Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimum Settings For Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Optimum Settings For Sound System

I know that there have been a few suggestions in other threads about how to set up the sound parameters for the sound system. I don't think a thread has been devoted to the topic. I am asking those who have spent the time playing with the system to advise how they have set up the balance, fader, treble, subwoofer etc. settings to achieve the best sound with DVD-A.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it varies depending on the disc. For some, I like to push more into the back, but for others it seems to work better with it more prominently up front, and others right smack in the middle. I never adjust left to right.

I like to keep the center channel high. And I am generally not a huge "bass guy" so I tend to keep the sub and bass settings around 6-7 with the treble up around 9.

As for volume, definitely an 11!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Burning Brakes

I've found that the source material often requires different settings. XM seems to be lacking in treble/high end, while my iPod sometimes requires a bass boost (even if I have the eq active on the iPod). DVD's seem to be highly dependent on the mix. I was VERY disappointed in the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD....they mixed out almost ALL the great bass drum resonance on "Hotel California"....I think my CD sounds much better for that particular recording. The volume level between FM and XM is also significantly different.

As for wishes........I only wish they had powered the system with a little more testosterone. Driving with the windows open can easily require more "oomph" than the system has. However, it's VERY clean sounding system which could account for that desire (distortion always makes things SOUND louder more easily).
Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Definitely... system needs a lil more punch. I listen mainly to hiphop/pop/and of course everyones favorite 140 ESPN! hahaha but when im listening to hip hop, the treble is just as important as the bass. I admit it is clear quality sound, but just doesnt have the thump.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
DNA
Instructor

Back in November I posted a frequency response graph of my TL's audio system using CD as the test-tone source. (I have no audio test DVD.) It shows that the system extends nicely down to 20 Hz, is very mid-bass heavy, drops back down in the mid-range, has a strong peak around 6 Khz, and then drops rapidly above about 8 Khz. I came to the conclusion, as have others, that a 2-3 click reduction of the bass helps clean up the muddy bass considerably and since it doesn't over-power the highs as much, brings out the highs.

The subwoofer control results in the most natural response if it is also dropped a couple clicks. But I don't mind a little high boost in the deep bass myself even if it isn't accurate.

One might think that it would also help to increase the treble control to compensate for the loss of upper highs but this doesn't work, at least not for me. There are two reasons for this, I think. First of all, there is already a strong peak around 6 KHz, as I stated above, and increasing the treble only makes this worse. Secondly, the upper-high frequency drop-off above 8 KHz is so severe that boosting the treble control doesn't help much.

My normal audio control positions are 3 clicks lower on the bass with all other controls flat (in the center).
Old 04-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Intermediate

Question Sub-woofer control???

Several people have mentioned a sub-woofer control. Maybe I'm blind, dumb, or both, but I haven't seen one on my system. All I see is volume, bass, trebble, fade, and balance.

'04 TL 5AT - Abyss Pearl Blue/ Quartz no nav
Old 04-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cosmogo
Several people have mentioned a sub-woofer control. Maybe I'm blind, dumb, or both, but I haven't seen one on my system. All I see is volume, bass, trebble, fade, and balance.

Punch through those controls slowly....SubW shows up at the very end, I think.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:48 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cosmogo

You could always read your owners manual!
Old 07-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Team Anthracite

im still experimenting myself...

so far though, i think the friggin NEON i was driving before had fuller bass and low midrange

still a work in progress though. i am going to try balancing it to the rear speakers so it sounds more even to me.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Has someone talked this a few days ago...? Or something I'm missing here?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:59 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yeah someone told cosmogo to read the manual... that's what resurrected the thread.