3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One HID is emitting "yellower" light than the other... What now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One HID is emitting "yellower" light than the other... What now?

As titled, I figured one is yellower than the other when low-beam is on... I know there isn't two bulbs that are completely the same but I don't suppose 4300K HID to emit yellowish light. It was not extremely obvious but it took me 3 secs looking at it to find that out.

I have cleared my headlight... mounted a set of led lights (i am not taking power from the HID's fuse)... grounded a wire from the battery to the throttle body... that's about it... don't think any of those caused the problem...
(or is it?)

Is it just normal and I should accept it or should I ask acura to check it out for me?
Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 02:51 AM
Intermediate

A little follow-up... I disconnected the grounding wire, disconnected the led lights... nothing changed... so it wasn't those that caused the problem...
Old 11-20-2005, 02:51 PM
6MT & LSD

1. The driver's side projector is aimed slightly lower than the passenger's, so the color might not appear identical at a given anglr.

2. The HID bulbs need to be broken in - it is a tad yellowish at first. How old is your TL?

If it bothers you enough, best go see your friendly dealer.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Swap the bulbs only to see if it is bulb or transformer related.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

ndx2, It's a yr 2004, purchased it late 2004, so it has been more than a year. I didn't look at the HID well enough until a few days ago I went behind a car and notice the different colors reflected by that car's body. I will see what'll happen after adjusting the headlight. Thanks.

triggle, it's a horrible job to swap the bulbs... consider how much job I'll have to do just to test the bulbs out and that there's no gaurantee that swaping the bulbs can solve the problem, i'll pass. Thanks anyways, maybe if I get unhappy enough, I will change out both bulbs to high K ones.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Intermediate

If any HID bulb has been replaced, there is always a good chance they will not match completely.

HID bulbs to have a "break in" period, and they do slightly degrade over time (as any bulb will do).
Perhaps this is what you are experiencing?

Most of what I have read suggests that if you have to replace a HID bulb, you're better off doing it in pairs.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

I am quite surprised if the bulb has degraded... I don't drive often at night and I don't think I have turned them on for more than 500 hours in the last 1 yr and 2 months. I will send the car to the dealer this week and see if they can do something about it (honestly I think it's Acura's responsibility to change out the bulb for me if they can't prove it's me who caused the problem... i mean... wtf... a HID changes its color after less than 500hrs of lifetime?)

And let say I get unhappy enough that I wanna replace the pair of bulbs, which brand should I get? I am pretty set on a set of 6000K.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Intermediate

I live in Richmond, so I sent the car to Richmond Acura. Talked with the person by the front desk and he explained the difference in light was actually because of the headlight being adjusted in different angles. I then asked him to take a closer look and he finally agreed the colors of the two HIDs are different. So he brought the car to the service bay and came back out 15 mins later saying "It was the HID bulb. The head of parts department said because there are A LOT of ELECTRICAL MODICATIONS in the car hence it's not covered by warranty."

Now what I want to tell everybody here is, if it was me who caused the HID to be yellower, I am very glad to buy a set of HID bulbs out of my wallet. Given that, what I did that are related to so called "electrical modications" are, grounded a wire to the throttle body, cleared the headlights, replaced the front turn signal with amber bulbs, mounted a set of led lights, hardwired a passport X50 radar detector, and a few led lights plugged in the lighter socket. And I did disconnect the grounding wire and the led lights but to no available in making the yellowish HID white.

What is my position here? I know in US there's a law that requires the dealer to prove that the malfunction is caused by the owner in order to void the warranty. What about in Canada, do I have a Canadian lawyer here or someone who is familiar in dealing with Canadian car dealers who can help me out in this case?

I can't thank someone more who can help me out...