protection Film was to protect the front of the vehicle the same way the nose masks were designed and has become a viable option. Most of the damage from rocks and road debris is on the front end and nose of the hood. Those nose masks covered approx 18-24 inches of the hood and the entire front end. PPF has similar coverage and does not have the problems of nose masks such as correct fit, vibrating at speeds and can scratch the area it protects. Pre cut PPF allows for easier installs and better fit without additional trimming and cutting. It will be interesting to see the entire hood covered with PPF.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

i have this chipping problem too, but I'm also trying to keep things relatively under budget. i was given a $350 estimate(dealership) to redo the front end paint, and if you add that plus the $400+(?) clear bra application, well, that is some pretty hefty pricing.

so here is my heretic question - is purchasing a nose mask truly that bad of an option? what are the goods? what are the bads? is there another option i haven't considered?

thanks, Tee
Old 06-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

if you were quoted 400 for PPF that's an amazing deal. to do my entire bumper, 1/2 the food and fenders my soultion after install is $934.00.

how do your paint chipping look? like rocks hit it or like it's peeling off? if it's peeling go to the dealer and complain until they repaint it for you for free.

the good thing about PPF is that it wont be noticed so your car will still look nice, and no rocks or anything can get under neath it to scratch it up. plus you dont have to take it off and wash under it every now and then
Old 06-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

Tee, nose masks for the most part were designed to protect your front end. However it's also a PITA to remove and and reinstall especially if you wash weekly. During the rainy season, you'll have to remove it to dry it out. It may also damage your finish from the constant removal and reinstallation. Small debris can get trapped under it if left on for a period of time. Initial fit may be tight and will loosen up after continual use. Once broken in, you may feel fluttering or vibration at speeds. At times you may have to slam your hood to lock it.

Originally, I was set to get a bra but after reading about Paint Protection Film (PPF), I was sold on it. I treat it like it wasn't there; wash, clay, and wax. The bugs on the front easliy wash off and it looks like nothing ever hit it. The initial cost may be pricey, but in the long run it pays for itself. Basically, what it comes down to is a personal choice. As for options to protecting the front end, I can't think of any others. And no, it's not that bad of an option. There are several folks who have nose masks on their TL. BTW, one of the best nose masks on the market is manufactured by Colgan. Good Luck on your decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Anybody know of a good dealer in the bay area that does these things?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by elee712
Anybody know of a good dealer in the bay area that does these things?
PM Invisiguard or email Jeremy .... he did installs for a number of AZ members in the Bay area. He's out of Santa Rosa and is mobile. Check it out.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Hawhyen51

Thanks for the very informative response and honest opinion. I will think all of this over, but at least for now I have the best of both worlds to pick from - Clearbra or Colgan. It doesn't rain just a whole lot here in Dallas and I've heard about the debris thing. Definitely gives me something to think about.

Skydive

This is the peeling issue. No such luck from the used car dealer on repainting, since he sold it to me as is(i was told later by the Acura dealership that the paint on the front bumper was unfinished by the other guy ). I'm not sure if the Acura dealership will work with me on doing it - is it 5 years or 50k whichever comes first, or five years? I have 63k on my baby.

Thanks everyone, Tee