Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is our HID LIGHTS pointing too low???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:46 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Is our HID LIGHTS pointing too low???

I don't know about you guys but I noticed my HID lights seems to be pointing too low to the ground. Maybe that is why I feel our HID aren't as bright as other cars. Do you guys find that for your car or is it just me????
Old 09-21-2004, 03:21 AM
.:HALCÓN DE LA NOCHE:.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The driver's side headlight is aimed lower (standard) than the passengers side.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I thought so, too, so I adjusted my driver's side up slightly the first weekend I had the car. Not much.. just enough to give me a little more light to the front and side of the road. Where I live, there are beaucoup deer and other creatures running around. I want as much light as I can throw on and to the side of the road.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
its so you won't blind oncoming drivers, with of course a little lost of long distance site, if you feel its not enough light, you can turn on your fog lights, it makes quite the difference
Old 09-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SouthernBoy...how did you adjust your lights? I'd like to do that with mine..but I'm not sure how to do it without screwing it up? Also....will it still pass inspection?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 AM
On the way!

Don't the D2R's have a special ring at the base that prevents you from actually seeing the light directly? If they do, it might be dangerous to look directly at a D2S in a D2R housing.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Pro

Jet jock, I was the same way couldnt stand the way the lights went ___/-----/ Just lift your hood. Look at the 2 pieces of plastic that cover up your head lights there is 1 hole on each side that you put a phillips head screw driver in and turn. There are arrows that tell you wich way to turn. I would recomend finding an old parkinglot with no lights or a back stretch of road with no cars. This way you can adjust then sit in the car then go back again to you get them were you want them.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
Jet jock, I was the same way couldnt stand the way the lights went ___/-----/ Just lift your hood. Look at the 2 pieces of plastic that cover up your head lights there is 1 hole on each side that you put a phillips head screw driver in and turn. There are arrows that tell you wich way to turn. I would recomend finding an old parkinglot with no lights or a back stretch of road with no cars. This way you can adjust then sit in the car then go back again to you get them were you want them.
Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Instructor

I hope the first person you blind with your misadjusted headlights is a cop in a bad mood.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

I am raising mine tonite as well. i feel they arent bright enough as well and want to experiment.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
They are low for a reason! You all are going to blind oncoming drivers. I hope you all get flashed by oncoming cars!
Old 09-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think mine are pretty low too, i thought it was done like that so it wouldn't blind drivers up ahead but im gonna try adjusting it tonight
Old 09-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92736
Old 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Guy Legend wrote:
"They are low for a reason! You all are going to blind oncoming drivers. I hope you all get flashed by oncoming cars"

That's why I only raised mine slightly. Yes, I've been flashed a few times, but that happened before I touched them, too. Acuras are known for their bright factory Xenon systems. You think ours are bright, you should see the 2002's (drove a friend's CL once and was really surprised at the amount of light it put out).

For those who plan to do this, don't get carried away. I always use my fog lamps whether or not there's fog. I want the added light for the critter reason I gave. Plus the fogs do a good job of filling in where the Xenon projector lights cut off.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

I must be blind

i cant find the hole you guys are talking about to stick in the phiilips screw driver. I try looking for the little arrows also and i cant find nothing. If someone could please give me a better way to describe where the hole is.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Pro

Lift your hood up and look for the black plastic covering your headlights. There will be one hole on each side for a screwdriver to fit in.

head light hole

tl adjust
Old 09-21-2004, 05:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
They are low for a reason! You all are going to blind oncoming drivers. I hope you all get flashed by oncoming cars!

Well everyone said raise them a little. I have mine high enough that my I can see down the road and do not have the lights just stop at point x. I would rather be able to see and get flashed once in a while. The first time you get flashed and hit them back with your high beams they get the point.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wolftag
I hope the first person you blind with your misadjusted headlights is a cop in a bad mood.
hopefully its not some older person who gets blinded and crashes. that would be great to see people with misadjusted hids get pulled over and ticketed. it is dangerous and irresponsible to improperly adjust your lights. think about the other people on the road and not just yourself.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JetJock
SouthernBoy...how did you adjust your lights? I'd like to do that with mine..but I'm not sure how to do it without screwing it up? Also....will it still pass inspection?
What type of inspection are you reffering to?

"TO BLIND OR NOT TO BLIND, THAT IS THE QUESTION".
Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

To xristos;

He probably means "safety inspection". We have them here in Virginia every year. Headlamp aim along with light output is checked. I suppose I'll find out then if my minor adjustment is acceptable.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 PM
one -n- only

i knew someone was going to post about the HID's, they are suppose to be low thats why they come like that from the factory and also why you see it on other cars.. no point in raising your lights more of a chance you'll get pulled over.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

i agree with the others about not raising the headlight alignment. it sounds like some of you have not owned a car with eurospec type headlights. the sharp cuttoff --/--/ is be design and prevents drivers from being blinded by the HIDs. the point of headligths is to light the road and not so much 500 feet ahead. you can see a good distance with the proper alignment already. if you think back to when you had halogen lights in a reflector type housing the distance you could see was definitely not as far. so just because these are HIDs doesn't mean you need adjust the lights to see into the infinite. please don't mis-align the lights and blind people. the victim could be a mother, father, brother, sister...etc. there are other people on the road besides yourself.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by caball88
i agree with the others about not raising the headlight alignment. it sounds like some of you have not owned a car with eurospec type headlights. the sharp cuttoff --/--/ is be design and prevents drivers from being blinded by the HIDs. the point of headligths is to light the road and not so much 500 feet ahead. you can see a good distance with the proper alignment already. if you think back to when you had halogen lights in a reflector type housing the distance you could see was definitely not as far. so just because these are HIDs doesn't mean you need adjust the lights to see into the infinite. please don't mis-align the lights and blind people. the victim could be a mother, father, brother, sister...etc. there are other people on the road besides yourself.
I believe people are talking about adjusting their driver's side HID with level to the passenger's side, not raising their HID's to look for UFO's.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xristos
I believe people are talking about adjusting their driver's side HID with level to the passenger's side, not raising their HID's to look for UFO's.
when you are driving in the left lane the driver side HID is the one that is most likely to blind oncoming traffic that is traveling in the opposite direction on a two way street or highway. that is why the driver side headlight is aimed slightly lower than the passenger side.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:56 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

when you are driving in the left lane the driver side HID is the one that is most likely to blind oncoming traffic that is traveling in the opposite direction on a two way street or highway. that is why the driver side headlight is aimed slightly lower than the passenger side.
But don't you all think the HID is rediculously low compare to other cars. I find when I am driving at night sometimes it seem like my headlights aren't even on or both on. All I can see ahead of me is a small yellow light reflection off rear bumper of the car ahead of me 20feet away. I think my Type R lights reflect even brighter off the rear bumpers. I sat in my friend's BMW/Audi/Mercedez C-class/G35 coupe and you can see a very bright HID reflection off the rear bumper of the car ahead of you even 50 feet away from you. But not my car and thought the lights might need to be adjusted a bit. I know it is very unsafe and not proper to blind ppl but who said adjusting it a bit higher would blind ppl. It is not like ppl are going to adjust it 2-4 inches higher but just a tab bit will do it.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Can someone please post a pic of where this spot to adjust is. I must be blind, becuase I do not see a whole to stick a screwdriver in anywhere, I even lifted up the rubber top that connects to the front grille and I did not see anything.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Instructor

I just drive with my high beams on at all times, never had an issue with not being able to see far enough.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Team Anthracite

I think my lights are too low as well. But I don't want to blind people either. Hmmm so let"s see, blind people/do not blind people, blind people/do not blind people. Boy...this is really a hard decision... .
Old 09-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Racer

hopefully some of these people listen to us and return the the hids to the factory setting.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:22 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by William_B
I just drive with my high beams on at all times, never had an issue with not being able to see far enough.
Please! Tell me you're joking!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

When I did my adjustment, I did not raise the driver's side to that of the passenger side for the reasons mentioned by other members. I had a Xenon system on my 2002 Altima SE and it did not have projector headlamps but rather reflector headlamps so there was nowhere near the drastic cutoff we have with the TL. So I suspect those might have been more of an annoyance to on-coming cars than those on my TL.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Yes, they is - they sho 'nuff is!!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Where is the gear to adjust it? Do you have to lift the black plastic piece off?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ed99
But don't you all think the HID is rediculously low compare to other cars. I find when I am driving at night sometimes it seem like my headlights aren't even on or both on. All I can see ahead of me is a small yellow light reflection off rear bumper of the car ahead of me 20feet away. I think my Type R lights reflect even brighter off the rear bumpers. I sat in my friend's BMW/Audi/Mercedez C-class/G35 coupe and you can see a very bright HID reflection off the rear bumper of the car ahead of you even 50 feet away from you. But not my car and thought the lights might need to be adjusted a bit. I know it is very unsafe and not proper to blind ppl but who said adjusting it a bit higher would blind ppl. It is not like ppl are going to adjust it 2-4 inches higher but just a tab bit will do it.
there is a difference between projector style lights and reflector style. the light coming out of the TL is more focused and has a sharp cuttoff. reflector style headligths disperse the light and begin to fade in intensity as the distance grows. that is why the projector style lights are aimed so low. there is not as much dispersion of light as the distance grows. i had bmw eurospec headlights in my last car and the cuttoff was very similar to the TL. the aiming procedure for them set them very low as well. alot of forum members on the bmw message boards complained that the lights were aimed too low and we had a similar discussion. if i can remember if you were about 25 feet back of a car the cuttoff should not pass his rear bumper height(assuming the bumper is the same height as yours).
Old 09-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

To GaleForce;

No, you can easily make the adjustment through the hole in the plastic cover.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:04 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

However if I was to lower my car 2inches then I would definately need to raise the lights then!!!! Do all of you see a purple hue just above the cuttoff of the light??? And why is it when you just turn the lights on the color of our light is blue and then turns whiter when it warms up. I thought the hotter it gets the bluer it will be????? BUt seems to work the opposite!!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:00 AM
10th Gear

I used to have a Cadillac CTS and the HIDs were aimed really low so I took the car to the dealership and asked them to raise them to the maximum legal limit. They aimed them pretty high and the result was incredible illumination, and while I got flashed every so often, the police cruisers I encountered at night never saw a need to pull me over.
Rather than mess with the lights yourselves, I'd recommend complaining that you can't see far enough at night the next time you visit your dealer and asking them to raise them to the maximum legal limit. At least with Cadillac, this adjustment was done under warranty and I figured that I could always blame the dealership if there was ever a problem/issue with the aim.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Advanced

For some reason with my fogs on, I always get high beamed.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Probably because it's not as common to see fog lights directly next to the driving lights. It appears like many cars look when the high beams are on, especially next to the HIDs. I would personally much prefer the fog lights positioned below the driving lights.

Originally Posted by sparkz
For some reason with my fogs on, I always get high beamed.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

where is this hole in the plastic cover!!!???

Quick Reply: Is our HID LIGHTS pointing too low???