Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Own a TL, but still living at home with parents

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TallDarknFugly
It's not about stifling kids with burdens. Lord knows nobody forces me to do what I do. It's a sense of obligation and LOVE for family. I realised a long time ago that I was better off with an empty stomach and peaceful mind than with a full stomach and worrisome mind. I worry about my fam having the best, food on the table and the whole shebang. I could be in paradise surrounded by all the good things in life but I could hardly enjoy it knowing what mine are going thru.
I think we understand each other completely....you just hadnt had a chance to read my comment first that I posted after you did. Its all in where you come from and your background. Poor people care more in most cases...thats just a fact. When I was younger....I dated both rich and poor....and was always amazed how much more grounded the poor was and how more family oriented they were. Something I was always envious of. Dont get me wrong...my peeps would be there if the shit hit the fan...but till then....they wouldnt even know, and thats a fact....more of a reactionary thing than a way of daily looking at life. They do the right thing when it comes down to it...just dont look out like you are mentioning. Again...dont take it personally man...I have the utmost respect for your situation....but that does not stop me from telling the dude what he asked about. And no...that doesnt make my view right by any means.....just typical American Bullshit! I mean...its a staple in our society!!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
Culture plays a huge part into this. Asians, for the most part, always live w/ their parents. (or actually their parents live w/ them.) My grandparents live w/ either my uncles or at my parents. To me, it just seems as if asian parents work for their kids. They will provide them w/ the money they need, for school, for cars, for college, for a house, etc. etc. until they are too old to work. Hopefully, by that time, their children are grown up and working etc. Then it's the children's turn to take care of the parents.

In my case, my parents (and grandparents, actually) have paid for almost everything (except my clothes and any of my hobbies), regardless of whether i ask for it or not. When they moved to Las Vegas last year, instead of me living on campus at school, they bought a townhouse for me, so that I could keep residency (and so that my sister would have a place to stay during her winter/spring breaks). I actually didn't know that I was getting a house until about 2 weeks before they moved. Of course, im' grateful that they did such a thing, but it also makes me want to work hard so that I could provide them w/ everything they'd need when they retire/grow old.

Thus, i don't think that being 29 and living at home is a horrible thing. As Platano said, culture could play into this.
Very good point here...but I guess we are all answering based on our cultural backgrounds...which can often times differ. Good point!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Not disagreeing with you whatsoever....but buddy...I think you missed the first post here...and it wasnt about YOU...so dont get upset at peoples opinions that were solicited by the original poster. He asked for input...and he got input...for whatever its worth. You make a good point....and one that I am honestly....somewhat jealous of myself...cause I will never attain the success in life comparatively as an immigrant in the US that just came here and is building from scratch....hows them cookies buddy! The person you describe will by FAR attain WAY more success than any typical American if they apply themselves. I mean...come from $200 to a nice family and a house, ect later in life....then compare that to coming from money and getting and education on dad...lets say....they will NEVER attain the level of success COMPARATIVELY to from where they started from. I watch these Mexican families come into our town...and yes...they are friggin dirt poor in many cases...but I can tell you they are rich in family, rich in perspective to where they started. I love to see them make the little successes in life as they climb the American ladder and wonder what it would be like to be that happy with myself for accomplishing something I take for granted in my life due to where I came from. See....its not always so great coming from money. Skews the view in many cases.....unless you have had it and lost it and came back again.....that kind of shakes em up!
Nah, I was generally speaking coss I've had to deal with such P.O.V's offline and I dont live with my parents. I live with a friend who owns his own home despite being of the same sort of background I have. In his case, he has nobody to support so he has nothing holding him back. It' s all about condition. My people have a saying "Condition do make crayfish bend" Pretty much meanig, it's the shape of the tin can that makes the sardine bend. I actually got called an idiot by an associate for sending so much of my paycheck home. Different cultures. The dummy in question doesn't support anybody yet has nothing to show for himself. I just feel like everybody has their own vice. Everybody earns a right to get what They want... spoil themselves. I had my second thoughts but I'm glad I got the TL cos the money woulda been spent on something else either way....... something that wouldn't have been for me. For once I did something for myself and it feels so goooooooooood........ My fam actually pleaded with me to get it tho. Cos under normal circumstances I woulda felt guilty.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, I'm 56, I've got a 24 year old daughter who just got her masters degree and just started working on Monday.

She doesn't have the tl I do, but I have absolutely no problems with her living at home. Her job is 5 mins from my house, I see no reason for her to go rent a place, when she can stay here and save her money for whatever she wants to do with it. All my wife and I ask of her is that if she's coming home late or staying over a friend's to call and let us know, that's it.

I was on my own at 21, mother died when I was 14, father when I was 21. Came out of the service and was on my own. No money, no job, nothing.

She can live with us as long as she wants.

Dave
Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarcus48
Hey guys, I'm 56, I've got a 24 year old daughter who just got her masters degree and just started working on Monday.
Originally Posted by dmarcus48

She doesn't have the tl I do, but I have absolutely no problems with her living at home. Her job is 5 mins from my house, I see no reason for her to go rent a place, when she can stay here and save her money for whatever she wants to do with it. All my wife and I ask of her is that if she's coming home late or staying over a friend's to call and let us know, that's it.

I was on my own at 21, mother died when I was 14, father when I was 21. Came out of the service and was on my own. No money, no job, nothing.

She can live with us as long as she wants.

Dave

You're a good man

Culture plays a huge part into this. Asians, for the most part, always live w/ their parents. (or actually their parents live w/ them.) My grandparents live w/ either my uncles or at my parents. To me, it just seems as if asian parents work for their kids. They will provide them w/ the money they need, for school, for cars, for college, for a house, etc. etc. until they are too old to work. Hopefully, by that time, their children are grown up and working etc. Then it's the children's turn to take care of the parents.

In my case, my parents (and grandparents, actually) have paid for almost everything (except my clothes and any of my hobbies), regardless of whether i ask for it or not. When they moved to Las Vegas last year, instead of me living on campus at school, they bought a townhouse for me, so that I could keep residency (and so that my sister would have a place to stay during her winter/spring breaks). I actually didn't know that I was getting a house until about 2 weeks before they moved. Of course, im' grateful that they did such a thing, but it also makes me want to work hard so that I could provide them w/ everything they'd need when they retire/grow old.

Thus, i don't think that being 29 and living at home is a horrible thing. As Platano said, culture could play into this.

I'll second this comment. Family plays a huge role and is very important to Asian cultures. It is therefore not unusual for several generations to live under one roof. Furthermore, you will often find that children will take their parents in as they become older, in order to care for and watch over them in their golden years; This can be seen as an act of gratitude for all the years guidance, love, and support that the parents have provided the children through out the years.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by TallDarknFugly
Nah, I was generally speaking coss I've had to deal with such P.O.V's offline and I dont live with my parents. I live with a friend who owns his own home despite being of the same sort of background I have. In his case, he has nobody to support so he has nothing holding him back. It' s all about condition. My people have a saying "Condition do make crayfish bend" Pretty much meanig, it's the shape of the tin can that makes the sardine bend. I actually got called an idiot by an associate for sending so much of my paycheck home. Different cultures. The dummy in question doesn't support anybody yet has nothing to show for himself. I just feel like everybody has their own vice. Everybody earns a right to get what They want... spoil themselves. I had my second thoughts but I'm glad I got the TL cos the money woulda been spent on something else either way....... something that wouldn't have been for me. For once I did something for myself and it feels so goooooooooood........ My fam actually pleaded with me to get it tho. Cos under normal circumstances I woulda felt guilty.
Thats cool man! You are a good guy with great character...I can tell! Wish I had you as a neighbor!!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
I'll second this comment. Family plays a huge role and is very important to Asian cultures. It is therefore not unusual for several generations to live under one roof. Furthermore, you will often find that children will take their parents in as they become older, in order to care for and watch over them in their golden years; This can be seen as an act of gratitude for all the years guidance, love, and support that the parents have provided the children through out the years.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Culture plays a huge part into this. Asians, for the most part, always live w/ their parents. (or actually their parents live w/ them.) ... Of course, im' grateful that they did such a thing, but it also makes me want to work hard so that I could provide them w/ everything they'd need when they retire/grow old.
Ditto...

My parents were Chinese immigrants and wanted me to live with them at home in NoCal even after I got a job - as a lawyer at 25! I couldn't do that, though, because I got job offers only in SoCal. They bought me (used) cars during my high school and law school years and didn't want me to take part-time and summer jobs (that I took to finance part of college) as they wanted me to spend the time studying instead. My parents also helped with college, law school, wedding and buying a house, etc.
My then-fiancee (Chinese also) was living with her parents until we got married, although she was working two full time jobs simultaneously and paying the mortgage in her late 20s.
Boy, we owe our parents a lot...
Old 07-05-2006, 07:38 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Thats pretty much dead on
Old 07-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Ditto...

My parents were Chinese immigrants and wanted me to live with them at home in NoCal even after I got a job - as a lawyer at 25! I couldn't do that, though, because I got job offers only in SoCal. They bought me (used) cars during my high school and law school years and didn't want me to take part-time and summer jobs (that I took to finance part of college) as they wanted me to spend the time studying instead. My parents also helped with college, law school, wedding and buying a house, etc.
My then-fiancee (Chinese also) was living with her parents until we got married, although she was working two full time jobs simultaneously and paying the mortgage in her late 20s.
Boy, we owe our parents a lot...
hahah yeah we do. My dad is at that "mid-life crisis" point in life, and really wants a sports car. I told him, "hey dad, since you already bought me a house, AND for part of my car, how bout you wait another 6-8 years for me to finish med schoo/residency/etc, and then i'll buy you a car w/ my 1st year's paycheck"
His response: "by the time i wait that long, i'll be out of this crisis. Why couldn't you have graduated med school by 23 like mom's cousin did!" <--- what a wise guy
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Instructor

I bought my own 06 TL. Im in 20, living at home, working fulltime, and going to school part time.. Looking at buying a place with a buddy pretty soon. So dont bash all young guys who spend all their money on their ride
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
My dad is at that "mid-life crisis" point in life, and really wants a sports car.
I got my dad a new car a couple of years after I started working-- a Toyota Camry... instead of a BMW 3 series... He was a senior citizen then, didn't want any sports car and I didn't want him spending time waiting in BMW service bays all the time.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
05 TL

I lived with my parents for about a year... Okay 14 months after I got out of college. I felt it was silly to pay for an apartment... Some of my co-workers laughed at me; but then they didnt see it as a really bad thing. I got my finances in order (after being in college for 7 years) and having that special one to move in with I got out.

I really like my parents, we get along great... I valued the time I was there, and honestly kinda regret not seeing them every day.

To each his own.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Racer

trini? as in trinidadian?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
How about we flip the script a little?

I'm 56, my mom lived with us for 14 years until she died a few years ago. Worked out pretty well most of the time. It was my wifes idea and made things easier on mom financially. We do wish she was still here!

My mother raised two sons by herself working at clerical jobs that didn't pay very well. She got a part time job to help keep me in college. Once we got past the fact that we didn't appreciate help and untimely advice about raising our child, it was all good.

Our son is a 33 year old employed musician. If necessary, I'll pay to help him have a different address, YMMV. It may be cultural, I'm African-American.

Everybody's situation is different. I think the TL is a luxury, when I lived at home at 20, I drove used cars. Times have changed.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Instructor

hahaha...I have a 2003 Tl type S and live with my parents...but I'm 18 and a full time student.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 AM
UT Longhorn

you're 29 and you still live at home? maybe you do need to get your priorities straight.

i still live at home but i'm 20 and i'm still in college.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Cruising in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 22 and I still have a couple years of school left then I might take chiropractic school in Toronto or in the US so I suppose I will move out then since thats another 4 years of school (8 years of post secondary :S)... as long as I know I won't be dependant on my parents for more than a few more years I'm ok. But right now I don't have a problem with it. I work for the family business too and my mom makes good food so how can you oppose that!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
The Boss

When you are on a date, it's very unattractive to bring your date home to where your parents live. It is also hard to get "lucky" that night since you might be afraid to wake them up while you
When I was younger, driving luxury cars like the Acura TL never crossed my mind. It was just too expensive for me during the high school and college years. So instead, I bought used cars and 2nd~3rd handed mustang 5.0s....I even went to police auctions and got myself a Police packaged Chevy Caprice and drove that thing through out college. I saved up alot of money that way, as soon as I graduated I moved out at the age of 21 and got myself a house. The thought of renting and money down the drain never crossed my mind. Because I avoid the PMI by putting down about 20% for the house, I was once again poor. A few years goes by and some serious saving, I was able to get myself a nice car like this 3G-TL in 2004. Today, my car is nearly paid off.... along with a nice house... I am happy.

I have always felt that it's fairly pointless to drive really expensive or nice cars when you don't have equity (house). In the end, say... 5 years down the road, the car that you once thought was great and awesome would be old and crappy. So for me, House always came first before cars....
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
There is also a factor you guys didn't notice was his culture. Most caribbeans tend to stay at home because the parents expect that. Caribbean families are more tight knit than your average American family. In the Trini/Caribbean Community him being 30 and living at home is not an issue. I have several friends & cousins ( Dominican ) my age that still live at home, just to be close to mom and make sure she is taken care of.
That is a good point. My wife/inlaws are South American and that seems to be commonplace. Only the wife's grandmother lives with us (and she is never in the way) but we used to have her uncles, aunts and cousins living with us for a while. OT: Whenever I make family plans for the wife and kids, the inlaws get upset when I do not include them....which is TDB!!!

I was on my own IMMEDIATELY after college. With my kids (now teens) I have no problem with them living with us as long as they are in school (be it undergrad or post grad) and single. But once marriage enters the equation, they need to work on moving on.

As much as I love my parents, I would need to be in dire straits in order to move back in with them. Even then, I would sell my cars (read: carless), nail down a condo and just use public transit for a while (benefit of being in the NYC area)....until I am back on my feet. At 38, living w/parents is just not an option for me.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I still live with my dad, but he's gone most of the time. He is a NASCAR driver. That's the good news. The bad news is that I don't get along well with my grandfather and grandmother who live here too. I'm seriously thinking of moving, but I don't make much as a mop salesman. Oh yeah, in case you're wondering how I can afford to own a TL, my son, the doctor (who also lives here) bought it for me for my 75th birthday. He's a great kid and for Christmas he's going to help me mod the car. We've been arguing because I want to tint all the windows and he objects because my vision is deteriorating.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by geezer31
I still live with my dad, but he's gone most of the time. He is a NASCAR driver. That's the good news. The bad news is that I don't get along well with my grandfather and grandmother who live here too. I'm seriously thinking of moving, but I don't make much as a mop salesman. Oh yeah, in case you're wondering how I can afford to own a TL, my son, the doctor (who also lives here) bought it for me for my 75th birthday. He's a great kid and for Christmas he's going to help me mod the car. We've been arguing because I want to tint all the windows and he objects because my vision is deteriorating.

Your grandparents would have to be the oldest people in the world.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Shift_faster

Uh...if you weren't being funny...
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Advanced

LOL a 90 year old (or there abouts) NASCAR driver!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Race Director

We've got a comedian here folks!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
We've got a comedian here folks!

That or someone who is dillusional!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Desi TL Limo

Thread starter should have put their background in the first post. I'm south Asian, am 28 and still live at home (our home, parents and I). I've been paying most of the bills here since I was 20, came out of school to go part time and work full time to help the rest of my family out, similar to a poster here from FL. My dad had a heartattack and we were told he cannot bear stress, otherwise could happen again and prove to be fatal. That is when I decided I would contribute whatever I could.

Extended families are the cultural norm and expected from where I originally come from. I have no issues with this. I am married and although I value my culture, left it to my wife to decide when we got married to see how we can live as an extended family (if there are problems then we move out). Luckily it worked out and she loves my parents. We both have a son and who better to watch him and rear him then your own parents? Sure beats the cost of a sitter too.

I want to take care of them for all the sacrifices they have made for me.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorontoR
Thread starter should have put their background in the first post. I'm south Asian, am 28 and still live at home (our home, parents and I). I've been paying most of the bills here since I was 20, came out of school to go part time and work full time to help the rest of my family out, similar to a poster here from FL. My dad had a heartattack and we were told he cannot bear stress, otherwise could happen again and prove to be fatal. That is when I decided I would contribute whatever I could.

Extended families are the cultural norm and expected from where I originally come from. I have no issues with this. I am married and although I value my culture, left it to my wife to decide when we got married to see how we can live as an extended family (if there are problems then we move out). Luckily it worked out and she loves my parents. We both have a son and who better to watch him and rear him then your own parents? Sure beats the cost of a sitter too.

There is one heck of an unselfish way of thinking; I give you a lot of credit!!!
Probably one of the problems we Americans face as we become more and more buried into a social state...if we’d just take care of our own.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TorontoR

This thread is likely not intended as an affront to people in your type of situation. In your case, your reason(s) for still living at home with your parents are quite honorable.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts
I just turn 32. Rented a condo for almost 2 years now. Just got divorced last year. Brought a new TL last year. Just brought a Honda CBR 600RR used though. Have 1 outstanding credit card to pay, gas bill, electric bill, cable, phone, cell, health insurance, auto insurance (2). So yes kind of have a heavy burden on my plate. Parent asked me to move back but I refuse because I used to depend on them before but now getting more mature and getting older means more responsibility and be very independent. Yes...i have some scarfices that I have to commit to. That is how life is.....
Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Team Athracite Physician

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Totally agree, but if you younger guys use your car to get girls then you're a loser as well. In additionl you're not going to want a girl who is with you because of your car.
Anybody with a job can lease a TL, so just because you have a TL doesn't mean you made it in life. Without your parents, you'd be living in your trunk.

If I was at home at 30, I would have slit my wrists.

I lived at home until I went to college (age 17)
I came back home senior year of college (20) and lived at home again for 3 years
I lived on my own for the first 2 years of medical school (23-25)
I have been living at home for the past 5 years (25-30).

As an intern I made about $1900 per month after taxes. There is no way in hell I could have leased a TL and support my needs as an intern (this coming from a person who goes to the movies maybe 2x per year).

My parents are Indian and as much as they drive me nuts, I still make the conscious choice to stay at home. With starter homes in SoCal costing $600K, there is no way a $35K TL would impact my ability to buy a house.

Now that i finished residency I'll finally make more than minimum wage - hopefully 6 digits by the end of the year. Unless I find Mrs Right I'll probably still end up at home while I save $500K for my medical office. Oh the horror of debt - I'm already $220K in the hole.

Pretty much every medical student/intern I know who isn't married is "forced" to live at home. Don't tell these people to "get a real job" - they'll have no problem putting a 8.0 ET down
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Went to undergrad and med school in the DC area. Lived @ home for last year or so of medical school (Parents live in the DC area) but drove a 93 Ford Probe. Now working in TX and drive an 05 TL. I agree there are extenuating circumstances for living at home that I can't knock especially if it relates to family issues. I guess if I stayed in the DC area to work I would have gone from home the 1st yr or so to save money (housing is ridiculously expensive) but I'd be still driving my 93 Probe. However, if there no extenuating family circumstances, someone living at home approaching 30 should not be driving a 30K+ car, IMO.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Yeah right buddy a 90 something year old NASCAR driving dad and 100 something grand parents.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Back to the original poster... my opinion is that, regardless of your culture or your reasons for living at home, you have your priorities backwards. Buy a house first, THEN later on when you can afford it, go out and get a nice car if you want. Even if you're going to stay at home to take care of your parents, invest in a house and rent it out or something.

I know SO many people that "missed the boat" on the real estate market and now can't afford a home at current prices. They made bad choices with their money when they could have jumped into the housing market. Now it's too late. There's no better way to ensure your future financial stability then to get a house and a piece of land now.

Cars are a luxury, and an expensive one at that. The TL kicks major a**, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth sacrificing other more important things for.

By the way, if you're waiting for that special someone to come along and convince you to move out, good luck! As other posters have said, most American women are NOT COOL with 30 year old men living at home. You're going to have a really hard time.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned a house since I was 21, that was first on my to do list, I was still driving the truck I had in high school. I haven’t graduated from college as of yet (should this coming spring). I have always worked at least one full time job. I am currently working 2 full time jobs. I will be starting back to school in the fall full time. So it will be 1 full time job, 1 part time job and school full time.

Remaining at home to save money for your own house is a good thing, as rent is a good way to piss away money (as my grandmother puts it). Its as bad as leasing a car. When the lease is up on the apartment or the car you have nothing to show for it. Just my thought. But at a certain point, you have to move out, when your parents become your roommates (if you have seen Grandma Boy, you get a great visual) and not your parents, then there is a problem. Not to mention, when you do bring a girl/guy home, its kind of awkward to have the old parental units in the same house while you are trying to get your grove on!!

But if you are not contributing to the payment of the house, and just smooching off of your parents, then that is pretty lame. This is in general and not focused at the original poster.

If your parents are ill or disabled, then it is fair to remain at home, but should be looking for a way for them to either be taken care of professionally (skilled nursing home, or a at home nurse). Its great that you have taken care of your parents, but there is a time in your life that you need to live your own life. I know this sounds harsh, but one cannot reamin at home and plan on living out there own life.

Its great to have a nice car, no matter what that car is, but it is only a car. There is a great feeling in owning your own home, as anyone on here that does will tell you. Most of us complain about the bills that go along with it, but its still nice to go home to your own house.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by colossus
I lived at home until I went to college (age 17)
I came back home senior year of college (20) and lived at home again for 3 years
I lived on my own for the first 2 years of medical school (23-25)
I have been living at home for the past 5 years (25-30).

As an intern I made about $1900 per month after taxes. There is no way in hell I could have leased a TL and support my needs as an intern (this coming from a person who goes to the movies maybe 2x per year).

My parents are Indian and as much as they drive me nuts, I still make the conscious choice to stay at home. With starter homes in SoCal costing $600K, there is no way a $35K TL would impact my ability to buy a house.

Now that i finished residency I'll finally make more than minimum wage - hopefully 6 digits by the end of the year. Unless I find Mrs Right I'll probably still end up at home while I save $500K for my medical office. Oh the horror of debt - I'm already $220K in the hole.

Pretty much every medical student/intern I know who isn't married is "forced" to live at home. Don't tell these people to "get a real job" - they'll have no problem putting a 8.0 ET down
That scenario is reason #1 why I told my teen children to major in Finance/Economics/Accounting (like their parents) when the enter college. I have heard horror stories such as yours time & time again.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redman042
Back to the original poster... my opinion is that, regardless of your culture or your reasons for living at home, you have your priorities backwards. Buy a house first, THEN later on when you can afford it, go out and get a nice car if you want. Even if you're going to stay at home to take care of your parents, invest in a house and rent it out or something.

I know SO many people that "missed the boat" on the real estate market and now can't afford a home at current prices. They made bad choices with their money when they could have jumped into the housing market. Now it's too late. There's no better way to ensure your future financial stability then to get a house and a piece of land now.

Cars are a luxury, and an expensive one at that. The TL kicks major a**, don't get me wrong, but it's not worth sacrificing other more important things for.

By the way, if you're waiting for that special someone to come along and convince you to move out, good luck! As other posters have said, most American women are NOT COOL with 30 year old men living at home. You're going to have a really hard time.
You believe that I have my priorities backwards, but I disagree now reading through this entire thread. From around 22 or 23 years old, I've been taking care of my parents and things around the home and never really did anything for myself. My last car, integra had about 170,000 miles on it so I figured it's about time to get rid of it. I'm the kinda of guy to use something until it pretty much can't be used anymore. So this TL will be my car for as long as it lasts. I thought to myself, why not treat yourself to something nice for all my hard work. I hear you when you say invest in a house and that's definitely on my agenda, but the car situation had to be dealt with ASAP. I wasn't going to pay over $3000.00 to fix a car that's not even worth that much.

Also, the point about American women not being cool w/ a 30 year old living at home is not quite accurate because it's more like my parents are my roomates. Besides, I'm not too interested in American women. Not to say anything bad about them, but the ones I've encountered don't seem to be as grounded as women from the Caribbean.

I appreciate all inputs gathered thus far and still welcome more.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I have owned a house since I was 21, that was first on my to do list, I was still driving the truck I had in high school. I haven’t graduated from college as of yet (should this coming spring). I have always worked at least one full time job. I am currently working 2 full time jobs. I will be starting back to school in the fall full time. So it will be 1 full time job, 1 part time job and school full time.

Remaining at home to save money for your own house is a good thing, as rent is a good way to piss away money (as my grandmother puts it). Its as bad as leasing a car. When the lease is up on the apartment or the car you have nothing to show for it. Just my thought. But at a certain point, you have to move out, when your parents become your roommates (if you have seen Grandma Boy, you get a great visual) and not your parents, then there is a problem. Not to mention, when you do bring a girl/guy home, its kind of awkward to have the old parental units in the same house while you are trying to get your grove on!!

But if you are not contributing to the payment of the house, and just smooching off of your parents, then that is pretty lame. This is in general and not focused at the original poster.

If your parents are ill or disabled, then it is fair to remain at home, but should be looking for a way for them to either be taken care of professionally (skilled nursing home, or a at home nurse). Its great that you have taken care of your parents, but there is a time in your life that you need to live your own life. I know this sounds harsh, but one cannot reamin at home and plan on living out there own life.

Its great to have a nice car, no matter what that car is, but it is only a car. There is a great feeling in owning your own home, as anyone on here that does will tell you. Most of us complain about the bills that go along with it, but its still nice to go home to your own house.
I believe everyone who posted in this thread in a similar situation that I am in, including me, fully understands that. Nothing last forever!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

This thread is really turning into a Ramblings thread.

This no longer has anything to do with the 3G TL. I think everyone has said what they want to say.. Let's put this baby to bed now.

I vote for

Quick Reply: Own a TL, but still living at home with parents