Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPINIONS NEEDED: 350Z vs ACURA TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LAWNMORE
I bought an 04Z TA5 Touring in jan.of 04 and the acceleration and handeling are superb. However as a daily driver the constant BUMPY ride and the tire noise finally got to me and I sold it in dec 04. So now i'm driving an 05 TL AT5 and although I kind of miss the Z 's preformance I sure do enjoy the nice quiet ride and all the other features the Z doesn't even offer. So if you can stand the ride and noisy interior you will like the Z--- at least for a while. 4 years is a long time. My 2 cents.
I don't know Z 's performance, but one of them was killed already. He start little bit earlier, but when I reached red on second , he was few cars behind.

Go for TL.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiG4s
I looked at the Z, but found it totally usesless for anything practical,, couldn't even fit a set of golf clubs in the hatch because of the shock support. Has less room than a 'Vette. The seats were too small for my shoulder width and were uncomfortableto me, and it has considerably less room than my old Integra or the new RSX... I know engine wise they are not comparable, but I would rather have an RSX-S than the Z350.. and the comfort and convience of the TL just blows them both away.
I have both 350Z and TL. The user manual of the 350Z has instructions on how to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk. I've never tried it myself but seems like it can be done. However, I have to agree that the Z is very inpractical. There's no front glove compartment. The center compartment is so small that it doesn't even fit a CD. But still, I love the performance. It's fun to drive the Z. I've taken both the Z and the TL to NYC. I think you can't enjoy the fun of driving the Z in NYC. Also, you can't drive the Z in snow without winter tires. If I were you, living in NYC at age 28, I will go with the TL.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way can a TL Kill off a Z if the Z driver knows what they are doing... and as for comparisons who in their right mind says ok a tl sedan or a 2 seater. two entirely different cars. rear wheel vs front wheel.. etc.

If the person can afford either car they have a lot of problems if they cannot differentiate between the two. I also prefer to spend my money on what I want and not be told by people from age 15 to 70 what I should spend my money on...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

Driven Both and 350Z is nothing compared to TL

When I went out car shopping about 6 months ago I drove everything and without a dobt the TL is a better vehicle. It has better feel and higher quality components all the way around. The navigation is a must have in the TL. This will give you plenty to do while you are stuck in traffic. Also the TL has excellent crash safety from all angles. 5 star rating front, side and rear impact. The black leather is beautiful and there are so many features to play with. If I was looking for a sports car I would buy a used Porshe or a Honda S2000. You would have more fun in both of those compared to the Z. Also, why buy a sports car unless you can drive it like one. Also, how about a BMW 330CI? I drove one of those and that has the sports car feel. Drop the Z it is built way to cheap. The G35 has a better interior and looks nice but, gets boring quickly. The TL looks incredible with the right wheels, exhaust and suspension you will be extremely happy. You will get so tired of the Z in just a few months. The interior is pitiful.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

Former 350Z OWNER

I can tell you from past experiance that the 350Z will be a maintenence headach!!

I just traded mine in for a TL three weeks ago. The Z was a fun car but a pain in the ass at the same time. If you have done your homework on the Z you should already know that the factory has never fixed the suspension problem in the front end. You will be going through a set of front tires every 8,000 miles. And the factory will only pay for the first set of replacements.

Secondly, the Z is NOT A SNOW CAR!!!!!!!!I tried to drive mine about two months ago here in Portland, Oregon in the snow. I did fine doing about 15 M.P.H. , going straight on a downtown street. Then all of a sudden the car hit a VERY SLIGHT road imperfection and the car made an immediate vear to the right. Sending me into a spin and into a side "T" bone crash into a parked car. Needless to say, that cost me about $2,000 to fix the front beak!

In addition, I had the 6 speed manual. Again very fun car to drive but the transmission was a piece of JUNK!!! Exteremely hard shifting car. Again, more quality problems from our friends at Nissan. The Z is no car for heavy traffic driving. It is a road car for the highways.

I know you want the Z because I did and I loved every day of it. But you are comparing apples to oranges here. THERE IS NO COMPARING THESE TWO CARS!

My TL seems to be a fine car. But in the same breath, I'm not satisfied with it either. I can't testify about the TL like these other people only because I've only had it less than three weeks. But I can tell you that I miss my Z. It's just that for what you are describing, the Z would be the wrong car for you.

Also, all the trade magizines are saying that the Z is one of the top ten or top five cars on the road today that has a high resale value. THAT'S B.S. at it's finest. There are so many Z's on the road today that they are a dime a dozen.

Maybe you need to keep shopping! Believe me, if I knew of another car to recommend to you, I would. But I spent two months trying to decide what to do and the TL was my only alternative without going to the BMW's.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Instructor

want the best of both worlds, well minus high end performance, Mazda RX-8. room for 4, and fun to drive, bit slow tho...
Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Zs look midlife crisisy, but ur 28. If your in NYC id get a TL. very, very, comfortable. Its a pretty fricken fast car too. But, if you are married to sports cars get the Z.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:19 PM
SK7
always late

Originally Posted by fan_bo
want the best of both worlds, well minus high end performance, Mazda RX-8. room for 4, and fun to drive, bit slow tho...
i'm 6'4" so a lot of cars such as RX8 dont fit me. Neither is the new accord coupe.

I"m surprised i actually fit in the Z with room to spare.

You all bring up good points. I'll need to make my decision soon though. Not that much time left.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:30 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SK7
i'm 6'4" so a lot of cars such as RX8 dont fit me. Neither is the new accord coupe.

I"m surprised i actually fit in the Z with room to spare.

You all bring up good points. I'll need to make my decision soon though. Not that much time left.

Have you test drove a TL yet??? It all comes down to test driving the car and you would know if that car is for you or not.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by matlack
Secondly, the Z is NOT A SNOW CAR!!!!!!!!I tried to drive mine about two months ago here in Portland, Oregon in the snow. I did fine doing about 15 M.P.H. , going straight on a downtown street. Then all of a sudden the car hit a VERY SLIGHT road imperfection and the car made an immediate vear to the right. Sending me into a spin and into a side "T" bone crash into a parked car. Needless to say, that cost me about $2,000 to fix the front beak!
Dude, did you drive in the snow, on summer tires? If you put a set of Pilot Sport Summer rubber on the TL, I gaurantee you will still end up in a ditch if you drive on any amount of snow.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:49 PM
Advanced

I am a 300zx TwinTurbo owner also, but tell you the truth, the reason i bought my TL is because the looks and performance that sucked me in, plus i can carry more ppl. my z is only good for a few month in summer here. but I think TL is way more than the Luxury and comfort, if you like the bumpy ride, then go for the 350Z, they are pretty slow and nothing special, althought they are the new member to the z family. just remember this advice is coming from a Z owner.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

The 350Z's have WAY more problems than the TL. The 03 and 04 models have problems with feathering on the front tires and many transmissions have been replaced. It has stopped me from buying one of them. The fronts have worn out in little as 3000-4000 miles and I don't think they solved the problem with the 05 models. Nissan will let you have one set of new tires and one alignment...thats it. Just look at the used car ads...tons of 03 and 04 models for sale with about 17-25 miles on them....they are getting dumped. I have a used 03 near my house with 21 k miles for about 21K dollars...
Old 04-02-2005, 06:51 PM
SK7
always late

well after going to the NY auto show last night.

I came to conclusion.................

that i have no idea what to do.

gonnna go test drive TL and the Z again tomm and then make my decision for sure
Old 04-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

that i have no idea what to do.
I am also car confused...I like the Z, but with the stories of the suspension and tranny....its hard to pull the trigger. I also test drove the G35, I did not like the way its suspension was tuned. I am single and no kids, I don't need a backseat for some stupid golf bag. If its nice enough to golf, then I am on my Aprilia RSV motorcycle.
The TL is Very nice, but its not made for backroads adventures. If you mostly do open road driving and some city then go with the TL, but expect to feel torque steer if you power out of a turn with the wheels turned. Its a very powerfull car, probably on the limit for a FWD platform. If you need a backseat then its probably the way to go. Get the 6 speed too, not the slushbox.
I also test drove a GTO....yes a GTO. The LS motor with RWD made it a blast to drive. But the brakes and steering needed some work. For a GM product the interior was not too bad either. I tried other cars too..but a 6'4" and 200 pounds the S2000 and its ilk (TT, Boxter, RX8) were way too small for me.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL, you get damn good performance, and some luxury with room for kids, stuff and you get awesome audio, NAV and you can get Brembo, etc

I would ONLY get the 350Z if you plan to mod heavily and you go to the track. Otherwise, the TL is almost as fast. The 350 Interor is the usual Nissan garbage and its a good buy around 30k but over that, your nuts.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 AM
SK7
always late

well 5AT 350z runs 1/4 mile in about 13.9
and Auto has far less problems then Manual. plus I"M ONLY LOOKING FOR AUTO CAR.
anyone know how TL does in 1/4 mile

how about some spirited driving.... how does TL handle in the twisties???
Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SK7
well 5AT 350z runs 1/4 mile in about 13.9
and Auto has far less problems then Manual. plus I"M ONLY LOOKING FOR AUTO CAR.
anyone know how TL does in 1/4 mile

how about some spirited driving.... how does TL handle in the twisties???

heh, then maybe you should consider buy my 300zx 2+2 TwinTurbo, its way faster than the 350z, plus you got more toys to play with =)
Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
SK7
always late

i never really liked that body style.... sorry