3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch test-Maguires wins big against Zaino!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ouch test-Maguires wins big against Zaino!

This is to all those debaters of Maguires VS Zaino. Unfornately today I found three, decent sized, white scape marks all in a row on my driver's side door. I assume that this was from a careless child flinging their door into mine. Why they parked on the non-parking spot (grass) in my corner spot is beyond me. Anyway, I went home an immediately put Maguires NXT on one of the three scrapes and had a friend bring over his "precious Zaino" to try on the other scrape. When all was said and done, the Maguires scrape was virtually indetectable. Zaino.....well let's just say that my "ouch" wasn't better until I applied the Maguires on the Zaino spot and enjoyed the look on my friend's face. :lol2:
Thanks to all of you faithful Maguires users who convinced this 2 week TL owner to buy it. Now, all I need is to find a new parking spot....
Old 04-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which zanio product did you use. Z2 or Z5? One is made for scratches and one is just for shine.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Safety Car

i am big meguair fan and have always used their products. i have a bottle of NXT that i am waiting to try when the weather permits. i resisted the urge to spend 80 bucks on the zaino.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I believe it was the Z5 but I couldn't get ahold of him to ask. I was so frazzled about the scratches I didn't pay attention.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
You state that the Meguiars "wins big". I don't know which will win yet, but a little food for thought. In the test you ran - a good polishing compound would have won big - becuase that's what would do the best job of getting rid of a scratch.

Without any further waxing or polishing, compare the two in six months. That will be a better indication of which one is the winner for the typical user.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Peach Tea

i was very close to spending $80 on the zaino kit, but i also wanted to try meguiars nxt just to see. i think i'll save my $80 and continue to use mothers claybar, then use meguiars nxt after, then maybe some s100
Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro

i tryed the meguiars nxt wax also and imma have to agree with him. it does wonders to your paintjob. it made my paint alot more deeper and darker like it advertises. i have always used meguiars and love all of their products.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:38 PM
ULOOZ

Talking

Have not tried the NXT yet.... Meguires 26 polish is slicker than whale s%#t on an ice flow!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:40 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've seen so many pictures of Zainoed on this site but have not seen any NXTed. Can somebody post PICS?
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have tried BOTH Meguiars NXT and Zaino on my TL. The shine and smoothness and "feel" are virtually indistinguishable to me. The NXT is said to be Meguiars longest-lasting wax (6 months with one application) and is much cheaper than Zaino. The great thing about both of these products is that you can apply it over the entire car all at once and they leave no white residue.
Peach Tea

anyone used the meguiars nxt car wash? i'm thinkin about pickin some up, it's only like $6
Old 04-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Question Hmmm.....

I bought the Zaino kit and it sits on my kitchen table waiting for a TL to use it on.

There is nothing in my kit for scrapes or scratches. Zaino is a paint sealer. It is not a polish in that sense (abrasives). Yes, the Z5 is recommended for swirls (microscopic scratches) and the claybar for contaminants.

If I get a scrape or bad scratch, I would use my polishing compound or the poor mans equivalent: toothpaste. Works just as good.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75433

if you guys look at that thread there i have pics of my car after i just washed and waxed it with the meguiars nxt wax.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I use Meguiar's NXT wax on my TL too.

Here's a shot on a fairly overcast day. It's still got the old wheels on, but once the day is sunny I'll go out and take some newer photos with my 18s.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro

looking good
Old 04-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Originally Posted by Lore
I use Meguiar's NXT wax on my TL too.

Here's a shot on a fairly overcast day. It's still got the old wheels on, but once the day is sunny I'll go out and take some newer photos with my 18s.

Maybe a bad picture because of the sky but it definitely doesn't look as shiny as my 4-coat Zaino Anthracite.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:00 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well, the day was overcast and it was it was about 7pm when I took the photo. When the day gets better I'll take another one. Bear in mind that it's also not recently waxed.. probably been about a month so a lot of dust has accumulated. I only just got the California duster this weekend. =)

Take a look at the front hood area. It's pretty darn shiny there.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the NXT wax, booster wax, car wash and protectant. I like them all. The effect is more dramatic on darker colors. 2 coats work great. After 2 coats there is no visible improvement anymore. The booster wax is great for your monthly application then you can apply the regular wax say every 3 to 6 months. The wax applies and removes very easily.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:18 AM
Burning Brakes

where can I buy the NXT product by Meguiars. Can you get it at Pep Boys and Auto Zone, etc? Or does it have to be specially ordered?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Banned

Definately doesnt look as shiny as Zaino by any means of the imagination. I was the #1 skeptic on Zaino,.. but after the test of time ZAINO has won me over bigtime.. washing my car 1-2 times a week and it is holding up STRONG! Stronger than any of the 50 waxes or polishes I've ever tried. And you DONT have to buy the whole ZAINO kit.., you guys are putting a "slant" on that.. $75 will get you virtually everything you will ever need.. also my z polish and zfx will last me well over a year and thats with 4 coats.. every 3-6 months..
Old 04-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PetesTL
I have tried BOTH Meguiars NXT and Zaino on my TL. The shine and smoothness and "feel" are virtually indistinguishable to me. The NXT is said to be Meguiars longest-lasting wax (6 months with one application) and is much cheaper than Zaino. The great thing about both of these products is that you can apply it over the entire car all at once and they leave no white residue.
From what I have heard, the NXT is more expensive than Zaino. How much is the NXT, vs Zaino Z2?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just completed mine using the NXT Wash, then the Claying system, and finally 2 coats of NXT Was and the results are awesome. I ordered all 3 direct from Meguiras and had it within a week.

Is was very easy to apply, the clay was key to the project and regardless of what polish you use definately do not skip that step.

It is hard to imagine the paint looking any more reflective, so for me the $14.99 bottle of NFX polish is a winner.

Do a search of NXT and many exotic car forums rave this product, BMW, Corvette, Benz,etc

Still a bottle of #26, I guess that is now retired.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Banned

best product I've ever used is Z6 WOW! It wins over Meguirs Final Inspection.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

And from a slightly different angle:

Taken today with the better light.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

NXT wax is 15 bucks Zaino is 80 bucks for the kit. its a easy decision for me price and quality and time involved.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by caball88
NXT wax is 15 bucks Zaino is 80 bucks for the kit. its a easy decision for me price and quality and time involved.
To be fair, the Zaino kit also includes other items that you "must" use with the NXT. The quick Clay system is about $10, plus the NXT car wash is about $5 for a large bottle. You will be out about $35 for a similar setup from Meguiras.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why are you comparing one bottle of NXT against an entire kit of Zaino? I have waxed many cars with just Zaino Z2. Why does eveyone think that just because Sal (Zaino) want to get you to buy all of his products, that you have to? Meguairs always has said the same thing - use this first, then another, then another.

I'm mystified as to why everyone thinks you have to use all of those Zaino products for it to work.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Banned

your WACKED dude.. LMAO

Zaino is NOT 80 bucks LOL or even remotely close to it...

compare it to z polish and zfx only..

you just lost a TON of credibility making such an obsurd statement..
Old 04-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Banned

just z6.. going to post pics...lets comparo k...

i will stipulate nxt lasts as long just for kicks..(doubt it)
lets compare SHINE!!! pics coming tomorrow..
Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Just for the record, my car has not been washed or waxed in over a month, and was recently dusted off with the California Duster a few days ago. That said, carry on with your comparisons...
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If ever I see a better shine than rkilian's zainoed NBP, I will believe NXT or whatever.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EFlecha
your WACKED dude.. LMAO

well just have to wait and see the pics. but also remember you have 4 coats of zaino.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Again people comparing a kit to a single bottle... if you're going to compare apples to apples, compare the price of Z2 with a bottle of NXT. There's about a $3 difference if I recall.

Also... I don't see what covering up scratches has to do with a polish. If the scratch isn't too deep, I've used my thumb to polish it. There you go, my thumb is better than any polish or wax. lol.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Again people comparing a kit to a single bottle... if you're going to compare apples to apples, compare the price of Z2 with a bottle of NXT. There's about a $3 difference if I recall.
I thought I read that the Z-2 had to be mixed with the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive. If so then they are not similar in price. NXT = $15. Z-2 plus ZFX = $33
Old 04-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Banned

its still not "$80" compared to $15 ??? and z2 does not HAVE to have zfx, zfx just helps the bonding but you can use z2 all by itself.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Drifting

You guys buy a $35,000 car, then b##ch about the cost of a bottle of wax...get real guys!! Zaino is a fine product..but it doesn't have abrasives to remove scratches...it's mainly a protective coat..and it works fine. I've been using carnuba wax for years on all my cars, and lately I got a Zaino kit...and from what I've seen...it shines just as well....not better...not worse...but it lasts far longer than wax. Also, you can NEVER tell how shiny a wax or any other product is from a picture..it's something you have to look closely to notice...and things like the clarity of reflections all determine the final shine...and they are too subtle and subjective to see in a picture on a website. The one thing I notice is in my garage.....the reflection of the light on the celing in the paint is one way to tell how shiny a wax is. The other day before I tried Zaino...the light bulb looked fuzzy and distorted in the reflection of the paint before I tried Zaino....just the raw paint....3 weeks old....and then after I applied a few coats of Zaino on the hood...I noticed a much clearer reflection of the light bulb...and I could see the filament and glass bulb..something that before was just a fuzzy distorted image...and after the Zaino it was clearly visible as a light bulb with a seperate filament and glass enclosure....a light bulb!!.....not big..but the only true test of a shine. Now...I didn't try wax....so I can't compare..but it's something you could never notice in a picture.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Banned

that being said, NXT makes Zaino look like total garbage..

just look at my zainoed car.. looks like total garbage doesn't it? :facelick:

thats with morning dew on it.. :lol1: and bad angles again due to rushing the pics..
AND I know I know I know.. h/r's are coming soon.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 AM
VTEC HoooA

WOW!! Lore your ride looks amazing! Any more shots of the car??
Old 04-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EFlecha
your WACKED dude.. LMAO

thanks for being nice about it...sh*t, wtf did i ever say to you??? are you that offended by the fact that i choose nxt over zaino. i never said nxt was better than zaino. i just said it was cheaper and faster. i admit i made a mistake i can't compare the entire zaino kit to a wax, so 80 vs 35 bucks. and just because i got a 35K car doesn't mean i have to spend money of the most expensive wax i can find(i know its not the most expensive). if something works just as good and does not harm the car why does it matter? did we all lose the sense to find a bargain after we got the TL? mother f*er, i have to say that from the time i have been on this forum its shocking how rude people are to each other somtimes. i thought this was a place where we shared ideas and helped each other out. shoot i didn't know zaino was so taboo, i know now never to diss it cause its the best detailing product on earth and god must have invented it.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Drifting

"did we all lose the sense to find a bargain after we got the TL? mother f*er,"

did we miss our anger managment class today??

you are right about people being rude on this forum, but you are not making it any better with statments like that. the idea is to help each other with comments and suggestions about our cars, if someone makes a comment, it's not always meant to be insulting or rude, just people with opinions.

Quick Reply: Ouch test-Maguires wins big against Zaino!