Open Road Acura (nj)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Road Acura (nj)

finally picked up my TL from open road acura in east brunswick, nj

and i love the car but have some issues with the dealer

1) the dealer name sticker was on teh car after i called in 3 days prior 2 the cars prep that i do not want teh sticker on there
2) the guy that tried 2 sell me the warrenty told me lie after lie after lie
He 1st told me the acura warrenty was 4yrs 40,000 miles on everything including powertrain, he tried selling me a 3rd party warrenty rather than acura's warrenty for more than what acura charges, he told me lowjack would get me about $70 off my insurance per year, found out 2day that it is only $24/yr

The dealer is known to have a good reputation but after this i dont think i will be buying my son's RSX from here.

but besides that I love the car, once this rain stops i can reallly get more of a feel for it. Only thing that bothers me is in teh rain it is very hard to see out of the rear window. I've read a thread on that, but i dont think rain-x will work because the wind doesnt rly hit the rear window, it glides over it.

Seats are amazing
Audio is amazing
The car is amazing

This is my first acura and I am very happy with it, just wish the dealers knew a bit more.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new ride.

Question: Not to be "judgy", but if you're 27, how are you already in the market to be buying your son an RSX? Are you just thinking ahead?

BTW - My salesman was a real piece of work. It's almost like he got paid by the lie. I eventually caught him red handed, called him on it, and made out well by making him look dumb in front of the finance guy.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Racer

I had a terrible experience with Open Road Acura of Wayne. I'm hoping they send me something in the mail to rate my experience. If not, I'm gonna write something to Acura.

Terrible dealer experience, Great Car.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by SilverStoneTTL
I'm hoping they send me something in the mail to rate my experience. If not, I'm gonna write something to Acura.
They will. I got mine about 4-6 weeks after I picked the car up. Held on to it all summer... then finally mailed it back to Acura with a fair review of my crappy dealer experience (Clair Acura, NH) this past Tuesday. Hoping to get a call from ACS so I can go into more detail. I want my sales guy buried.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
Congrats on the new ride.

Question: Not to be "judgy", but if you're 27, how are you already in the market to be buying your son an RSX? Are you just thinking ahead?

BTW - My salesman was a real piece of work. It's almost like he got paid by the lie. I eventually caught him red handed, called him on it, and made out well by making him look dumb in front of the finance guy.

Wow, how did I mess that one up, I was born in 58 not 78. I'm still new to this online forum thing
Old 10-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Glad to have ya on the board....

LOL! hey you're still young at heart....
Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought my car from there too (east bruns one). There were plenty of BS tatics thrown at me, but I got past them. Who was your salesman? My guy was decent (Sam Wiener), but everyone around him was a total dick:
- young sales manager tried telling me he couldn't sell me the car so cheap...later on i did get it cheaper
- Trade in guy low balled big time, I got 2500 more selling it myself
- finance girl was a real bitch, she wouldn't give me anything in writing, so I stuck with Capital One whose rate was only slightly higher
- business office guy (when I paid for the car) tried to sell me bullshit and an overprises warantee

service:
- only been there once, but will be going back shortly
- didn't fix too much on 1st visit (hence I will be going back)

also I never got a survey eventhough my salesman told me to expect it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Team NightHawk VP

i have had terrible experience with this dealership, the thread is floating around somewhere.

the former service manager was a Fn prick. thank god he got demoted to regional recruit. he thought jsut because i was young he could pick on me. but he got the shit at the end.

i dont go to that dealership because of that, and their service appointments take well over a month.

i go to acura of ocean now. its 10 min farther, but they can get me for an appointment usually within 3 days. their service is great, and they have fixed all the problems that i have requested, and some that i didnt even know about.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:59 PM
4th Gear

Dealer Experiences

I ended up with a dealer that I was happy with. Heart Acura in Wappingers Falls was the only dealer that gave me straight quotes with accurate information the first try. I took forever to get the car because I was on constant business trips, but they kept sending notes politely and not obnoxiously; when one other dealer asked the price I was quoted he said he couldn't do it because it was "near cost" (not accurate - it was modestly over invoice, which is exactly what Heart had said). When I decided that I had to get the car (my other car - an 87 Camry that I'd driven infrequently til I got transferred out of Manhattan - was worn out and would have needed a couple of thousand dollars of work and then its muffler blew, so the Acura purchase became a priority) I called, tested the TL and TSX, loved the TL, and they found my color, w/Navi, in a day, got it from another dealer and had it to me quickly (it had a couple of small extras that I didn't ask for and didn't have to pay for), and got 4.4% financing without my having searched for it. No attempts to sell extended warranties that I didn't want, no garbage. I am absolutely sure that I could have gotten some more money taken off the price but they literally saved me 2-3 weekends of dealing with different dealers. For a whole lot of reasons I tend to value my spare time at about $75/hour so when I calculate the time saved it was quite a bit.

Just thought I'd mention a good experience - no garbage, no deception, no abuse, just a decent level of professionalism. The experience did not make my skin crawl and that's quite remarkable for a car purchase.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
djxtc21 welcome on board from another 47 year old TLer. I've had mine for 6 months and I still get a big grim on my face when I see it parked in my driveway.

Yes, it is an amazing car!!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got mine at Open Road in Wayne, and they were actually really nice to me. Well, we did have to sit there and put on our game face to get the price we wanted, but after the deal was done, everything was good.
Congrats on the new car. You're gonna love it, and Acurazine is your encyclopedia to this car.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:33 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
If you need to get an RSX, go to Park Ave Acura (great dealership). I have a salesman I bought many Acura's from that could probably give you a good deal. PM me if interested in any help.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got my TL from Ryan's Open Road, forgot my sales guy name, but he was on of the older fatter guys.

i think i was there for almost 3-4 hours going back and forth with prices, eventually we came to 32,500 For my TL, which is Auto, and has Navi. i also traded in my 03 6 Speed CL-S for 19,500. i think i did fairly well with the prices, but as usual they tried to sell me all of their BS, but i turned it all down
Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 AM
tTLiang

Talking

first congrat!!

quote from the pelican in finding nemo:

"sorry if i ever took a swipe at ya. fish's gotta swim. bird's gotta eat"

expectation for a car sales? the same person does sell use car too you know that? ;-)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Park Avenue Acura is good..Might be a bit far if you are in central jersey though. I hear the one in Princeton is pretty good too
Old 10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

I make trips up to the Paramus area once or twice a month for family, so its not too bad
Old 10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Burning Brakes

There are two acura dealers in my area of south jersey, susman and turnersville.
We went to susman first, the they were nice, gave a good price for our trade ins,
but could not get the car we wanted, they had black on black and silver on black
in the 6 speed, that was it.

First time we wnt to turnersville, we wandered around in the show room for 1/2
hour then left, no one would help us.
2nd visit, we had to wait for about 1/2 hour before someone helped us, they
did not have the car but said they could get it.
They gave us a low trade in, tried to sell us all the extra crap, and did not come down on the price as much as susman, even though we walked out twice.

They were somewhat unpleasant to deal with, real hard core car sales types,
but they did get the car we wanted and overall the price/trade in bit was
not real bad.
They tried some stupid tricks like factoring in the tax savings
over the trade ins into the price of the car, we had to tell them to stop
that nonsense a few times before they gave up.
They love to bundle things to disguise the real price of the car.

You are in control if the car is on the lot, if they have to get it, its a lot harder
to drive a hard bargan.

Brett
Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I too picked up a TL from Open Road Acura in E. Brunswick at the beginning of Oct, 05. The finance guy was terrible, trying to sell me Acura financing, but I had a good rate from my credit union. He also tried to sell all the extra junk I didn't need, but his heart wasn't in it after losing the financing deal. He did screw up filling out the title paper work; I had to catch him and correct it. Which he half-assedly did. Wasn't sure till the title came in that he got it right.

Acura called with a satisfaction survey within a week or so. Gave pretty bad ratings for the finance portion of the "sales experience." In a couple of days I got a call from the dealership's customer relationship manager asking for details. She followed up with their title clerk to make sure it was filed right.

They didn't have the car we wanted, but said they'd get it from another dealer within a couple of days. It was really more like 7 days. I too explicitly asked them not to put any dealer labels on the car. But come pick up time, I saw an "Open Road Acura" tag on it. Salesman tried to weasel out of it, "But it is so small." Stood my ground, so they took it off in about 5 minutes! (I was surprised how quickly they did it; but then I hadn't signed over the payment check to them yet, so maybe that was motivation enough.)

Overall, the salesman was OK, the finance manager was not.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
shoulda gone to DCH
Old 10-27-2005, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

same experience with open road

We had a reasonable experience in 00 with open road. Had a horrible experience when leasing our 03 tL. Went to Precision in Princeton and were treated well. Tried to go to Open Road for a service problem(check engine light) and was told they could see us in a few weeks because we had purchased the car elsewhere.
Just not an easy place to do business. And we live 2 miles from the dealer. Won't go there again .
Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Astroboy
shoulda gone to DCH
Well, I did start my search there. But DCH didn't have the color combo I was looking for (SSM/Quartz) with 6MT+Navi. Plus Open Road is closer to home. Overall it was an OK experience.