Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options, Options, TL wins in flood, Sunroof MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Options, Options, TL wins in flood, Sunroof MPG

First I have basically $1100 to spend on mods for the next 6 months. I know part of option 1 is a need and option 2 is a want, but just want to see because I don't mind the scuffs and bumps that badly. These are the options:

$280 Type-S Tail Lights and Side Markers
$300 for scuffs for front bumper and rear bumper
$250 UR Pulley with install
$200 Buffing Machine with Polish/Compound/Wax Materials

Total: $1030

Or

Acura TL ATLP Dual Exhaust

Total: $1100 (not including installation if I choose to go that route)

Secondly, it rained really bad in Southeast Texas last weekend (primarily why I did not buy AEM V2 CAI) and two cars hydrolocked in my neighborhood. One was a 5 Series BMW brand new (2008) and Brand New C Class Mercedes (2009 800 miles). I dared and drove past the flood so the BMW and Mercedes tried to follow, I past it and the BMW and Mercedes got Hydrolocked! I drove in first gear because supposedly in low gears during high waters is a good thing, dunno why, learned it somewhere back then

Sorry for iPhone pictures!

Thirdly, is leaving your sunroof open (tilt) decrease MPG? Either highway or city? I think I've seen decreased via MID. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
My opinion, i would get option 1 but take out the 200 detailer and get your lights cleared/blackened but JnC or whoever in your area that can do it. This is judging by your avatar pics. BTW i bought and returned a 30 buffer that is crappy. What buffer are you getting that is 200 bucks?
Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
meguiars DA polisher is the best way to go...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
if you're into suspension work...richie's strut bar is a GREAT addition! along with his pre-cats, j-pipe and test pipe. i have...all 4! lol
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by LTxArucAx60
My opinion, i would get option 1 but take out the 200 detailer and get your lights cleared/blackened but JnC or whoever in your area that can do it. This is judging by your avatar pics. BTW i bought and returned a 30 buffer that is crappy. What buffer are you getting that is 200 bucks?
I totally forgot about clearing my headlights! I may be taking out the polish/buffer/wax and just clean the car myself with what I have for now and maybe later get it bought. I'm getting the buffer from excel detail a vendor on Acurazine and the supplies. I think I'm going to use the $200 from the polish/buffer/wax towards clear headlights and ZKW replicas and future Phillips or Kaixen HIDS.

Originally Posted by erick3
if you're into suspension work...richie's strut bar is a GREAT addition! along with his pre-cats, j-pipe and test pipe. i have...all 4! lol
Only wish I had enough money for that! So many people on these forums that spends over 5k on mods. I've only got the body kit. I'm so far behind and I've owned my TL since October.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:09 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 all the way
Old 04-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531

Thirdly, is leaving your sunroof open (tilt) decrease MPG? Either highway or city? I think I've seen decreased via MID. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Yes, it will decrease your MPG. Reason is because when you open your sunroof, the boundary layer for the air to glide past will not be there. Windspeed is highest at the surface of the car (boundary layer, first 0.5 - 1.0 mm), and if that sunroof is open, the MPG will decrease.

If possible, leave the A/C off and the windows up. If you have to use either, crack open the windows up to about 35 MPH, and use the A/C after that.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I saw a UDM for sale in the black market section......
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Burning Brakes

holy shnikies thats alot of flooding... go with the atlp exhaust and install it yourselff it is very easy to install.... dont worry about the scuffs on the bumper anyways idk what 300 dollars would do to remove them but i had the same problem if there not a huge problem dont worry about them.... but then again i think a buffer would be a great investment, go with the exhaust
Old 04-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Burning Brakes

oh yea and dont drive through waters that deep whether u have an aftermarket intake or a stock one remember an intake is an intake it will suck in water if it gets that high then ur in alotttt of trouble i wouldnt do that again if i were u
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look in blackmarket where time to time there are TL-S tail lights and Sidemarker for sale at a good price

and clear your headlights
Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
i think theres one right now for 185 - type s tails
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Yes, it will decrease your MPG. Reason is because when you open your sunroof, the boundary layer for the air to glide past will not be there. Windspeed is highest at the surface of the car (boundary layer, first 0.5 - 1.0 mm), and if that sunroof is open, the MPG will decrease.

If possible, leave the A/C off and the windows up. If you have to use either, crack open the windows up to about 35 MPH, and use the A/C after that.
Sounds like engineering talk to me!

In addition to boundry layer disruption, youll also get a recirculation zone (air will swirl to fill in the space not forming a boundary layer). This is not good for aerodynamics either.

Bottom line, opening windows or sunroof will decrease mpg's.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM
et.org

when i saw those pictures i thought, you must be from houston. lol
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
We had golf ball size hail up here during that storm.. every car in my area got destroyed ($7-10k). I have a few dings but nothing that PDR won't resolve. Definitely don't chance it again.. even though you're running a stock air intake.

Have you considered a Comptech exhaust? You can clear your headlights for only a few bucks.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy

Thanks! Exactly what I thought.

Originally Posted by TLNY04
holy shnikies thats alot of flooding... go with the atlp exhaust and install it yourselff it is very easy to install.... dont worry about the scuffs on the bumper anyways idk what 300 dollars would do to remove them but i had the same problem if there not a huge problem dont worry about them.... but then again i think a buffer would be a great investment, go with the exhaust
I think I'm leaning towards option 1. Just because ATLP Exhaust is about sound. Dynos prove some performance, but with the price of exhaust I could get the Jpipe/test pipe/mm deletes and pre-cats delete which would give me a lot greater performance than just the ATLP Exhaust, even though I love the look of the ATLP Exhaust so much!

Originally Posted by TLNY04
oh yea and dont drive through waters that deep whether u have an aftermarket intake or a stock one remember an intake is an intake it will suck in water if it gets that high then ur in alotttt of trouble i wouldnt do that again if i were u
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
Sounds like engineering talk to me!

In addition to boundry layer disruption, youll also get a recirculation zone (air will swirl to fill in the space not forming a boundary layer). This is not good for aerodynamics either.

Bottom line, opening windows or sunroof will decrease mpg's.
I was told and taught that opening windows after 40 MPH will decrease HP. Before 40 MPH will not disturb wind resistance. After 40 it will.

Originally Posted by tiennet
when i saw those pictures i thought, you must be from houston. lol
Originally Posted by Majofo
We had golf ball size hail up here during that storm.. every car in my area got destroyed ($7-10k). I have a few dings but nothing that PDR won't resolve. Definitely don't chance it again.. even though you're running a stock air intake.

Have you considered a Comptech exhaust? You can clear your headlights for only a few bucks.
That sucks, we just had pouring rain. Yeah I shouldn't but the water was getting higher and was still pouring really bad, so I just decided to go through it with the low level of water or I would have hydrolocked my engine anyways just because it was still pouring rain. I would go to ATLP Exhaust if I had money to spend than the Comptech Exhaust just because it looks better and sounds smoother to me.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by TheChamp531

I was told and taught that opening windows after 40 MPH will decrease HP. Before 40 MPH will not disturb wind resistance. After 40 it will.

Well thats somewhat true to the point that under 35-40 mph opening your windows will reduce your mpgs negligable amounts, which equates to practically nothing and is much less than running your a/c at that speed.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Damn crazy flooding...as for the options I would probably go with option 1. Im pretty anal about my car so having a nice paint job is priority number 1. Though right now my paint is not perfect, I need one of those UDM things.