Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Own a TL, but still living at home with parents

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Own a TL, but still living at home with parents

How many boardies own a 3G TL, but is still at home with mom and dad? Do you feel like your priorities aren't straight? Shouldn't getting your own place take priority over owning a 3G TL? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
A-SPEC

well...
you are 29, almost hitting 30's. LOL
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
That depends a lot on your age. Do you still live at home?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
There are a lot of people living at home these days for special reasons. Some might make the money to have a house but some might have personal issues that he has to take care of. Like his parents or family members are handicap and his old parents can't really take care of him by themselves anymore, etc. Stuff like that.

Or another idea is the house might be so big that it has two master bedrooms, etc.

I would personally say, living at home isn't a bad thing as long as you pay for everything yourself and rent. Once you meet that special person then you join together and get your own house. Rent a place or apartment sucks.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Slow traffic...move right

there is nothing wrong with living at home.

You can live at home only for the following reasons:

1) You are needed by your family to help out with certain "family" responsibilities. ex. bills, younger sibling, sick parents.

2) You are saving to buy a house. (limit of 3-5 years saving...not saving till ur 49)

3) You are a Full time student who is driving a bad-ass car like the TL.

That's it...everyone else can just find another excuse.

By the way....I am in the #3 category. lol
Old 07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subinf
That depends a lot on your age. Do you still live at home?
Yeah I do still live at home. I'm hesitant to go out on my own because I'm afraid that it would be alot toughter on my parents. On the other hand, I know I can't stay with them forever.

The reason I made the post is because I know people living around me are probably thinking that this guy got himself a bad ass car like Mo_Man put it, and still hasn't left the nest.

As pimpin-tl says, if I do find that special someone, I'll definitely make that move.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Yay for #3 lol

Originally Posted by Mo_Man
there is nothing wrong with living at home.

You can live at home only for the following reasons:

1) You are needed by your family to help out with certain "family" responsibilities. ex. bills, younger sibling, sick parents.

2) You are saving to buy a house. (limit of 3-5 years saving...not saving till ur 49)

3) You are a Full time student who is driving a bad-ass car like the TL.

That's it...everyone else can just find another excuse.

By the way....I am in the #3 category. lol
Old 07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
Yeah I do still live at home. I'm hesitant to go out on my own because I'm afraid that it would be alot toughter on my parents. On the other hand, I know I can't stay with them forever.

The reason I made the post is because I know people living around me are probably thinking that this guy got himself a bad ass car like Mo_Man put it, and still hasn't left the nest.

As pimpin-tl says, if I do find that special someone, I'll definitely make that move.

Yeah I can understand how a lot of people would look at someone with a TL and still living with the parents as a bad thing. I dont have a problem with it at all. If you were some deadbeat living off of your parents coin that would be a different scenario, but I dont think that is the case with anyone on the boards.

I moved back in with my parents for the summer (or at least the parts of the summer when I'm not traveling) I start grad. school in the fall and it seemed stupid to pay month to month rent when I'm going to be out of the state/country for long periods of time.
Instructor

I'm # 1... However I used to own a house with what thought to be that special person, broke up now back at home where family needs me..... Sucks ..but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Did you go to college late and are trying to get your shit together before going out into "the real world"?
- Are your parents sick, etc.. where they need your support (vs. a live-in nurse)
- Did you get divorced or lose your job and are living with them until you can get back on your feet again?
- Did you just "forget" to move out 10 years ago and time caught up with you?
- Did you ever live on your own in the past?

I guess still living @ home when pushing 30 could be good/bad depending on the reason.

Personally, I would have slit my wrists if I had to be at home after 18, but everyone is different. On the surface, it seems a little odd to still be at home at almost 30, but I nor any of us here should be passing judgement without knowing your real situation.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

TO each his own, but in my opinion... at you're age you should stop wasting money on cars and get yourself your own house. A car is nothing, but a car.

I didn't go to college, so I started working right out of high school. I bought my first house when I was 22 or 23. I think I moved out of my parents house when I was 20 and moved in with a buddy. I probably spent most of my money and cars and other worthless crap until I decided I wanted a house and went into saving mode about a year before I bought my first house.

Everyone is on a different time schedule, but 29 seems kind of old to be at home still.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dlouly47
I'm # 1... However I used to own a house with what thought to be that special person, broke up now back at home where family needs me..... Sucks ..but you gotta do what you gotta do.
It's important to make sure that special person is really indeed that special person.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM
HMFIC

I was out of my parent's house at 17. I don't deal well with authority, so I got a place first and TL second.

YMMV,

Don
Old 07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah I'm 27 and I own a TL and live at home. I started college late. I've been working full time. Now I'm working full time and going to school part time. When I saw the TL I just had to get it. I'm no dead beat. I pay all my bills. The only thing I don't have to pay is for rent. It's kinda hard to go out and rent a place. In this housing boom, it quite impossible to save enough money to down a house when you're throwing money out on rent. For most of us I think rent is way more than car payment. I mean I'm not planning to live at home forever. I plan to move out once I get out of college in 2 years. I don't think it's a big deal if you help your parents around the house. It's really messed up if you're still askiing them for money or asking them to pay for your car.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dlouly47
I will also admit that I am #1 as well. I have a brother that has Autism and since my parents are over 60 now its very rough for them to take care of him and take care of the house at the same time. So I basically made the decision to give back what they gave me and help them. I pay rent, I also help around the house and pay bills of mine and some of theres to help. The house will be mine (they are going to give me the house) when they retire and my brother will be in a group home most likely unless I want to support him (which at this time I am not really sure). Some friends do not understand where I come from in this and I have also lost friends due to arguements of this kind of nature. But sorry family does come first. The friends that I have lost that wanted to always start crap about that were ones that had either no mom or dad or really had no future in life except work at a fast food joint.

Oh well!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Racer

I'm sure there are extraordinary circumstances (taking care of ill parents, etc.) but if you're 30 and have enough dough to buy a TL then I think you should have grown up and gotten your lame-ass out of the house before buying a new ride.

Let me guess- you spend your spare time sitting around playing video games, too?

We can only hope some day you have kids like yourself.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Andrew McCarthy
I'm sure there are extraordinary circumstances (taking care of ill parents, etc.) but if you're 30 and have enough dough to buy a TL then I think you should have grown up and gotten your lame-ass out of the house before buying a new ride.

Let me guess- you spend your spare time sitting around playing video games, too?

We can only hope some day you have kids like yourself.
See, it's these type of immature remarks that cause havoc. You obviously do not care enough about your family or parents to understand where some people come from.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Advanced

I have a 16y/o and 12 y/o son and am so looking forward to the day they are out of the house. My wife will cry like a baby and I may miss them but they keep me so darn busy I'm always tired and have no time for my hobbies

Oh and then I let them talk me into getting a DOG!!!! But it should work out that when the youngest is finally gone the dog should be well over the hill...

But maybe it's just fine with your parents and who cares what the neighbors think they're idiots anyways!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
See, it's these type of immature remarks that cause havoc. You obviously do not care enough about your family or parents to understand where some people come from.
Like I said, there are extraordinary circumstances but it seems to me that someone who is still living at home yet goes out and buys a $35k car cares a hell of a lot more about themselves than their parents.

I'd be willing to bet that a VAST majority of parents don't want their 30 year old kids still living with them.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
One on the right for me

How about if your parents have another unit on the property and you rent that from them?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,661 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Scribesoft
- Did you go to college late and are trying to get your shit together before going out into "the real world"?
- Are your parents sick, etc.. where they need your support (vs. a live-in nurse)
- Did you get divorced or lose your job and are living with them until you can get back on your feet again?
- Did you just "forget" to move out 10 years ago and time caught up with you?
- Did you ever live on your own in the past?

I guess still living @ home when pushing 30 could be good/bad depending on the reason.

Personally, I would have slit my wrists if I had to be at home after 18, but everyone is different. On the surface, it seems a little odd to still be at home at almost 30, but I nor any of us here should be passing judgement without knowing your real situation.

to everything you just posted!!!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Racer

How about if your parents have another unit on the property and you rent that from them?
I wouldn't consider that "out on your own", would you?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
One on the right for me

I wouldn't consider that "out on your own", would you?

no, I was just throwing something out there.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Race Director

Have you seen Failure to Launch?

My friend has lived on his own when he got his own apt for a new job, but had to move back home after he got laid off. He found a new job, but is still living at home and saving up money to move out within a yr or 2 because he doesn't want to rent an apt, but is saving to buy a condo or townhouse. He owns a TL and just turned 28. So, it's alright.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:36 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

i thought i was a bum cause i didnt move out til i was 23. anybody who's close or is already in their 30's and still live at home are LOSERS (unless your there due to unavoidable family circumstances). what if you pick up a chick becuase shes jockin your TL? i hope you both flexible enough to bang in the TL all the time cuase if you take her back to mommy's house, shes gonna laugh at you and you aint gonna get noooo poo-tang!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by edsonfire
i thought i was a bum cause i didnt move out til i was 23. anybody who's close or is already in their 30's and still live at home are LOSERS. what if you pick up a chick becuase shes jockin your TL? i hope you both flexible enough to bang in the TL all the time cuase if you take her back to mommy's house, shes gonna laugh at you and you aint gonna get noooo poo-tang!

I'd agree but I do know a few people who have familial obligations to take care of their parents, brothers, sisters, etc.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

i'm still living with my parents , but in a couple of weeks i'll be moving into my own house with my lady
Old 07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

There is also a factor you guys didn't notice was his culture. Most caribbeans tend to stay at home because the parents expect that. Caribbean families are more tight knit than your average American family. In the Trini/Caribbean Community him being 30 and living at home is not an issue. I have several friends & cousins ( Dominican ) my age that still live at home, just to be close to mom and make sure she is taken care of.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Like I said, there are extraordinary circumstances but it seems to me that someone who is still living at home yet goes out and buys a $35k car cares a hell of a lot more about themselves than their parents.

I'd be willing to bet that a VAST majority of parents don't want their 30 year old kids still living with them.
I actually pay half the rent and all of the utility bills. My parents are as fortunate as I am to get a good-paying job, so that's why I stay and help them out.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CL Platano
There is also a factor you guys didn't notice was his culture. Most caribbeans tend to stay at home because the parents expect that. Caribbean families are more tight knit than your average American family. In the Trini/Caribbean Community him being 30 and living at home is not an issue. I have several friends & cousins ( Dominican ) my age that still live at home, just to be close to mom and make sure she is taken care of.
You understand where I'm coming from
Old 07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

i thought i was a bum cause i didnt move out til i was 23. anybody who's close or is already in their 30's and still live at home are LOSERS (unless your there due to unavoidable family circumstances). what if you pick up a chick becuase shes jockin your TL? i hope you both flexible enough to bang in the TL all the time cuase if you take her back to mommy's house, shes gonna laugh at you and you aint gonna get noooo poo-tang!
Totally agree, but if you younger guys use your car to get girls then you're a loser as well. In additionl you're not going to want a girl who is with you because of your car.
Anybody with a job can lease a TL, so just because you have a TL doesn't mean you made it in life. Without your parents, you'd be living in your trunk.

If I was at home at 30, I would have slit my wrists.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy

Here is my take....the people living around you probably figure you are sucking off your mommy and daddy and thats why you have a bass-ass TL, as you call it....I know I laugh my ass off at the guy that lives around me that fits that category (dont take this wrong...just telling you what people may think? I dont live in a "village" so its not normal for kids to move back into their parents homes to "save for a house" nor still be there after about 20 talking about what they are gonna do. I live in the Suburban Midwest....time to get out and fend for yourself. If parents need help...then we carry them....nuff said....AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND! We DONT say the parents need help so I am living with them, ect. If there is a kid living with parents beyond the age of 20...there is several reasons....(in our area)

The kid is a total retard
The kid is a total loser and has a history of shitty decisions, thus still at home
The kid is in criminal trouble or past - wait..that can go back to above
The kid is a drug dealer - wait..again...back to second one above
The parents are handicap or medically disabled....at which many people STILL will fall to one of the above categories or be mis-assigned to one of the above categories by neighbors. (seen it several times)

As for the girl...dont worry about that one. Thats not gonna be a problem. If it is....question what is going on! What kind of chick is gonna hang with some dude that lives with their parents at 30....somebody with issues...thats who...and issues you are probably not gonna want to deal with!

NO offense dude....just giving you my take on it. Could be FAR off from your reality...just how people look out the window around here anyway.

What I read is this....lack of self confidence. I mean....my parents cant handle it? Please.....sounds like they may have a cling-on issue too!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

I'd agree but I do know a few people who have familial obligations to take care of their parents, brothers, sisters, etc.
See that I am not familiar with at all.....dont see how family would...well...ok....maybe a death or something....the oldest raising others...something like this...? But in our area...families dont usually look to stifle their kids with burdens! But stuff/tragedies do happen...dont want to discount that and the mightly family soldiers that stand up and continue the fight for the family...now thats downright admirable!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro

there is plenty of room in the back seat... especially if you move the 2 front seats up. trust me

oh and, if your still in high school its cool to live with your parents, lol
Old 07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
if your still in high school its cool to live with your parents, lol

True dat...if your still in highschool at 29...you probably need looking after and DEFINATELY fall into one of my categories!
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
See that I am not familiar with at all.....dont see how family would...well...ok....maybe a death or something....the oldest raising others...something like this...? But in our area...families dont usually look to stifle their kids with burdens! But stuff/tragedies do happen...dont want to discount that and the mightly family soldiers that stand up and continue the fight for the family...now thats downright admirable!

I dont think the parents place any burden on the kids whatsoever. My roomate in college graduated early so she could move back in with her parents and help take care of her mom who had cancer. Her dad worked and they couldnt afford to get any kind of live in person...made sense that she would move back home and live there.
Advanced

Everybody is different. All hands aren't equal. I hate listening to people put down other people because they don't measure up to their own standards. If you don't know where this guy started from, don't knock him. Some people started off in foster homes, or as immigrants who couldn't even work if they wanted to cos they had no green card. Some other people got dad to pay their way thru college and buy them everything they needed. You'd be a dummy to judge both by the same yard-stick.
Everybody has different priorities. Live and let live. The fact that owning a house and so on to you means happiness and arrival doesn't mean the next man has to live up to your bliss. Lots of people own homes and at the end of the day still end up in the hole.
That said, I own a TL. I bought it for the simple fact that I felt like I deserved a self treat for all my hard work. I've been taking care of my family for years and almost every dime I saved went to taking care of family issues. Owning a home will drasticaly reduce the support I can tender to my family so I dont have one at the moment. A brothe just graduated college and 2 more to go. With increased support from my brothers, I would have less heads to take care of and more hands to care for the rents. We've come a LONG way. I should be doing good enough to get my own place by the end of the yr. I moved out of home a long time ago and my story starts as an immigrant with $200 and some old clothes 7yrs ago. If you started at the same time with the same resources and no support from anybody, then feel free to thropw your e-sults and e-buses. If you didn't, STFU. Fact remains that if I started with the resources and help you guys had I'd probably be a freaking tycoon now.

Mistakes always look blundering and clumsy to the spectators......... until they play.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
But in our area...families dont usually look to stifle their kids with burdens!
It's not about stifling kids with burdens. Lord knows nobody forces me to do what I do. It's a sense of obligation and LOVE for family. I realised a long time ago that I was better off with an empty stomach and peaceful mind than with a full stomach and worrisome mind. I worry about my fam having the best, food on the table and the whole shebang. I could be in paradise surrounded by all the good things in life but I could hardly enjoy it knowing what mine are going thru.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by TallDarknFugly
Everybody is different. All hands aren't equal. I hate listening to people put down other people because they don't measure up to their own standards. If you don't know where this guy started from, don't knock him. Some people started off in foster homes, or as immigrants who couldn't even work if they wanted to cos they had no green card. Some other people got dad to pay their way thru college and buy them everything they needed. You'd be a dummy to judge both by the same yard-stick.
Everybody has different priorities. Live and let live. The fact that owning a house and so on to you means happiness and arrival doesn't mean the next man has to live up to your bliss. Lots of people own homes and at the end of the day still end up in the hole.
That said, I own a TL. I bought it for the simple fact that I felt like I deserved a self treat for all my hard work. I've been taking care of my family for years and almost every dime I saved went to taking care of family issues. Owning a home will drasticaly reduce the support I can tender to my family so I dont have one at the moment. A brothe just graduated college and 2 more to go. With increased support from my brothers, I would have less heads to take care of and more hands to care for the rents. We've come a LONG way. I should be doing good enough to get my own place by the end of the yr. I moved out of home a long time ago and my story starts as an immigrant with $200 and some old clothes 7yrs ago. If you started at the same time with the same resources and no support from anybody, then feel free to thropw your e-sults and e-buses. If you didn't, STFU. Fact remains that if I started with the resources and help you guys had I'd probably be a freaking tycoon now.

Mistakes always look blundering and clumsy to the spectators......... until they play.
Not disagreeing with you whatsoever....but buddy...I think you missed the first post here...and it wasnt about YOU...so dont get upset at peoples opinions that were solicited by the original poster. He asked for input...and he got input...for whatever its worth. You make a good point....and one that I am honestly....somewhat jealous of myself...cause I will never attain the success in life comparatively as an immigrant in the US that just came here and is building from scratch....hows them cookies buddy! The person you describe will by FAR attain WAY more success than any typical American if they apply themselves. I mean...come from $200 to a nice family and a house, ect later in life....then compare that to coming from money and getting and education on dad...lets say....they will NEVER attain the level of success COMPARATIVELY to from where they started from. I watch these Mexican families come into our town...and yes...they are friggin dirt poor in many cases...but I can tell you they are rich in family, rich in perspective to where they started. I love to see them make the little successes in life as they climb the American ladder and wonder what it would be like to be that happy with myself for accomplishing something I take for granted in my life due to where I came from. See....its not always so great coming from money. Skews the view in many cases.....unless you have had it and lost it and came back again.....that kind of shakes em up!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Culture plays a huge part into this. Asians, for the most part, always live w/ their parents. (or actually their parents live w/ them.) My grandparents live w/ either my uncles or at my parents. To me, it just seems as if asian parents work for their kids. They will provide them w/ the money they need, for school, for cars, for college, for a house, etc. etc. until they are too old to work. Hopefully, by that time, their children are grown up and working etc. Then it's the children's turn to take care of the parents.

In my case, my parents (and grandparents, actually) have paid for almost everything (except my clothes and any of my hobbies), regardless of whether i ask for it or not. When they moved to Las Vegas last year, instead of me living on campus at school, they bought a townhouse for me, so that I could keep residency (and so that my sister would have a place to stay during her winter/spring breaks). I actually didn't know that I was getting a house until about 2 weeks before they moved. Of course, im' grateful that they did such a thing, but it also makes me want to work hard so that I could provide them w/ everything they'd need when they retire/grow old.

Thus, i don't think that being 29 and living at home is a horrible thing. As Platano said, culture could play into this.

Quick Reply: Own a TL, but still living at home with parents