Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overpriced Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overpriced Accord?

Hey everyone, I have posted a few times here now. Been seriously researching picking a TL in June/July timeframe. What I have heard from some non-TL lovers is that all the TL is an overpriced Accord. While it is true it is based on the Accord frame, I just think that is a completely crappy statement. I also heard that the US TL is based off the European Accord's frame, don't know if there is any truth to that.

So basically, what is your answer when people say this crap to you? What is the G35 based on, the Altima?

Sorry, just looking at good comebacks when people say this crap. So far my answer has been, yes it is based on an Accord, which is made by Honda, which have some of the best reliablity results in the car manufacturing world. Maybe they are just jealous, hell I don't even have the car yet.

Hank
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Dam are you trying to start a riot?!! Those are inflammatory words.

They have a few similarities, but they have a load of OBVIOUS differences.

Most cars these days share a platform with another vehicle..

And!!!!!

Go drive each yourself. Then you will be enlightened!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Instructor

I test drove the TL and love it. Can't say I test drove the accord, but I have no intentions to, my heart is with the TL.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The current TL is based on the US Accord platform. Some of the suspension pieces are similar allowing some members to swap the Accord lower springs on the TL. But that's about where the similarities end. Differences in include bigger and more powerful motor, better brakes in case of the 6MT, more interior room, higher quality materials, longer warrantee with roadside assitance, and various little interior improvements. A fully loaded Accord is close to 30K. A TL without the NAVI is only a little more expensive than the Accord. So I hope this helps to clear some confusion.

dsc888
Old 03-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
these people are haters and ignorant.

the G35 is uses the global FM "front midship" platform. it is used for the Z, FX, new M
Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Not a bad thing!

Hank,

Haters and other jealous people will throw that around a lot. Like Lexus is the best car Toyota can make, Acura is the best upscale car that Honda can make.

Neither Accords nor TLs have "frames" per se. They are unibody platforms as most cars are these days. There is a sub-frame which tacks on the front of the platform to hold the engine and front suspension. These are different and can change the wheel base and many other important systems on the car.

Shared platforms is a fact of life and not a bad thing. It keeps the cost down which keeps the price of the car reasonable. Jaguar's X type shares platforms with Tauruses and Bentleys share some platforms with Volkswagons. Saab and Saturn, etc. etc.

I don't mind owning the cream of the crop from Honda. I don't hear people bad-mouthing Hondas, do you?

There are similarities between a TL and an Accord. They are related. But a full dress Accord cannot hold a candle to a base TL. Different animals when it comes to luxury features and trim although the mechanicals are similar.

Just like Camrys and Lexus ES330. Based on the same platform but quite a difference when you A/B them.

And we haven't even talked about service and warranties.

My
Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Depends who's saying these things. Maybe they're just jealous they don't have Hands free link or voice activation navi. Everyone talks trash and say things to make themselves feel better because they may not be sure that they've made the right choice on their purchase. To each his own. I love my TL and if it was just an overpriced accord, then why did I end up with a TL? I could have save a few grand?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Is the TL an overpriced Accord?

They are exactly the same car!!!!! The only difference is the engine, transmission, suspension, interior, all exterior body panels, options etc. As I said they are exactly the same!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Shift_faster

TL = US Accord Platform
TSX = Euro Accord Platform

G35 (as deandorsey mentioned) = 350Z, FX35-45 platform (FM).
Altima = Maxima, Murano platform (FFM).

I have no problem that it is based off the Accord.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
There are a lot of differences between the car, albeit somewhat minor ones. I'm not going to go into the details as almost everyone on this board knows the small differences. I would have bought the TL back in January 2004 (instead of a loaded EX V6 with navigation) if I could have afforded it, but trying to save for my own wedding and honeymoon, retirement plans, and save for a house would have put a serious damper on my financial situation. Hell, I'm only 25.

Now that I'm married, have a house, and are sitting pretty well financially, I'm looking at slightly used TLs. I know I would take a hit on the Accord, but at this point, I could deal with that. I bet I could find a used 2004 TL with navigation for less than $30,000.

Now, if only I could convince the wife to let me get it instead of traveling, then I'd be golden!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Instructor

I purchased my TL on 11/04, and my mother just purchased a fully loaded V6 Accord EX w/ leather Coupe on Sat. After driving both, I agree the fully loaded Accord is very nice, however you can't compare the two. Everything about the TL, whether you're comparing the exterior, interior, engine, tires, brakes, sport shift automatic (not offered on the Accord), radio, lighting (xenons) is better on the TL. So while they may share the same platform, they're two completely different beasts. By the way, the MSRP on her Accord was $28.5K, just about $4500 less than the MSRP on my TL. Considering, she paid $23.5K + taxes, I think it's a great deal for the money. Those of us buying TL's are not so concerned with the price, but rather what we're getting for our money. Which is a bang for the buck when you consider the TL's true competition (BMW, Audi, MB, Infiniti, etc.)
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Talking And this is bad why?

I am proud of the fact that my 05 TL jumped out of the same gene pool as the Accord. In fact, I advertise the fact that it's a Honda product. I'm a Honda zealot and for good reason.

I test drove both the Accord V6 Navi when considering the TL. It came down to the two vehicles. Yes, a TL w/ navi is about 6k more, but I did feel it was worth it for a couple reasons, some related to features, other related to the fact that my wife is in real estate and a TL is a bit better for driving around snobby Bay Areas clients than an Accord (not to knock the Accord, which I loved).

The main difference aside from the obvious extras the TL has is that the TL has a bit more sporty ride, and handles a bit better in the corners (less lean). Other than that the feature set was enough to make the difference for us.

I say celebrate the Honda lineage. The accord is one of the most reliable, high value vehicles in the world. I can only hope that my TL has the same resale value and reliablity I've come to expect from my other Hondas.

And if that rationale doesn't work, tell the haters to eat $--- and die.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Slum Puppet
And if that rationale doesn't work, tell the haters to eat $--- and die.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Hank,

Haters and other jealous people will throw that around a lot. Like Lexus is the best car Toyota can make, Acura is the best upscale car that Honda can make.

Neither Accords nor TLs have "frames" per se. They are unibody platforms as most cars are these days. There is a sub-frame which tacks on the front of the platform to hold the engine and front suspension. These are different and can change the wheel base and many other important systems on the car.

Shared platforms is a fact of life and not a bad thing. It keeps the cost down which keeps the price of the car reasonable. Jaguar's X type shares platforms with Tauruses and Bentleys share some platforms with Volkswagons. Saab and Saturn, etc. etc.

I don't mind owning the cream of the crop from Honda. I don't hear people bad-mouthing Hondas, do you?

There are similarities between a TL and an Accord. They are related. But a full dress Accord cannot hold a candle to a base TL. Different animals when it comes to luxury features and trim although the mechanicals are similar.

Just like Camrys and Lexus ES330. Based on the same platform but quite a difference when you A/B them.

And we haven't even talked about service and warranties.

My
I totally agree! Also, isn't the TSX the European Accord?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:01 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Isn't the TL a lot safer than the Accord. I haven't seen any crash test results for the Accord, but the TL's were very good!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Certified A-Hole!

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
TL = US Accord Platform

I was gonna say, I thought that the TSX was more like the Euro Accord... I didn't know the TL shared any similarities to the Accord. Hell, I even own an Accord.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jmn4667
I totally agree! Also, isn't the TSX the European Accord?
Euro...

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
TL = US Accord Platform

G35 (as deandorsey mentioned) = 350Z, FX35-45 platform (FM).
Altima = Maxima, Murano platform (FFM).

I have no problem that it is based off the Accord.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Banned

I always get a good laugh when people say the TL is an overpriced Accord.

So is the M3 just a glorified 318i? Um, ....

Or is the S4 just an overpriced A4 1.8T? Hmmm, ...

It sits on the same frame. So what?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Wow, thanks for all the informative replies. Makes me feel much better now. To answer one reply, yes, the crash test results on the TL are very impressive, high marks all around, at least last time I checked. Not sure on the Accord, but it doesn't matter, I am getting a TL

Thanks again everyone!

Hank
Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by hank1105
Wow, thanks for all the informative replies. Makes me feel much better now. To answer one reply, yes, the crash test results on the TL are very impressive, high marks all around, at least last time I checked. Not sure on the Accord, but it doesn't matter, I am getting a TL

Thanks again everyone!

Hank
Here's something to make you feel even better (even though it's 2004 data).

http://www.wildbluedesigns.net/_stuf...merReports.jpg

http://www.wildbluedesigns.net/_stuf...4_acura_tl.pdf
Old 03-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts

Thanks again everyone!

Hank
Hank, people like that just want to get a rise out of you. I dont own a TL but I know that the TL has a style about it that the competent but BLAND Accord cant even come near.

To wit, MANY different 'upscale' models share a chassis and/or component with 'downscale' models:

ES330 - Camry
RX330 - Highlander/Sienna
G35C - 350Z
TL - Accord
MDX - Pilot/Odyssey
I35 - 5G Maxima
QX56 - Armada
...etc. And I'd need a seperate thread to list the GM and Ford models that do this, and have done so over the past few decades.

And as previously, indicated the G35 is based on the 350Z's FM platform (G35, Z, FX) where the Altima is the originator for Nissan's FF-L platform (on which the Maxima, Quest & Murano are also based)

Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no wait the ES250 was a camry...lol
Old 03-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro

Let's not forget that the new Volvo S40 is a Mazda 3 / Euro Ford Focus! (Which is actually a pretty good chassis).
Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
I drove a TL back to back against a current generation Accord. The TL to me was well worth the difference in cost. Handling was dramatically different despite both sharing many components.

I test drove the TL and love it. Can't say I test drove the accord, but I have no intentions to, my heart is with the TL.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Does the Accord offer standard Bluetooth, leather, DVD-A, driver memories, LED lighting, etc.?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Does the Accord offer standard Bluetooth, leather, DVD-A, driver memories, LED lighting, etc.?

Leather yes but even if it offered all the rest, it's still not the car that the TL is.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

as others have said, it's just jealousy and ignorance when people say TL's are overpriced accords. it's all they can say when they buy a car that is overpriced and underpowered.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Racer

What I have heard from some non-TL lovers is that all the TL is an overpriced Accord. While it is true it is based on the Accord frame, I just think that is a completely crappy statement. I also heard that the US TL is based off the European Accord's frame, don't know if there is any truth to that.

Sorry, just looking at good comebacks when people say this crap.
The people who usually make such statements have not spent much time in either car. I used to have an 03 Accord before trading up. And while it's obvious the TL is based on the Accord, calling it an overpriced Accord would mean two things. One, the extra features aren't worth the extra cost and two, if you took away those features you would have an Accord. A car is more than its feature list and even if you took away the DVD audio, the Bluetooth, etc., would the TL be just an Accord? Of course not. You'd still have a car that handles better, has a sportier ride, looks a LOT better, and is more comfortable. I can attest to that last part because the Accord seats gave me back pain, but the TLs don't.

If you're looking for a good comeback, list all the extra features and then ask how much those features are worth. Also ask them which car looks better or which drives better.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaOnly
The people who usually make such statements have not spent much time in either car. I used to have an 03 Accord before trading up. And while it's obvious the TL is based on the Accord, calling it an overpriced Accord would mean two things. One, the extra features aren't worth the extra cost and two, if you took away those features you would have an Accord. A car is more than its feature list and even if you took away the DVD audio, the Bluetooth, etc., would the TL be just an Accord? Of course not. You'd still have a car that handles better, has a sportier ride, looks a LOT better, and is more comfortable. I can attest to that last part because the Accord seats gave me back pain, but the TLs don't.

If you're looking for a good comeback, list all the extra features and then ask how much those features are worth. Also ask them which car looks better or which drives better.
Well said...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Again, thanks for the all replies and the consumer reports links. You guys definitely have me sold
Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

A different perspective would be to look at the consumer report very closely. It is dated feb 04. They take a little bit of time to compile all the information so they saw reliability as very good. What are they basing this on? The other cars in the group were not in a redesign year but the acura was. So how can they make that statement with no real data.?

And what does reliability mean anyway... If it is driveable it is reliable. Does a product get dinged in this category for events that require roadside assistance or that impact the safety of the vehicle. Or is it any old complaint that is covered under warranty...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

ah yes and it outhandled the other cars, but it was the only car that had 45 series 17 inch tires. The others were 16 in 55 series... That can make a big difference... got to look at what the numbers mean and not just the outcome...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Corolla = IS300
Camry =GS400
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by jmn4667
Isn't the TL a lot safer than the Accord. I haven't seen any crash test results for the Accord, but the TL's were very good!
Actually, neither are significantly safer than the other. The Accord and TL are both extremely safe vehicles, but "Accord"ing to my research, when it comes to side impacts -- the Accord has a slightly better rating.

In any event, people should be proud that the TL came from the Accord. The Accord is one of this country's most loved vehicles. Sure, it's pedestrian, but how many cars have been on C&D's 10Best far more times than any other? How many other cars were called "the benchmark by which all other sedans are measured" by Edmunds?

I understand that if you pay a premium for an Acura TL you might not want it to be associated with a pedestrian Accord - but let's face it, without the Accord, the TL wouldn't exist. And no one here can deny that the fully loaded Accord is one of the best values on the market. The V6 is extremely refined, and per SteVTEC from v6performance.net's research, the AV6 sedan auto is nearly as fast as the TL automatic.

Point is, the Accord is an amazing vehicle that has always been three or four steps ahead of the rest. Be proud your vehicle has Accord roots -- it couldn't have better ones.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:18 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Jerky
Corolla = IS300
Camry =GS400
Huh?

The ES330 is the Camry, and I don't see how the IS300 is possibly tied to the Corolla.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Huh?

The ES330 is the Camry, and I don't see how the IS300 is possibly tied to the Corolla.
I thought the IS300 was based on the Corolla platform.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry sorry i got my toyota and lexus platforms mixed up

You get my point howeer.....
Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
Hank, people like that just want to get a rise out of you. I dont own a TL but I know that the TL has a style about it that the competent but BLAND Accord cant even come near.

To wit, MANY different 'upscale' models share a chassis and/or component with 'downscale' models:

ES330 - Camry
RX330 - Highlander/Sienna
G35C - 350Z
TL - Accord
MDX - Pilot/Odyssey
I35 - 5G Maxima
QX56 - Armada
...etc. And I'd need a seperate thread to list the GM and Ford models that do this, and have done so over the past few decades.

And as previously, indicated the G35 is based on the 350Z's FM platform (G35, Z, FX) where the Altima is the originator for Nissan's FF-L platform (on which the Maxima, Quest & Murano are also based)

Not that it has any relevence, but actually the G came before the Z. The Skyline introduced the FM platform first in Japan, not the Z. (G is the FM platform, Z is a shortened FM platform, M is an extended FM platform) Nissan is also trying to differentiate the Z and G, by not offering similar models. In the US, Z only comes in 2 seater and drop top. G does not come in those configurations.

The M3 and S4 comparisons are also different, because they are higher trim levels of the same model car. The Accord and TL are two different classes of cars, sold under two different brands.

But either way, there is nothing wrong with platform sharing. At least the Accord and TL are pretty well differentiated. Before anyone says a TL is just a dressed up accord, they should head over to a Ford dealer, and explain to us, what the difference between a Ford Taurus and a Mercury Sable is....
Old 03-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Accord is one of the best cars period. Just as good as a TL (since its cheaper) but for us that like the badge snobness and a couple extra features, the TL is a good buy. And at least the 3rd generation is a much better TL than the 2nd generation, which showed off its Accord heritage. Other car makers do it to, some better than others. GM/Ford do the worst job, Lexus/Toyota does the best job.

Who cares what they say? B/C when I tell people its an Acura TL, its not like they have a clue what I am talking about. "Is that the new Legend" Acura should have stuck to the names.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by avs007
Not that it has any relevence, but actually the G came before the Z. The Skyline introduced the FM platform first in Japan, not the Z. (G is the FM platform, Z is a shortened FM platform, M is an extended FM platform) Nissan is also trying to differentiate the Z and G, by not offering similar models. In the US, Z only comes in 2 seater and drop top. G does not come in those configurations.

http://www.answers.com/topic/nissan-fm-platform
http://www.answers.com/topic/infinit...fm&hl=platform

Originally Posted by avs007
The Accord and TL are two different classes of cars, sold under two different brands.

But either way, there is nothing wrong with platform sharing. At least the Accord and TL are pretty well differentiated. Before anyone says a TL is just a dressed up accord, they should head over to a Ford dealer, and explain to us, what the difference between a Ford Taurus and a Mercury Sable is....
As I indicated, I'd need a seperate thread to list the domestic models that blatantly badge swap, let alone platform share.

Quick Reply: Overpriced Accord?