3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is our HID LIGHTS pointing too low???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you look on the battery plastic cover, there's a little hole, and on it will say "down/up" with a directional arrow,you can take the plastic cover off... if you choose, but when you put the phillips in, put it in at a angel from left to right pointing down,

http://acura-tl.hytekhosting.com/upl...Adjustment.JPG
Old 09-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Life at 9000rpm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great...just what we needed more reasons for people to hate HID. The only problem I see here is that one person has a problem with it and everyone else is just exaggerating it. What you have is every TL owner on this board running out and rising their HID.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just raised my headlight this morning, and i just got home, and i just got high beam by a cop... I didnt raise them up all that high, but i'll lower then again tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:45 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by datplayaz
I just raised my headlight this morning, and i just got home, and i just got high beam by a cop... I didnt raise them up all that high, but i'll lower then again tomorrow.

Does anyone who has adjusted their lights have before and after pics!!! That would be cool to see.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
One of the commenters mentioned to check your cutoff point against a vehicle in front of you on level road. I did this a few days ago and my driver's side cutoff appeared at the top of the bumper in front of me. Someone also made a comment about the fogs maybe confusing people who see our TLs coming at them because the fogs are not in the traditional location on the front of the car. This is a good point. I can easily understand how an on-coming driver could mistake your fogs for hi-beams.

When I made my adjustment, I used my garage door, which is white, as a target. The rise was almost imperceptable on the door. And when I test drove the car afterwards, I was pleased with the slight change.. and believe me, it is very slight.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:39 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
One of the commenters mentioned to check your cutoff point against a vehicle in front of you on level road. I did this a few days ago and my driver's side cutoff appeared at the top of the bumper in front of me. Someone also made a comment about the fogs maybe confusing people who see our TLs coming at them because the fogs are not in the traditional location on the front of the car. This is a good point. I can easily understand how an on-coming driver could mistake your fogs for hi-beams.

When I made my adjustment, I used my garage door, which is white, as a target. The rise was almost imperceptable on the door. And when I test drove the car afterwards, I was pleased with the slight change.. and believe me, it is very slight.

So the light is much brighter that you have adjusted just a tab bit. How much turn did you do when adjusting the lever??? I am going to adjust mine to see the difference once I find the hole to stick my Philip screw driver in.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

No the light isn't any brighter (that's not possible).. it's just that the point of aim is a little higher. I would suggest that if you are going to do this, take baby steps. Just a tad bit, then test it out before doing it more.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:40 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

No the light isn't any brighter (that's not possible).. it's just that the point of aim is a little higher. I would suggest that if you are going to do this, take baby steps. Just a tad bit, then test it out before doing it more.

Sorry I don't mean it will be brighter but ment that you can see more with the lights aiming higher. So I guess you feel it is much better than before now that you aimed it a bit higher. So I will try your suggestion dude. Thanks bud!!
Old 09-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

To ed99;

Yes, what I seemed to have gained is a little better light spread, mostly to the side and front left of the car. The light pattern with this car is especially good where I live because we have a lot of two-lane country roads with little or no shoulder and we have a lot of roadrats (deer) running around. The last thing I want is a deer to introduce himself (or her) to my TL. Dumb animals, but dumb and BIG animals.

There is still quite a drastic cutoff on both the driver and passenger side due to the nature of our lighting system. Going down a hill tends to wipe out a bit of forward projection of the light for obvious reasons.. best to be using the fogs to act as a fill-in for that. With this car, almost always when I get flashed, it's because I am going up a hill (or slight incline) or am on a higher plane than the on-coming car. Those conditions are naturally going to hit the other driver with my Xenons.. there is absolutely no possible way to avoid that unless you turn your lights off. When I and on-coming cars are on the same plane, there is nearly never a problem.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkz
For some reason with my fogs on, I always get high beamed.
You run your fog lights all the time?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:35 PM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

To ed99;

Yes, what I seemed to have gained is a little better light spread, mostly to the side and front left of the car. The light pattern with this car is especially good where I live because we have a lot of two-lane country roads with little or no shoulder and we have a lot of roadrats (deer) running around. The last thing I want is a deer to introduce himself (or her) to my TL. Dumb animals, but dumb and BIG animals.

There is still quite a drastic cutoff on both the driver and passenger side due to the nature of our lighting system. Going down a hill tends to wipe out a bit of forward projection of the light for obvious reasons.. best to be using the fogs to act as a fill-in for that. With this car, almost always when I get flashed, it's because I am going up a hill (or slight incline) or am on a higher plane than the on-coming car. Those conditions are naturally going to hit the other driver with my Xenons.. there is absolutely no possible way to avoid that unless you turn your lights off. When I and on-coming cars are on the same plane, there is nearly never a problem.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:03 PM
5th Gear

Took a trip with my brother in his TL from Seattle to Lewiston, WA near the Idaho border this past weekend. I did about 80% of the driving. Going both ways, we were high beamed about 120-150 times by incoming traffic because the lights were so bright. It got to the point where we were making bets as to whether or not people would high beam us.

My question is, is this normal? I have a 2003 G35 and I have never been high beamed in 1.5 years even though I have HID's also.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Racer

You guys are all nuts, I get high beamed ALL THE TIME, imagine raising those lights how bad it would be. I got high beamed more in 1 week with this car then I have in 3 yrs of my last car.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sonofsnood
Took a trip with my brother in his TL from Seattle to Lewiston, WA near the Idaho border this past weekend. I did about 80% of the driving. Going both ways, we were high beamed about 120-150 times by incoming traffic because the lights were so bright. It got to the point where we were making bets as to whether or not people would high beam us.

My question is, is this normal? I have a 2003 G35 and I have never been high beamed in 1.5 years even though I have HID's also.
the G35 does not have projector style lights so the cutoff is not as severe. if you shine the TL's lights at a wall you will see a very distinct line where light cuts off. ite because of this that people think they are getting high beamed. also our cars do not have auto leveling headlights so any dips or bumps will have that bad boy aimed incorrectly. if you shine your G35 lights against the wall you will see a similar light patter but more disperrsed. the cutoff will not be as sharp and therefore not appear to high beam as many people.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Then there are a few people out there who just do not like Xenons and a fair amount of that dislike may be attributed to people who install the Ultra-White or blue halogen lamps which simulate Xenon. Some of them are pretty darned bright.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:48 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by sonofsnood

Had my TL for 9months and never been high beam before!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 AM
5th Gear

here's a little qualifier for my story

my brother's had his TL for about 4-5 months now and he's never been high beamed before either but then that's because he drove mostly in the city where all the street lamps were

our trip put us in the middle of cow country and you can totally see how well the TL's lights work, in fact we made the whole trip w/o using the high beams other than to signal to the other drivers what they were seeing was in fact the low beams

I believe my first comment when I test drove his car when he got home was, "Holy shite!!! This lights up the whole friggin road." I'm happy with my G's lights but his TL definitely wins in a light contest, hands down....