3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered my 04 TL...what price should I expect when it arrives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ordered my 04 TL...what price should I expect when it arrives?

I merely ordered the car and said over and over again to them that we will talk numbers when the car actually comes in, but I am wondering what I should expect to pay for the following...

6MT w/ Navigation (Performance Package)
Redondo Red
Full Body Kit
Wing Spoiler
Aluminum Trim

I am very much in love with this car and everyone says that the fact that I ordered the red will make it a little more rare. I personally like the deep red, but many said that I should have got the silver or black. I just see too many Acuras in the more common colors and always loved this red.

I just dont want to get raped on the price and thus far with all my body-kit add-ons they threw a number around 38,000 at me and I just said "order the car" and thats why I am here. Not to mention hitting like three other Acura dealers to pit them against each other.

I have test driven all sorts of vehicles in this class and I must admit that if it wasnt for my g/f's 2000 TL, I wouldnt have looked twice at Acura. I just hope I can achieve 300hp when the bolt-ons come out! The last decision I need to make is between this car and the 04 Mystichrome Mustang Cobra. I know these are two different classes of cars, but that pretty much nails down the under 40k cars of choice for me. I can afford my Porsche right now (waaaah).

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Ordered my 04 TL...what price should I expect when it arrives?

It seems to be the very rare combo with 6MT/Navi. IMO, MSRP plus 500-2000?

I personally prefer having price tag with my order... except that's the dealership and salesman I trust fully.

Good Luck to you...
Old 01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Expect you'll have to pay about the same as what they figure they can sell it for to the next guy who walks in off the street. But if they don't want their name trashed on this site, you should get first shot at it.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Racer

You ordered this car with first negotiating price???
Old 01-26-2004, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear

Ordered...not paid for!!

LOL...I never committed to anything, just "ordered" it. When it gets here if they wanna move it that night, I would think they would be more motivated to throw in a couple discounts.

Plus it gives me time to get other offers.

I never signed a piece of paper saying I would take the car...Just specified what I wanted
Old 01-26-2004, 05:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

It's a double-edged sword. They can just as easily say "Well, sir, you didn't put down a deposit so we will sell it to the first customer who does."

With the combination that you ordered so hard to find, be prepared to wait a long time for that car to come in a second time if they sell it to someone else who was in the right place at the right time...

Just a word of caution!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:07 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Cool Don't wait

If you wait until the car's there, they've got you and will work to use that leverage. If you go ahead and complete the details (in writting) prior to that time, then your in the drivers seat. They don't want you to be in the driver seat so they want to wait until it gets here to get the most $'s they can out of it.:argue:
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 PM
Instructor

It seems like there are deals to be had in some areas and not in others. My feeling is that if you are willing to wait as late as June, there will be deals a plenty.

My Red/Ebony/Navi comes in 3 wks. I have a verbal agreement on MSRP with my $2K deposit, but I have heard of dealerships in my area going over MSRP. I hope they don't try to jack me.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, if they go ahead and add the full body kit and wing spoiler (the aluminum trim is standard if I'm understanding you right), then it becomes a more specific car and harder to move to someone else. I suspect that when a red comes in they will call you up to see if you still want it before installing the add-ons. They would be foolish to install before you commit. The dealer in town had a few TLs with optional equipment installed "to demonstrate what the options look like" when it first came out. The heavily optioned cars had an extra sticker to describe the extra charges. These cars sat for a while and I doubt very much they were sold for even close to their total asking price.

So, if you don't mind taking a chance of not getting your car on time, then you might do very well if by some small chance the salesman calls you up and says "ok, we've got your car in and their adding the kit right now". But if you're set on your car by a certain date, I'd find someone I trust and get a set price, a delivery date, and a VIN#, and plunk your FULLY REFUNDABLE FOR ANY REASON deposit down.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BlackBirdXX,

I suspect you've given away all of the control of the deal to the dealership.

If the dealership is crazy enough to order all the add-ons for your vehicle before you sign on the dotted line, then they are not too bright. If they are even stupider, they'll order and install all your stuff - which will put some (but not all) of the power back in your hands. I don't suspect this will happen.

I'm guessing that they will bring in the stock car & show it to you - and that's when you are going to deal. If it has Navi, it will sell - and pretty quickly, based on the current demand. If you aren't interested in buying before they've ordered the optional equipment, your negotiating will just end there. If you are the least bit interested, though, you've given away most of your bargaining advantage. They will probably know sooner than you will that you've been "hooked" - you'll be seeing the colors & most of the options that you want, sitting there right in front of you, ready to drive home within a few days. This is usually a "done deal" for many salespeople, and they know it.

If this is what happens, you won't get much bargaining room - probably $500 or so off the stock vehicle, and not much bargaining room on the options. They will already know that it is exactly the car you wanted, and that even if you walk away after the first (or second) bargaining session, you'll probably be back to buy on the time after that for near MSRP.

If you want to gain some control back on the deal, your best bet is to stop almost all communication with the dealership. Hopefully, you haven't stopped back at the dealership since the car was ordered. Each time that you go back to the dealership, it's another indication to them that you are "hooked", and your final price will go up accordingly. If you gone back to the dealership 3 or 4 times since you "ordered" the car, just face the facts - you're already "hooked".

However, if you haven't gone back to the dealership (or called them), you may regain some control. Here's my suggestion: When they call you to let you know that the car is on their lot, put off seeing them for a few (2 or 3) days. Keep in mind that you may lose the car to another buyer during this time, but that's a risk that you may need to take if you want to bargain. If you show up the day it arrives, you're showing too much interest - and losing bargaining points. If you wait the few extra days, this can add some uncertainty to the dealership as to whether you are as interested in the car as they think you are.

When you do go back to the dealership to see the car for the first time, you may want to tell them early on that your financial situation has changed since ordering the car - your job may be at risk, and it doesn't make as much sense to buy the car as it did when you ordered it. Tell them that you'll need to think about it more, and let them call you back (which will probably be the next day or two). The ball will be back in your court now ... and you can probably get a better deal.