Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One month update

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
One month update

I've had my car for 32 days and 1517 miles today. Bottom line: I still love the car but still wish to have some things improved for future buyers.

Exterior: Still looks good, hasn't gotten old with me yet. I get lots of stares. Over the weekend, the teenagers who live next door were just gawking at the car when I was backing out.

Interior: I still like it, but there are some things that should be changed. The trunk release needs to be moved. Its location makes it difficult to feel or see in the dark, and I have to grope for it after dark. It'd be nice if it were in the same place as the fuel door release, just like on the wife's Accord. You've read my comments about the cheap feel of the lower door doors, though the tilt-out feature is appreciated. the coin holder doesn't hold coins well, and they tend to fall out when I open the center console. I have the stretched leather issue ("butt prints") on my driver's seat, but they seem to improve overnight after I've not been sitting in the seat. I've had a couple of minor rattles emanating from the dash, but these are transient and haven't occurred often. The trip computer is cumbersome to use, especially when driving--too many button pushes. It should be integrated with the navi. I love everything else about the interior and my comments haven't changed in the last month. Some nice touches include: the light inside the center console is handy in the dark. Some people worry about the vanity mirrors and light. The trick to these is: The light shines on YOU, then is reflected in the mirror. My wife has NO trouble using the light at night to apply makeup (from her proper seat...the passenger's seat!!!! She has her car to drive, I don't let her drive mine! ). The blue ambient lights are awesome. The stereo is still wonderful.

Driving experience: I can't wait to get into the car to hear the low, beast-like growl of the engine as it idles. It's almost like it wants you to drive fast. So I do. I almost got one ticket because I wasn't paying attention to speed. The car accelerates so effortlessly and smoothly, and I was in a hurry one morning to see an emergency stroke patient, that I was at 45 mph in a 25 before I knew it. The policeman took mercy on me (it was 6 AM and the road was empty, so who was I going to hurt other than myself?). So potential buyers, beware! The handling is great. There's virtually no body roll unless I'm trying to force it by driving 6/10. The ride is reasonably smooth on the freeway, is a little rough on rough road, but not as rough as my 2002 with Comptechs. This is a well-behaved car--for example, if I hit a significant joint on a bridge, or a single bump on the freeway, I feel 1-2 controlled bounces, then smooth ride again. The only issue I have is that the steering feels slightly overboosted. I've adjusted to it, but I would like more heavy steering, just like in the wife's 2001 Accord. The braking is still softer than I'd like but it is still miles ahead of the 2002 TL.

Navigation: I now use voice commands to control most of the essential functions, with the exception of the radio--the wheel buttons suffice. You have to learn the commands from the manual, as some commands that would make sense ("climate control off" for example) just plain don't work. The navi is pretty much accurate--not too many sensitive government sites around Cleveland. It is SO easy to use. When I enter a destination and go past a recommended turn, the navi system automatically recalculates a route for you to follow, no muss, no fuss. I don't know how I ever lived without a navi. The navi also completes the center instrument stack--it looks so much nicer than the non-navi dash.

PHEW. Again, I'm enjoying the car and encourage everybody to test drive it. I'd love to drive a 6MT when the are more available, just for the experience.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Team SSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only had my TL 2 days and can't agree with you more. By the way, the 6MT is a kick in the pants.

Have you thought about replacing the front and rear turn signal bulbs with LED's to match the brake/marker lights?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:22 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copter,

Can you provide a review of the 6MT?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 11-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by copter
Have you thought about replacing the front and rear turn signal bulbs with LED's to match the brake/marker lights?
Nope, can't say I have. Things look fine as they are to me. By the way, why DON'T you post a review of your 6MT? I agree with Jon, we'd all be happy to hear your experience rowing your gears....
Old 11-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Racer

Thanks for the update. I have 850 miles on mine now, and my experience is pretty much like your's. The "butt print" problem is barely noticable in my seats. During spirited driving I wish the seats had more side support though.

-r
Old 11-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Team SSM

Well, let's just say I drive a 02 Camaro at work and the TL has as much get up and go as the Camaro with 310hp.. Give me at least a week with the car and I'll post a review. I've been told I have the only 6MT in the SF Bay Area...
Old 11-05-2003, 01:11 AM
Advanced

Got my s/ebony/6mt/navi a week ago. Took a 150 mile drive up the coast last weekend. The 6 speed is great! First takes a little getting used too. Car performs very well on the curves and I can feel the limited slip working under hard throttle and even moderate speeds. Brembos are great! Have not used them hard but they require very little pressure. I'm glad I waited for the manual!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Great review. I have only test-driven, but I agree with your requested changes.

The trip computer is cumbersome and under-featured.

I have no experience with the coin holder.

My wife has an 03 Accord EX-V6-Navi and "climate control off" works every time. I cannot imagine that going away in the 04 TL.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Pro

Great update neuronbob. I've had my TL now for 5 days and absolutely love it. I agree with your points completely. The steering could be a bit heavier but it is way better than the 2000 TL that I traded in. The trunk button could also be better positioned although it is lit now at least but it is a bit low down. I'd like to see it back where the last TL's was on the lower part of the door. Also, I noticed that, and this is being very picky, the button for the heated mirrors is not lit and I had a hard time finding it to turn it on or off in the dark.

I still absolutely love this car though.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

One other comment I just thought of. At night, the steering wheel buttons are lit. After a while, they are quite warm--not uncomfortably so, but after a long day of driving they might be so?

Anyone else notice this? Any burned palms or fingers?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally posted by neuronbob
One other comment I just thought of. At night, the steering wheel buttons are lit. After a while, they are quite warm--not uncomfortably so, but after a long day of driving they might be so?

Anyone else notice this? Any burned palms or fingers?
Gosh and all this timeI thought it was a heated steering wheel.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Banned

I've had my 6 speed for 2 weeks. Only complaint is a small rattle emanating from the sunroof area in real rough roads. Otherwise, no rattles squeaks or other annoyances. Concerning the lakc of side support I think it is more a matter of size. The seats are very wide (for our big butts) but once you do hit the bolster they hold you well plus they are exceptionally confortable. The performance is the best from a honda sedan ever, period. It is as good of not better than any european high performance sedan. Personally I don't think anything less than Ms or AMGs can touch it. The electronic toys are amazing. Every knob, dial or button works with a fluidity that is simply ridiculous.
Yes, its not perfect, they should have gotten rid of the darned trunk hinges instead of hiding them (if 80's civics had scissor hinges why not this car???). Rear seat heaters would be nice. Although the headrests tilt they are easy to push back. Someone help me here!!!! I really cannot find any real faults with this car!!!!!! Any nitpickings I may ever have disappear every time I shift into second gear and floor the gas pedal and I feel that surge of negative G's push me into that plush leather while blasting some *****ing tune out of the radio. This car will accomodate my every mood, if I'm relaxed I just open the sunroof play some Diana Krall and shift to 5th or 6th, if I'm rowdy just switch to AC/DC shift to second and give the young punk in the Mustang GT a lesson or 2. Driving this car is nirvana, THANK YOU HONDA!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Someone had a pretty good list of features to add in another thread.

Heated steering wheel would be high on mine.

OnStar.

The most important for me would be an AWD system. That would basically make this car VERY hard to beat, and if it had these features, the I could care less about the rest.

Sure a little stiffer springs/shocks, etc, but those all come down to preference and the ever lasting sport v. luxury debate.

Power steering height and telescoping so it could be hooked into the memory would be nice.

what else, what else, what else...???
Old 11-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree about the whole MID display. Too many buttons to push to switch between info. Why do I have to hit "select" to get the trip computer to display each time? Going backward through menus should be the same as forwards, but somtimes you take a different path. I find it confusing and annoying, but I'll get used to it. There should also be some sort of multi mode that automatically switches between all displays every few seconds (you can see where my eyes are). Would all be better if the Navi had a screen for these items.

Auto On headlamps is another key missing item. Especially with the NAV. It switches to night mode when the headlights are on (rather than using time of day and sunset - all known to the satellite system). So you can't just leave the lights on all the time, or you have to swith the Nav to day mode manually. Similarly, get rid of the chime when you open the car door with the lights on. The system is going to turn them off for you anyway (I need to find the wire to disable this chime).

The key fob door lock should have an option to allow you to lock the doors while one of them is open. I often have to lift something heavy out of the back seat with both hands, and want to lock the doors before I do this.

The head rest is too wide. It makes backing up more difficult.

The window ledge is too high with the seat down low. Makes resting your elbow there uncomfortable.

Fold down rear seats would be nice.

These are all minor complaints really. Overall love the car.

I also noticed the "butt prints" So I looked at several other high end cars, including a Cadillac STS and a Mercedes 550SL. Both had similar butt prints and wrinkles on the bolster. Of course, neither was brand new, but...
Old 11-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by jgrahamiii
So you can't just leave the lights on all the time, or you have to swith the Nav to day mode manually.
Try using the "max" button on the left side of the dash when the lights are on during the day. (Or maybe you already are.) It will set the dash lights to max brightness, and the Navi to day mode.

-r
Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Often use the Max switch. Can also just set the Nav manually to day mode. Eitherway, it is not automatic, as it should be, and I might as well just turn off the lights. Anyone see any aftermarket kits to turn on the lights automatically? It appears there is a light sensor on the dash. Anyway to take advantage of that? Would seem all we need is a relay.