Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil reminder won't reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil reminder won't reset

I have an '04 TL with 42,000 miles. Always have changed oil myself. For first time can't get service reminder to reset. It is the A1 (oil change and rotate tires). I do the routine of navigating to show oil life, then push reset button and hold it down. But instead of asking if I want to reset, it jumps back to the A1 service reminder. I've tried several times.
While I am at it, I also see the little "envelope" with a 1 next to it when I see the oil life. Can't find any reference to that symbol in the book. Just mentioning it in case that is related to my problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Here is the really long explanation of all this.

I can't find anything about the envelope with the 1, but I reset mine last week and saw the same thing, but I also got a B2 notice, so it's possible the envelope means the 1 reminder showed up before but wasn't properly cleared, but it shouldn't affect the resetting procedure.

This may be more than you want to know, but here's the full procedure to reset the MID display, and also info at the bottom about other service reminders when you manually reset the MID yourself.

(The procedure on page 196 (of the 2004 owner's manual, and probably for later models also but if anyone has a later model with the correct procedure please let me know) of the manual is incorrect. In paragraph 3a of the manual, the requirement to hold the button for 10 seconds the second time it is pressed is omitted. If this is not done, the display will not reset.)

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

This will explain what happens to the other services items when you reset the MID before the service due message appears.

From the service manual, page 3-6: (NOTE: This information is not in the owners manual.

NOTE: If you are resetting the display when the oil life is more than 15%, the maintenance message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed. Make sure the maintenance items requiring service have been performed before resetting the display.
      So this means if you change your oil before the 15% Service Due Soon is displayed, and you go to reset the display, if there are other items to be serviced, they will show up on the display, and if you clear the display the MID will take this to mean that you performed the required service.

To clear the display:
      After you get that service screen hold the reset/select for another 10 seconds.
      It will then ask you if you want to reset.
      Press the reset/select or the YES button (I forget which), and the MID will be reset

The statement from the service manual is a little vague, and I think they meant to say that if other items require service, the message "Service Due Soon" will be displayed, since if there is nothing else requiring service there would be no need for the message.

There is an explanation of how the MID works in the Acura Service News for September 2005 http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050900.PDF
      and more about how you will get additional reminders when resetting the MID before it reaches 15% in the Acura Service News for September 2006: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B060900.PDF
      Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
      7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
      I've got an 07 TL . I handle the oil change myself too. I also had the A1 service message and the oil read <10%. After choosing the trip a, oil and holding the select/reset it jumps back to the A1 message, just as described above. At this point just hold the select/reset again until it asks for confirmation....